• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Writing Competition Round 36: Results

Which Entry is Your Favorite?

• Entry 1

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Apologies for the late start, this month kind of crept up on me and blurred together with the last one somehow. :sweat:

Welcome back to another round of the Zelda Dungeon Writing Competition! I tried to make this concept as flexible as possible, and I'm really hoping it gains interest. This month's theme is:

Video Game Lore Expansion

I've been playing The Elder Scrolls a lot lately, and I've always enjoyed the short stories that one can find in the books of the game. For this round I wanted to replicate that, but not limit it to a particular video game series. Choose a video game of your choice, and write as if you are a character that exists in that universe who has decided to write a short story. Also keep in mind it doesn't have to be a story either, it could be a brief historical account of some event, or a relation of some kind of research that would make sense in the gaming series, etc...

Note: there are some loose parameters here with formatting.

• Please relate the video game series you have chosen outside the body of the work, regardless of whether it should seem obvious. There is always that possibility that readers might not know what gaming series your piece is from.
  • Give your piece a title, and an author. If the author's identity is supposed to be a mystery, just say by "Unknown". As an example of formatting:
Skittles

by Spiritual Mask Salesman
Eat them in healthy moderation!

• 4,000 words is the maximum word count. This is the middleground of what is typically acceptable for published short stories on the internet. Personally I don't mind having no limits on word counts, but unfortunately for a competition such as this I think there is a point where length might deter people from reading entries fully through.​
Please submit all entries to me via DM by August 24th, 2021, at 11:59 PM EST (GMT -4)!

As always, if there are any questions DM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Happy writing!

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This month we got 2 entries, I hope you all enjoy!

(Series: The Legend of Zelda)

Day 1

Dear Journal,

I spent all of today stooped over my desk in worry. I received a letter from him- from Kafei. I don’t know why he’s gone, why he left so suddenly. He’s always been very concerned about his honor and the way people see him, but right now I don’t care about any of that. We are to be married in two days and he will offer no explanation as to why he’s gone. Despite all this I trust Kafei, I know that he’ll be back. I know that he’s okay. He has to be.

Another dull day has passed at the Stock Pot in. All of our rooms are booked despite the danger looming above town. I don’t know if the moon will truly fall but as a precaution I am leaving with my mother tomorrow to the safety of Romani Ranch. I would like to stay and wait for Kafei, but I have yet to hear from him and have no way of telling whether he has already left. Knowing him, he would stay in the town until the moon was on his head in order to complete something he had set his mind upon. So when my mother asked me to flee with her, I didn’t argue. Tomorrow I leave my Inn and my Town behind and I sincerely hope I can return to them once all this is over. Please Kafei, be careful.

The moon is falling. I am at Romani Ranch, and even from here I can see the devastation this will bring. I now doubt that I will be safe even here from the shockwaves as it crashes into the center of Termina. Things aren’t okay here at the ranch, Romani is unwell and the cows have all vanished. It seems that everyone has fallen victim to one catastrophe after the other and none will be free from the moon’s final blow. I have a strong feeling that I will never see Kafei again. It’s over.
-Anju

Dear Journal,

I spent all of today stooped over my desk in worry. A strange visitor arrived around the time that I received a letter from Kafei. He wanted to know about Kafei, if I knew where he went. I wish I could help him, but I don’t know why he’s gone. All I could do was burden the boy with a request of my own. I met with him a little while ago to give him a letter I wish to be delivered to Kafei. This letter is my only hope of seeing him before the moon falls.

Today was an infuriating day at the Stock Pot Inn. The boy I entrusted my letter to never returned, never gave any report of whether he had found Kafei. I am beginning to wonder whether he had even bothered to deliver my letter at all. I shouldn’t have been so desperate as to think that a child would solve all of my problems. Tomorrow I leave with my mother to Romani Ranch, and I am too frustrated to continue writing in this journal. Perhaps the only good thing in all of this is that the mysterious voice emanating from the bathroom has disappeared, ha ha. But seriously Kafei, be careful.
-Anju

Dear Journal,

I spent all of today stooped over my desk in worry. A strange visitor arrived around the time that I received a letter from Kafei, and he wanted to know if I knew where Kafei went. I wish I could help him, but I don’t know why he’s gone or why he left so suddenly. All I could do was burden the boy with a request of my own. I gave him a letter that is my only hope of seeing Kafei again, I only hope he will be able to follow the postman and discover Kafei’s location. It is my only chance of seeing Kafei again.
The boy returned today, and he brought with him a gift from Kafei- his Pendant of Memories. Kafei and I always wanted to be wed on the Carnival of Time, ever since we were young. Even now I know he wouldn’t abandon me at such a time if he didn’t believe in his heart that it was absolutely necessary. Despite much arguing with my mother, I have decided to remain in ClockTown and wait for him. I know she only wants what’s best for me, but I know now that he remembers our promise. Please Kafei, be careful.

The moon is falling. I’ve waited all night but Kafei has yet to come, yet to arrive. I can only imagine what must have befallen him, I picture him trapped and alone somewhere far from here. It is clear now that the moon will indeed crush not only ClockTown, but all of Termina. I can only hope that Kafei escapes its devastation. The boy who helped me has also not returned, it seems that everyone has fallen victim to one catastrophe after the other and none will be free from the moon’s final blow. My wedding dress and Moon Mask are here but I don’t think I’ll get a chance to wear them. I have a strong feeling that I will never see Kafei again, despite everything he did to be with me again. It’s over.
-Anju

Dear Journal,

I spent all of today stooped over my desk in worry. A strange visitor arrived around the time that I received a letter from Kafei. He was a small boy dressed in green, I’ve never seen him before but he seems to know Kafei. He wanted to know about Kafei, if I knew where he went. I wish I could help him, but I don’t know why he’s gone or why he left so suddenly. All I could do was burden the boy with a request of my own. I met with him a little while ago to give him a letter I wish to be delivered to Kafei. I know the postman is aware of his location, if this boy follows him he may be able to find my missing fiance. It is my only hope.

The boy returned today, and he brought with him a gift from Kafei- his Pendant of Memories. Kafei and I always wanted to be wed on the Carnival of Time, ever since we were young. He has always been so determined to make that day absolutely perfect. Even now I know he wouldn’t abandon me at such a time if he didn’t believe in his heart that it was absolutely necessary. Despite much arguing with my mother I have decided to remain in ClockTown and wait for him. I know she only wants what’s best for me, but I know now that he remembers our promise to always be there for each other. I know that he’ll be back- please Kafei, be careful.

I write this in the final moments before the moon falls and destroys all of Termina. The boy returned with Kafei, my dear sweet Kafei. By some strange power he had been transformed into a child, and I understand now why he had to leave. After all those years of promising me the perfect wedding, there he was three days before hand stuck in a childlike state and no longer in possession of the Sun Mask he was to wear at our wedding. We had each crafted a special mask for our wedding day, his a Sun Mask and mine a Moon Mask, and they serve as a reminder that we will always be together. He spent this time trying to retrieve it so he could come to me again, not ashamed but knowing he had kept his word. I would have loved him without it, but to see how much pain he went through makes me love him even more. Tonight we made sure to say our goodbyes before the moon delivers its final blow. I know that we will not see the dawn of tomorrow, but at least we can face the end together, as we should always be.
-Anju & Kafei
(Series: Metroid)

Mobile Identifier Development Log 03
Dr. Madeline Bergman​

The simulation is now undergoing development, our software engineers seemingly enjoying the challenge of creating an experience that is true-to-life. To gather the data we need, the subject will have little choice in the events of the simulation; as the majority of information required is combat and reflexive-based. The script for the events in the simulation has been fully completed. I must say I do appreciate the inclusion of my likeness, however obsequious it may be.

Mobile Identifier Development Log 07
Dr. Madeline Bergman​
Subject SA-C has recovered from all injuries caused by her mission on Class XIX planet “Zebes.” According to the contract agreed to before the original Zebes mission, the subject has given consent to any testing or emergency medical procedures that must be performed by the Galactic Federation. Due to her comatose state, we have deemed it appropriate to administer the E.M.M.I development simulation as it is nearing completion. The inhibitor is planned for injection tomorrow.

Mobile Identifier Development Log 11
Dr. Madeline Bergman​
The injection was a success and SA-C is undergoing simulation. The subject’s behaviors required temporary alteration as well as the actions of commanding officers in the simulation. This is in order to study how the subject reacts to distinct but controlled situations. Our scientists have also begun studying the Chozo technology utilized by SA-C to determine its strength.

Mobile Identifier Development Log 24
Dr. Madeline Bergman​

Commander Adam Malkovich has been viewing the simulation and appears to show distaste for the way his provided persona has been implemented. Having worked with the subject personally, he has described the scripted actions of himself and SA-C as “uncannily inaccurate.” The commander was reminded by staff that any complaints and desired changes to the script by personas included in the simulation were to be mailed in two weeks before finalization.

Mobile Identifier Development Log 53
Dr. Madeline Bergman​

Subject SA-C is nearing completion of the simulation as we now have data displaying the extent of her full abilities. She will return to consciousness tomorrow and her personality will be reverted to its default state. The data collected will be utilized in the development of the Extraplanetary Multiform Mobile Identifiers, or E.M.M.I.s. I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to all the personnel who developed and assisted me with this study and those who donated their likeness for use in the simulation. Thank you all for assisting me with, as Commander Malkovich mockingly put it, project “Other M.”

And as a bonus I decided to take a crack at the theme. As normal, my piece will not be available to vote for (it would have been too obvious it was from me anyway). I don't mind feedback in the comments, however. The next part I failed to finish before today, but I think it'd be more fun to release it later anyway considering the vibe of the story.

(Series: The Elder Scrolls)

Defending a Necromancer
Volume I
by Master Wizard Antons Falvino​

Tavthus Avahren took residence near Whiterun in 4E 8. After the Red Year Tavthus migrated to Skyrim along with other Dunmer refugees. He settled near Whiterun because the temperatures there are mild year round, and he preferred that to the harsh cold of other areas of the land. He once told me that he picked mainland Skyrim as his new home over Solstheim because the unique flora, fauna, and other alchemical ingredients of Skyrim were of great interest to him for study.

Sadly, Tavthus' arrival created an unease among the townsfolk simply because he was a mage not recognized with high standing by Jarl Olfrrim, as would be the case with a designated Court Wizard. The Oblivion Crisis certainly created a smirch upon the arcane art, and Nords were already uneasy about Magick long before. Simply being a Dark Elf did not help either.

Shortly after his arrival, corpses began to go missing from the Whiterun Catacombs, spurring rumors through the city that Tavthus was surely a Necromancer with nefarious goals. It did not take long for the rumors to reach Riverwood, and even as far as Helgen.

One evening a trader, Lasimund Raven-Eye, who frequently made trips between Riverwood and Whiterun, saw a flash of light from Tavthus' cabin. Out of curiosity he peered into a window to see an altar decorated and full of offerings surrounding a finger bone, as well as Tavthus consorting with a ghostly spirit. He immediately reported this to the guards. With nearly the whole of central Skyrim suspicious against him, Tavthus was promptly arrested and detained in the Dragonsreach Dungeon.

A mob formed demanding Tavthus' execution, but the current state of political affairs required calm, rational action, the Nords feared a Dunmer rebellion might arise to overtake Skyrim, and mishandling this could spark such an uprising. The arrest occurred on Loredas, 15th of Second Seed, and an appeal with the Jarl was to commence in about a week's time, on Morndas, 9:00 AM, on the 23rd.

A request was sent discreetly to the College of Winterhold asking for my expertise to shine light on the matter. When I was a younger man recently graduated from the college, I spent a few years on Vvardenfell studying the Dunmer's culture, with a particular interest in the knowledge of the Telvani Wizard-Lords. The Nords did not want to risk seeking aid from a Dunmer for the reasons previously stated, and if the results of the appeal went unfavorably for Tavthus, there would at least be a possibility of suppression of the news to the wider world; this was why I was chosen to investigate the matter and offer counsel.

Upon my arrival on Tirdas, the 18th, I promptly examined Tavthus' cabin. I approached the case with an open mind: either I would uncover proof he is a Necromancer, or not, I could not simply assume one way or the other. The main thing I was looking for was any indication that Tavthus was a member of House Telvani. All other houses despise the Black Art, but the Telvani Wizards have an open mind and have been known to dabble into the Necromantic school. Besides this, I looked for a large accumulation of salt and Linen wrappings, perhaps an embalming tool as well. It would be natural to uncover apparel enchanted with strong Conjuration magick, Necromancy is technically a subset of this school. And finally, most damning, Black Soul gems. I found no trace of any such thing, nor of any secret areas within or beneath the cabin.

This didn't matter, however. His cabin blatantly contained a Waiting Door, that is, an altar venerating remains of an ancestor to call upon them in ritual. Merely practicing his religion in a foreign land could prove to be the death of him if the appeal went unfavorably, and explaining this as something other than the Black Art to the Nords would prove a great challenge for me.

There also remained the fact that there had been unexplained disappearances in the catacombs, I could at least rule out Tavthus as the culprit with near certainty. That meant there was a real Necromancer still on the loose. I wondered who it could be?

The next day I was allowed to briefly speak to Tavthus in the dungeon, with supervision. I explained my purpose: I would do my best to plead in his favor with the Jarl before the appeal, but I needed to know what case he would present. It was actually quite simple, and a suitable groundwork for me to work with – he would argue that Skyrim, being under Imperial Rule, must adhere to Imperial Law. The law states that Ancestor Worship is permitted.

The remaining time until I would advise Jarl Olfrrim was devoted to creating my case, and investigating further to uncover the real Necromancer in the area. Besides Tavthus' cabin, there were only farms and stables around the exterior of the city, as well as the Honningbrew Meadery. Any caves would be too far to be bases for research, so I deduced the real culprit would have to be a resident of the city interior. This narrowed the potential suspects nicely.

The Court Wizard, Fialia Lironds, a Breton who, from what I gathered during conversations I've had with the townsfolk, studied Magick in the Mages Guild before it disbanded.

Mekot Ulrarsen, the Priest and caretaker of the Hall of the Dead.

Lastly, Ronya, the sole Priest of the Temple of Kynareth.

On my first evening after arrival, I was invited to stay in the most lavish guest room in Dragonsreach. I dined each night with the Jarl and all of his other subjects, including Fialia. On the second evening I put on as much charm as I could while conversing with her. She seemed nervous, but not in any suspicious way. I was even invited to access her study, should I need any particular books of reference, or use of an Alchemy lab or Arcane Enchanter; an offer which I gladly accepted.

After the feast I followed her to the study. I did not want to show my hand with an extensive search, but my quick glance through her alchemical ingredients caused no alarm. I took some wheat, creep cluster, and a giant's toe to create a potent restoration potion.

“So, what really brings you to Whiterun,” Fialia pyred. "Surely you are not retiring here after some long journey like we've been told!"

“Quite insightful. Indeed, my business here is not what has been publicly announced. I am here to fulfill a confidential task, yet a rather obvious one in light of recent events,” I calmly responded as I finished mixing the potion.

“To investigate the accusations made against that Dunmer,” she asked with intrigue.

I nodded, “Yes.”

In the midst of our conversation a courier interrupted to pass her a letter. We resumed talking well into the evening, recounting various tales from our travels through the world. She then prompted her retirement to her bed chambers for the night.

“I'll make my leave for the evening as well,” I agreed with a yawn. It had been a very long day for me, and I would have preferred going to bed much earlier.

“Or… you could stay with me,” she smiled seductively. A tempting offer, but one I had to decline. I had too much work ahead, and very little time, I needed rest.

“Perhaps after my work is complete,” I smiled back.

“I would like that,” she responded with a whisper.

After this interaction I was left with a mixed impression. She was very kind, hospitable, and somewhat open. Yet at the same time I felt as if she was hiding something, and she was very keen on delving into the progress of my investigation. Her study had nothing out of the ordinary, but it wasn't a completely private area to begin with. Perhaps I should have accepted her very forward advance, if only to examine her more private chambers, I thought. But then why invite me into them at all? Whether she was the person I was searching for, I was still uncertain.

On my third day I wanted to visit the Temple of Kynareth to talk with Ronya, but the Temple was locked, and visitors were not allowed inside due to the sick within carrying disease that could spread. This did not seem out of the ordinary, and could potentially rule Ronya out as a suspect.

So instead I went to the Hall of the Dead. Mekot was a young Priest of Arkay that seemed rather distraught about the disappearances in the Catacombs.

“I don't know who is stealing the dead, nor do I know how, but whoever it is – I want their head,” he snarled at me before I asked anything.

In appearance he seemed very much against the Black Art. However, many of my questions went curiously unanswered, and I was left feeling that not much of anything that he said was truly genuine. Of all the possible suspects, I was most certain that he could be the Necromancer. It made the most sense: he had access to the Catacombs day and night, and I found it most suspicious that once the initial reports of missing bodies came to attention that he did not strengthen his vigil. The only question that remained was what could he have done with the bodies?

This question burned my mind as I prepared to rest for the evening. I could not claim Mekot as the real Necromancer on mere deductive reasoning, what I needed was actual proof.

That night my life nearly came to its end. I awoke with a terrible chill, and from the darkness a dagger pierced my stomach! As the poison entered my bloodstream, I became weaker with every moment, so with my remaining energy I cast a lightning cloak to prevent further assault. The assassin seemed startled and did not linger. When I removed the blade I noted the aroma of Scathacraw and Great Lichen, there had to have been Orange Dartwing employed as well. I must admit, the assassin was cunning: this was a potent poison to decrease my Magicka and slowly kill me! I suppose they had hoped with my reserves of Magicka lost, I could not combat the damage to my body from the poison with any regeneration spell. Indeed,I would have died if it had not been for the Restoration potion I crafted the day prior.

My lightning cloak spell had awoken many in nearby rooms, as I regained my strength guards entered my room and I recounted what had happened. The Jarl's Housecarl, Agnar, was alerted and posted a strong guard presence around Olfrrim's chambers. Guards were posted outside my room as well, but I could not sleep after such an encounter. I knew the attempt on my life meant that my investigation was on the right track, and with the remaining hours before daybreak I began to fit together the pieces of the puzzle laid out before me: what I was soon to uncover was a very elaborate scheme!

Who do you all think the Necromancer is? Take guesses before the next part is released, probably in my blog.

Voting will end on August 31st, 2021, at 11:59 PM EST (GMT -4)!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Sorry for the delay in ending the comp. Anyway, this month we have a tie! Give a round of applause to the winners @MapelSerup and @Uwu_Oocoo2!

Entry 1 - Uwu_Oocoo2
Entry 2 - MapelSerup

Thank you both for participating, and to those who voted! I'm hoping next month we get more interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom