• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Writing Competition Round 34: Results

Which Entry is Your Favorite?

• Entry 1

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Entry 3

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Entry 4

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Welcome back to another round of the writing competition! Leading up to today I had a few ideas I was juggling around, but with spring underway, and easter coming up, I ended up landing on something related to nature. This month's theme will be: Rain

As the saying goes, April showers bring May flowers. It's the month of rain! Submit entries to me via DM by Friday, April 23rd, 2021, at 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5).

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all write!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This month we recieved 4 entries, and once again our anonymous writer participated, but still wanted to maintain their anonymity. Voting will end on April 30th, 2021, at 11:59 EST (GMT -4)!

The light pattering of rain on the top of his house was a harrowing reminder of her absence. In a way, the sounds of water hitting the metal roof reminded him of her voice. Certainly an odd comparison—one that he couldn’t even explain—but it didn’t matter. His only companions anymore, the natural sounds that broke the ponderous silence were like that of the universe weeping with him.

The way he looked reflected how miserable he had felt for the past month. He hadn’t shaved, only showered when absolutely necessary, and had developed the habit of wearing the same clothes over and over without cleaning them. As chaotic as he was in his behavior, his home was in even greater disarray. Plates, bags, and other trash littered the counters and living spaces, layers of dust remained on nearly every shelf and corner of the place. On appearances alone, you might suppose the home’s owner to be some do-nothing lay-about. But really, the poor sap couldn’t be blamed for wallowing in his own melancholy.

Just a month before, the shell that lagged about his home anymore was a clean-cut, active guy. Diligent. Hopeful. Would’ve stayed that way had his beloved wife not been stolen from him. No, she didn’t end up with some other man. Nor did she leave of her own accord. In the prime of his and her life—what should’ve been their best years together—Fate had to go and claim her life with its merciless hands.

It would’ve been tolerable had they both gone together, so one didn’t have to stay behind and bear the loss of the other, but no. Fate cared not for convenience when a radiant soul was taken in a car accident that Thursday evening.

The funeral had come and gone as quickly as the accident itself, but the emotions that followed struck her husband harder than he had ever expected. Both he and the family had known it would be difficult, but life seemed to become a twisted, hellish limbo after she left.

Memories of the instants before, during, and after the accident would rush through his mind in every waking moment, and the nights were consumed with the same agony as he was repeatedly jolted awake from night terrors. In his dreams, he would vividly imagine himself with his hand clasped in hers as they made their way down Route 313 like they had so many times before. Some light rain clouds could be seen peaking over the horizon as sweet nothings would be passed back and forth between the young couple every now and then. The sun would steadily wane as it had every time.

But the fleeting bliss would always end in the same way. A flash. A scream. Pain. All followed by darkness. In reality, he would find himself awake in the blinding light of a hospital room an hour or so after the crash, but these nightmares sent him flailing awake in a cold sweat, grasping around the sheets of his bed—no, their bed—for the warmth he had grown used to.

This excruciating cycle in every night had caused him to dread the evening hours. Mug after mug of stale coffee and countless cans of energy drinks would be downed in vain to avoid the agony of seeing her go again. As simple or foolish as it may have seemed, his spirit had been broken enough times that he was willing to try anything to stop himself from reliving the pain. Bloodshot eyes would keep staring through the blackness of his room at the window in hopes that the morning dawn would come quickly. But he would only continue to see rain.

A v ^ A v ^

Link played the Song of Storms, causing rain to fall on the fields of the grateful farmers. “Thank you, Hero of Time!” they called. He sighed. Ever since returning from Termina, where he had been trapped while looking for Navi, his fairy companion, in a time loop of the same 3 days while trying to stop the moon from crashing, he had spent the entire summer bringing rain, as there was a drought. He put the Ocarina in his pocket, mounted his horse Epona and left before the farmers could try to invite him for dinner, as often happened.

He rode home to Lon Lon Ranch, where he had moved after leaving Kokiri Forest, in exchange for helping Talon with chores around the farm. After putting Epona in her stable, he went behind the barn where he had a training dummy and began to work on his sword arts. He had been working on improving his technique, and had come up with several impressive moves. He worked on perfecting the Helm Splitter, constantly smacking his shield into the dummy and jumping into the air, experimenting with different methods of plunging the sword into the dummy’s head. As he worked, however, his heart wasn’t in it. The notes of the Song of Storms whirled endlessly in his head, and finally he had had enough.

“Alright, Hyrule!” he shouted, throwing down his sword. “You want rain? I’ll give you rain!” He went back to the stable, saddled and bridled Epona, and left Lon Lon Ranch. He took the east road towards Zora’s Domain. After leaving Epona at the river, he walked to Zora’s Domain and to the lake which was the water source for all Hyrule. He then pulled out the Ocarina of time, and with a deep breath

A v ^ A v ^ A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^A v ^ A v ^

He played the Song of Storms late into the night, finally falling asleep from exhaustion. The next day, he woke up and walked back down the river to Epona, noting how high the river had risen. He felt a sense of smug satisfaction as he mounted Epona and heard how the ground squelched under her hooves.

From then on out, whenever Link received a request to water a field, he could decline it without feeling guilty. “I know it was petty,” as he explained to Malon one evening “But in my mind, I helped them all at once and now I don’t need to.”

The clouds above let out their last droplets of rain in one thunderous sigh. Originally a playful, puffy white, they had become gray with time; and now, having let down their load, were only still gray due to the darkness of the night behind them. These last few beads of rain careened through the cold air towards the nearly deserted park below. They seemed to fall chaotically, but, had someone perhaps been skydiving at the same rate, he might see that the raindrops danced and intertwined with each other. A beautiful and unique sight only seen from a relative perspective. Were our theoretical skydiver well-versed in the art of ballroom dancing, perhaps he would notice each droplet performed its own dance: a cha-cha, a salsa, a bachata. The rain executed its wonderful ball before abruptly hitting the ground. Hopefully our skydiver landed more gracefully.

Witnessing all of this, a couple sat inside the park gazebo, it's cracking white paint and thin roof offering satisfactory protection from the downpour. The girl gave the young man a moonlit grin as they stood up and began their silent dance inside the gazebo. They acclimated to the steps of their own waltz, with no tune to guide them save the pattering rain outside. A warm twilight shower had brought the park an ethereal tranquility. The waning moon revealed itself, and the sun's rays reflected for a second time off the young woman's wet brown hair. The waltz grew more energetic now that the gloomy rain had ended. As the last few tears of rain reached the grass, their performance shifted to the larger ballroom surrounding them; the moist ground beneath them sufficing as a ballroom floor under their bare feet, and the moonlight refracting through the soaked canopy of leaves above them acting as a majestic chandelier. The couple began a foxtrot, and their quick steps took them across the natural garden. Soaked and refreshed wildflowers glistened beneath the lovers; and as their feet stomped the puddles, they cast up the rainwater once again to dance with them.

Thunder rumbled to the east as a fresh wave of icy water broke against the tree line. Brinne shivered, drawing the tarred canvas outercoat she wore even tighter with her free hand. The sharp, icy sensation of strong wing and cold water seeped in through the gaping hole in the back of the coat. Not for the first time, she regretted having to shoot that blackcoat. If she'd only been able to get closer...

Brinne shook herself. No sense in dwelling on could-have-beens. She drummed the fingers of her left hand along the flintlock she held, hand clasped protectively over the mechanism. Chill rain plastered her short, dark hair to her head. She should pass as a blackcoat if anyone saw her, assuming they did not look to close at her pale, coppery skin. If they did.. well, she would be glad she kept her powder dry, no matter how chilled her left hand felt.

A flash of blue-white light flickered on the southern horizon, illuminating the wavy underside of the clouds. The main body of the storm was still far out to sea, deep in the Eye. Rain would persist for hours in a storm like this. Maybe days, if she was lucky. Though Brinne had several paper cartridges tightly wrapped inside strips of waxed canvas, she had no way of loading a second shot while keeping the powder clear from the rain. At the least, the blackcoats would suffer from the same limitations, giving her a chance to slip away.

Frond-like leaves rustled to the right of where Brinne stood. Quickly, she pressed herself against the trunk of a nearby tree. Paranoia if it was just the wind stirring the foliage, good sensibility if it was a blackcoat. A few breaths passed before her eyes caught movement. Seeing the dark canvas amongst the greenery was a trial during a downpour such as this, but that was inescapably a blackcoat; one of the men that had pursued her, no doubt.

"Hold there!" A shout broke through the pouring rain as the blackcoat stopped, raising a musket to his eye. Between the distance and the rain, Brinne could not make out the man's features. She could tell that he had his finger on the trigger, though, and she withdrew behind the tree as fast as she could. A deafening crack, a pale imitation of the thunder that rumbled in the distance, sounded off as a spray of sodden wooden splinters erupted from the side of the trunk

Counting to three in her head, Brinne whirled around the side of the trunk. She gripped the butt of the pistol in her right hand, shielding the flash pan from the storm with her left hand. The fool of a man had yet to take cover, and she took a moment to aim. From this far away and through the driving rain, the shot was more in the hands of fortune than skill. Exhaling, Brinne lined up the barrel with the man's torso, then pulled the trigger.

A second false thunder-crack sounded off as the hammer of the firing mechanism flew forward, igniting the powder in the pan. A brief gust of scorching hot air warmed the frigid underside of her left hand as the blasting powder in the barrel flashed and burned, propelling the leaden ball forward. Icy water cooled her hand again in an instant, as a strangled shout broke through the storm. She had gotten lucky, then.

With just a bit more luck, she could lose her pursuers in the forests of the island. Not even sparing a glance for the fallen man, Brinne turned and ran deeper into the dense greenery, wiping some of the frigid rain from her eyes as she drew her stolen coat even tighter.

Lakshmi's Daughter

At first, nobody was worried about the rain. Then they learned the truth- somehow, water had changed, and the Earth had too much of it. So, as clouds thickened across the atmosphere, thick, blotchy drops of rain pelted unsuspecting civilization, and on July 16, 2041, the Earth began to flood.

The driest regions were the first to go silent, as the vast canyons of the American West once again became raging rivers, the African Savanna flash flooding, killing humans and wildlife indiscriminately. India's lush jungle expanse absorbed much of the rain, but her leaders knew they would soon follow the rest of the world. With time running out, they evacuated as many families and supplies as they could onto military cruisers. Healthy pets, heirlooms, livelihoods, all left behind. And so, as the first military cruiser newly christened Lakshmi weighed anchor, those left behind stood watching in fear, waiting for the inevitable.

"You just left them there?! That's horrible!"

"Who is telling this story, child? We had to, though not a day goes by that I don't remember their faces, as though they were already gone."

Manasi sat silent for a moment, feeling the weight of her grandfather's sorrow. "You know, Baba, I'm seventeen. Hardly a child."

"Well, I'll stop calling you child when you're as old as I am."

"But I'll never be as old as you- you get older too!"

Baba chuckled. "Mama, is dinner ready yet?" He leaned in towards Manasi. "Bet it's fish again," he whispered.

"I heard that," Mama scolded from the houseboat kitchen. "And for your information, I've made a lovely stew for us."

"Oh, wonderful! What's in the stew?"

"Fish," she replied innocently. "Come now, it's getting cold."

Manasi got up from the rug she and Baba had been sitting on together and crossed the interior of the houseboat to sit at the makeshift wooden table. "So, back to the story. I can't imagine. It must have been awful back then. What about my parents? Did they... you know?"

Baba and Mama exchanged a brief look. Mama gave a noncommittal half-nod. Baba sighed, chewing on a chunk of fish. "Well, you already know that Mama and I couldn't have children, even if we had been allowed to. In fact, if I hadn't been the captain of The Lakshmi, we might not have been among the Voyagers. And maybe, if we hadn't been on the ship, your parents..." Baba sighed again. "Well, we did the best we could raising you, and you have been such a blessing in our lives, my dear." He smiled wistfully at Manasi, then clasped Mama's hand.

Manasi scowled at the sappy compliment. "Thanks, Baba. So, my parents, they're... gone. Why did you wait so long to tell me?"

"Eat your stew, child. After dinner, I have a gift for you."

The conversation turned towards more practical things; their houseboat had been drifting around the Saharan Swamp for the past few weeks, and Mama wanted to head further north. There had been fewer clouds lately, so the solar generator had more power than it typically did. Now was the best time to look for more Voyagers. After dinner, Manasi conspicuously walked back to the rug and sat with her legs crossed. Baba laughed softly. "You're ready for a gift already, then? Very well. Here, let me..." He pulled out a medium sized box reminiscent of a shoebox. As Manasi opened it, he began to explain.

"Some of the scientists in the military with me, they had learned that the composition of water had become completely different on a molecular level. They didn't know why or how it was even possible, but everything was thrown out of balance. Before the residents of The Lakshmi went our separate ways, the engineers were able to produce a handful of these diving suits." Manasi could see what he was talking about. It appeared to be a typical rubber wetsuit, but it had no breathing apparatus, as far as she could see. It was quite lightweight, too.

"Now, the scientists, they realized that the oxygen content was proportionally much higher than it had been. Additionally, other gases that we normally breathe in had somehow become bonded to the hydrogen diatom, forming a huge ring around it. And with that knowledge, they produced this."
He handed Manasi what appeared to be a modified gas mask, slimmer in design and with no face glass. "With this, I was able to dive hundreds of feet below the surface and salvage various supplies- enough to build this houseboat. I think Mama and I have worked long and hard enough. It's your turn, child."

Manasi looked up at Baba. She felt tears brimming in her eyes, but she didn't care. She rushed Baba with a powerful hug, holding tight for what felt like eternity.

"I... can find my parents. Baba, I don't know what to say..."

"You can start by saying thank you," he said with a stern voice and a pleased face.

"Thank you so much," Manasi whispered, trailing a hand across the wetsuit fabric.

"One more thing. We love you very much, and you're like a daughter to us, but as you've probably already put together, we aren't your grandparents."

"Of course not, Baba. You and Mama always wanted kids but never had any. I still love you both, and always have, and always will."

That night, it began to rain. Thoughts swirled through Manasi's head, driving away any chance of sleep. She sat up in her cot and decided to meditate, focusing on the steady percussion of raindrops.

Patapatapatapatapata...

She would need a way to get to India. Her grandparents wanted to go north. Could she sail all the way, or would she need a motor? Where would she even get one?

Patapatapatapatapata...

You can't answer these questions tonight
, she scolded herself. Focus on the rain, and forget everything else.

Patapatapatapatapata....
Patapatapatapatapata....

Manasi woke to Baba's weathered hand on her shoulder. "Time for breakfast, child. Today is a big day."

Manasi looked at him quizzically, still sleepy. He just shook his head, smiling. "Eat, then come outside."

When Manasi arrived on the deck, Baba was there holding the wetsuit and breathing apparatus, as well as a tablet. Pointing to the tablet, he explained, "this will navigate for you. Solar powered, and waterproof, of course. The wetsuit will alleviate some of the water pressure, allowing you to dive deeper, and you already know how the mask works. So put this on, and I'll show you what to do. Get in the water. The tablet has a flashlight- you'll need that to see. Good. Now, try to breathe with the mask. Yes! Now, dive as deep as you can."

Manasi followed this instruction hesitantly, starting slowly. At first she couldn't see anything but the silvery fish darting away from her, but then as she dived deeper she could see strange structures floating in the depths. With a start she realized it was trees. The tablet made a sharp noise, and text appeared on the screen. DEEPER, it read. Manasi rolled her eyes, then continued pushing herself downward. Eventually she reached a point where she could feel pressure even through the wetsuit, so she stopped. GOOD NOW LOOK, the tablet beeped. She looked around again. She could make out huge shadows underneath her, but the tablet light only illuminated what was right in front of her. Nothing moved down here. She looked up, and realized she couldn't see light from above. Was she that deep? DON'T PANIC BREATHE IN HOLD. She took a deep breath in, and held it as long as she could. Light slowly began to filter from above as she floated back up to the surface. She exhaled, then took another deep breath. Soon enough, she broke the surface and saw Baba smiling down at her.

"Well, what did you think?"

"It was quiet down there. And lonely."

"It wasn't always that way. The deep sea used to be teeming with life, but now anything that can live that far down there is microscopic. Manasi, if ever you do see anything moving down there, do not panic, do not rush for the surface. Hold your breath, and let your body float for you. Surfacing too quickly can cause sickness."

Manasi nodded, pulling herself up onto the deck of the houseboat. "So... I was wondering. Could I go to India?"

"How are you going to get all the way to India?"

Manasi frowned. "Well, I didn't want to ask-"

Baba interrupted. "Is she ready yet?" He yelled.

Manasi was confused for a moment, and then she heard a torrent of Indian curses coming from inside. Mama came out, lugging a solar motor behind her.

"This just needs to be attached to the hull, and she'll be ready, Baba."

Baba smiled at Manasi's astonished look. "We've had this old motor for far too long. I'm sure you can make better use of it than we can." He winked. "That motor should push you about 30 kilometers an hour. If you keep pressing forward while you still have daylight, you should make it to China in a week. There's still land there, barely. Tell anyone you're a Voyager and you should be taken care of. We've also packed food and your belongings- well, Mama has," he amended at a look from her.

For the second time in as many days, Manasi could feel tears in her eyes. "You know, I think I could stay just a few more days," she said. Baba smiled.

"We would love that very much. Every day we had you was a gift from Lakshmi. We love you very much."

Manasi smiled, looking east, shading her eyes from the rising sun.

"It'll be waiting for me. I'll miss you both, so much."

The pale sun continued to rise over a world with hope.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
With the poll closed, it looks like this month we have another tie! Congratulations to @twilitfalchion and @Terminus! And thank you to the others who submitted entries, I really enjoyed them all:

Entry 1: @twilitfalchion
Entry 2: @Chevywolf30
Entry 3: @MapelSerup
Entry 4: @Terminus

And once again, a round of applause to our anonymous writer, I hope this thematic writing is helping them to get back into a creative swing, and that pretty soon they will be fine entering the competition officially.

With that, I'll see you all in June, until then, stay chill, and eat skittles in healthy moderation! ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom