• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Switch is a Breath of the Wild Sequel with a darker tone. What's your first impressions?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw

There really wasn't much incentive to believe or have faith in Nintendo to show us a glimpse of the next 3D Zelda at this years E3 direct. But they surprised us all with a brief minute of footage for a game that ended with the message "The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development."

What we saw was something that probably had most of us completely awestruck. Link and Zelda exploring the dark underworld of Hyrule. There, they seem to encounter some kind of dead creature, or zombie of sorts. The shot ends with a panorama of the familiar-looking BotW Hyrule and Hyrule Castle ... ascending? The tone is set perfectly with an eerie glitched-out choir and swirling particles forging a most ominous atmosphere.

It looks like, as many people both speculated and hoped for, Breath of the Wild is getting 'the Majora's Mask treatment' - a sequel with the same engine but with a darker tone. (and slick haircut.)

What are your general thoughts on the game? What did you first think when you saw this trailer?

Last edited:
My first impressions are very promising. I think there is potential to tell a very emotional story here like Majora's Mask did before.

It looks like Link and Zelda may be trying to revive Ganondorf here. The malice aura seems to be encompassing the corpse, which I reckon to be Ganondorf's. Perhaps you will need to team up with him against another threat.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I didn't have any expectations of Nintendo or any other developer this E3. I didn't even watch the conference and heard about this in th SB.

Ganondorf is my favourite so I am actually excited to see that he could be coming back. I like this Zombie design. He appears to have rounded ears again like back in the OOT days.

All I can hope for is a more story focussed game and for the weapon breaking mechanic to be made less annoying. BoTW's trailers portrayed an exciting narrative and I don't feel it delivered so the only way is up!

I'd also like a darker tone for the game and I think they'd have to change things up a bit to avoid being an unnecessary just more of the same style sequel.

So excited.

I could really forgive BotW's lack of lore if Aonuma is gonna shape a new mythos with BotW as the new beginning for thr series.

The MM vibes are very strong with this one and I hope that they take this opportunity to focus on characters and story.

I'm a little concerned about the sequel seemingly being set in the Hyrule i've spent 500 hours in already, but more of the same won't be bad if they can make it exciting.

I loved Zelda’s long hair. It was so beautiful. Short hair now... hmmm..
What do you guys think when it will be released?

I loved Zelda’s long hair. It was so beautiful. Short hair now... hmmm..
What do you guys think when it will be released?

Well Animal Crossing has Slipped to march, which is when BotW released. So maybe May?

Nintendo say with the Switch that they are trying not to reveal games 6months before their release. With BotW2 looking like an asset flip then maybe it'll get out around then.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't know why people are expecting more lore this time around. The original BOTW trailer looked like it was a movie trailer, not a game trailer, and it was still bare bones in story/lore, even compared to other Zelda titles.

The green things were gross looking was my first thought.

Oh BotW 2. Cool I guess.

If they add proper dungeons and boss variety and nix the stamina meter and breakable weapons system, I'll be interested in it. If not, then its a hard pass.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I don't know why people are expecting more lore this time around. The original BOTW trailer looked like it was a movie trailer, not a game trailer, and it was still bare bones in story/lore, even compared to other Zelda titles.

I think maybe because probably this game don't have the 'has been asleep for 100 years and everyone is gone'-setup. The true ending of BotW where they set out to help Mipha's father seemed to hint at a more consistent storytelling. I do agree that the great BotW trailer was misleading as heck, but maybe they learned from that, also.

Wow, I totally wasn't expecting a teaser trailer today; I'm so glad I was wrong! I'm also equally surprised to see that this is a direct sequel to BotW. Depending on how this is handled it could be a good thing. I love this iteration of Zelda as a character, so I'm really hoping that she plays a more central and active role in the game this time around, possibly even being playable. It's too early to tell yet, but I feel like the trailer is hinting at this being a possibility.

Also, I'm totally stoked about the creepy vibes going on here! I was afraid that Nintendo wasn't wanting to go dark anymore, but again I'm so happy to be wrong about that. At first it was like Luigi's Mansion 3 was all "I'm going to be the darkest, spookiest trailer of E3," and then BotW 2 was like "Hold my beer." I love it!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am so excited for this! It looks gorgeous, perhaps more than the og! Zelda's new design is fantastic! That zombie appears to be Ganon, with all the malice. It looks lice malice is spreading again and maybe the castle rising is linked to that and what starts the new adventure. I hope Zelda is a partner and/or playable. This looks so sick I love everything we saw.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Some other cuts from the trailer:

0Q30EI3.jpg

d9wQwkv.png

That zombie is totally Ganon.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Zelda with the haircut looks exactly like Link. So I don't see the point in here to create a Link accompanied by Link. And her having the braid on top of her head while everything else is cut short doesn't make sense either. They could call it Link vs Link here. Besides that I am curious about BotW 2. That's more interesting than turning Zelda into Link with a braid in the middle and short hair everywhere else on her head.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm more interested right now in how the world will change due to Ganon's resurrection and what the consequences of that will be. While the overworld was exceptionally diverse and somewhat packed, I don't feel like treading the same ground and meeting the same exact faces a second time through. Hopefully Aonuma and co. are able to resolve this by giving us some new locales and more foes outside of the standard ground units of Ganon's army. Also, it'd be neat if some of our progress could be carried over (like all of the collected outfits and fully powered Master Sword) seeing as this is a direct sequel with events placed afterward.

...Buuuut all things considered, I can give Aonuma the benefit of the doubt on this seeing as the game will likely release within three to four years of the base game, barring a delay. Seven to eight year development cycles were the norm for the last two main titles, so I'd say this is a welcome change of pace overall. The darker tone is also immensely welcome because it hints at a sharper focus on story involvement.

Finally, as far as Link goes, I'd personally like to choose different hairstyles for him that aren't inherently tied to the respective outfits (like that one that gives him a topknot). Think of it as a la Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2 where you could visit a barber and select from a variety of 'dos. It's a small thing, but a little extra customization goes a long way in these kinds of games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom