• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda game with playable female?

Would you be happy to have a female option?

• Yay!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Not really :/

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
Personally, I'd rather play as Shiek, Tetra or Impa in a stand alone game. Not that I'm against a cannon female Link, but I would just prefer to see other characters get more attention, as some other people have said. Still, anything that gives players more choice is a cool idea.

Actually there are already a few games where you play as Zelda. Here's the wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i_games_from_The_Legend_of_Zelda_series

They are very different. Samus is one person, and would require a sex change to become male. Link (and pretty much everyone else in the Zelda series) is a different person in almost every one of the games, and, unless you can find a source for me, there is nothing that officially states that Link has to be male. Just because he always has been up to this point, doesn't mean he always will or always should be incarnated as a male. I also wouldn't have any problem with any of the other characters in the series being the opposite sex. I would hope Nintendo wouldn't do something like a game that is entirely gender-swapped, but as long as the story and puzzles are good and make sense, then I would still play and probably even enjoy it, because as I said before - what should matter is the story and gameplay, not what's in the characters' pants.

Though I've never played it, The CDi games are not on a Nintendo system, Zelda is playable character in a hack n Slash and a Fighter and she's relegated to a companion role in ST. I'm talking a fully playable main character in a full on adventure on a Nintendo system.

I want to see Zelda in a fully active role, I wanna see her not be a damsel in distress, I wanna see her wield the arrows of light as a bad-ass Archer/Princess/Ninja to roam around dungeons and shake up the baddies in her own country. Even prissy Princess Peach has gotten a chance to do this as early as the 80s! The bearer of Wisdom could stand to be a little less useless. Even if its just one good game.

Last edited:

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
@Sarah
Ganondorf the person reincarnated in FSA, as a gerudo male who betrayed the gerudo, I'm not saying there's anythin g in writing that says he has to be this way, merely that, despite being a different person, the similarities were insane, all the way down to even apparently having the same ambitions, all despite there likely being a couple hundred years between the games, from the perspective of the lore this all but shouts that there's somekind of restriction on reincarnations, and it's not just pure randomness like say the Avatar series.

From outside the perspective of the lore, the game needed ganondorf, so they slapped the title of a new reincarnation on him, hyrules slighlty different and the game is not a sequel, so they slapped the title of a new reincarnation on Link and Zelda, none of them are new characters, just another incarnation.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Though I've never played it, The CDi games are not on a Nintendo system, Zelda is playable character in a hack n Slash and a Fighter and she's relegated to a companion role in ST. I'm talking a fully playable main character in a full on adventure on a Nintendo system.

I want to see Zelda in a fully active role, I wanna see her not be a damsel in distress, I wanna see her wield the arrows of light as a bad-ass Archer/Princess/Ninja to roam around dungeons and shake up the baddies in her own country. Even prissy Princess Peach has gotten a chance to do this as early as the 80s! The bearer of Wisdom could stand to be a little less useless. Even if its just one good game.

This is true. A Nintendo created game starring Zelda would be fantastic, and something I would like to see. @ZeldafreakCJM While I would really like to see a female Link, I concede it's up to Nintendo to decide what is the true cannon. If they want to make Link a male always, I will still play the series. But, if I were to see a female Link, I would be very excited indeed.

No female Link. That's just a big no-no. I want to step into a riveting spin off of Zelda being a kick ass Sheikah! Or even just a kick ass playable Zelda. But why are some people so obnoxiously hell bent on changing an iconic character under a false sense of progression? Especially when there is Zelda, Impa and others? Batman and Batgirl are there own separate characters. Mario and Peach are there own separate characters. Why can't it be Link and Zelda or Link and Sheik ? Why does it hafta be Link and Linka? That's lazy, dumb and a slap to the face.

This is my take on it. I want Zelda to actually star in her own game, on her own adventure, for her own purposes. Let her have her own spotlight. Because ninjas make everything better, especially princesses. Peach has had her own spinoff game, why not Zelda?

There's also so many other females who could potentially take up an adventurer role. I could see Romani, Impa, Ilia, Nabooru, etc...

Trying to stuff Link into a female role is just...well...nonsense. He's a guy, let him be one.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'd like a twist on the damsel in distress thing. Say... it still happens as usual. Zelda is caught, and Link goes to save her. But you control Zelda, and Link fails and gets himself caught and Zelda has to get them out. There is nothing wrong with the captured and needing rescuing plot. It just gets overused to the point where it's boring and predictable. It needs some twists and turns to keep it interesting if it's still going going to be used. For example somewhere in the Dragon Age series, I won't say which game or quest so not to spoil things, your character is captured. You're then given the choice to either wait for your friends to save you or break yourself out.

I do like the idea of a bad guy kidnapping the girl, full of arrogance and overconfidence, which she then exploits to escape. Yeah it's a sexist thing. That's the point. It's a bad guy, they're not supposed to be nice or politically correct. If they were they wouldn't be the bad guy. Keep the bad guys still working on the older idea of gender roles and have the girl take advantage of that to save herself. I think that'd be a very interesting plot. In fact, I think that'd be a great way for a Zelda game to go where Link and Zelda are both playable characters you have with you through most of the game. Have it start out as a typical Zelda game. Zelda gets taken, Link rushes to save her, foolishly, recklessly and unprepared (like when he tried to save his sister the first time in Wind Waker) and realizing he was way in over his head and he gets caught instead and Zelda breaks them out and then they adventure together for the rest of the game. That'd be great. It'd be the perfect way to blow part the old damsel in distress plot point while also keep iconic Link in the picture.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
since link is a fake character in video games, sure why not.

my only request is that the plot of the game make the gender relevant.

For anyone who says it makes no sense for one iteration of the hero to be female, remember this:

Sometimes Kaepora Gaebora is human, sometimes he's an Owl. Just sayin'.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I'm pretty sure they confirmed in HH or around the time of SS' s release that Geapora wasn't actually Keapora Geabora.

And, I don't think he was ever confirmed to be Rauru.

Even then...I don't know if it's reincarnation so much as a physical representation of the remains of his soul which resides in the sacred realm, why he felt the need to change his name if this is the case or how an owl was named in the first place is all rather confusing.

Either way, I do not believe it to be indicative of reincarnation in Hyrule, partly due to the ambiguous nature, and the fact that, there's nothing, as far as I remember, that outright states it to be reicarnation, and even then, operating under the assumption that Link and Zelda do reincarnate than the myriad of examples of how they reincarnate, greatly outweigh the one example of whatever happened to Keapora Geabora.

@Moonstone (was your username Sarah or did I randomly qoute someone else?)
Fair enough, I personally don't think I'd be able to play Zelda anymore if Link was changed as I'd be greatly afraid of the future of the characted, as even if there may be some difference I truly view the idea as no different than changing Mario, and thus I find it not only insulting to change him but almost series breaking. This said, I've no issue with a female Hero, while uncanon, the BS games brought forward a new character/characters who was a hero and Link isn't the only heroic person in Hyrule, so I personally feel that the right course is to make a new character, someone who's a female Link in spirit, but actually Isn't Link or a female lookalike, rather an equal, then we can have her just be an option going forward; peraonally I'd kinda like to see them rework Aryll into this concept, just have the ww incarnation not be a hero, or hell have the game where she's introduced be a sequel to ww where we play as a slightly older Aryll, this way we have a female option, a new character to explore storywise, Link's family is expanded, and since Aryll is related to Link, it'd be easy to rationalize her as existing since technically she already has a tie to Demise's curse, and hell she already mostly has the same genetics as Link so she can look similar without being a female clone.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they confirmed in HH or around the time of SS' s release that Geapora wasn't actually Keapora Geabora.

And, I don't think he was ever confirmed to be Rauru.

Even then...I don't know if it's reincarnation so much as a physical representation of the remains of his soul which resides in the sacred realm, why he felt the need to change his name if this is the case or how an owl was named in the first place is all rather confusing.

Either way, I do not believe it to be indicative of reincarnation in Hyrule, partly due to the ambiguous nature, and the fact that, there's nothing, as far as I remember, that outright states it to be reicarnation, and even then, operating under the assumption that Link and Zelda so reincarnate than the myriad of examples of how they reincarnate, greatly outweigh the one example of whatever happened to Keapora Geabora.
you were dead serious on that 'no joke zone' business, huh?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
you were dead serious on that 'no joke zone' business, huh?
Lol, I'm sorry I can't tell peoples tone on the internet, it's a weakness! :(

@Thread

Also, while we're at it, ww does sorta imply that there might be some genderedness to the reincarnation, as instead of simply looking for an heir to the Hylian royal line, Ganon was searching for girls specifically, and I doubt he knew whar gender or sex "Tetra" was, likewise, he seems to recognize Link as potentially being a reincarnation, mostly by look, and going off the statue in hyrule castle, Link is identical to oot link in ww, I mean just saying is all.

Last edited:
An option to make Link a girl and Zelda a prince would be cool, but I don't think it should be marketed as a major feature, since Link has always been a blond, blue eyed white male. Changing his physical appearance would probably turn off a lot of people.

But I would like to see a female Link sometime, it would be interesting!

Truffles

Zelda is the Dark Souls of Zelda
I personally don't think I'd be able to play Zelda anymore if Link was changed
I hope you never have to stop playing! That would be terribly sad. But don't worry! I seriously doubt that you would ever have a female Link forced upon you. The male will always be there. As the default, and on all the covers and marketing material, too. Maybe, as with Mass Effect 3, there would be a reversible cover for girl Link. That would be okay, right? :finn: ...Haha – I just want to make everyone happy. * sob * :(

a sequel to ww where we play as a slightly older Aryll, this way we have a female option, a new character to explore storywise, Link's family is expanded, and since Aryll is related to Link, it'd be easy to rationalize her as existing since technically she already has a tie to Demise's curse, and hell she already mostly has the same genetics as Link so she can look similar without being a female clone.
That. Would. Be. Awesome!

@everyone
About re-incarnation in Wind Waker, I wasn't sure that there was any of it going on, there. I'm a bit confused about this, so do chime in! But it seemed like our boy kinda inherited the right to become the successor to the Hero of Time, through passing the trials. As though all the boys of Outset Island were groomed to be vessels for this heroic spirit, and it just happened that Link (or whatever name you gave him in your save file) came of age at the right time; and it just happened that his sister was carried away by the bird – catalysing his entry into the conflict. Then again, I suppose that's what we call fate.

But what might happen in future if the islanders include girls in the coming-of-age, dress-in-green traditions? * devilish smile *
(You don't have to answer that.) :)

In Tetra's case, isn't she just the last princess in the Zelda bloodline? As though her royal family – descending from Zelda at the time of Ocarina – had diminished in wealth and influence over the centuries?

I could be totally wrong, though. (So I guess it's the atmosphere rather than the stories that captivates me with Zelda games. ^_^)

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
@Truffles

I'd probably be pretty pissed even if the idea wasn't forced, link is a huge part of Zelda to me, and how he's handled in the future can easily make or break the entirety of the series to me, I don't want him changed and since I don't view him as a avatar I also don't want him customizable; the series is thirty years old next year, if the lack of a female option was truly important and not just a by-product of this PCocalypse we're currently living in, then perhaps just perhaps someone should have said something some time prior to the series, and due to association the character Link, was celebrating it's third decade on this planet. For ww, that'd never happen in the WWverse as Link already came and went, and thus ninty has no use to a plot point that's only associated with one game and only existed to give link his tunic, if the idea wasn't just associated with boys then it'd just be like the Kokiri; Link's tunic is important but it's not the only iconic or consistent part of the character...not that it'd matter much as Link seemd to be the only boy participating in the event.

As for ganon, he had no way of knowing that the hylian family even would have an offspring, he's deliberately searching for a hylian girl, because he knew that not only would a hylian girl only have the chance of being Zelda, but only Zelda would have the chance of having the Triforce of Wisdom, vice versa for Link, the last hero was a hylian boy in green so it's only fitting that a hylian boy showing up with the ms is likely the next hero; Ganon recognized these characters because of what happened in the past.

Again, nothing in writing, but plenty to suggest something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom