• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Zelda First-Person Feelings

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Hello Zelda Dungeoners. So how would you feel if Zelda was only a first-person shooter game?

I know that I probably wouldn't like the series that much. First-person shooting games are kind of hard for me. I just can't see everything around me all at once.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
For one this doesn't really fit into Zelda's style of game, the Zelda series is focused largely on the genre of Action/Adventure, with the occasional RPG elements being implemented. This is too big of a switch in my opinion and not only would it completely change the way we play but the whole dynamic of game play, the fan base is very sensitive too change and this would probably cause a huge uproar.

Another thing that will clash is the actual culture of the Zelda series, the games are based off medieval times with a twist, there is a lot of magic and whatnot. Advanced technology is a rare occurrence in Zelda games, having the switch to guns would not only clash with this but it would just be awful. Out of all the possibilities in where Zelda can go this is the worst route (no offence).

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Another thing that will clash is the actual culture of the Zelda series, the games are based off medieval times with a twist, there is a lot of magic and whatnot. Advanced technology is a rare occurrence in Zelda games, having the switch to guns would not only clash with this but it would just be awful. Out of all the possibilities in where Zelda can go this is the worst route (no offence).

Well, what I mean is that guns won't be used, but you would see the end of the sword. Kind of like walking around while dowsing is Skyward Sword. You wold only see the item being used.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well, what I mean is that guns won't be used, but you would see the end of the sword. Kind of like walking around while dowsing is Skyward Sword. You wold only see the item being used.

Oh, so you just mean a general first person perspective....

I too have thought about this possibility to innovate something fresh into the series. It would certainly make combat more immersive and in a way more personal. However with games that center around a FP perspective I tend to lose focus on the actual character I am playing and even though this would mean that the player would feel as if they are in the game to an extent, I do have my doubts. From quite a few recent discussions about Link being a character I think it's important that Zelda tries to put more emphasis on us playing the role of Link and not Link being are puppet in a sense. I am not staying that automatically an FP perspective directly diminishes a character but I just think it kind of relates to more us playing the role of the hero, in contrast to us playing as the hero '' Link''.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
We've seen Zelda use the first-person perspective plenty of times when using the Bow or Hookshot and, honestly, if Link was given a crossbow instead of a Bow then I could see a first-person Zelda being plausible (on paper at least). However, I think the biggest reason for why a first-person Zelda wouldn't be very fun in practise is because of this:
First-person shooting games are kind of hard for me. I just can't see everything around me all at once.
With Zelda games being set in large worlds with things to find hidden all around, the restricted view of a first-person camera could hinder the exploration element of the game, or at least make it less enjoyable.

Not many first-person games have much depth of searching for secrets. Even The Elder Scrolls RPGs are fairly light on finding secrets, relying more on the 'journey-to-a-far-away-place' aspect of exploration more than intimately searching an area. Developers like Valve have said that one of the challenges they have as designers of first-person games is getting players to look all around them (they talk of the problems they had getting players to look up when developing Portal for instance). I could see a Zelda game which used a first-person perspective throughout either being somewhat frustrating for many players due to a reduced field of vision, or becoming a much simpler game to accomdate for it. Either way does not seem great.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
justac00lguy, I'm a little confused by your post. You're say that playing in first-person takes away the main character of the story. That we wouldn't be Link, but just some random character, right?

We've seen Zelda use the first-person perspective plenty of times when using the Bow or Hookshot and, honestly, if Link was given a crossbow instead of a Bow then I could see a first-person Zelda being plausible (on paper at least).

Well, using these items really doesn't count as playing in first-person because you use them for a few seconds and you're done using them.

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Link's crossbox training was fun, but I don't think an FPS would do. All the exploration, complex fighting, and items that make Zelda fun would be replaced by ridiculous and mindless Call of Duty crap. Call of Duty is awesome, but not in a Zelda format.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Dear God, no. No. I will pay any amount of money to stop this from happening. Look, I don't care if I'm being over opinionated, FPS are the scum of gaming and I do not want to see it be in any way associated with Zelda. The farther away it is, the happier I'll be.

I can handle some Banjo Tooie-esque FPS sections if they remain a small part of the game, but I wouldn't even buy a full on FPS Zelda.

R

RockrGrrl

They did originally consider a first person viewpoint, but eventually settled on the further back option and invented the game-changing (pun intended) z-target method.

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
Switching between FP and TP views probably isn't a bad thing. I'd enjoy it if they made it in a future game.

Also, you should definitely be able to move while in FP view, even if it's not an essential gameplay mode; they did that well in SS, and I always get frustrated when I have to look around in TP. (BTW, the way you can move around really helps on the Sandship; I can't imagine trying to hit that Timeshift Stone with the bow without being able to move while aiming!)

As for a full FP Zelda game, no. I want to see Link, and I want to see what's happening around me; the other replies sum my thoughts up nicely.

BTW, there's a really cool glitch that allows you to play in first person in OOT. To start off, you should activate the Swordless Link glitch. The glitch is active when you don't have a sword equipped on the gear screen. With a completed game file, the easiest way is to use the Restricted Items glitch (look up "Farore's Wind anywhere" on youtube) to cast Farore's Wind somewhere (or cast it in a dungeon if you want, the glitch will work. Even though I don't see the point.) Then go beat up Ganondorf, all the way until he knocks the Master Sword out of your hand. Use RI again to warp away to the point you set earlier; you are now Swordless!
To play in FPS, make sure you have some Deku Nuts (!) and mount Epona. You will be able to use all your items *gasp*! Use one that activates a mini-cutscene. Casting a spell, or releasing something from a bottle works, but I prefer just using the ocarina. Link will fall on the ground, but the game will still be in the "mounted" state (therefore, you'll still see the carrot meter; as a matter of fact, you'll be invincible, but your magic can still drain :(). If you run around, Epona will also move! Check again for Deku Nuts, then take out a FP item (i.e. bow or hookshot). This will result in a kind of softlock, and you won't be able to move or use any item (except for firing arrows/the hookshot). A continuous beep should also play, it's normal.
To break out of the softlock, use a Deku Nut. This will allow you to move around and use items, but the camera will stay "glued" to somewhere inside Link's head. Also, you can't remote control Epona anymore. Since you can't use a sword, take out your hammer to attack. There you are - you've just turned OoT into a FPH (First Person Hammerer)!

Tip: There are a lot of interesting effects with this glitch. If you save and quit, the Master Sword will be automatically put back into your inventory and equipped; so if you want to play around with this glitch and be able to save safely, just go beat up Ganon and warp after he knocks MS out of your hand once again. The cutscene toggles a flag, so when you enter it without MS it will actually add it back to your inventory, without equipping it. Now you can save and stay Swordless.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
As others have mentioned, First Person Shooter elements have been implemented a number of times in the series. Skyward Sword brought out the most of these by placing Link's sights in a first person perspective, and then providing dowsing and the bow/arrow combination from that viewpoint. Link was even able to move around freely while in dowsing or using the Bow, contrary to merely standing around and aiming in place. These things I believe are the closest Zelda should be to an FPS.

Secondly, what about sword gameplay? If we're saying that the full focus should be on a gun-like weapon (I'm not entirely sure what the general idea here is), then I suppose Link would have to discard his sword. In its place he would most likely carry a Bow or Crossbow, like he did in Link's Crossbow Training, and perhaps pick up other weapons along the way. Strictly speaking, below is a weapon format which fits FPS components, albeit Zelda-ish...

• Standard Gun = Hero's Bow/Crossbow
  • Grenade Launcher/Bazooka = Bomb Arrows
  • Grenades = Bombs
  • Flash Grenades = Deku Nuts
  • Gun Scope = Hawkeye
  • Infrared Scanner = Dowsing [Modified]
  • Grapple Gun = Hookshot/Clawshot

Overall the idea is intriguing, but I doubt it would be utterly fitting for Zelda. So perhaps Nintendo could take this concept and put it into a new series altogether; not necessarily an offshoot of Zelda, but different in its own presentation.

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
My problem with FP games is the lack of peripheral vision. I tend to feel like I have a 270 degree blindspot which gets annoying.
If they can find someway around that to make the player feel like he has his peripheral vision, I wouldn't mind a FP Zelda.

I think having a first-person perspective in a Zelda game wouldn't be that bad. It doesn't have to be in a shooter format.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
My problem with FP games is the lack of peripheral vision. I tend to feel like I have a 270 degree blindspot which gets annoying.
If they can find someway around that to make the player feel like he has his peripheral vision, I wouldn't mind a FP Zelda.

Well, what if you press the C Button, for example, to see around you. You press the C Button, and then you can use the Control Stick to look around. You press the C Button again to return to first-person.

And the thing is, a first-person Zelda game wouldn't have to be too big on the story, like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, but maybe like Link's Crossbow Training. Just short and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom