• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Zelda AR Cards

linkypete

I am the very model of a modern major-general
Recently I wrote a letter to Nintendo of America, and in one portion of that letter I asked if maybe augmented reality (AR) cards for The Legend of Zelda could be a possibility in the near future for the 3ds. I eventually got a reply, and they said that they might consider it after reading my letter. What is your opinion on this? Do you think that they should make The Legend of Zelda AR cards, and if they do, what characters/ items should they make them for?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
They kinda already do, a Link one is included in the package when you buy a 3ds.

My opinion on this is the same as my opinion on there being DLC in Zelda. I don't believe strongly one way or the other, I know Nintendo doesn't rip you off with it like some other companies do. Like, some games you have to pay for more parts of the story/more levels/items you need to win. So you end up paying more than the game's worth. Fire Emblem Awakening I know has DLC, but plenty of content without it too, and you can beat it without paying for any extras if you want. So if they include it, I know they will do it right and I would like it.

That is assuming the AR cards are sold separately, if they come with the game...well, they shouldn't be something major. Say in order to get the dungeon item, you use the AR card. What if that certain card got lost or damaged? You wouldn't be able to progress. I would want the cards to be something like optional minigames. The ones that come with the 3ds are minigames, it would work well. Maybe you get a small reward like rupees for beating them.

Also, that's awesome that they responded!

I don't see AR cards playing an important role in future Zelda games. Augmented reality has primarily been used for simplistic mini games thus far. Forcing players out of the main adventure to engage in an AR activity breaks the experience apart. Additionally, it's uncomfortable to move the 3DS around, and forced gyro controls are impractical, especially if someone is playing their 3DS while travelling. This problem is worsened by using AR cards which require a flat surface to work.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Forcing players out of the main adventure to engage in an AR activity breaks the experience apart.

#rt

This is definitely true. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is a prime example of this, although one was never outright forced to use the AR activity. AR Cards, though, are not a bad idea; they'd likely be played using the AR Card widget thing on the 3DS main menu :)

linkypete

I am the very model of a modern major-general
I don't see AR cards playing an important role in future Zelda games. Augmented reality has primarily been used for simplistic mini games thus far. Forcing players out of the main adventure to engage in an AR activity breaks the experience apart. Additionally, it's uncomfortable to move the 3DS around, and forced gyro controls are impractical, especially if someone is playing their 3DS while travelling. This problem is worsened by using AR cards which require a flat surface to work.

I meant outside of the game, kind of like in kid icarus: uprising. On the title menu it can just have some sort of AR functionality that allows you to view zelda AR cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom