• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon Skyward Sword Enemy Guide Incorrect

B

Bobflop

Zelda Dungeon have typed up whatever they have wanted for the enemy guide. For example, the spider enemy which they called a Skulltula, is not offical.:huh: With common sence all Skulltula's in every Zelda game have a 'SKULL' on its back. This spider does not have a skull.o_O Randomly naming monsters is stupid, they must change! :( THUMBS UP FOR THIS! :xd:

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
Zelda Dungeon have typed up whatever they have wanted for the enemy guide. For example, the spider enemy which they called a Skulltula, is not offical.:huh: With common sence all Skulltula's in every Zelda game have a 'SKULL' on its back. This spider does not have a skull.o_O Randomly naming monsters is stupid, they must change! :( THUMBS UP FOR THIS! :xd:

Does It really matter? You have a good point but still. It might be hard to come up with names for new monsters o they keep the old names. So you should think of it like that is all.

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
you're over reacting... we will get the official names in time and when they come they will change the names, simple.

Hey, at one point in time Skyward Sword was listed as Zelda Wii on here. The staff here do what they can with the information they have to work with. In some cases, the information is insufficient and they have to use unofficial names until more information is released. The reason is it called a Skulltulla at this moment in time is that there have been enemies in the past that have been the same with the name Skulltulla.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Yes, I was present for the naming of some of the enemies. In fact, most game guides don't have the official names of enemies either. This is because Nintendo often doesn't release the official names and it's 3rd party guide makers who end up naming enemies.

You do have a good point about the spider creature not having a skull, but you have no point on arguing that we shouldn't be naming the enemies. They help staff and users of this site to converse about them as well as relate them to older precedents for Zelda enemies.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's funny you should mention "older", TheGreen, given that SS is before OoT. Yeah...I'm not funny.

Like everyone said, you have a point in that names may or may not be official, but it won't kill you to have a placeholder name. The game isn't out yet, people speculate about it. The names can be essence of that speculation, we don't know...

?

:-)

And who knows? It could be a skulltula, just a different design. We've seen nintendo do things like this (not just in LoZ). Also, since SS is said to be a prequel to OoT, it could be just an earlier form of the skulltulas. Or maybe not. It's safe to say that we'll all find out when Skyward Sword is realeased.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I was also involved in the naming process, and we tried to follow Occam's razor when possible, going for existing names before making up new ones. They're more likely to create a new design for the skulltula than to create a new type of enemy so similar. You say "they must change" ... change to what? There are no official names yet. "Unnamed enemy A" and "Unnamed enemy B?" They may not have shown us the official names yet, but they have shown us the enemies and fans are going to want to talk about them and they're going to need something to call them. If the guides don't adopt the fan-created names, then we can change them to whatever they come up with when the time comes.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Bopflop, when we name these things, we try to give the most accurate name possible. For this particular enemy... I'm actually not even convinced there isn't a skull on its back. We hardly get a look at it and barely can see any of the top of its body. All I do see is some color differentiation which perhaps could be a skull. In Zelda Nomenclature the term '-tula' seems to refer to spider like creatures. (Skulltula, Walltula, etc...). Some prefer to use the term skullwalltula for walltulas. If you take a look at Twilight Princess, we had this enemy...

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/f/f9/Skullwalltula_TP.png

That guy doesn't have a skull on its back at all. In fact, it is just a spider crawling on the wall. To me, 'Walltula' would be the best definition, although Zelda Wiki stuck it in the 'Skullwalltula' section.

I think for Skyward Sword, Skulltula (or perhaps the more plain... 'Spider') both serve as good descriptions for what we know right now.

One thing I'm shocked is that... if somebody was to talk about the inaccuracy or 'fan-names' of some of these creatures, there are plenty of other enemies in Skyward Sword that we just made up the names. Electric Rolobite, Fire Snail, Mechanical Totem Pole, Mechat, and Watchdoor. Either way, as Locke said, most of these enemies will never have 'official' names. The folks at Prima Games might assign them their own 'made up' names, at which because that gets the seal of approval from Nintendo, those become the unofficial names of most of these... at which point in time we'll likely change the names from our enemy guide.

you are taking it too seriously, yyou already said it, its not official yet, and why to go around calling it "skyward sword spider"?

Ganondork

goo
One thing I'm shocked is that... if somebody was to talk about the inaccuracy or 'fan-names' of some of these creatures, there are plenty of other enemies in Skyward Sword that we just made up the names. Electric Rolobite, Fire Snail, Mechanical Totem Pole, Mechat, and Watchdoor. Either way, as Locke said, most of these enemies will never have 'official' names. The folks at Prima Games might assign them their own 'made up' names, at which because that gets the seal of approval from Nintendo, those become the unofficial names of most of these... at which point in time we'll likely change the names from our enemy guide.

Even sometimes it's still not the official name. In the TP guide, the annoying shadow dudes that attack you a lot and give you warp areas were given the name "Shadow Messengers" in TP, but in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the trophy said "Shadow Beast"

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
i noticed, the walltula in Skyward Sword has a skull on it's back, so it can be called a skullwalltula.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
i noticed, the walltula in Skyward Sword has a skull on it's back, so it can be called a skullwalltula.

It could be. They have been referred to as both walltula and skullwalltula in various games. In Twilight Princess they on the name of a Walltula, perhaps because they didn't have the obvious skull image on their back. Int he two N64 Zelda titles, they did have a skull and were referred to as Skullwalltula. Perhaps that would be a more precise name. I'll change it during the next edit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom