• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda MMORGP: Domain of Hyrule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactiastudios

Two nerds on a mission...
Heya folks, how's it going?
I'm new round 'bout these parts and I'm here to pitch off an idea for the general crowd.

There has been an idea floating around for several years of a multiplayer online Zelda game. Well, I'm here to say that we are proudly in the process of developing such a game. The title: Domain of Hyrule. This title is subject to change, if a better name can be thought up of, and it doesn't only happen in Hyrule. Oh, no no no no it doesn't! I'm talking 'bout Hyrule, Termina, Holodrum, Labrynna, Koholint Island, Skyloft, Subrosia, Sunken Hyrule, Old Hyrule, New Hyrule, and the Twilight Realm.
On the subject of locations, we have a map worked out to near perfection. What we will do is in the modern age (TP, MM, OoT era) there will be one generally large landmass of Termina, Hyrule, Holodrum, and Labrynna. Since the computer is hating me today, I will describe this map to the best of my abilities. On the western coast, you have Termina. On the southern coast you have the boarding lands of Holodrum and Labrynna. North of Holodrum and Labrynna, separated by forest and mountains, you have Hyrule. Separating Hyrule and Termina, you have a large desert (Sand Sea/Gerudo desert/Ikana canyon) and a mountain chain. On the northern borders of Hyrule and Termina, you have another mountain chain, mostly snow-ridden but once you get east enough, you will come across Eldin volcano and all that jazz. There will be five "layers" of the map. The past, present, future, twilight, Subrosian. Above this landmass, we will have Skyloft, but only all of it in the past!
With the basic geography aside, we talk about characters. There has been a concern that in a multiplayer game, there will be a thousand Links walking around doing quests. With Domain of Hyrule, you won't have to worry about it. We will set up the customization so that it will be impossible to resemble Link, Zelda, or any of the other major characters in the Zelda series. We plan on having an option to choose from eight unique races. You can choose humans, Hylians, Terminians, Gorons, Dekus, Zoras, Twili, or Subrosian. Each of these races have pros and cons. You will be able to choose special customization for each. For example, with the Gorons, you'll choose what tattoos you have, the general shade of your skin, and what your rock thingies on the Goron's back looks like.. With Zoras, you'll choose what kind of fin you'll have, the shade your skin stuff will be, and other features. I will not go on, but you should get the general idea.
Along with being able to customize your character, you will be able to customize your sword. As you complete dungeons, you will unlock more customizations. You can choose your sword's hilt, hand-guard, blade base, and blade. Some of the customizations will have bonus. However, like the character, you will not be able to make it look like the Master Sword, Four Sword, or any other of those awesome blades. You will also be able to customize your sword spirit(think about Fi). This will be a full customization and you will not be able to let it resemble Fi or Ghirahim.
With this we come to armor. We will have a system similar to RuneScape, but it will more or less resemble the equipment screen in OoT. You will be able to equip a full range of armor. You will also be able to choose from a base set of clothes. These will be layered under the armor. None of these clothes will be the classic green that Link has ever had. For example, you will be able to have Skyloft knight's basic uniform on while having a leather vest (only an example) on top of it. We plan on having 16 equipment slots. This will make the coding difficult, but it should be worth it.
The general content of this game will be all Zelda. We will use as little of our ideas for content. We will have every Zelda item, boss, dungeon, town, and enemy(unless they are repeats). On dungeons, we plan to have it an option to do the dungeon with friends. This mean you can team up against Kalle Demos in the Forbidden Forest. You can also do mini-quests with friends. You can save Romani Ranch with five guys manning the bow 'n arrow. We are also debating the option of having skills like some RPGs, but have not come to a decision.
The graphics are another story. We plan on doing the Beta and basic editions in Minish Cap style graphics, but once we become accustomed enough to the world of 3D, you can bet that this will be in 3D. The style of 3D is still debatable.
At this time we come to the conclusion of our basic subject-to-change idea of the Zelda MMORPG. Overall, this game will be like Four Swords, on some serious steroids mutated with RuneScape. At this time I would like for you to make suggestions, ideas, comment on it, tell us if you like it, what you don't like, if it seems to you like a genius idea, and most of all if you would like to help. Right now, we need basic animations of Link using some items that are not found in MC. We advise you to use The Spriters Resource | Main Page for the sprites. They have a great selection. If there are any great spriters out there, contributions are welcome and will result with your name being in the credits. Email them to me at [email protected]. The time is now yours...

This sounds awesome, if you can pull it off. ^^ Just be very careful about the distribution and marketing of the game. If you made any money off of it whatsoever, Nintendo's lawyers would have a conniption fit.

Galactiastudios

I plan this to be 100% free. If for some reason this ends up not being free, I will disown the game and hand the rights over to my friend.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I plan this to be 100% free. If for some reason this ends up not being free, I will disown the game and hand the rights over to my friend.

Then your friend would have the piranha lawyers on his front yard! That would be a mean thing to do. I think that, from my knowledge as a n00b java programer, a game like this would take a lot of time and effort to make right. If it worked I would be one of the first to join.

I'm not going to lie, the second I read that title I was all, Oh no... Not this again. Then I read it. That would be awesome! I would love the adventure aspect of it. Just a massive world with different lands just waiting to be explored. Man. You bet I will be playing this as soon as I can.

Galactiastudios

Alrighty folks, here's a chance for you to make your mark.
I am in desperate need of Minish Cap style sprites. I need the Twili and Dekus. That is that. If you could, do animations of them at least swinging a sword or something like that. Much appreciated.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Alrighty folks, here's a chance for you to make your mark.
I am in desperate need of Minish Cap style sprites. I need the Twili and Dekus. That is that. If you could, do animations of them at least swinging a sword or something like that. Much appreciated.

Twili and deku's? That is practically my name! I am not a sprite person... but I will see if I can do anything (probably not)

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
This sounds like an awesome idea, I'm very interested in how the whole time-layering thing will work. TBH, it's been a long time since an ZeldaMMO has been out, and the last one died off with no warning that I'm worried the same will happen here. If you're interested, you can visit the website at hyruleonline.net. Last time I checked, though, they still haven't publicly confirmed it's dead, but it's been a couple years since it was up, and more than a few admins have basically stated that the projects been dead for a while.

Some people are probably already wondering this, so I was wondering if we can get some info on what you're coding in and how far you're into developement. The last MMO relied on a game engine they had found laying around, but it was pretty limited and most of the staff was pretty inexperienced in coding, so it was basically stitched together. Another problem was that the staff had very little communication, so taking the time to find out what's going on is very important! Skype would probably help a lot in this area. A mature staff would help, too.

I'm looking forward to any news on this, and best of luck with on it! If you wanna have some people for beta testing, I'd like to help :D(I just hope I have the time XD) I think some minish/picori levels would be cool, you could shrink down and have a whole different perspective on Hyrule! The whole character-customization thing is cool, too. I like how you can't look like Link or a major character, but you DO get a sword spirit, that's pretty smart.

Galactiastudios

I'll check into this.
I'll be posting preview videos to show about how far we are in the game. These previews may not be from the actual game, but will show you about how far we are and some concepts.
Once again, any help ya'll can offer, we'll take and give credit.

I don't really like this idea whatsoever. This world would be based on the Zelda universe, but with multiple people being heros the role of the legendary hero gets downplayed. It would seem that heroic stuff would get done by the common people in this game idea. I don't like the fact of multiplaying especially when there are factors relying on possibly not as good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom