• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Writing Competition Round 20 - Voting

Which entry was your favorite?

• Entry #1

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Entry #2

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received two entries this time around. You can find them in the spoiler tag below. Be sure to vote for your favorite in the poll above.

Entry #1

Saturday evening was like it always was: Just James and Dylan together on the couch eating pizza and playing James’ favorite video game. They sat on James’ old worn couch, used so often and so heavily by the gamers.

It was a strategy game they were playing. A military strategy game similar to that of Risk. In the game, the players would have to use their resources well to protect cities. It was a very popular game, but Dylan wasn’t a huge fan. He played because he knew James loved the game with all of his heart.

When their match ended, and their pizza was eaten, Dylan left James’ basement to go home. James didn’t even watch Dylan leave. He just sat there on the worn old couch, continuing to play his favorite game as Dylan left quietly, but not unannounced.

After many months of the same game, and many months of school, Spring finally came. One month closer to Summer, where James could play all of the video games he ever desired. It was a normal day in class. James finished up his History class, and Dylan finished up his Philosophy class.

The two exited their classrooms into the large main hallway of their school when they were both greeted with a surprise: A man was pointing a gun at a small group of students. James just so happened to notice this as he was walking into the small group. Only four, including himself.

The man started to yell:

“Everyone!... Stop moving!... You are making me want to use this on you!...” He was clearly shaking with uncertainty. The man knew he was in too deep. His hand steadied, and his mind leveled. “I want you all to know that Jesus is not coming.”

He shot at the floor. Everyone jumped and let out surprised little shrieks. James noticed Dylan staring straight at him. His eyes were filled with fear, but his body looked ready for action.

Dylan looked down at his feet for a moment, and ran at the man. James’ eyes were as wide as his mouth was open. As the man turned around, James too, ran at the man. He knew this strategy.

The man fired at Dylan. James tackled the man. All three hit the floor. James grabbed the gun, and stepped back towards the three other students, with his eyes filled with tears. His hands shook just like the man’s hands were when he held the gun. Dylan lay on the floor, alive, but not at all well.

“I guess it was just me Jesus wasn’t coming for…” the man said.

The halls were filled with the sounds of police sirens. Soon, the halls were also filled with the sounds of police, handcuffs, and a dying friend.

“The ambulance is going to be too late,” James whispered to himself. He threw down the gun and approached his friend.

“Ya know, I did it for you… I always have…” Dylan said.

Dylan selflessly saved the lives of four in exchange for his own life. He died from blood loss as the ambulance arrived.

Years later, in the very same philosophy class Dylan was taking before he died, there is a plaque asking the very question Dylan answered with his life.

Entry #2

I used to run through the fields and woods of my home where I'd play, and throw cares away. Infinitely blessed, I'd breath the cool air into my chest, I loved without a question. And now with time, I've finally made up my mind now it's time to bring down the sky!

Abandon hope like you abandoned me, run to the swamp, mountain, canyon, and sea! You hate me now, I see it in your eyes, your disguise, can't hide your hate from me.

Remember the day when the four of you and I touched the clouds from the peak of the mountain? The time you showed me the beautiful creatures of light who reside in the fairy fountains? We were so full of life and love and peace, how could you leave?!

Abandon hope like you abandoned me, run to the swamp, mountain, canyon, and sea! I hate you now, so burn in all your lies, realize, I won't let you hurt me.

Hollow,
My empty heart will not
Follow,
The backs you turned and I'll
Wallow,
Despair's a hard pill to
Swallow.

You may find yourself trapped in a body much younger than yours, or shattered to pieces. You may be waiting for spring to return to the world that you know, and thaw out your species. And as your foul treatment of me you recall, you're witnessing moonfall!

Abandon hope like you abandoned me, run to swamp, mountain, canyon, and sea! Let the wrath of my will invade your final hour, let my power, be the final light you see!

Abandon your word like you abandoned your friend, ignore the one who you swore to defend! You broke your oath the day you broke me inside, that was the day, the day Termina died.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Both prices were really great, I voted for entry one because it was really touching and moved me especially with the recent school shootings. It also reminded me just how fragile life is and that it should be cherished. Good job to both writers and hopefully someone else votes because I seemed to have tied it up :)

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I would like to say great job to the other participant. Your entry was great and I especially loved the poem and how it is related to Zelda.

Great Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom