• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Master Sword Theory

In SS the sword ended up in the Temple of Time, it is possible that the Temple was merely refined and made to look cleaner/ more urban by the magic emanated form the Sword or the goddesses power , it is also possible that perhaps there is another story between Skyward and Ocarina that will explain it

though i would say its most likely that the Ocarina Master Sword is the Master Sword that came from the Four Sword (which is the same Master Sword, just broken then remade), thus explaining the different temple it's in, as it would have been moved during the minish cap- four sword time period

Originally Posted by Ilia

though i would say its most likely that the Ocarina Master Sword is the Master Sword that came from the Four Sword (which is the same Master Sword, just broken then remade), thus explaining the different temple it's in, as it would have been moved during the minish cap- four sword time period

This excerption interested me. I have personally never heard of a Master Sword being forged out of the Four Sword in the games themselves. Would you mind telling me where that happens? I have certainly heard theories of that kind, but never been given any actual in-game evidence.

The last time I heard anything about the connection of the two swords, one where resting in a pedestal in a forest while the other was broken inside another world (i.e. GBA AlttP.) Not to mention the fact that, should the Master Sword from Ocarina of Time be the Four Sword, then the Sword must lose its ability to split people into four during OoT, TP, WW and AlttP, only to get it back during FSA. Moreover, in FSA, Zelda speaks of the Four Sword Sanctuary as something heavily guarded by the Maidens, whereas the Temple of Time was more or less forgotten during the time of TP (and it seems like these places should be the same if the swords are the same).

About the Temple of Time (SS spoilers)

I think that the Sealed Temple is very heavily implied to be the Temple of Time from OoT, especially since the final shot of the Master Sword shows it resting in its pedestal with one ray of light shining upon it, behind a giant door. Not to mention the fact that Aonuma has said that the game depcicts the creation of the Master Sword, and the next time we see the MS is it lying in a pedestal in a temple.

/Blue Window

In Minish Cap the sword from Skyward is broken by Vaati and then remade into the four sword, now it may be that it isn't the sword form Skyward, but the begging of the game says it was from the hero of the sky so...

but I"m thinking its ocarina sword, magic and/or divine intervention just tidied up the temple of time

Originally Posted by Ilia

In Minish Cap the sword from Skyward is broken by Vaati and then remade into the four sword, now it may be that it isn't the sword form Skyward, but the begging of the game says it was from the hero of the sky so...

but I"m thinking its ocarina sword, magic and/or divine intervention just tidied up the temple of time

In TMC, the Hero of Men receives the Picori Blade from the Picori. This blade is, correctly, later reforged into the Four Sword. Thus, TMC Link lived on the surface. SS Link
created the Master Sword out of the Goddess Sword, a Sword that was created by Hylia and put to rest. SS Link brought the Master Sword down to the surface from the sky himself.

/Blue Window

This is what seems to be the history of the Master Sword and the Picori Blade/Four Sword from the new translations of the Historia (thanks to everybody who have translated from the book) (Spoilers all games, of course)

EDIT: Added a new #8 after Locke reminded me on the new FS back story.

1. Hylia, Her Grace, creates the Goddess Sword.

2. SS Link enhances the Goddess Sword and creates the Master Sword.

3. Rauru creates the Temple of Time to seal off the entrance to the Sacred Realm (in which the Triforce rests). The Master Sword is also a part of the seal.

4. The Picori appears with a sword and gives it to the Hero of Men.
5. The Royal Family takes care of the Picori Blade.

6. A new hero draws the Picori Blade (TMC Link).
7. TMC Link enhances the Picori Blade and creates the Four Sword.

8. A hero appears, uses the Picori Blade and the sword was put in a sanctuary.

9. A new hero appears and takes the Four Sword (FS Link).
10. The Four Sword is put back in its pedestal.

11. OoT Link finds the Master Sword.

Adult Timeline;

12A. OoT Link defeats Ganondorf with the Master Sword.

13A. The Master Sword has for some reason [unknown to me] ended up in the basement of the submerged Hyrule Castle.
14A. WW Link draws the Master Sword and kills Ganondorf by pluning it into his head.
15A. The Master Sword is left in Hyrule when the land is flooded for a second time.

Child Timeline:

12B. OoT Link returns to a time before he met Zedla. The Master Sword has not been drawn by OoT Link on this timeline.

13B. TP Link draws the Master Sword, defeats Ganondorf and puts it back in its pedestal.

14B. FSA Link draws the Four Sword from its pedestal, defeats Vaati and seals Ganondorf in the Four Sword.
15B. FSA Link puts the Four Sword back in its pedestal.

Downfall Timeline:

12C. The Master Sword is taken [by someone unknown to me] to the pedestal in the Lost Woods. [This pedestal may be the ruins of the Temple of Time.]

13C. AlttP Link draws the Master Sword, defeats Ganon and puts it back. The Master Sword is supposed to sleep again for all eternity.
14C. The Master Sword may or may not appear in OoX.

/Blue Window

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
6. A new hero draws the Picori Blade (TMC Link).
7. TMC Link enhances the Picori Blade and creates the Four Sword.

8. A new hero appears and takes the Four Sword (FS Link).
9. The Four Sword is put back in its pedestal.
There's another event before 8. told in FS's backstory. Another hero drew the sword and sealed Vaati before FS Link did, and after MC Link did. I always thought this event to have been replaced by MC, but the Historia lists them as separate events.

Hyrule Historia seems to have confirmed what happened to the Master Sword after OoT Link left the AT and what happened to it when he arrived at the CT:

The Hero, Returned to His Time

Princess Zelda seals away Ganon with the help of the Hero of Time, Link, and the sages, and returns Link to his original era. She replaces the Master Sword in its pedestal and firmly closes the Door of Time so that the Sacred Realm can be opened no more.

The Hero of Time’s Return Home

Upon returning to his original era, Link replaces the Master Sword in its pedestal and returns his beloved horse, Epona, to the ranch.

The place where Link returned was the Temple of Time. The Master Sword remained stuck before the time the Sacred Realm was opened. His friend Navi disappeared into the sky, and Link walked into the new history.

(Translated by GlitterBerri on glitterberri.com)

So, Zelda put the Master Sword back on the AT. That is a quite reasonable explanation after all. However, how can Link put the Master Sword back on the CT while the Master Sword at the same time has remainsed untouched?!

/Blue Window

Last edited:
That is odd, considering neither even is shown on screen. When he returns as a child, he's only looking at the Master Sword rather than holding it like he does during the game.

The Four Sword should not be the Master Sword, for many reasons already said, and because its is sealing Vaati, remaining like this until FSA, it would really make no sense for the Four sword to be the Master Sword.

Probably there will be a game where the hero of men gets the Picori Blade and seals the monsters in the Bound Chest

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Someone asked about the placement of the master sword in WW, TP, and ALttP.

TP- Young Link returned the Master Sword to its pedestal. The place where the sword is in TP is the same pedestal, just the ruins of it where forest overtook the area

WW- Not entirely sure how The master sword ends up in the basement of Hyrule Castle. My only explanation is that maybe (just a hypothesis) the people of Hyrule built the castle over/ on the temple of time after the hero of time left this side of the timeline. After all the actual Hyrule Castle is at this point destroyed, as it was turned into Ganon's Tower which was also destroyed. So there is no castle so they built a new one

ALttP-Not really sure how it gets in the lost woods or what exactly happens to it after the hero of time is defeated. Maybe someone that knows link moves it there and makes a new pedestal along with fake swords to confuse people searching for it? I don't know, just a thought.

Hope this helped a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom