• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Series Taking a Huge Step Backwards?

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I know some people might get angry by reading this, but somebody has to say it.

After seeing the "HD EXPIRIENCE" Nintendo showed for the WiiU, I couldn't have been more impressed. I bet a lot of people here reacted like that, who wouldn't?

But the implications sadden me quite a bit. See, Skyward Sword will introduce precission as a gameplay element to the series, but no such thing will be possible on the WiiU controller. So the series will undeniably take a huge step backwards.

The innovation of the motion plus could go to waste, just because the so called "hardcore gamers" will no longer take concepts like the Wiimote as anything more than gimmicks. Like they knew what the word means.

Feel free to post your thoughts below. This HAS to be discussed.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The best definition of gimmick would be:
-something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity.
Which is pretty much what the Wii was all about. The main problem that these "hardcore gamers" had was not that the gimmicks were there, but that the alternatives to the gimmicks were poorly supported. Namely the classic controller, which was barely supported at all by most games. That's what really killed the hardcore market. And Nintendo knows it. That's why all their gimmicks now are less... in-your-face than they used to be and they have support for the alternatives or just make them completely optional.
As far as the Zelda series goes though, I'm not sure I understand what exactly this has to do with the series. Nintendo makes the best of what it has to work with when making a Zelda. That's why SS fully untillizes the Wii controls. When a Wii U Zelda comes out, it'll use the new controller to full advantage.

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
Well you never know with the Wii U, they could still use the original Wii controllers (Almost as in you could use the Wii U controller then switch to original) Then again, that is doubtful. So, it could be a step back, but then again maybe the game on the controller could be better than great motion controls...only time will tell.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Thanks for replying, I was expecting an insult or two instead XD. Sorry if I came off as rude. I guess I was in a bad rap at the time of writing. And don't get me wrong, I still think we'll get the Legend of Legends if the next Zelda is anything like the tech demo.

The thing is, yes the wiimote was supposed to attract attention, I wasn't arguing that, but the precission-centric gameplay is quite a step forwards. Going back to button mashing (which they most-likely will) just will be... I don't know, off. The console is essentially the g-word (which I hate using), but among that, quite a few good ideas were made. Also, I've had my share of beefs with the wiimote itself (I prefer using the GC controller when given the chance).

That said, while I understand why it is a g-word, some people just come off as sheep. Throwing the word around senselessly. Heck, even SwS has been slapped with it many times. I guess it's mainly fanboys.

Well you never know with the Wii U, they could still use the original Wii controllers (Almost as in you could use the Wii U controller then switch to original) Then again, that is doubtful. So, it could be a step back, but then again maybe the game on the controller could be better than great motion controls...only time will tell.

Well, wether it would be better or not is not my call (it could well be with a good use of that touchscreen though). No, using a last-gen controller wouldn't be practical.

OMG EDIT: Gimme a fork so I can swallow my words. They're using wiimotes for WiiU.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom