• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Manga

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I was recently re reading tha manga and I was wondering, why is it hardly ever mentined? I personally love it but I am a bit biased because it was my intro to the series

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I guess it's mainly because the Zelda manga isn't canon. It has nothing to do with the series itself, they're just adaptions. I suppose that's why they don't draw a lot of attention. They are generally good, but most of them seem rushed, and can't tell the story as good as the game. That could be another reason.

But wow, the manga were your introduction to the series? That's pretty interesting. I hope you've been playing a bunch of the games since then. The games are much better, after all. :)

The Zelda manga is non canon and scrapes most series conventions going so far as to introduce random new races like the Watarara. Additionally, entertainment complements to videogames are never as widely accepted or well received as the original source material. I'm a huge Zelda fan but never go out of the way to purchase the manga because I'd rather interact with the adventure on screen, the way it was meant to be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The manga is hardly mentioned because they're non-canon, adapted, written versions of some games. The games are much more widespread and easily accessed, and they're also games. Not many people read too much these days, and when they do, they usually go after the canon stuff first. I would say the games and manga are about equal because really the manga writers (adapters?) just managed to capture that same essence that the respective game had. It was also very interesting to see Link talk, even if it is non-canon and the stereotypical "Hero's voice". I love all the manga, really.

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I guess it's mainly because the Zelda manga isn't canon. It has nothing to do with the series itself, they're just adaptions. I suppose that's why they don't draw a lot of attention. They are generally good, but most of them seem rushed, and can't tell the story as good as the game. That could be another reason.

But wow, the manga were your introduction to the series? That's pretty interesting. I hope you've been playing a bunch of the games since then. The games are much better, after all. :)
yes I have played about a quarter of the mainstream games since then

Wow, I never met someone who had been introduced to zelda through manga, that's interesting, would you mind me asking wich was the first you read or what made you interested by them in the first place?

I have a couple of the mangas (both volumes of Oot, MM and LttP), and I actually intend to purchase more in the future, even though they are non canon and differ from the games a lot, I still enjoy them ^-^ Even though I agree that the games are better.

They're entertaining, and an interesting way to look at the games from a different perspective, but that's about it. They're not really a big deal.

I havent really enjoyed the ones i've read but there isn't anything wrong with them. I do like the original short stories at the end of of a couple of volumes though like OoT part 2. I'd have rather the authors just done a series of original stories since they seem to have some nice ideas.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I was recently re reading tha manga and I was wondering, why is it hardly ever mentined? I personally love it but I am a bit biased because it was my intro to the series

As before mentioned, the manga isn't canon. Therefore making it go unnoticed/unmentioned for not following core Zelda canon. Personally, I do like the manga's. I only have one volume (Ocarina of Time, Volume I), but I usually read what ZD has provided. I find them to be very entertaining, but unfortunately rather short and rushed. Compiling several hours of gameplay into only a handful of pages, not what I usually expect from a manga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom