• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon / Zelda Informer supporting BLM campaign

the8thark

ZD Legend
Here's the post about it

101721986_10157435896886447_6439932044465143808_n.jpg

What's your opinion on this?

This is my opinion summarised in one single tweet.

wz8b0ozwyx151.jpg

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
That tweet you posted is why we support BLM. Because to the current system, they don't matter. That's the whole point. That's actually the point the tweet is making. Racists are the problem. Racists are why black lives count for less in America. You don't have to be black to fight that. That's the point of the tweet. Supporting BLM is the morally right thing to do.

Ragnarokio

ZD Legend
If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
do you think that zelda dungeon is standing up against white people or racists in this instance?

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
ZD Champion
Forum Volunteer
I don't understand the point you're trying to make. The tweet you posted summarizes exactly what the BLM movement is all about, and it's what ZD and so many other organizations are fighting for. I'm not sure if you misinterpret what the movement is all about or if you agree with it, because the tweet you say you agree with is correct. So are you happy or disappointed that ZD is supporting the movement? I don't quite understand.

the8thark

ZD Legend
My point is we should be dealing with the issue in as race neutral way. Treating everyone equally.
BLM is so focused on their own being treated terribly that they lose sight of the bigger picture.

Nelson Mandela as an example had a much better way of dealing with the systemic racism in his country. He didn't push black rights above all else. He actually pushed for both black and white people to have equal and fair rights. This did anger many people. However he stuck to his belief that black rights or white rights or any race rights don't matter. To him only people rights mattered. He wanted everyone to be treated equally, even those who had oppressed his race in SA for decades.

He didn't push race to get his message across. He pushed equality for everyone. This is the exact same thing MLK did back in the day.
The modern protesters, though I applaud their efforts and I hope they keep going, need to realise that rights for all needs to be the main focus.

I'm not against the BLM movement's core principles, I just feel how they are getting their message across doesn't show the fact they want everyone to have equal rights and everyone to be free from racism.

A certain group of people tend to get offended when they see "Asian lives matter" or "white lives matter" or "indigenous lives matter".
Why? All lives matter equally. The only way racism will be stopped is if the solution involves everyone.

PS. I don't see BLM as black vs white, but some others do. That's why the tweet.
Also everyone vs racists is how I feel. Doesn't matter which race the racist or the victim come from, it's all wrong and all needs to stop.
I'll support everyone who is being hurt by racism. Because we're all equal human beings, not because what colour your skin is.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
ZD Legend
"Black Lives Matters" doesn't mean other lives don't matter or that other acts of racism or brutality are any less valid targets of criticism. There's a disproportionate amount of violence by law enforcement directed towards innocent black men and far too little accountability towards the people who commit those acts of violence. That's largely what this is about.

Trying to silence these valid complaints by trying to widen the scope of the conversation to no longer be about the racism that black people face in this country is absurd. It's like saying you can't have a Zelda forum to talk about Zelda because all video games are important to talk about. If every time anyone talked about Zelda someone complained and talked about how you should be talking about other video games too, I feel like that would be kind of insulting and disruptive.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
It should be we should all be colourblind... cuz theres all colours white, black, pink so...not black lives matter... every life matters...just my personal veiw...

Ragnarokio

ZD Legend
If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
My point is we should be dealing with the issue in as race neutral way. Treating everyone equally.
BLM is so focused on their own being treated terribly that they lose sight of the bigger picture.

Nelson Mandela as an example had a much better way of dealing with the systemic racism in his country. He didn't push black rights above all else. He actually pushed for both black and white people to have equal and fair rights. This did anger many people. However he stuck to his belief that black rights or white rights or any race rights don't matter. To him only people rights mattered. He wanted everyone to be treated equally, even those who had oppressed his race in SA for decades.

He didn't push race to get his message across. He pushed equality for everyone. This is the exact same thing MLK did back in the day.
The modern protesters, though I applaud their efforts and I hope they keep going, need to realise that rights for all needs to be the main focus.

I'm not against the BLM movement's core principles, I just feel how they are getting their message across doesn't show the fact they want everyone to have equal rights and everyone to be free from racism.

A certain group of people tend to get offended when they see "Asian lives matter" or "white lives matter" or "indigenous lives matter".
Why? All lives matter equally. The only way racism will be stopped is if the solution involves everyone.

PS. I don't see BLM as black vs white, but some others do. That's why the tweet.
Also everyone vs racists is how I feel. Doesn't matter which race the racist or the victim come from, it's all wrong and all needs to stop.
I'll support everyone who is being hurt by racism. Because we're all equal human beings, not because what colour your skin is.
and you think that ZD is pushing for black people to have more rights than white people or something? What does any of this have to do with the ZD post?

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Saying "all lives matter" is the same as saying "why would you support cancer research? all diseases are important to research, stop spending money on cancer research and start spending money on all disease research".

We call that "utterly and entirely missing the point". You can't fight racism while pretending racism doesn't exist. You can't say you support the core values of BLM but then go around and say they shouldn't focus on race. It doesn't work that way. Race isn't invisible, partly because the system forces black americans to be aware of their race every day but also because it's part of a person's identity. Hiding differences instead of acknowledging and uplifting them is not the way you fight racism.

the8thark

ZD Legend
This lady spoke her piece very well.

The statistics actually show white on white and black on black violence far outnumbers any other race on race voilence.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 1.29.10 am.jpg

You can fight racism in race neutral way. This does not mean you are ignoring the race someone is. This does not mean you are stopping them from being proud of who they are. It's all about equality.
"Equality of opportunity is better than equality of outcome"

Give everyone the same freedoms, rights and opportunities and they will take them to be the best person they can be. Still proud of their race and background but all given the same equal opportunity.

Az, I agree the US system is shocking in that way. Something as an outsider I hate and feel sorry for the people oppressed by it. They deserve better opportunities to make a better life for themselves.

Your cancer analogy hmmm. As a government it is better to spend money on all disease research as all diseases are inportant as you said. How much on each? That depends on the need of each. Doesn't mean the one getting funding is more important, it just has a higher priority to be cured. We shouldn't be ignoring all other diseases just because cancer exists.

Last edited:

Ragnarokio

ZD Legend
This lady spoke her piece very well.

I think what this lady isn't understanding is that black lives matter is largely a movement protesting systemic racism in the justice system regarding the treatments of blacks. The fact that there are impoverished black people in parts of the country or that black people are murdered as a result of gang violence or for other reasons is not the focus of the movement. BLM doesn't typically protest every death of a black person anywhere which seems to be what this girl is implying it should do.

BLM has protested unethical police killings regardless of the race of the cop or the race of the victim. When Justine Damond was unjustly killed by a black cop it was the BLM movement that protested in the streets and called for justice for justine.

other aspects of the civil justice movement have addressed issues with black on black crime with increased calls for community services,stopping the school to prison pipeline, reversing gentrification of black people into high crime areas, providing a larger budget to understaffed police in high crime areas, providing poverty relief for communities that might rely on crime to stay afloat, providing mental health services and community involvement for vulnerable people, and all sorts of other things. Its not like these issues aren't addressed, its just not the main focus of the BLM movement.

Its also probably the case that everybody is oppressed to some extent. We've been looking at a lot of videos of peaceful protesters being gunned down, maced,bashed with riot shields or tossed to the ground, or driven over with cars lately. Its hard to say that the people aren't oppressed after seeing things like that.

If you took something else from this video I'm curious to know what it is.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Could you explain what you mean by "a certain group of people"?

It should be we should all be colourblind... cuz theres all colours white, black, pink so...not black lives matter... every life matters...just my personal veiw...
The idea of colorblindness is really weird. Stating that you're colorblind implies that you don't see people who do find self worth in their race and therefore their heritage. By saying "I'm colorblind" you're saying you don't care about the struggles that PoC deal with on a daily basis, compared to white people. You are choosing not to recognize their identity and their personal hardships that come from it.

As far as ZD standing with BLM, I fully support them. BLM aims at educating the public about the oppression that PoC still face today. Systemic racism still exists in the U.S. and it's naive to think otherwise. There are plenty of resources and a wealth of information about why this is the case.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
ZD Champion
By saying "I'm colorblind" you're saying you don't care about the struggles that PoC deal with on a daily basis, compared to white people. You are choosing not to recognize their identity and their personal hardships that come from it.
That's not what colorblindness means, it's saying race should not be a relevant feature of our society. People shouldn't be killed or put in special positions because of race. It is good to celebrate different cultures and their struggles but race ultimately shouldn't be any more important as hair color, orientation or sex.

the8thark

ZD Legend
Serious question to you all.

You all believe in the BLM movement. Fair enough. How can black lives matter when the black people kill each other so much?
Source = satistics I shared above.
Stastically a black person is more likely to be killed by another black person than by any other race of person.

Will there be more riots when black people kill each other? You know black lives matter as you all say.

PS. I'm not downplaying any of this, it's all a tragedy. I'm just asking why this issue is not prioritised more by the BLM movement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom