• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Easter Eggs

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Ok i wanted to make a topic for zelda fans who noticed some easter eggs in zelda games that caught our attention. of course if you just pay good attention you will find something interesting.

Post here the easter eggs that caught tour attention of the zelda games you played.
Cool thing about this is that some easter eggs actually refrer to other things.

Note: now we all know these easter eggs can be find in FAQ's, this is a topic to discuss about the easter eggs and not just seach and list it. so if you post an easter easter egg that caught your attention, please post you toughts or opinion about it.

these are the things that caught my attention:
OOT:
- The mario paintings in hyrule castle
( i was quite suprised, at that moment i was thinking like "what the heck is mario doing here")
- Bowser button on malon
( more mario stuff, how many mario stuff is in this game? )

MM:
- The fungus thing thats shaped as a n64 controller in the water of inside clock tower.
( ok when i first saw this i was little, my toughts were "am i seeing things or does it really look like n64 controller?)
- Mario and elvis mask.
( ok almost everybody knows this, but still i got my attention)
- Dolphin sketch in astral observatory
( at the start i didn 't knew this was an easter egg, like a couple of years later i found out that the codename for the GC was "the dolphin", when i knew that i was like "now thats an easter egg that had a meaning" )

WW:
- Cobra on tingle 's back.
( dunno why its a cobra, first tought was "cobra? why? see tingle is evil lol" )
- Painting of link and triforce in tetra 's room
( i didn 't knew that tetra was zelda when i first played it, when i saw this my toughts were "is tertra reseaching something about this" )
- Link 's attention.
( don 't know if this is an easter egg but link actually looks at something that caught is attention, on the N64 titles only the fairy would turn in to green. so it was pretty cool )

TP:
- Link can open doors YAY!.
( also don 't know if this is actually an easter egg but, FINNALY link used his hands for the first time to open doors.)
- Fortune teller
( wait wasn 't this also in Alttp )
- Three girls in front of circus game in hyrule castle town
( they really look like Din, Nayru & Farore from TMC )

PH: (havn 't found out much about it.)
- Those gossip statues
( really everytime if i look at them they look like wario )

Of course there are lot more easter eggs that i noticed. But these are the ones that really caught my attention.

Last edited:
Well another mario easter egg from Oot is just talon and ingo, funny how they look like mario and luigi,yes a lot of refrences to mario, not that many anymore though

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peregrine

You mean Talon. Talon is Malon's father.

There was also a picture of Mario in some of the houses in the village in Link to the Past.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
You mean Talon. Talon is Malon's father.

There was also a picture of Mario in some of the houses in the village in Link to the Past.

really never noticed that in Alttp.

btw Darklink i never noticed they look like mario and luigi, come to think of it you are right.
don 't know if nintendo really intend to do that.

i noticed that the music can also be easter eggs sometimes.
for example, water temple song, the background music strongly resembles the music of super mario 3 when you get the rod after a boss fight. you know lthat mario falls from the sky and the curse is lifted from the king, or something like that.

P

Peregrine

Goombas, chain chomps, and even an evil Kerby clone.

Oh! and that couple having a romance by correspondence, and one of them passed off a picture of Princess Peach as their own.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
How about the resemblence Tarin and Talon have to Mario, and the many references to Mario games in Link's Awakening such as Goombas, Chain Chomps, the Peach photograph and the Yoshi Doll. The Ghosts in some Zelda games do the same as first seen in Super Mario Brothers 3, where they will only come towards you if you have your back turned.

Malon also has a necklace/brooch type of jewelry that resembles Bowser, I believe. Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

M

MiniMeMilo

You guys have listed so many, I can't think of any that haven't been said yet. Except for the flute in LttP. When you play it, the tune is from Super Mario Bros. 3. I actually spent about a week trying to figure out what it was from. It sounded so familiar, but I had completely forgotten the game. Me and my brother were playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for the last time (NES cable broke soon after...) and we heard it in the water world. Atleast, I think it was the water world...

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
You guys have listed so many, I can't think of any that haven't been said yet. Except for the flute in LttP. When you play it, the tune is from Super Mario Bros. 3. I actually spent about a week trying to figure out what it was from. It sounded so familiar, but I had completely forgotten the game. Me and my brother were playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for the last time (NES cable broke soon after...) and we heard it in the water world. Atleast, I think it was the water world...

listed many? man this only the beginning, there is so much easter eggs in zelda games.
there are even easter eggs that havn 't been posted in FAQ 's yet.

and yes that melody of water temple is samiliar of super mario 3.
i said that in my last post, but hey if you really notcied that by yourself, then i give you credit that i'm not the only one who noticed that.

but for now people talk only about mario easter eggs that are in zelda games, of course there are many of them but besides that, there are more intersting stuff.

for instance: remember link 's treehouse in oot. outside at the back of the treehouse at the back there a little picture scribbled there with a little boy and a monster. if i'm not mistaken thats ganon and link. or you know the time in MM when you get the circus leader mask, that tune is "Ballad of the wind fish" if i'm not mistaken.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
Oh, I didn't know that you could mention Easter Eggs that refer to other ZELDA games. How about the well-known Ocarina of Time opening theme, it sounds like the flute from LoZ and SMB 3.

And the Chris Houlihan room - I think most people know about that. Chris Houlihan won a contest in a Nintendo Power Magazine and was given his own room in Link to the Past.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped....png/180px-Chris_Houlihan_Room_screenshot.png

I'm sure someone else has noticed this as well. Mamu in Link's Awakening has a strange resemblence to King Wart from SMB 2.

Does this thread also include cameo appearences of Link? That is, references to Zelda from other games or movies? If so, then:

in Final Fantasy (one?), There is a grave with Link's name on it. And in Super Mario RPG, if you go in the inn, Link is sleeping there.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
yeah easter eggs withing zelda games could refrer to so much things.
other zelda games and other nintendo games or anything nintendo releated , sometimes even other cultures (don 't know sure if you call that an easter egg but hey you notice it)

the dolphin easter egg and the n64 controller in MM was quite suprising.
especially the dolphin because when MM was released the GC was in devolement. not thats an easter egg with a deep hidden meaning. i also said in my first post, after a few years i realized the meaning.

btw the Chris Houlihan easter egg you mention, i didn 't knew that but thats funny.
its really an unusual easter egg.

Onilink89 said:
i noticed that the music can also be easter eggs sometimes.
for example, water temple song, the background music strongly resembles the music of super mario 3 when you get the rod after a boss fight. you know lthat mario falls from the sky and the curse is lifted from the king, or something like that.
That use of the word 'strongly' is a tad liberal there, don't you think? The section of the Water Temple music with slow arpeggios shares a measly 3 notes from the SMB3 music you're referring to, otherwise it's completely different. I've heard both and I never thought OoT was attempting any sort of Mario easter egg in that regard, but, being a musician, what do I know.

No idea what you're talking about. Maybe I need to listen to the Mario 3 soundtrack again, but I don't remember hearing the LttP flute melody anywhere other than in LttP. Check out vgmusic.com and link the track that sounds like the LttP if you're so inclined.

P.S. Are you sure by 'LttP' you don't mean "LoZ" and "the title screen of OoT" and that you heard this melody in the water world because you happened to use the flute while you were there? That melody is originally from LoZ and was reused in Mario 3 and OoT. The flute melody in LttP is (as far as I've been aware) unique, and kind of long for a flute melody. d g a D a b----- d g a D a b----- it keeps going and I won't continue writing it out cause I doubt anyone knows what I'm talking about anyway.

Last edited:

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
No idea what you're talking about. Maybe I need to listen to the Mario 3 soundtrack again, but I don't remember hearing the LttP flute melody anywhere other than in LttP. Check out vgmusic.com and link the track that sounds like the LttP if you're so inclined.

I think Mini meant the flute melody from the original LoZ.

Heres one ftw...

Shrek makes a cameo in the beta version of Twilight Princess at Hyrule Castle Town.

27.jpg

Link and Epona both make an appearance in Shrek 2 via on a painting in the King and Queens bedroom...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom