• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie?

tecknokid900

All Hail Yhtomit!
Hey All.
I come Bringing a question and some stuff I've heard. I was playing this one game I enjoy called "Kingdoms at War" When I fell upon this one player who was also a Zelda fan like me. It turned out that he lived up in Canada and spoke French up there, Very cool, We got to talking about Zelda and then He mentioned something. "Did you hear about the Zelda Movie?" He said. " No, I've Heard and seen some cartoon shows on Zelda, but I've only seen spoof trailers about a Movie." I said. "well My Favorite band Came out and said that they were making one!" He said. ......It was a Little hard to talk to him because he didn't speak much English, But What I read indicated that they are thinking of making a Zelda Movie. And I was thinking into it when I remembered Shigure Myimoto said something about a "New Zelda".....and so I was wondering, "Is THIS one of the many surprises for this year?"
Tell me what you think.

S

Swedish Link

Oh yes, I have heard this rumoured as well! Dying for any more info. I have heard some names of possible actors being dropped here and there but none of them are really very plausible since I keep hearing different ones from different people. Hm, who would be a good Link? Orlando Bloom? Gah, I don't think I will be satisfied no matter whom they choose.,. I really hope they will go through with it though! Update if you get any more info from your Canadian friend. :)

D

Dendrok

I've some stuff here and there about a new Zelda Movie, I hope they do make one!

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
I hope they do. But I hope they have it like a 3ds kinda thing. And it would be awesome if it was baced off OoT or MM

Ganondork

goo
I've humored the idea of there being a movie for MM, it's the ideal game to make a movie out of since it's fast-paced throughout the whole game (since you only have 3 days). If they make a video, you sure as hell better believe I'm going to the midnight showing of it.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
If they can actually make it good, then sure. I'm all for it. But if it sucks like that stupid Zelda cartoon, then I'm gunna be pissed.

I kind of hope not.
Mario didn't do so well on the big screen.
And the only times Link has been able to talk he was a (1) complete doofus: "I'm so hungry, I could eat an Octorok"
And (2) an annoying prick: "Well Excuuuuuuuuuuse me, Princess!"
Lets just keep him the silent hero on the video games :)

C

Caleb, Of Asui

This is the first I've heard of this rumor. I have mixed feelings about what a Zelda movie could entail, mainly because of the number of different things it could entail. On the one hand, we don't want something like the old Zelda cartoon or the CDi games, and as Seth noted, Mario didn't do so well. That was a while, though, so Nintendo might have learned from their mistakes, and it's no secret that Zelda would likely be much more at home in live-action than Mario.

We want them to make something good, but there are a number of different ways that could go that could meet mixed reception. I remember there being a fake Zelda movie trailer as an April Fool's Joke a few years ago, and I think what they showed there is essentially the kind of movie style that I would be welcome to fitting into the Zelda-verse.

There might be some question as to how to depict Link, though. It seems like it would be harder to determine how to depict him in live action, especially with the choice of the actor and whether or not he speaks. He should have a really friggin' attractive actor (it's Link, come on!), but that actor has to be turned into something we can accept as Link. He would almost certainly have to speak, too, as the concept of a silent protagonist is really catered towards video games and not so much towards movies. Of course, many fans would cry foul to the idea of Link speaking.

And what story do we have this movie tell? I would agree that Majora's Mask would work well, but that might be an unusual game to pick for such a big movie. I would personally really like to see a new story rather than an adaptation, as the movie would then be a purer form of that story.

somewhat hope they dont, I cant explain it I think, but I as much as I dont want voice acting in the games or just the fact of link talking, I dont want the movie.

If they someday make one, I hope its made by animation (anime or cgi) and for the dialogs they do something like in the games

I hope they don't make a Zelda movie. I just don't think that video games make good movies for the most part. Video games and movies are two different things. And a lot of the time the people who make movies off of video games have never played the games in the first place.
Plus I can't think of any actors who could do the Zelda characters justice.

Last edited:

rockercjathere

The Helmaroc Queen
Has anyone ever seen the fanmovie "The Hero of Time"? (im pretty positive its called that). Well, its supposed to be based off OoT's story, but it was changed. Alot.

It was interesting to see the game adapted and interpreted like that, but in my opinion, it was a complete disaster. (A little harsh, but still...) The acting wasn't very good, some of the characters were completely different (personality wise) than the game, and there were some MAJOR storyline changes.

They changed quite a few aspects of the game, which may seem minor to someone who has never played OoT, but it definitely ticked me right off. For one, Saria was Link's adoptive mother. Not kidding. that actually kind of disgusted me. I always saw Saria as Link's greatest friend, and maybe a love interest, and I LOVED that. But seeing her as his mom... I just couldn't accept that. (plus the fact shes a grown woman, but they still live in Kokiri forest.)

Probably the one thing I liked about the film was Impa. Whoever played her, in my opinion, did a wonderful job.

I can't criticize it too much though, because for a fan-made film, it was pretty well done.

To relate this to the question, this is why a movie for Zelda would be nice, but please, not based off a game. There would definitely be changes, and thats something that could ruin a perfectly good movie. Trying to live up the masterpiece that is any single Zelda game is difficult, so making an entire new story might be the best option for a Zelda film.

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I would be against a Zelda movie. Typically Video games do not translate well into movies at all, nor do movies translate into playable games. The two mediums appear to be simply incompatible. Normally they are quickly churned out monstrosities by writer/director teams that I doubt even played ten minutes of the games the movies were based on. Or they are low budget nightmares that only make the franchise look bad by association.

Past movie based on video games shows me enough evidence that movie makers are not quite capable of producing something faithful to the source material.

-Mortal Kombat while watchable it was nowhere near as good as the story of the game, and the sequel was terrible in every way.
-Double Dragon, was just plain awful.
-Streetfighter, also terrible, it is more known for being a horrible movie than anything else.
-Streetfighter Legend of Chun Li, again not watchable. It is a poor kung fu movie at best.
-Resident Evil, while watchable it detracted from the story of the game far too much. The sequels are real bad.
-Bloodrayne, absolutely horrible
-Hitman, I personally did not like it. I heard there were people that do, but I never cared for any part of it.
-Super Mario Bros, I honestly don't know where to begin with this one. It has nothing in common with the games in any way shape or form. And another disaster like that happening to Zelda is what I fear the most.
-Prince of Persia, also a badly done, poorly written translation.

There are many others but the ones that come immediately to mind when I hear video game movie just make me think t myself "Ugh, no......when will they learn?" And it then becomes more of a fear that something similar will happen to Zelda if any ambitious director wants to attempt to make a movie out of it. Then I get visions of Hollywood writer additions to the story like a kid from the present day somehow getting sucked into Hyrule and becoming Link's sidekick, or a blond haired, blue eyed Ganondorf in an attempt not to appear offensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom