• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Writing Competition Round 31: Results

Which Entry is Your Favorite?

• Entry 1

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Entry 3

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Glares at calender

Welcome back to another round of the Writing Competition! This month we have a very spooky theme lined up as Halloween approaches. What frights might be in store to write about? This month's theme is: Gothic Horror

For further context, this type of fiction usually deals with the duality of life and death, but there are other common themes with these works such as haunted houses/castles, and romance. Some popular examples are Frankenstein by Merry Shelly, and the various short stories by Edgar Allen Poe. But don't feel like you are restricted to write a story set in a particular time frame, gothic horror can be applicable to modern urban settings and even set in the future, I suppose, so get creative!

Please send all submissions to me via PM by Wednesday, October 21st at 23:59 EST (GMT -4). Submissions via Discord DMs are not ideal, for future reference.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Voting

This month we have gotten 3 submissions that can be read below! The deadline for voting will be October 30th, 2020 at 23:59 EST (GMT -4), this way the winner will be announced on Halloween!

The dull ring of an ancient grandfather clock was the first thing I was conscious of as I came awake. The sound was pain in my mind; a great fog was descended there, impeding my feeble attempt at thought. With great reluctance I opened my eyes. The chair I had been sleeping in was very old and ornate, though not uncomfortable. The room was built of cold stone, attested by the damp chill in my bare feet. A roaring fire brought light to the room, yet none of the usual warmth. Across from me sat an old woman so ancient and adorned she might have passed for decoration. A cocoon of bright robes enveloped her, so tight I fancied wings might soon rupture. At first she did pass for furniture, and gave me some shock when she tilted her broken grin towards me. She sat perched on the edge of her seat, her greedy eyes shined as they devoured me.

“Excuse me Madam," I croaked, "but I can’t seem to remember who I am or how I came to be in this place.”

“Not to worry, my child. You had a little accident, that’s all.”

She laughed and revealed a marble in her palm. The fire's flames cast a Mars-like shine upon it as they flickered across its glass...

“You tripped on this silly thing and fell down the stairs, naughty child! You may call me Madame May.” Between us was a table, and as she spoke she dropped the marble into a carved bowl that lay there and drew out a different one.

“Here child, let us see if we can’t restore your memory.” Madame May pressed the marble in my hand and sat back, mouth stretched wide in her irrepressible grin.

“Go on now boy, it won’t bite! Eat it all up now.”

I looked down at the little Mars in my hand. A pink-red core glowed beneath its flaming shell. For a moment I made to refuse, to mention glass did bite, actually. But gazing dazzled into its hypnotic glow, feelings of home so overcame me that I swallowed it without complaint. Astonishingly, it disintegrated almost at once, and fiery warmth blossomed in my chest. A young woman appeared in my mind, smiling and laughing. An entire whirlwind of people and places assailed me, days and nights and months and years all I saw in the space of an instant.

I awoke again in the chair. The great fire seemed to be dimmer now, and Madame May brighter, though what I gleaned of the chamber I gleaned through great glare. The visions made to sink me in their sea, the roar of a thousand voices made to drown my ears... Not a drop remained for more to enter...

“That woman you saw was named Marcia, and many years ago she was young and free.”

As she spoke so sifted the visions, all save the young woman's apparition. A small peace had fallen on Madame May’s face, her hungry eyes were closed, a sigh passed her lips. Valiantly I fought to clear the fog from my eyes, but to no effect. I floated as flotsam gasping in the vision’s inevitable current, glimpsing the surface but powerless to breach...

“Marcia was a child of the trees, from childhood she shunned the town to roam the leaves till nightfall would steal her home. One day she fell ill as she wandered the brook alone. A wood spirit it was that, tracing her path, came upon and healed her. The two quickly grew fond of one another. The wood spirit looked very much a young woman herself, excepting her gossamer wings, which only charmed Marcia the more. Each enjoyed the other's differences, as neither felt at home among her own kind.”

More images burst into my mind as the old woman talked. I was there as Marcia and her friend ran through the trees, heard their whispers as they told each other secrets, but most of all I felt the bitter cold that clenched my soul after the flight of the marble's heat. Why did the fire not warm...?

“Pardon me Madame May, but could I have another marble?” I was drenched in sweat and shaking, yet speaking came easily even as breath failed me.

Madame May’s lips curled into her toothiest smile yet as she assured me I was free to help myself. The next one burst into my mind the image of another girl, strikingly similar in appearance to Marcia. Perhaps the old woman had forgotten which of these houses my memory, but then, whose memories were these...? Why did they affect me so powerfully? Strange impressions came, I felt in the distance someone calling to me, calling my name... what was my name?

“For years they would meet in the forest and spend the day together. One day when Marcia was in full bloom, she told the wood spirit that she was to be married, and would not be able to come so often. The wood spirit begged her to stay, to reject her civilization and her humanity to dwell amongst the trees, but Marcia had grown to desire a life beyond the old oaks she had spent her life beneath.”

Madame May paused a moment to take breath, staring into the past. I was staring into that same past, reliving each moment she spoke of, while lives of still more people invaded my consciousness with each marble I consumed. The strain was immense, the full lives and memories crowded and swarmed against the aching walls of my skull. They were screaming, screaming for me to stop, but I could not. The heat was life, the cold was death, and suddenly I was aware that hardly any fire remained, and that Madame May must have lost twenty years since I had noticed her last!

“The wood spirit despaired at her friend’s departure, and sat alone at the little pond that had been there meeting place. She waited there every day for almost two years before Marcia returned. She was in anguish, sobbing as she told her friend that she was unable to have children, that her husband despised her for it. Marcia begged, pleaded, and cried all the more as she asked her dear friend if there was anything that could be done. The wood spirit was overjoyed to see her, but filled with sadness and jealousy that she had abandoned her and only returned to her in desperate need. She longed to tell her that nothing could be done, that she would have to be miserable just as the wood spirit had been miserable without her, but her heart was moved by pity for her dearest friend, and she hoped perhaps if she did this deed Marcia might be so glad that she renounce her wicked husband and stay. So the wood spirit went away to her secret place and took a tiny orb from the circle where it lay. She explained to Marcia that this orb was a small piece of her power, and that if she swallowed it, she would bear a child. Marcia threw her arms around her friend and thanked her until she had spent all breath and tears. The great relief overwhelmed her, and she fell asleep there by the bank of their little pond.”

Madame May drifted like she might fall asleep herself, and I again marveled at how young she had become. Her hair was now a rich dark brown, and her face had blossomed into something high and regal. There remained but one marble, and I planned to preserve it as long as I could bear. These were not my memories, of that I was sure, but still they belonged to me. They were all calling me now, begging me to stop, to go, to flee! But as I made to rise I found my legs had frozen to immobility. The fire was naught but embers, and I was suddenly terrified of interrupting Madame May to complain of chill.

“Marcia’s heart became a different heart that day. You’d think child, that that would have been enough, wouldn’t you? But it wasn’t. I know you can see it in your mind’s eye, the greed of that snake!”

I did see it, I saw it all, but my mind was in a thousand strange places, watching a thousand strange scenes. The other marbles too had all been children. Two boys and a girl, in addition to the other younger girl. Their lives had been shorter, or so it seemed by the lesser space they carved out of his mind. I felt I might die of cold, and took the final marble.

“Marcia was only able to have one child, and one wasn’t good enough. She came back to the forest, stalked the wood spirit to the secret place, and stole all but one of the orbs!”

The roar of Madame May’s voice shocked me still. Time's erosion had completely fled, leaving a furious young woman dimly lighted by the dying fire. The waterfall of memories ceased. The voices were mute.

“She took everything from me! How DARE she! How could she?! She was everything to me!

The fire was no more, all of it having fled into Madame May, who radiated a smoldering aura in its stead. Her cocoon fulfilled its threat of bursting and tore, revealing two large butterfly wings.

“She left me there to die! But she forgot one, and by that one, I lived. By that one, she died. And now, finally, so her all her children! My children! Do you see it now boy? Do you see how I killed them? Tainted wretches!”

I did see. I could see nothing else. She had toyed with them, taunted them, and finally murdered them… all to torture their mother. And she wasn't finished. Weeping filled my ears. There was no cold anymore. There was sea, and me at its floor.

“And finally, you boy, are the last! Are you not cold boy? Is there not a chill? Perhaps you’d like another life force to keep warm? You didn’t think Marcia’s children had real hearts did you? No. What they had was my life force, and I dug it back out of their corpses!”

Her words struck me out of my paralysis, my body overtaken with shivering as I realized what she had done, what I had done, and what she was still to do. The dying screams of my siblings pierced my soul even as the sight their gruesome bodies suffocated my breath, but they weren’t dead, they were still living in me. They whispered to me it was all right. And as I looked up and saw May reaching for my heart, I felt warm.

Undying Souls
"I'm not insane! Seriously man, you don't understand! You all need to leave or something terrible is going to happen! Please, please believe me…" a man sobs.

"Try to calm down Mr. Peterson, there is nothing to worry about. I assure you that we are all perfectly safe." a doctor responds in a soft tone.

"No, you're wrong, you've got to believe me. Somebody has to believe me!" Mr. Peterson desperately pleads. Just then, the door to the padded room opens.

A tall man wearing a grey business suit walks in. "I'll take this from here, Doctor." he insists. The Doctor leaves, and the man sits down in the Doctor's place.

"Mr. Peterson, my name is Harry Grant, I am a Professor of Psychology and History at Cambridge University, specializing in Ancient Occultism."

The room is silent. Professor Grant can tell Mr. Peterson is in contemplation, so in the meantime the Professor looks at his Holographic Laptop, or HL, pulling up the file he was sent days ago of Mr. Peterson's diagnoses: Clinical Vampirism. In the year 2412, such cases have been unheard of for centuries, so any academic would drop any prior commitments to be in Harry's position. After skimming the files, he begins to take notes:

Subject's full name is Stephen Peterson, a 26 year old male, about 5"10. He has black hair, green eyes, and is surprisingly tan, indicating his current psychological state is recent. It's also noteworthy that according to his last medical records from 3 months ago, he was at a healthy weight of 180 pounds. Currently he is at 167. Naturally he hasn't substantially eaten, likely because of his obsession to drink human blood which has formed quite unexpectedly. What circumstances led this once normal man to the brink of madness? Hopefully I will find out.

A few minutes pass, and Stephen finally breaks his silence, "Why are you here, to study me, or tell me I'm insane, and that I need therapy like the Doctors do?" he says with a displeased tone.

"I'm simply here to listen, and I don't think you are insane." Professor Grant responds sincerely.

"So you mean to tell me you might believe me?" Stephen replies in doubt.

"I believe so, if you tell me your story." Professor Grant insists, pressing record on his HL to capture audio in the hopes that Stephen would comply.

"My story… It began two months ago, in Paris, France. It was a chilly autumn day, the sky was overcast and drab, but for me even the sunniest days held no joy or beauty anymore." Stephen recollected.

"You were depressed?" Professor Grant asks.

"Yes, for quite some time." Stephen replied. "Although I had become successful and wealthy, things were always boring. I tried spending my money recklessly, but it would accumulate interest faster than I could spend it. So then I turned to experimentation, first sexual, then I began using drugs. In the end, none of it changed the way I was feeling – and all I wanted was to feel something. In my attempts to feel anything I delved into the arcane beliefs of the past, seeking out modern practitioners who might be able to thrill me with the supernatural. As you should know, occultism waned very long ago, so I fully expected to find no one; and if I did, leave disappointed by their hoax. I almost gave up, but in the last week that I was still checking for replies on the old websites, I was contacted by a woman who claimed she was a five thousand year old vampire; the last of her kind. She wanted to meet me, and I agreed to do so…"

I met her at a hotel along that ancient river Seine, she said her name was Jessica. When I entered her room and examined her, she looked normal. Her hair was blonde, she had green eyes, pale skin, but not abnormally so. She looked like she was 24, her height was about 5"2. Nothing about her made me suspect she might be a vampire, she wore normal clothing, her room had nothing out of the ordinary, and when she smiled at me, her canines were not abnormally sharp. Rather than leaving then, I decided to at least let her speak.

"My appearance surprises you?" she asked.

"Well, no. I didn't really think it'd turn out to be true." I responded

She walked closer to me, and ran her finger sensually down my chest. To be honest, I found her very attractive, although I didn't believe her claim. She stripped me of my clothes, and I did the same to her. She pushed me onto the bed, and we began to make love, but it didn’t last long. In the midst of the pleasure, I felt a sharp pain on the left side of my neck.

“You... bit me?” I said in disbelief, as I pushed her off me.

“You are the first man in thousands of years who has sought me. Your entire life you have felt alone, devoid of emotion, but here tonight you felt your soul stir for me. You may not believe me now, but trust in what you felt, and you shall see the truth. When you have lived as long as I, you begin to understand that life is but a cycle. When a person dies, they are reincarnated, sometimes hundreds, even thousands of years later – it is inevitable. Just as life is reincarnated, another truth is that there are people who are meant to love each other for all eternity; but cruelly, they are deprived from ever meeting again to find true happiness. The odds of them being reincarnated at the same time is so low, it is a near impossibility." She told me. "We were meant to be together, Stephen. Your name was once Aldwin, and mine Eva. Two years after our marriage, you were fatally wounded in battle, but you did not die. You were once a member of the Scholomance, and used your knowledge of the dark arts to gain immortality, but at a cost: to sustain your immortal life, you had to take life by consuming blood. For a time all was well, but I aged and you did not. You tried to find a way to give me immortality without the consequences, but the answer eluded you. Meanwhile, your bloodlust increased, at first you were able to feast on the blood of animals, but the blood of humans proved too much of a temptation. The villagers attacked our home, suspecting the strange deaths were your doing. They killed me, and even your powers could not revive me. Five thousand years later, you discovered my reincarnation, you turned me, and then reawakened my memories of my past life with you. Tragedy struck again, however. You accumulated enemies, and they killed you. But I survived, and now we are reunited again!" Jessica recollected, sincerely holding me. Despite her story, which she seemed to truly believe, I didn't believe it. I put on my clothes and left the hotel, retiring to one of my estates in the 16th arrondissement. I tended to the area on my neck that she bit me, and then rested.

I went back to America shortly after. I tried to forget the events of that day, I was not bitten by a vampire, Jessica was merely a crazed woman obsessed with the past, I thought. But as hard as I tried to push away any doubts, I began to feel an unsettling feeling looming over me with each passing day. I began to notice that I would eat but still feel hungry. I could go out during the day, but my schedule began to shift to a more nocturnal pattern, and this felt more comforting somehow. I reasoned these were coincidences; I would not accept the notion that I was really turning into a vampire. However, I began to feel an intense craving for blood that could not be remedied. I knew if I succumbed to the bloodlust, the transformation would be complete, and that is why I sought help.

"And that led you here?" Professor Grant replied.

"Well at first, I tried finding any information I could suggesting that the transformation could be reversed. All I found was there is a way to prolong the transformation by not drinking blood." Stephen said depressingly.

"So overall: you are a pseudo-vampire who opted to restrain yourself in a physciatric ward to prevent the inevitable?" Professor Grant asks.

"I'd hoped there would be someone who would believe me and search for a way to help me, whatever that answer might be!" Stephen lashed out in anger.

"You never considered the consequences of the danger of your morbid curiosity? What made you go to France if it wasn't simply for the very thrill that you claim occurred? And why not just accept your fate?" Professor Grant pried further.

"Why did I run?" Stephen responds in a deep tone, his muscles tensing and his face becoming red. "I was afraid, scared of what I would become, because there is some part of me that desperately wants it" He maniacally answers.

"And you want everyone to leave because you believe it's only a matter of time before you escape this room?" The Professor inquires.

"Yes." Stephen replies while in a fit.

"My professional advice: give in. You obviously don't believe that these restraints will hold you forever. And nobody here will believe your tale. The sooner you accept your fate, the easier things will be." Professor Grant instigates while turning off his HL. He calmly gets up from the seat, and leaves the room where Stephen is struggling, as if he is having an internal battle – his humanity fighting the call for undead immortality.

Outside the room Harry finds a few of the doctors. "That guy sure is crazy, huh?" one of them jokingly says, and the other doctors laugh.

"You have no idea." Harry says with a smile, walking to the elevator at the end of the hall. He rides it down to ground level, and walks out of the ward out into the brisky street. There he walks by a woman with a lab coat who touches his shoulder, he falters a bit in his steps, but swiftly regains his balance. He looks around in a confused daze.

"Where… am I?" Henry mutters. He looks at the building behind him and realizes his location. "Strange, I don't recall coming to Gracie Square Hospital.” He thinks to himself. As he makes his way to his nearby hovercraft, the woman on the street looks at the hospital with a smile.

Twas a dark and stormy Halloween night. I had just woken up from a long nap, and there he was standing over me in a unicorn onezie and holding a carrot in a threatening position: Shia LaBeouf.

Before I knew it, I was bleeding out of my left earlobe. He had stabbed me with the carrot. I hadn't even gotten to go trick or treating.

It was horrifying.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Voting has ended, please give a round of applause for this month's winner: @funnier6!

Entry 1: Funnier
Entry 2: Spiritual Mask Salesman
Entry 3: Mellow Ezlo

For those of you who voted, thank you. Tristan, Shia Lebouf stabbing you in a unicorn onsie is pretty scary; so thanks for the last minute entry, even if it didn't fit the theme, lol.

I hope to get more entries next time in this year's final competition for the month of December. Until then, stay chill, and eat Skittles in healthy moderation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom