• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda remakes/(enhanced)ports.

Quin

Disaster Master
Zelda has recieved quite a few remakes and ports over the years. Now I ask, which one of them did you like and think of them now as your definitive editions?

Before I voice my own opinion I would like to add that I think all versions of them are a good way to experience the game and you really can't go wrong with any of them

The ones I prefer and go back to on future playtroughs are:

ALTTP SNES/GBA: I have to go for SNES here. The GBA added some neat content, and I enjoyed the Four Sword temple a lot, but the sound and Graphics are just way better on SNES. And it lacks the young link voice clip so thats also a plus.

LA/DX: DX. Don't have to say much here, there is almost no reason to prefer the original. DX just added to what was already there and it was great.

OOT/3D: This is probably nostalgia, but I like the original graphics more, and that version also has the better lightning and non cencored blood. I also like OOT as a console game more with a comfy controller in my hand, and otherwise the 3D version isnt giving me enough reason to pick it over it. I guess boss battles was nice. I'm not picking the n64 version though, but the port to wii/wii u. I cannot stand the N64 controller.

MM/3D: Same as above, but with more hate to the 3D version. Not only did they ruin zora swimming and the ice arrows, the bosses are imo worse too.

FS/AE: Anniversary Edition for sure. Not only do you not have to play the GBA port of ALTTP to unlock everything, it has more content and single player for the less fortunate. I'm afraid this game will be lost with time, I don't see Nintendo rereleasing it, and even emulating isn't possible yet. RIP.

Small mention to never play the EU version of TMC

TWW/HD: Original for me. I don't like the new graphics at all and the quality of life changes don't make it enough for me to prefer it. Not much else to say about this one. RIP tingle tuner.

TP/HD: Again, the original GC version. I can't stand amiibo locked content, and the stamps are dumb too. The graphic update is almost nothing, and they closed of the area in ordon where you can catch an ordon catfish!!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
ALTTP SNES/GBA: I have to go for SNES here. The GBA added some neat content, and I enjoyed the Four Sword temple a lot, but the sound and Graphics are just way better on SNES. And it lacks the young link voice clip so thats also a plus.
Definitely SNES. I've played the Gameboy Advance version, but I never finished it. I guess the SNES version is just more refined, and as you mentioned, the Young Link sound effects are extremely obnoxious (even worse than in Ocarina of Time.)

LA/DX: DX. Don't have to say much here, there is almost no reason to prefer the original. DX just added to what was already there and it was great.
Ya, I've played a little bit of the original and it's just not very fun without the full colour that the DX version provides. They didn't take anything away from the original, and instead just improved it. Plus, I really like the colour dungeon (tho rip those who are colour blind).

OOT/3D: This is probably nostalgia, but I like the original graphics more, and that version also has the better lightning and non cencored blood. I also like OOT as a console game more with a comfy controller in my hand, and otherwise the 3D version isnt giving me enough reason to pick it over it. I guess boss battles was nice. I'm not picking the n64 version though, but the port to wii/wii u. I cannot stand the N64 controller.
I'm not sure I really have a preference here. The original Ocarina of Time's graphics hold up even to this day, but I do think the 3DS version looks nicer for the most part. Though, I do have to say that the final fight with Ganon is not as epic or intense with the brighter lighting that the 3DS version has.

I suppose I'll say the N64 version, but only if it's the original. Further ports of the game removed such things as the Islamic chanting in the Fire Temple, and the animated blood that Ganondorf coughs up. The chanting is what made the Fire Temple cool, when it was replaced with the same sound effect that's heard in the Shadow Temple's background music, it just doesn't feel the same. And Ganondorf vomiting instead of coughing up blood just doesn't have the same effect. These are things that are only in the N64 version (and I think only the really early versions, they may have been changed in later versions. I know at the very least that the Gamecube and Wii versions are censored). Additionally, while I do enjoy that they changed the way the Iron Boots are equipped, the way the 3DS version literally walks you through the Water Temple completely ruined everything that I love about that dungeon.

Though at the same time, the 3DS version gives us the Master Quest included with the game, along with a flipped overworld, which is the only true hard mode in the series we've had yet (I'm not counting Breath of the Wild's Master Mode because that's DLC). It also gave us the boss gauntlet. So I really don't know. I have legitimate reasons to like and dislike both versions.

MM/3D: Same as above, but with more hate to the 3D version. Not only did they ruin zora swimming and the ice arrows, the bosses are imo worse too.
ugh. I like Majora's Mask 3D, if only for the option to play my favourite Zelda game anywhere. But as a whole, I would much rather play the original version, and it is my go-to if the option is available. Not only does the moon look comical and completely non-intimidating, most of the changes they made were completely unnecessary. Fishing Holes? Pointless and out of place. Boss weak points? The lack of these was what made me love the bosses of Majora's Mask in the first place. Changed Zora swimming controls? No thanks, the original ones were smooth and very easy to handle, the new controls are just awkward. No longer saving when the Song of Time is played? Why? Why are we now required to find a bird statue to save the game? I liked the way it worked in the original, with the bird statues working to temporarily pause your progress, while playing the Song of Time saved the game completely.

Man, I was really disappointed with the 3DS remake of this game. Ocarina of Time 3D was a faithful remake. This one is just... not very good. Most of the things they changed were dumb and unnecessary. So, original all the way.

FS/AE: Anniversary Edition for sure. Not only do you not have to play the GBA port of ALTTP to unlock everything, it has more content and single player for the less fortunate. I'm afraid this game will be lost with time, I don't see Nintendo rereleasing it, and even emulating isn't possible yet. RIP.
Both versions of this game suffer from accessibility issues, but the original is the worse offender. I haven't actually played it, mind you, but that's just because it was impossible to without the use of at least two GameBoy Advances and a link cable, neither of which I had. Four Swords Anniversary Edition at least has a single player option, and the multiplayer is far easier to use (though you still need to have at least two 3DS's with copies of the game). Unfortunately though, due to the accessibility problems, neither version is really great (though Anniversary Edition is fun if you actually get the chance to play it). The edge, however, goes to the Anniversary Edition, since I'm actually able to play it.

TWW/HD: Original for me. I don't like the new graphics at all and the quality of life changes don't make it enough for me to prefer it. Not much else to say about this one. RIP tingle tuner.

TP/HD: Again, the original GC version. I can't stand amiibo locked content, and the stamps are dumb too. The graphic update is almost nothing, and they closed of the area in ordon where you can catch an ordon catfish!!
Haven't played either of the HD remakes, though in The Wind Waker's case, I do know about the altered Triforce Quest, which I don't exactly have a problem with. I always liked that part of the game in the original version, but I would never complain if it was a little bit shorter. It's a fun game regardless. I do like the way the HD version looks, too. Same goes for Twilight Princess (even thought the graphical change was really not huge). I'm sure I'd enjoy the HD versions the same as I do the originals, but I'll give the edge to the originals simply because I have yet to play either HD version.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
OOT 3D- I prefer the original. I don't like the lighting in the remake and it ruins the dark atmosphere the game had at points. Also 3D is on a small screen which is less immersive.

WWHD- I much prefer the remake. I don't like the toon style for Zelda games but the remake looks so much better and of course they reduced the length of the Tingle fetch quest which was one of the reasons which stopped me replaying the original past that point on multiple occasions

TPHD- This reveal was disappointing as hell as I expected much better. The graphical updates are not what they should be. It looks like an 2008 xbox360 game rather than a modern one but it at least looks better than the SD version. I honestly think that this remake shouldn't have actually happened until they were willing to do a proper overhaul of the graphics and character models and that amiibo **** that is attached is annoying as hell because I refuse to buy into the scam. I liked the Wii controls better than the gamepad ones too. If given the choice I'd still pick the one with better graphics and at least it has a hero mode which makes the games enemies seem less pitiful.

Nice thread

ALttP SNES/GBA
-Snes for me, I don't like Four Swords or that they added young Link's OoT voice to it. I don't have a problem gaming on handhelds but things felt way more epic in my youth playing his game on my TV and soaking it all up.
There's nothing wrong with GBA ALttP, I just prefer Snes.

LA/DX
-DX for sure, colour graphics, added features and dungeons. All around a better game.

OoT/3D
-3D, yeah the n64 version is golden but 3D feels silky smooth to play, looks wonderful and fixes a few things to give better quality of life (like the iron boots). I don't like the Sheikah hint things theyve put in there, they look out of place (as do the SS posters...) but i can get over it.

MM/3D
-3D but its close, like OoT3D, the updated graphics and colourful colours robbed the sense of dramaticism and mystery but i find it more playable than the original mechanically. MM isnt my favourite Zelda but i do love it, that love isnt strong enough to get fan-defense when things change though. Yeah, the eye balloons on the bosses is weird and the added functions to the time jumping do make things easier... but that's fine with me, its still MM.

FS/AE
-AE by default of it not being a forced multiplayer experience but i still hate it.

WWGC/HD
-GC for sure. I love WW, so i really want to say that the remake that made me buy Nintendo's most tragic console (which i originally played on Nintendo's first tragic console) would be my favourite but...
1. They messed up the lighting. If Link is standing near any other light source that isn't the sun he goes from cel-shade to a horrible Wallace and Gromit style claymation model *shudders*.
2. They added a first person walk. I played with the pro controller mostly but i HAD to play with the gamepad because the pro didnt have gyro and where the sticks were mean that, unless i had an item mapped to the bumper button, i couldnt aim and use it well.
3. I LIKED THE TRIFORCE HUNT OKAY! and while i dont hate the new version its over far too fast.

TP/HD
-HD. Firstly **** the Wii version sideways, this is between HD and GC. HD looks nicer, its the same game but now it looks a little prettier. Fine with me.

Last edited:

ray138

a Mid-West Monster of the Highest Grade
ALttP: I play the SNES version on an emulator with a single mod that turns Link's hair from pink to blonde.
TWW: I prefer the HD remake.

Haven't played any version other than the original for the rest of the series.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Well, I did play ALttP on a SNES Classic...

Now that I think about it, I also played Zelda 1 and 2 on an NES

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Lttp: GBA; I've never played the SNES version I have to admit
LA: original; yes I know DX is objectively better,but I only own the original
OoT: 3d; I prefer the graphics more
MM: original; ok, some of the changes in the 3ds version just bug the hell out of me, so I'd much prefer the n64 version

never played the hd versions of the gamecube games so I'll stick to the originals by default

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
OoT3D high above OoT, and I really wish I could get that version on the big screen instead of a small handheld. And seriously, minus the 3D-gimmick, everything else about it could translate well onto the Switch. You could even have the gyroscope aiming if you want to, so have my fingers crossed for that.

WWHD over WW, though I barely touched the original WW. I love the look of it more, and I don't fancy playing without the Swift sail being an option.

TPHD over TP, love the upgrade, the tweaks that makes collecting everything far less painful.

initialDable

going deku
I haven't played many of these remake except for OOT 3D and MM 3D, I'll speak about those. I have played LAX and FSA Anniversary Edition, but not the originals. I don't have much to say about those.

OOT 3D

It was a great remake, the better of the two N64 remakes in my opinion. It didn't have the luster of the original, but that's to be expected in a remake. The enhanced graphics were nice and the new decorative dodads throughout areas in the game added to the charm. OOT is such a good game, it seems that no matter how many times it's ported, it's still good. The "mirrored" master quest was a strange feature. I'm not sure why it was done other than to disorient seasoned players.

MM3D

I'll start out by saying that overall it was a good game. It still had the fun Majora's Mask game play to it and of course it has the gorgeous graphical enhancement. And we can't forget how much of a time saver being able to skip ahead to any point in time was. Unfortunately the game falls short on so many things. The difficulty was significantly toned down. The "hand holding" was toned up -- with the Sheikah hints and the additional Tatl hint dialogue. I got the impression that fours worlds outside of Clock Town were a little more stovepiped -- especially by moving the Stone Mask to Pirate's Fortress which keeps the player in Great Bay rather than encouraging them to explore another area "out of order" (i.e. Ikana). I suppose that only brings the game in line with the Skyward Sword model of staying in one area of the game at a time. There was also the reworking of some the translations of some of the npc's dialogue in English to be less poetic (What's wrong with calling the Stone Tower emblem a "blood-stained" red emblem rather than simply "glowing"?). There was a denigration of the more mysterious and chilling elements of the game. Some of the quirkier things about the game were eliminated or altered with no reason I could think of other than to make it "make sense". The Zora Link swimming was made worse and the ability to create ice platforms using ice arrows was ridiculously limited. The bosses were remade poorly. Worst of all the entire 3-day cycle lost it's edge by introducing saving at Owl Stones and statues that keep your progress saved whether you play the Song of Time or not. MM is one of my favorite Zelda games and I did enjoy the 3D remake, but there was just so much I believe was not done well with that it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom