• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Zelda II: Is Its Reputation As Good As It Should Be?

Did you enjoy the different style of gameplay Zelda II had to offer?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
N

NickH8

As a lot of you know, Zelda II: the Adventure of Link has a COMPLETELY different gameplay style than the rest of the series. Because of this, it doesn't havea very good reputation. I mean, I'll admit it is a pretty tough game, and it has me very frustrated almost every time i play it. But that doesn't mean it has to have a bad reputation does it? I personally don't think so. What do you guys think? Did you like the different style of gameplay Zelda II had to offer? Or did you absolutely hate it? Give me your thoughts!

Link II.gif

Attachments

• LinkTriforce.gif
    LinkTriforce.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for both.... yes and no. I think its a really great game probably one of the better NES titles there were. But as a Zelda game I felt it was a let down.

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
i thought it was pretty good. one of the things that turned people off was the difficulty level of it, but lots of NES games were like that, not all of them were hated though

Exactly if it didn't have the name Zelda on it but instead carried the title Castlevania it would be revered to this day... I just think its not what people want in a Zelda game... Its a pretty good game... just doesn't fit in with what I think a Zelda game should be IMHO.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I wouldn't say it was a bad game, although it is far from my favorite. I came into the Zelda series later (Zelda II was before I was born) so I do find the game more difficult, because I'm used to more advanced controls. But I'll keep trying!
Anyway, I don't think that it should get such a bad reputation. The Zelda games are well known for creating different styles of gameplay and trying new ideas. I think that, even if it is difficult, we should be happy that, in their second game, Zelda already set a precedent for trying new things. And, for everyone who says the Zelda games are 'kiddie' we can prove them wrong :)

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
Despite popular opinion, Zelda II is definitley in my top ten (and maybe my top five for that matter) Zelda games. It was challenging, (which is something not found in alot current Zelda titles), had a great overworld, and some of my favorite boss battles. Its different yes, but that doesnt take away from its appeal. I'm about halfway through my second playthrough now and still loving it.

T

Toast

I've never heard anything bad about Adventure of Link. Everyone that's ever played it that I've talked to has enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not sure where you get your facts from, but you probably should double check them.

Zelda II is easily my favorite Zelda game. It's much, much harder than the rest of the Zelda games. Most other Zelda games challenge your wits, but Zelda II challenges things that make you have to try to be good at the game. There's no just being good from the beginning. I've found most other Zelda games are far too easy for this reason. Think for a few seconds, and you've figured out the entire game. It's not really that interesting to me.

I'm neutral on Zelda II. Not my fav, but I do not outright hate it as some people tend to do. It contributed a lot to the series and while it is different from...every other main game in the series, it is still good.

The main problem just was that it wasn't what I'd expect a Zelda to be like (some gameplay aspects, even other than the ridiculous difficulty, did not feel very Zelda-like). But still, it tried a lot of new things and helped the series to evolve to this direction. So I voted both yes and no.

To me Zelda II was a really good game,even if it was very different from the others and VERY hard for me,it was still a very good Zelda game

I have never been a proponent of Zelda II. While I do not think that it is a terrible game, it has certain qualities in its design that leave a lot to be desired. Many gamers tend to enjoy the platforming elements of Adventure of Link, but the RPG elements are too dominating.

First of all, the Zelda series collectively has never been about solely killing enemies to become stronger.The emphasis has always been upon the journey and the collective experience that Link draws his strength from. Farming for experience points in Zelda II was boring and zapped the fun out of the game.

The lives system added difficulty, but not pure difficulty that comes from the quests in the game being particularly hard to overcome. It wasn't just the fact that enemies were not that easy to defeat, but it was that in the midst of farming or even going through a dungeon, your whole bevy of accomplishments could be wiped away.

Certain annoying elements of game play such as not being able to accurately jump, meant that you had to waste your jump magic just to clear an ordinary lava pit, or if you are touched by an enemy Link automatically jumps backwards which would mean that you fall into that lava pit.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed playing Zelda II. Beyond its annoyances is solid game play and a unique excursion throughout Hyrule is well worth the time it takes to play it all the way through.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No. I found the side-scrolling aspect to be a downslide of what I had expected. Its overstressed challenge provided nothing for me save frustration and very little enjoyment. I did struggle through beating the game, though, rather than give it up, and to fight with Dark Link. That was my favorite part. :yes:

JasonXP

Its a Secret to Everybody
At the time even the developers weren't sure what the future of the Zelda series was. However, as a Mario fan, I like the side-scrolling aspect. It's still a Zelda game, for sure though. This has to be one of the best-designed side-scrollers ever, because it's quite expansive though linear in style, and the enemy battles are just awesome. It's sorta like Super Mario Bros. 2. People are divided on this game, however many don't realize what a good game it is in it's own right and what it introduced to the Mario series.

MasterSwordBoy1

Hero of Pie
I thought the different style was good. The game was really hard though, but I can't just hate a zelda game. It was a pretty good NES game though.

I kinda like it, but it's so hard that I often have to quit after hours of gaming with very little progress, I like it besides the insane difficulty, but the worst thing is my file has glitched right before the island palace, and I can't get anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom