• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Switch confirmed to be BotW direct sequel; are you happy about that?

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I want to see what they do with it first. This could either be good and an improvement, or seriously not.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
And just for posterity's sake, here is my prediction for BotW2 from the Next Zelda Game Predictions thread.

Zelda Switch 2: The Sequeling will be a carbon copy of BotW.

How do I know this? Because BotW is mediocrity squared. BotW is where the Zelda series reached a singularity. All of Ninty's laziness and cluelessness culminated in BotW. BotW is already a carbon copy of every rehashed modern OHPIN WHARRLDD!!! game in existence. It is Ubisuck school of derivative game design 101 distilled into its base form. BotW tries nothing new - not just for the Zelda series - but for open world games. BotW is where Ninty gave up and said "@#$% it! We'll just do what everyone else is doing!" The Zelda series finally lost its identity, the same identity it helped pioneer that everyone else and their dog has been deriving from for their open world adventure games for decades, when it turned into literally every mainstream AAA open world product in the last ten years.

From here, barring any sort of creative brain fart similar to Majora's Mask (which I am certain Ninty is as 100% intolerant of as any major corporate entertainment company) the only way forward is simply to crank out more carbon copies of BotW with a new title and the same coat of paint until the world is sick to death of em.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's bittersweet. On one hand, this more or less confirms, to me, that there will be no return to the Zelda formula. No more dungeons, no more item progression. And since Aonuma removed that team that handled that, I doubt they could anymore. On the other hand, maybe they can make a decent Open World this time. Nowhere to go but up.

as a matter of fact i'm not, i used to get very excited over practically all news/things Zelda related but since BoTW that changed to being actually cautious about it

now the speculation is 100% confirmed that it is going to be a game exactly like BoTW, so if they don't make a VERY HUGE improvement dungeonwise and esthetic wise (always looking exactly the same ?), this may very well be the first ever Zelda game i might skip (something i taught i would never say about my by very far most beloved game series ever), why so drastically change something that really worked for more than 2 decades

Last edited:

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
For me it makes perfect sense since BotW is such a reboot and fresh start and new groundwork and template and all that.

They could, maybe, have tweaked the art style maybe a little bit to make it more distinguishable. But the darker tone (Which Aonume has said will be consistent through the game.) is perhaps also distinguishable enough.

Yes, i'm extremely happy about it! I'll be even more happy if it's the Zelda II The Adventure of Link to Breath of the Wild's Original The Legend Zelda.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I’m quite disappointed at this news. I really didn’t like BotW, to the point where I still haven’t felt the need or motivation to even finish the game (and I’ve had it since just a few months after launch).

I’ll probably buy the sequel and give it a shot (maybe finish the first), but I’m nowhere near as hyped about it as I was for BotW.

MW7

I'm extremely happy. I hate the long wait between Zelda games as they build a game from nothing, and loved when Nintendo recycled a lot of OoT elements to create MM quickly and that turned out better than 90% of the games in the series anyway imo. The base game engine and graphics are great so I'm glad they are focusing on other aspects of game design. I hope this game does have more traditional dungeons, and I think it's likely given the criticism at BotW's approach to dungeons.

Zelda is no stranger to direct sequels, even if they don't release in quick succession (like Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass) but Like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask before it, Breath of the Wild is getting a direct sequel as the next 3D Zelda.

Are you happy about having a direct sequel to BotW?

If you didn't like BotW are you disappointed?

Did you want something entirely different?

I really hope the breakable weapons system and the stamina meter stay away forever.

BotW was fantastic. While there were tons of easter eggs in it for Zelda fans, it also had a lot more room for story, and mythology development. I hope the sequel adds more of these elements and makes the story or lack there of in BotW better.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm certainly intrigued by what they might do, and I think if they execute things right, there is potential to make a Zelda game that really knocks everything else out of the park. So yeah, I guess I'm pretty happy that their next approach isn't going to be a step backwards like Skyward Sword was to Twilight Princess, if you get my drift.

Definitely looking forward to this, BOTW has so many good things going for it & after spending so much time developing it and building the assets & engine the game uses I'm definitely happy to see it repurposed into another game.
If the DLC is anything to go off then its got a lot of potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom