• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Zelda & Hilda - Names From Somewhere Else?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
When I first discovered that Hilda was the princess of Lorule, and Zelda's counterpart, I immediately knew that I've heard of these names before (together that is). After some quick Googling, I flashed back to a TV show I enjoyed when I was younger, titled Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Within this show, Sabrina, lives with her two aunts, witches Zelda and Hilda. These two ladies often contrasted each other's personality - Hilda being less rational and more impulsive, while Zelda being more rational and often the voice of reasoning. While the characters in the TV show may not directly represent the personalities of those in the game, I find it very interesting that the name Hilda was chosen.

What do you guys think? Could there be a link between these things? Haha pun intended. Or is this merely a coincidence?

Salem

SICK
It's hard to tell at this point, ya know, this isn't the first time Nintendo named used the name of characters to reference tv shows, like the names of the Poe sisters from OoT'S Forest Temple.

Incidentally, I named Link "Salem" in my file. ;)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't think that Nintendo received those names from Sabrina. For one, we already know of the impetus for Zelda: Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald. I doubt they would suddenly take interest in a cartoon series and retcon what they had established oh so long ago.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I don't think that Nintendo received those names from Sabrina. For one, we already know of the impetus for Zelda: Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald. I doubt they would suddenly take interest in a cartoon series and retcon what they had established oh so long ago.
I don't think it's a retcon if they took inspiration from the show (if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly). It could be that although the original source of Zelda's name was Miss Fitzgerald, they happened to hear that it was also used in this TV show, and therefore decided to use the name Hilda. It doesn't change Zelda's name origins at all.

I actually have no idea if Nintendo intended to reference this or not. I think it's likely, considering that it's a pretty huge coincidence, given the rarity of the name Zelda, but I can't say for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom