• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon Gave Me a Virus!

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Hi guys, some of you may know me, some may not.

As the topic says, I was simply browsing the main page and looking at the new topic of the "Skyward Sword manga". When I clicked it, it took a few seconds to boot up then I got a virus. After that I had to reset my PC to factory settings and restart and re-download everything.

I love the Zelda Dungeon community and am myself a community member that has been here for a while. While now i've become wary of browsing the main page, I only look at the forums now, in fear of getting infected again.

I do not blame the Zelda Dungeon for this but I just thought i'd mention this.

Happy new year everyone!

Happy new year!

Wow, I guess I haven't had a noticeable virus since I LOVE YOU (or maybe ever) and I'm certainly not expecting to get one from ZD. I guess my protective triforce of Windows Firewall, Avira Antivirus and not visiting any malware sites is doing the job quite well! (And don't even try, hackerz.)

Zelda Dungeon should never give you a virus, as we have no malicious content on our website.

It's more likely that it was something from another website that may not have made an appearance until you loaded that page.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Zelda Dungeon should never give you a virus, as we have no malicious content on our website.

It's more likely that it was something from another website that may not have made an appearance until you loaded that page.

That sounds more likely, but I always keep my sites I check good. Ah well, atleast I managed to get my MC pictures back :D

Zarah

Pikachu my Snorlax
There seems to be a few other Zelda sites that have been doing the same thing to its members. Clearly it's not the sites fault, but is it coincidental? Maybe, maybe not :/

This has never happened to me on this site. However, I recall a similar occurrence at my time over at the KHInsider forums when members kept catching viruses from said site. Well, it turned out that the site itself was not the cause of the viruses, which turned out to be of the adware variety, but the images in members' signatures. Certain signatures were linked to a site - if memory serves - called imagebarn (< or something to that effect)... Members were then prompted to avoid posting images from that site.

I don't think this is your (the OP's) case at all, though. It might just be coincidence that the virus booted during whatever you were doing on ZD; likely from another website. Also, given what you were doing, I doubt a virus could be booted up directly from this site to begin with, as I am sure the site staff wouldn't intentionally nor inadvertently post a link and/or image which leads to malicious content, especially on ZD's homepage.

A few times when I load up ZD (especially the homepage) I get a virus warning pop up on my pc, I'll screenie it next time it happens, I've run full virus scans with my anti virus software and nothing flags up as being malicious, it does happen regularly though but I've learnt to ignore it as it's had no adverse effects on my pc.

A few times when I load up ZD (especially the homepage) I get a virus warning pop up on my pc, I'll screenie it next time it happens, I've run full virus scans with my anti virus software and nothing flags up as being malicious, it does happen regularly though but I've learnt to ignore it as it's had no adverse effects on my pc.

Hmm... Interesting... Might this have to do with ads? When you have the chance, could you post a screen cap? I want to see this with my own eyes. To be honest, I hardly ever visit the ZD home page [noparse]:|[/noparse]; Instead, I go directly to the forums.

RCE.gen also known as VBS.SASAN by Symantec, I think it's a Reg edit Virus and modifies and dumps reegistry files.
Apparently it can also be linked with something known as password_viewer.exe?
View attachment 21576View attachment 21576

For more info on RCE.gen and possibly how to remove it please see: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=106390

Seriously? RCE.gen and password_viewer.exe... I find it quite odd that these were detected while browsing ZD, seeing as others don't to appear to be affected by them; or at least they aren't reporting it. Nonetheless, the password_viewer.exe virus sounds suspect. It is usually found "packaged" together with other malware. It is dumped into the victim's registry, where it causes all kinds of problems. *sigh* Hackers...

To the OP: Whatever the case, it is better safe than sorry to take the necessary precautions. ...if you haven't done so already, of course.

Seriously? RCE.gen and password_viewer.exe... I find it quite odd that these were detected while browsing ZD, seeing as others don't to appear to be affected by them; or at least they aren't reporting it. Nonetheless, the password_viewer.exe virus sounds suspect. It is usually found "packaged" together with other malware. It is dumped into the victim's registry, where it causes all kinds of problems. *sigh* Hackers...

To the OP: Whatever the case, it is better safe than sorry to take the necessary precautions. ...if you haven't done so already, of course.

Mmm if it starts going it'll be a real pain in the bum to deal with, imho I'd just follow the thread that I posted too earlier and do what was done on that, as you said "Better safe than sorry".

I can't say whether it's originated from ZD but I remember the pop-up first happened when I was on the ZD index page.
It's popped up on a few other sites now too, so it's still in my system, I'll have to get shot of it myself.

I had a HTML injection virus at one of my old jobs (forgotten the name now), it came in from a clients website when I opened up dreamweaver to do a template update, it went fricken nuts and overwrote loads of code, took weeks to re-organise the websites and make sure it was dead, I remember seeing the lead seo manager running round the office ripping out network cables from everyones pc's... -_-'

Well, in light of this incident, I just received a message from Google Chrome stating that malware has been detected from desertcolossus.com. This little incident occurred upon visiting Djinn's profile. Note: I am not implying that the origin of the message is said profile. Furthermore, I've acknowledged that these are likely isolated incidents, and as such, are probably not connected.

Screen cap of message.
jzbsc2.png

My best guess is there is perhaps an image that contains malware from the aforementioned website.

Y

Yamarath

I'm not sure if there's ads here or not (I use Adblock Plus), but if there is, that's probably where the virus came from. The reason I block ads in the first place is that there are often viruses in ads. You don't even have to click on the ad to get the virus. If it just loads on the page, your computer can get screwed up.

Well, in light of this incident, I just received a message from Google Chrome stating that malware has been detected from desertcolossus.com. This little incident occurred upon visiting Djinn's profile. Note: I am not implying that the origin of the message is said profile. Furthermore, I've acknowledged that these are likely isolated incidents, and as such, are probably not connected.

Screen cap of message.
jzbsc2.png

My best guess is there is perhaps an image that contains malware from the aforementioned website.

by visiting Djinn's profile? That's odd, I don't know if I've ever visited Djinn's profile, I do think Djinn has visited mine though.

Just do what I do and install a decent Anti-Vir and run NoScript through Firefox, that'll filter out alot of bad stuff.
If you're REALLY paranoid about getting a virus just create a 20GB partition on your hard drive, install VMware on it and then install a Linux OS onto that, something like Ubuntu and do all your web browsing through that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom