• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Zelda 2 = Crazy Hard

I have beaten Aol and I don't think it was that difficult aside from the sixth and seventh palace on top of the great palace. but it just takes time and knowledge when to use what spells etc otherwise you are going ot have a very difficult time with it.

As people are saying, leveling up is the key! If you level up enough, it actually makes most of the dungeons not that difficult. Great Palace and the path leading it to it are hard no matter what, though XD I got frustrated at parts, and there were times when I wondered if I'd ever get past the level I was on, but I kept going. It took me longer to beat AoL then it has any game since I was 10, but it was really satisfying and I plan to start again when school stops killing me. I am of the generation who was not born yet when the first Zeldas came out, so to me their legends have always been a little more legendary somehow... and that combined with my stubbornness gave me the drive to complete AoL. You can do it if you keep trying! Don't give up, I really liked this game!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I beat the game, but I used a Game Genie to give myself unlimited lives. It was still tough, but no longer ridiculous. I think it still took me a couple weeks to beat the game. It didn't really take away all the challenge the way unlimited health or something would have. I still felt challenged by the game.

The code is: SZKGKXVK

Now that I know what I'm doing, I might go back through it without unlimited lives and beat it the normal way. I was honestly just in a hurry to finish it, and got tired of how losing all your lives wasted so much time.

I will say that it's the only Zelda game I've cheated on. All the others, I've been able to beat without cheats. Well, except Spirit Tracks, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to beat that one, because I'm already near the end of it.

To be honest, it really wasn't a hard game so much as an annoying game, because of having to start back at the North Castle and risk losing level ups every time you continued from losing all lives. I think that's what annoyed people more than anything, and I will say that it's actually kind of fun if you play with unlimited lives, basically "fixing" that issue.

C

Chubby Luma

I've played like, 5 minutes of it and... wow. I found it obscenely difficult. i couldn't get used to the fighting mechanic amidst all the dying and failure on my part. I'm sure plenty of people out there are really good at it, I'm just not one of them!:lol:

Mases must be more than a wizard he makes it look so easy. Anybody who has beating this game, what's your secret??

Save states, lol...

Actually I am playing through this game again... I've never beaten it but I have done every palace but the final one before... And then I lost my memory card so I am starting over to hopefully beat this game that has kicked my *** for 15 almost 16 years. Anyways every night, ask any of the staff here I curse the game to the fullest extent. Other then last night. There is something about the 3rd palace that just makes me all giddy inside. Its the point where the game finally feels manageable before it gets hard again.

As of today I have every single Magic Container, and Every Heart container... I beat the 5th palace before I beat the fourth just out of personal preference... (actually I take that back I got to the boss of the 5th before I got to the fourth, but died, gameover, bye bye Jojo) Anyways i suggest leveling up although it feels like ETERNITY to get your levels up high enough that you do reasonable damage. but it makes the game so much easier.. In fact I leveled everything up to 4, before I even touched the swamp palace and had everything at atelast 3 before going to the first palace. Its a little time consuming but you'll be thankful :)

T

The_man

I was born the year the first zelda was born and mario, zelda, and Final fantasy have been my baby sitters ever since. I have beaten all the zeldas and marios and final fantasy's, but AOL holds a specail place in my heart. i have lost a few controllers due to my first run in with this game so many years ago, but it was totally worth it my friend. Just take advantage of your spells and level up as much as possible. Save your link dolls till you get to the last few palaces. Just remember that every enemy in the game has a pattern and is therefore predictable

AOL is probably the hardest Zelda there is. BUT its hard like most NES games were. Games now adays are easy. I beat it 20 years ago without even nintendo Power magazines. It took forever. I haven't played the game since though. I was never a fan of the leveling up system that it had. It was to rpg. I know Zelda is considered a rpg, but I consider it more of a action adventure. I love the hearts system of "leveling" up. Grinding gets tedious and boring. BUT I am close to 100% TP and was looking for my next Zelda to do. I may start at the beginning and do LOZ and then AOL. I have them all on my Wii so Im good. Should be fun.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I've played like, 5 minutes of it and... wow. I found it obscenely difficult. i couldn't get used to the fighting mechanic amidst all the dying and failure on my part. I'm sure plenty of people out there are really good at it, I'm just not one of them!:lol:

The fighting isn't too terribly tough to get used to .. it's all a matter of knowing when to duck to block low and when to strike, when to be aggressive and when to be more defensive. Once you get the hang of it the game in regards to battles flows smoothly (until you get to Eastern Hyrule anyway lol).

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Is it just me or is Zelda 2 savagely difficult to the point of insurmountable?

Play the original Castlevania, the original Ninja Gaiden, and the original Metroid and come back. Those games make Zelda II seem like child's play.

But I do agree that it's probably the hardest game in the series so far.

boomerang said:
I know most people already think it's hard and say it's the "black sheep" or whatever but I mean, I watched the most of the entire walkthrough for it, am using cheat codes & it's still hard!!

I highly doubt that. With good reflexes, some patience, and knowledge to know what Spells to cast/etc. you'd pretty much destroy the game for the most part. Not to mention grinding makes it easier, like all RPG's.

boomerang said:
there are times when enemies gang up on you from every direction & I do not see how it is even possible to avoid death.

I guess that means I'm an epic Wizard with super gaming powers, 'cuz I've gotten out of situations like that plenty of times.

But seriously, you are exaggerating a little bit. It is possible. Hard, yes. Impossible, no.

boomerang said:
And I thought the cheap-cheap levels in Mario 1 are annoying--the sections in Zelda 2 with the broken bridge and the boggle-boggles are... inconceivable!

I'm sorry, what? Seriously? I personally thought those were some of the easier parts of the game. Annoying, yes, hard, no. Unless you're talking about the bubbles, in which case you seriously lack patience, timing, and reflexes.

boomerang said:
Mases must be more than a wizard he makes it look so easy. Anybody who has beating this game, what's your secret??

Actually, Mases just grew up with games like those and has been playing AoL for a very long time to the point where it poses no real challenge to him for the most part. It's just a combo of him being used to playing games that were hard like that back in the day as well as his vast amount of experience playing it.

Also, I'm sure we've had plenty of threads covering this subject before, right? Anyways, Zelda II's difficulty is, for the most part, exaggerated. To an inexperienced player of AoL, it can be extremely frusterating, but for somebody who's gone through the process of learning what the best strategies/etc. are for defeating enemies and such, then it's a breeze for the most part.

pacpix

AWESOME
Very difficult. It makes donkey kong country returns seem like Elmos alphabet adventure

I think I remember playing AoL back when in the day when it first came out, but being young and impatient I don't think I got too far. So I'm currently playing AoL as we speak (last Zelda console game I have not beaten), and I agree with most of the suggestions already given in this thread:

- Power up early and often....thought I could just get through like a normal Zelda game (get things as you go), but after getting killed half-way through Death Mtn. for about the 8th time I finally decided to bite the bullet and just take the time to get those points.

* Suggestion for getting easy points early in the game (after completing the 1st palace and on your way to the 2nd)....go into the cave south of Ruto and defeat all enemies in the first 2 sections of the cave (i believe there are about 4 Octorocks and 2 Goriyas) and you can get about 80 points or so and sometimes a Point Bag will drop out here and there. Leave the cave and go back to Ruto and get your hearts back, and it will reset the enemies as well. Repeat this process over and over again. Obviously, as you power up this will take longer and longer to do, but this game requires patience (and more patience).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom