• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Zelda in Her Own Game?

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I imagine a thread like this exists somewhere, apologies if it does, but anyhoo I was curious what do you guys think of the idea of Zelda starring as the main character in her own game as the main playable character? Personally I don't know that I would be in favor of the idea, seems a little idk... damaging to the integrity of Zelda seeing as Link has always been the main character and ya know, Zelda has always been the princess. It's not sexist or anything it's just... tradition I guess. The Zelda formula I suppose. I mean sure I'd play the game but idk I'm on the fence about the whole idea itself I guess.

I already posted this minutes ago in the other thread asking about Zelda as a companion, but Zelda can function as a defensive foil to Link in a separate games.

Rather than use traditional weapons like swords and shields, she would utilize magic to disarm foes and try to negotiate peace, not start war. Bearing the Triforce of Wisdom, the Princess of Hyrule would naturally seek alternatives to killing foes.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1) You're supposed to start every thread with "Disclaimer: I'm sorry"

2)
Rather than use traditional weapons like swords and shields, she would utilize magic to disarm foes and try to negotiate peace, not start war. Bearing the Triforce of Wisdom, the Princess of Hyrule would naturally seek alternatives to killing foes.

False. Wisdom means having knowledge and utilizing it in the most effective manner. Seems to me like Link is the most effective manner :I

3) Zelda as a playable character is right by me. Everyone will yell the tradition argument, but Skyward Sword was nothing like tradition...except that WHAT we're doing was pretty much the same thing as the past 15 main entries. Fact is, these artificial barriers of tradition need to be broken. If we can't get female Link, Zelda is the next best bet.

Big Octo

=^)
As others have mentioned, I have similar thread topics, but my stance remains the same. I would love to see Zelda as a playable character in her very own. It would be interesting to expand upon a certain incarnation of her. Personally I think it would be a grand idea to have a side-story from Zelda U on which there is more of a focus on Zelda's point of view.

As for abilities, others have mentioned how she could use magic. I do agree with this, as it seems most fitting to her character. Furthermore, I would find it intriguing to have a game centered around spells, similar to Zelda II, but with a stronger focus on them. Other than magic, using a bow is another possible means of attack, as previous incarnations have shown their prodiciency with it. Adding in a physical weapon to use now and again would break the monotony of only casting magical attacks. In any case, I wouldn't expect Zelda to be helpless in combat.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
What would the benefit be to have Zelda as the main playable character.

Also, here's an old thread about the subject:http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/aonuma-considering-zelda-main-protagonist-43532.html
Better question is what would it possibly hurt?

Also there were 2 zelda games with her as the player controlled character... you know if we wanna consider the CD-I real.

1) You're supposed to start every thread with "Disclaimer: I'm sorry"

2)

False. Wisdom means having knowledge and utilizing it in the most effective manner. Seems to me like Link is the most effective manner :I

3) Zelda as a playable character is right by me. Everyone will yell the tradition argument, but Skyward Sword was nothing like tradition...except that WHAT we're doing was pretty much the same thing as the past 15 main entries. Fact is, these artificial barriers of tradition need to be broken. If we can't get female Link, Zelda is the next best bet.

Wisdom doesn't mean having knowledge at all. Infact zelda has said/ done some pretty stupid things throughout the history of the series. If she had knowledge she could have avoided those mistakes.

Wisdom is more about discretion, problem solving, and logic.

So Gannon has the power, Zelda has the wisdom to use it well, Link has the willpower ... um the ability to be too stupid to know what he's doing .. um, ah, I would say will power but he just does what ever any one tells him... he's motivated ya motivated.... actually he's virtually unstoppable and always presses onward, he falls 500 feet and is only down 1 heart instead of broken leg or dead, rolls his head into a wall over and over and is just fine, surely thats some sort of power.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Better question is what would it possibly hurt?

Also there were 2 zelda games with her as the player controlled character... you know if we wanna consider the CD-I real.
She plays the same way as Link.

Okay another question. If Zelda is the main character, will it be the same games as previous games, or it would have to change to account for her to be the main character?

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
She plays the same way as Link.

Okay another question. If Zelda is the main character, will it be he same games as previous games, or it would have to change to account for her to be the main character?
Thats entirely up to the design team.

I mean they could focus on stealth and avoiding fights, which perhaps could be a turn off to some, but would just be changing the gameplay up to be more like an assassin character vs your normal warrior.

Though given zelda's history with stealth sections, i'm not sure they'd understand how to properly build a game around it.
The DS games did touch on a stealth mechanic though the temple of ocean king and tower of spirits wasn't entirely that enjoyable. Well Majora's Mask did it well. But Windwaker and onward was pretty unfun.

The DS games did touch on a stealth mechanic though the temple of ocean king and tower of spirits wasn't entirely that enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom