• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U: How Many Dungeons Do You Wanna See?

How many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?

• 4 or Less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-7

• 8-10

• 11 or 12

• More than 12!!!

• Total voters

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
Dungeons are a HUUUUGGEEE part of a Zelda game, and every games' dungeons are different. Different in size, different in type, and different in amount.

This thread is to get the opinion of the people of the forum. 3 different questions.

What types of dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?
By this I mean do you want to see: traditional, new mix/variation, non-linear, or what element types, since dungeons since OoT have been elemental.

How big do you want the dungeons to be in Zelda U?
Pretty self-explanatory, do you want them larger, smaller, compact, etc...

And how many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?
(This can be answered in the poll.)

I want to see what people think :D

EDIT (12/30): Love to hear people's thoughts, keep em coming!

I just decided that I wanted to voice my own opinion here :P so here goes:

Types?
I want to see all sorts and varieties of dungeons. Elemental ones aren't bad, just becoming a bit stale when it comes to forest then fire then water etc.. We need to see some mixed elements (like Ancient Cistern in SS) or Dungeons that don't seem like dungeons (Snowpeak Ruins in Tp, Sandship in SS) more often, and instead of having fetch quests for every set amount of dungeons, why not have different motives for each one? This would create more plot between dungeons and keep people more interested throughout the game.

Size?
Who doesn't want long, enticing, and elaborate dungeons? Dungeons should feel immense, like you're undertaking a large task that might seem overwhelming, it should be an adventurous but enjoyable challenge. (But not too large or difficult where the player quits/loses interest)

Amount?
I made the poll because I'm unsure of how many dungeons I want in Zelda U. If you asked me a couple of years ago I would've said 10+, but now I'm not so sure. I thought SS did dungeons pretty damn well tbh (except for the Fire Sanctuary :P), and I don't think I'd mind another 6 Dungeon game, hell, even a 4 dungeon game like MM, as long as they're made really well, with ingenious layout and intelligently made puzzles(but I guess in MM's case, the overworld made up for alot) . But that might be tough for Nintendo to do, and if they want more variety than SS had(since SS sucked at variation), I say 7, 8 or even 9 would suffice.

I'm torn on that last topic^ it all depends on what the mechanics of the developing game are.

OK sorry. Done voicing my opnion. Your thoughts please :D

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
By this I mean do you want to see: traditional, new mix/variation, non-linear, or what element types, since dungeons since OoT have been elemental.

Non-linear and variation/mix of elemental dungeons. Means that I don't have a certain path I have to take in order to complete the dungeon, I can do it any way I want without being forced to use a certain item to progress further. The only thing needed for dungeon completions should be ones brain. To add to this I would like to see a big variation in dungeons, not just the regular fire/earth/water and wind dungeons but a mix between many different themes. Darkness, Light, Technological, Mechanical, Steampunk etc.

(This can be answered in the poll.)

Pretty self-explanatory, do you want them larger, smaller, compact, etc...

I'd love for there to be at least 50 dungeons in the game. About 5 really huge dungeons that take over hours to complete, these dungeons would be the ones necessary to complete if we want to see the end of the main story, now to complete the story you shouldn't be forced to run around in a place for 5 hours, this would only be if you want to fully complete all of the content inside, this means mini-games, side quests etc. and on top of this the main quest; completing all of this should take 5 hours.

Then the rest of the 45 dungeons would be smaller dungeons scattered across Hyrule, fully optional dungeons/caverns that have a variety of different lore items to enrich the Zelda lore even further, side quest, items, mini-games etc.

More than 12. Dungeons doesn't have to be huge by size but by the amount of time you spend on It. Challenging puzzles, exploration and hard boss battles are a great way of doing that. As the above poster said, It would be interesting If there were multiple ways of doing a dungeon but sadly, I'd say that It would take too much time for Nintendo to come up with that for all the dungeons and would most likely end up sacrificing something, maybe less creative puzzles or shorter game.

I'd also like puzzles that involve multiple items and targets that aren't so obvious. I get a bit disappointed at how the item you get at the dungeon is pretty much all you have to use, that really makes the puzzles much easier than what they have to be. Also, It's pretty obvious when to use slingshot, bow and hookshot, they shouldn't only hide targets but make them less obvious while also giving multiple uses for those items. Hookshot could get you to things or bring things to you, maybe have arrow with rope so you can go to high places that doesn't have hookshot target. There could be perhaps explosive slingshot ammunition so you could blow things that bomb can't reach.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Eleventy. Seriously, as many gigantic, complex, puzzle-laden structures as they can fit on the disc. By the end, I want to have to use every item in my arsenal to get through them.

What types of dungeons? Aggressively revolutionary, entirely new, and unapologetically original ones. Seriously, nothing that's been done before, please. I've had enough of the same - in with a new console means in with new dungeons!

How big do I want the dungeons to be? As big as they've ever been. The biggest in the series. There is no reason why this cannot be accomplished.

How many dungeons? There is no amount of dungeons that I would consider too many, as long as quality isn't sacrificed. More than 12.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Totally non-linear dungeons. Lets go back to the days of Legend of Zelda!

I want the dungeons to be HUGE, like half the size of Twilight Princess' Hyrule Field, but have tons of content in every room. I want the dungeons to FEEL like dungeons! :)

Over 12 dungeons. I'm not confident in Nintendo's ability to pull off a measly seven or lower like they did in Majora's Mask, so why not just pack 12+ dungeons into the game?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

They just need to be varied and not follow the same routine. By that, I mean they shouldn't follow that mundane "solve basic puzzles, fight miniboss, collect item, use item to escape miniboss room, solve puzzles with item, find Big Key, fight and kill boss with item" pattern that plagued the GameCube games. Twilight Princess actually had a couple of dungeons that slightly altered this style (Goron Mines and Snowpeak Ruins), but they only shook up the "find Big Key" part. They were still great dungeons in their own right, but they were also pretty basic for Zelda standards.

Dungeons should be like what we saw in the N64 games and Skyward Sword where pretty much every dungeon didn't conform to a specific pattern. At that, they should be even MORE varied than in these games. They shouldn't fall into a pattern of conformity. Sticking to conformity for conformity's sake is simple and lazy design, the kind of design that companies like EA and Activision eat up so they can milk a franchise for as long as possible before they move onto the next. Nintendo's better than that, so they need to keep running with what they've picked back up SS's dungeon design.

Depends on the dungeon. Some dungeons benefit more from being large. Others benefit more from being small. This applies to both the length and height of the dungeons, i.e. how large the rooms are and how many floors there. Again, the dungeons shouldn't stick to conformity. They need to do their own thing and not rely on a set rule of size. That's something Nintendo failed to realize when they designed the bosses for the GameCube games. Look where that got them.

Depends on the length of the dungeons. If they're all gruelingly-long, like the Stone Tower Temple or Lanayru Mining Facility, then 4-5 dungeons would suffice. If they're all short, like the first few dungeons in A Link to the Past or the Earth Temple (SS), then something around 12 would be fitting. If there's a mix of short and long dungeons, then anywhere from 7-10 would be ideal. Beyond that, it really depends on the style of the game. As with the dungeons, Zelda games themselves shouldn't stick to conformity. They obviously need to keep the same core ideas, but there need to be small innovations between each game and different moods to fit each one. Dungeon amount can really help determine that sort of thing when executed right.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Ideally, over 12. Realistically, 9-10. There's no reason for anything under 9.

All kinds of dungeons are fine. The first couple could be traditional and linear to get you used to the game, and all dungeons after that could increase in non-linearity as you progress through the game. As for elements, I'd like to see a combination of different elements in one dungeon. There could be a few with only one element to them, but I haven't seen any dungeons that throw in more than two elements.

I would make the dungeons an average length. I love the stories in most of the Zelda games, but the dungeons provide only a minimal amount of plot advancement.

As many as they can fit in. A Link to the Past had 12 (I think) in it, and I still finished it in a reasonable amount of time. With dungeons of about the same length, they could easily put 16 or so in the next game.

I've always preferred playing Zelda in the moments when we are not required to be in a dungeon, I'm on of the most backwards fans in the Zelda community because i prefer overworld hijinx rather than crawling through dungeons, I've enjoyed very few dungeons over the series which is why i love WW and TP so much, we aren't always designated to be in a dungeon since there is a lot to do in the overworld (and WW was low on the dungeon count), SS was okay in that a few of the dungeons didn't feel like dungeons (Sandship for example) and other were mercifully short.

What types...
1.Forest 2.Fire, 3.Water 4.Something akin to a Shadow/dark temple 5.An out of place dungeon like SS's Sandship 6.Something out of place like the Twilight Palace.

How big
about the length of TP's first forest temple

How many
6 and then the final Boss temple

G

Godunman

8-10, throw in some mini dungeons. We need some room for fun outside of the dungeons.

What types of dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U? As the majority seems to agree, I want dungeons based on wildly different gameplay mechanics, not just "Look, a fire dungeon!" and "Look, a water dungeon!" Try some of these themes on for size:
- A dungeon where you have to regularly manipulate and traverse unruly gravity to proceed (think Super Mario Galaxy's gravity sections)
- A maze-like dungeon that is completely non-linear (perhaps with something chasing you)
- A dungeon where you must redirect magnetism and use your noodle to use said magnetism to progress
- A gargantuan tower where each floor must be solved of its puzzles and enemies to move up (and the scenery out the windows changes until you get above the clouds)
- A dungeon that plays kind of like Metal Gear Solid, where you'll want to remain unseen to avoid an onslaught of enemies and environmental change
Etc., etc., etc.. I think you get the point: dungeons based on gameplay themes, not aesthetic ones. Once the gameplay theme is affixed, attach a visual style to it. Be more creative than "a dungeon filled with fire." What about an ancient, abandoned city? A temple in someone's mind that shifts to their dreams and emotions? An underground cavern filled with diamonds and jewels? In terms of aesthetics, Nintendo should probably focus on location first and element second. As I want dungeons to be able to be done in any order, puzzles should rely on inherent cleverness occasionally supplemented by the dungeon's item. If the dungeons are done in a linear fashion, then they should actively use all dungeon items acquired up to that point.
How big do you want the dungeons to be in Zelda U? As big as they need to be, to run the risk of sounding lame. Long enough to engross players, but not so long that they get impatient and wish the dungeon was over already. Some dungeons can utilize space as part of their gameplay mechanic (like the non-linear maze dungeon I suggested). Otherwise, it matters little to me. No pun intended.
How many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U? Eight trillion. Well, as many as Nintendo can reasonably afford. In truth, I'd prefer 7-10 mandatory dungeons, at least 3 optional dungeons, and a plethora of short "caves" like we saw in Twilight Princess. That's replay value to the max, my friend. Making players do too many dungeons to reach the final boss is going to peeve a lot of people, so no more than 10. As far as optional dungeons go, throw in however many as you can, Nintendo. 3? 5? 100? However many you can afford. As JuicieJ says, optional is optional.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Am I seriously the only one who dosen't consider the original Zelda non-linear? Whatever...:dry:

Anyways I say 8-10. I don't care what kind they are so long as they are fun. lol Size wise I think it would be cool to have both big and small dungeons. :D

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I don't care in the slightest. Majora's Mask had only a few and that turned out fine. A Link to the Past had tons and that was cool, too. What does matter is quality and diversity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom