• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Zelda MM Theory: Fierce Deity- Who Was He?

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
While it's true Link tends to fall into adventures, it's not exactly on accident. It's almost always foretold, and he's certainly no reluctant hero.

In OoT, The Deku Tree knows Link is special which is why he raises him and holds back on giving him a fairy until he's ready to go on his adventure. Zelda also knew he was coming because of her power of prophecy
In MM, it's less obvious but I think he was meant to go into that forest too.
In TP, Ordona tells him right off that he's the chosen hero and already had the Triforce of Courage on his hand. Which is why he turned into a wolf and had the hero's clothes when he changed back (btw, I hated that reasoning for putting him in the traditional outfit, they could've had a less stupid way to get him in the tunic)
In SS, it's the most obvious of all: When Zelda gave Link the sail cloth as the "goddess", she didn't realize she really was the goddess and actually was choosing her hero. Oops.

While you are correct that Link is a blank enough character for the player to impress whatever personality they want (having multiple answers when other characters ask him questions helps that along even more) Link always charges headfirst into anything. Whether it's because he's brave or kind of stupid is up for debate.

I see where you are going with Link being a regular joe yet still being the recipient of the triforce of courage. Demise was a powerful demon king who sought to rule everything. His hatred and desire for power was so strong that it lived on for thousands of years seeking like minded people who would inherit his mad desire for power. Then Ganon comes along who was probably power-hungry already and if he is some sort of reincarnation of Demise that would make him the perfect candidate for the ToP. Zelda is obvious because she is the Goddess Hylia in mortal form, so she always gets the ToW.

Perhaps Link always gets the ToC because people don't have to be powerful to have courage. Link may be completely ordinary, maybe not even that strong or clever or that quick to get in a fight, but if there is something he wants to protect he will fight to the last breath. Whether he is a little kid trying to protect his home or a teenager going after missing friends, obstacles mean nothing to him. That's why Hylia chose him in the first place. He represents the human capacity to overcome insurmountable odds.

However I don't see what that has to do with the Fierce Deity Mask. Although apparently the reason it looks so similar to adult Link is because it WAS supposed to be adult Link. The game designers wanted to bring him back for MM but decided that was too repetitive. So they took the same model they had and put a different texture on it, making him an oni instead. The reason he's called Oni-Link is because the mask kids challenged him to a game of tag, and in Japan tag is basically translated to "Pretending to be an oni". So I guess that's why they gave him a mask that turns him into one after he beats all of them.

FayeleneFyre

The local treehugger
I was kinda shocked to come back to Zelda Dungeon and find so many replies on my post! Haha, it's very interesting hearing all your thoughts on the matter : )

I guess the next following question then would be:
What connection is there between Fierce Deity and Link in MM?

Could this world with it's absence of the Triforce (presumably) mean that Link would have been lost to the magics of this world unless touched/blessed/chosen (take your pick) by another god?

Has the Fierce Deity taken to giving Link a portion of his power in the realm of Termina solely to finally confront and defeat Majora?
The only reason I ask is due to the appearance, Fierce Deity is humanoid with a warrior look, and could Hylia's power influence Termina more than just turning back the clock?

Not to take the wheels off the bus but for the sake of argument...
So I know this isn't the most popular theory when it comes to MM but if we go with the idea that Link of Oot is actually dead in MM then it may make some sense that the fierce deity mask is the representation of his spirit. If Termina is some purgatory where Link is coming to terms with his own death then it makes sense that the final mask he receives, only after completing everything (helping everyone), is the mask of his own spirit, the ultimate confirmation/acceptance that he has died. This is also fits in with fact that the only masks that allow to transform are those of dead characters as well as the fact that the elegy of emptiness only works for dead characters, and link... granted the link statue has pupils and the others don't which always seemed to indicate, to me anyway, that he may not be dead, but whatever.

These guys do a pretty good, but corny job of going over the Link is Dead theory if you haven't heard it. I don't know how i feel about it personally but it it's roughly canon and an interesting take on the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
I have no evidence to support this other than how the FD looks and sounds like Link, but maybe he is Link's Terminian counterpart. TCs don't have to have the same or even similar roles as their Hylian counterparts (A prime example is King Zora and Ruto's counterparts, who are for some reason stage performers), so it is entirely possible Link's TC is a Fierce Deity. It could even coencide with most other theories considering they can have different roles, like the Moon God theory above.

Umm... isn't the feirce deity mask made of the regrets of the people of termina? im pretty sure i heard that somewher.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Umm... isn't the feirce deity mask made of the regrets of the people of termina? im pretty sure i heard that somewher.

^That's actually what Eiji Aonuma said in a GameInformer interview where they questioned him on what the Fierce Deity Mask is made of. Except he used the word 'memories' instead of 'regrets' but the inclination is still the same. The quote in question that I'm referring to is this one:

"The best I can give you is just a suggestion. The best way to think of it is that the memories of all the people of Termina are inside of the Fierce Deity mask."

I can't give you a link to the actual interview because it was exclusive to the magazine (subscribers) only, but I do know that ZeldaInformer posted an article about it here that you and look at (Yes, I know its the enemy! Shun knowlee! XD ): http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/a...explains-whose-soul-is-inside-th#.VasqavlQBvY

Either way though I do like the theory of him being the god of the moon and such. It sound plausible as well (makes me think of a fanfiction I read once that actually presented the same theory...), but since Eiji Aonuma said that it was made out of the memories of Termina's citizens, I'm inclined to go with that as the explanation for where he comes from.

Reactions: Dio
Either way though I do like the theory of him being the god of the moon and such. It sound plausible as well (makes me think of a fanfiction I read once that actually presented the same theory...), but since Eiji Aonuma said that it was made out of the memories of Termina's citizens, I'm inclined to go with that as the explanation for where he comes from.

But he also said it was just a suggestion, which says to me that he didn't really know himself.

I personally have no solid theory on the topic, but always considered FD a direct counterpart or eternal enemy of Majora. For the longest time, it was theorized that Majora was the equivalent of the devil in Termina. So does that make FD the opposite, "good" god? Perhaps... It would at least answer why the kid wearing Majora's Mask sees him as the "bad guy".

I'd like to point out that I do find the idea that he is the "moon god" rather intriguing. Though I also just don't get the vibe that this is the case. I guess I really always saw FD as a previous hero in Termina who once defeated the real Majora and sealed him/her inside the mask. The FD mask would be the essence or spirit of that hero that was "healed" and became a mask himself once he died, much like Mikau or Darmani.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Knowlee and Mosley just responded to a thread.

is this 2010?

Wasn't Fierce Deitys supposed to be an Elite Hylian Warrior or something? I always imagined him as a Warrior-God of some sort from the ancient legends or something.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Wasn't Fierce Deitys supposed to be an Elite Hylian Warrior or something? I always imagined him as a Warrior-God of some sort from the ancient legends or something.
There really are no orgins about the Mask in the game, all we know is that it also has Dark Power like Majora's Mask, and that it's obviously very powerful. My friend JC-Hurin wrote a very interesting theory on the possible orgins of the Fierce Dieties' Mask. Look on Page 1, it's the second post in thus thread, Its a very good read you should look over it sometime.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Yeah, Moon God pretty much. I forget where I read it first, though. All I know is that the article was extremely long and made a lot of sense. Also, the Majora's Mask Manga shows the creation of the Majora's Mask, it was a dragon that a man made dance with the tune of his instrument for a long ass time. The man that made the dragon dance resembled the Fierce Deity, iirc.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Yeah, Moon God pretty much. I forget where I read it first, though. All I know is that the article was extremely long and made a lot of sense. Also, the Majora's Mask Manga shows the creation of the Majora's Mask, it was a dragon that a man made dance with the tune of his instrument for a long ass time. The man that made the dragon dance resembled the Fierce Deity, iirc.
NOTE: The manga are not canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom