• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda DLC and Expansions

Price seems steep for 1 dungeon. I would be expecting a lot more.

If Nintendo wants to release new dungeons/regions throughout this games life then my wallet is going to hurt. I can care less about everything else

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I mean, this dlc is pretty reasonable compared to dlc I've seen for other games, so I'll bite. I know some core Zelda fans will be confused by this, but the majority of "gamers" will eat this up like they do any other game with dlc (basically every AAA game in existence rn). Good for Nintendo for making themselves tons of money. Hopefully this will help lead to them doing bigger and better things.

Thanks Hyrule Warriors?

The DLC worked for that so well (ie it sold well) that Nintendo are trying it here. I don't think it's such a good idea because the DLC worked with the style of game HW was. Small bite sized chunks of gameplay, not one long single epic quest.

But if it gets people back into BotW after 6 months it'll be a good thing. The DLC content looks pretty poor to be honest. But yeah everyone will buy it so it's just a cash cow as this point.

Also paying for hero mode? That was free in the other Zelda games? The Hero mode fans are not going to be happy about this. However, I do think hero mode in this already hardgame will be like a dark souls mode. As long as this mode is there strictly for fun then I am ok with that. But being forced to pay more for it's existence? I don't know. I never used the hero mode, but having to pay for it?

Hero mode should have been free DLC in a patch if it's not ready for launch.

New feature for the new map? What the? Why should we have to wait for that? This feels game play related and not just cosmetic. If this amkes the map so much better I'll be annoyed for being forced to wait for it.

The OP didn't say what the DLC is so I will.

http://www.zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/special-announcement-from-eiji-aonuma/
The DLC announcement video is here too.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year.

Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game's Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items.
  • The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode, and a new feature for the in-game map.
  • The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story.
The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

Last edited:
I mean, this dlc is pretty reasonable compared to dlc I've seen for other games, so I'll bite. I know some core Zelda fans will be confused by this, but the majority of "gamers" will eat this up like they do any other game with dlc (basically every AAA game in existence rn). Good for Nintendo for making themselves tons of money. Hopefully this will help lead to them doing bigger and better things.
Thank you, it's nice to see a calm, reasonable reaction. Just like their online service, this DLC is still a way better value than many other examples out there (AAA DLC content per dollar). To me, a new dungeon and story arc, with some other goodies thrown in, are totally worth $20. This means that Nintendo is still invested in this game doing well, so they're going to continue to develop content for it down the road.

And to reiterate your best point, Nintendo making more money is a good thing for the Zelda franchise, not a bad thing.

Only if you can handle not getting Hero mode and a fully functional map on day one and have to wait for both. Both features that were in the base game price and on day one on other recent Zelda games. This is the first Zelda game where a fully functional map and Hero mode are paid DLC.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Only if you can handle not getting Hero mode and a fully functional map on day one and have to wait for both. Both features that were in the base game price and on day one on other recent Zelda games. This is the first Zelda game where a fully functional map and Hero mode are paid DLC.
I don't think "fully functional map" is quite right. It's just an added feature to the map. Saying "fully functional" implies that we won't be able to use the map effectively without the DLC which obviously isn't true.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I think the majority of people playing the game won't go straight to Hero mode anyway, and you are just assuming that the map won't be fully functional. We don't know what that function they are adding is, it could be specifically for the dlc.

Ponder on this for a moment: What if Nintendo announced a 5th dungeon and new original story as DLC for Majora's Mask? People would lose their minds with excitement. I know that MM has been out for quite a while and has garnered a significant fanbase, but the point is that people were satisfied with the amount of content in MM, and if Nintendo added more they would love it. I say let's evaluate vanilla BotW for what it is when it comes out, and then see if a new dungeon, new original story, and several other goodies is worth $20. My instinct is that it will be, especially since most will have beaten the game by the holiday season and will enjoy some new content to play with.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
zeldadlc.jpg
All this for 20$ is a bit of a stretch but it all depends on the details.
From what we know so far, I'm alright with this, but I'll wait till we actually know what all this is exactly

Call me overly optimistic, but there's probably already a Savage Den Cave of Shadow Labyrinth Trials Ordeals in the game, and the Cave of Trials is just another one (similar to the Cave of Shadows) with a new twist, possibly like they're all mechanical enemies like the mini guardians or the guardians with the blades.

Hard Mode could just be a ****ty mode where damage is doubled or something, but what if it was more similar to the second quest from LoZ or Master Quest in that it moved and changed dungeons/shrines to make them a lot more challenging? Hell, it might even change the locations of the shrines and dungeons so they'll be harder to locate.

I don't think "fully functional map" is quite right. It's just an added feature to the map. Saying "fully functional" implies that we won't be able to use the map effectively without the DLC which obviously isn't true.
It could be a case of you used it fine without the DLC but with the DLC the map improves so much that could could never go back to the map without the DLC.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
My personal take? No ****s given. All the stuff there is **** I don't care about. Hard mode? Meh. Cave of Ordeals? Ok. The new dungeon and original story bit is interesting. My only qualm is not being able to pick what you want from the DLC. That's kinda scummy. Otherwise? My opinion is unchanged about the game, and my hype is untouched. If they wanna add more **** later on in the game in the form of DLC, by all means.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Honestly when I heard "Additional Map Feature" I din't imagine a new mechanic, immediately thought a new location on the map (Map meaning "World" not "Navigational Tool" ). Although it is most likely a mechanical feature it could be a new place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom