• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda- A playable character in BotW 2? (speculations)

What's the possibility?

• Total voters

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
In the BotW trailer we can see that Zelda has cropped her hair short !
:(:gno:
While I thought it was just a minor detail .I have read some articles which predict that Zelda might be a playable character in BotW 2 .(I think this thread is a bit outta timing as many of u might have already realised it)
Here's what short hair is gotta do with a playable character:
1) Experts say that Zelda's long hair might be a burden in graphics and would make it tedious for developers
2) Practically, warriors sport short hair . Historical evidence suggests that the enemies could not grab short hair and slit one s throat
whatever Nintendo better have an explanation for this cos I personally didn't like Zelda's short hair as it didn't suite her role- "The spirit maiden " rather it turned her into a random sports woman.20190909_191129.jpg

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1) these experts don't know what they are talking about. Long haired player characters exist in games and they even had Ganondorf playable in Hyrule Warriors and he had a massive mane.

2) Nintendo don't care for practicality. As @TheGreatCthulhu has pointed out, a lot of the weapons in the series are dumb and impractical.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
1) these experts don't know what they are talking about. Long haired player characters exist in games and they even had Ganondorf playable in Hyrule Warriors and he had a massive mane.

2) Nintendo don't care for practicality. As @TheGreatCthulhu has pointed out, a lot of the weapons in the series are dumb and impractical.
1)Botw 2 would have much superior graphics than HW. Also Ganon's mane doesn't require details like Zelda's hair like they have to make Zelda's hair sway gracefully when she moves or when the wind blows .
2) Zelda has long hair in botw ending cut scene. There is no continuity b/w the last scene and the trailer

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
no.jpg

1. Chopping Zelda's hair would sort out the clipping problem, especially if she is going to carry weapons on her back (if she is playable). But again, there was plenty of clipping with Link in the first game with the cloak and especially the DLC Xenoblade 2 gear if you were to equip weapons while wearing the head armour.

2. I think this is basically a none-argument when dealing with video games. Plenty of anime waifu bounce around with massive hair and laser swords and have no problem, no real reason Zelda couldn't do that in BotW2, especially since magic (the great practicality excuse) exists in-universe.

I do hope Zelda is playable and that Nintendo don't mess it up as they're prone to doing.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1)Botw 2 would have much superior graphics than HW. Also Ganon's mane doesn't require details like Zelda's hair like they have to make Zelda's hair sway gracefully when she moves or when the wind blows .
2) Zelda has long hair in botw ending cut scene. There is no continuity b/w the last scene and the trailer

1) BoTW 2 will have somewhat better graphics than HW but the Switch is not much more powerful than Wii U. Neither of those things are difficult with hair to any competent developer.

2) BoTW 2 probably does not take place directly after BoTW 1. There is likely a time jump of weeks or months before they explore the cave we see in the trailer.

Zelda with short hair is likely symbolic. She is moving away from her past, living as someone new. Being playable would be great, but I think something will happen to her when Ganondorf wakes up. He seems to look right at her and she is trapped with him, while Link is above with his hand glowing. It looks like a setup for Zelda being taken again, but I would love to be wrong.

Last edited:
Seemed a pretty darn compelling argument to me, tho I must admit perhaps I am a little biased since the arguments for zelda to be playable have gone well beyond nauseating at this point.
I honestly don't see anything wrong with Zelda being playable, but Link was always meant to be the player. The name is meant to connect the player with the character.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
You guys are all running around acting like playable Zelda would be this groundbreaking thing when Spirit Tracks exists.

No but in all seriousness I think a playable Zelda could be done well on one condition:
She can’t be the main character. Make her a side character at the most.

You guys are all running around acting like playable Zelda would be this groundbreaking thing when Spirit Tracks exists.

No but in all seriousness I think a playable Zelda could be done well on one condition:
That's exactly what I was thinking! I've seen people worried something happens to Link because of the reversed song that sounds like it's saying that, and we'll be forced to play as Zelda only. That will not happen.

The name is meant to connect the player with the character.
Good reason to change the name of the series to "The Adventures of Link" problem solved! Using the "Zelda" title is false advertising if you think about it. And anyway why is this fraud Princest Zelda taking credit for Link's heroic achievements. How utterly rude.

Or give players the option to ride donkeys and name one Zelda :shrugs:

BotW Zelda is one of the more annoying incarnations of Zelda, and that would be my biggest concern about her being playable. She needs to chill the **** out and stop being so whiny (ZELDA TRIANGLE LIP NEEDS TO SUPPRESS HER EMOTIONS LIKE LINK HAHAHAHA), otherwise it's really going to be distracting from the gameplay. I'm worried about how much screentime she's going to get already, because of how irritating she was in BotW and that was just in the memories.

Only thing I can say though, is that usually a character cutting their hair off like that is symbolic of a transformation of ideals or worldly outlook (think Zuko from Avatar; or Mulan too I guess), so if that signifies anything, maybe she'll have grown up a bit between the time of BotW and BotW2.

I didn't really like the incarnation of Zelda in ST either, but some of the co-op gameplay was the start of some really unique puzzles, if they wanted to polish up that execution, I'm sure it'd be okay. But yeah, she can't be the main player character, or it just wouldn't feel right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom