• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Writing Competition Round 16 - Voting

Which entry was your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome to the voting stage of the 16th round of the Writing Competition! This round was a parameter round in which participants had to include five of the ten parameters provided. I received three entries this time around. You can find them in the spoiler tag below. Feel free to read the entries and vote on your favorite. Good luck to all those who entered!

Entry #1:

"Remember pomemon? Remember Vulpix? Remember Kanto?"
"Oh yeah I member!"
"Remember bugs life? Remember Ant-Z? Remember bee movie?"
"I member! I member!"
The Member berries hop into a book store.
"Remember Mark Twain? Remember Shakespeare? Remember Dr. Seuss?"
"Oooooooo I member!"
"Remember George R. R. Martin? Remember Game of Thrones? Remember winter is coming?"
"Yeah I member!"
"Remember feeling safe? Remember Reagan? Remember no ISIS?"
"Yeah Yeah. I member!"

Entry #2:

White light sifted down through the clouds casting a pallid glow on the ground. The browning grass crunched underfoot. The trees were barren. Clear signs that winter was coming. A figure stepped out from inside a house and set off, going about his business for that day. He wore a dark coat, long and reminiscent of a detective’s cloak. He sported dark hair that although it was bound in the back, had a smooth length of it sticking out in the front. His skin contrasted with his hair in a pale white color. His boots left no impression in the frozen dirt. He walked down an alleyway and knocked on a door. It opened slightly and a voice came from inside,

“Password?”

The man replied with an Eastern-sounding accent,

“Dragons.”

The door opened and he entered removing his coat. Underneath he wore traditional Japanese warrior’s robes of white and orange. They had armored pads over the shoulders. He carried a bow and a quiver of arrows. He walked with purpose and confidence. The people inside were dressed in black and were all Japanese. At the end of a long corridor, he was greeted by an older man with grey hair and tunic. The young warrior bowed before him and the older man gestured for him to rise.

“What news do you bring to me, Hanzo?” The man said with authority, “What news do you have of your brother?” Hanzo rose.

“Genji will not listen to reason. He goes about saying he is for the Shimada clan, but we all know how deceitful he can be. Father, let me set him straight so he can help me rule the clan after you are gone.”

His father furrowed his brow in thought and then replied with cold, almost inhuman words that Hanzo would never forget.

“Try to bring your brother back into the Shimada clan, but if you cannot, kill him.” Hanzo was shocked by these words, but he had to obey.

“As you wish, Father.”

Hanzo trudged out like an angry storm, pushing past anyone who was in his way. He wished to straighten out his brother, not kill him. But he must obey his father.

Genji silently opened the old wooden door. His presence was made known by the jingling of a copper bell. An old woman looked up from behind a desk.

“Hello! All books on the lower shelves are 30% off!”

Genji nodded and browsed the book cases. He was tall and strong. His robes were similar to those of his brother, but with less armor. He had light green hair that he was spiked like needles. Instead of a bow, Genji carried a long katana and a shorter sword for combat in confined spaces. He finally found the book he was looking for: “The Legend of Two Dragons.” His mother used to read it to him as a child. It told of two dragons who were brothers. One day, they got into a fight and the elder brother killed his younger brother. However, his brother was not completely dead, and years later he came back and he forgave his brother. The two set out to rebuild what they had destroyed. Genji thought of this story when he felt alone because it reminded him of his mother. He started to walk out with it, hoping the owner would not notice.

“That will be 35 Yen” scolded the old lady, “You know better Genji.”

Genji stopped, red faced, and turned toward her giving a nervous, embarrassed chuckle. “Um, you’re right of course. I apologize.”

Head down in the embarrassment of getting caught, Genji paid the money and started toward his apartment. On his way home, he notices a group of thugs wearing hats that look like skulls over their dyed blue hair. Genji pays them no mind; he is a Shimada and has been trained in the Dragon arts. He could quickly take on a few amateur thugs. Around the corner, he encountered an obstacle that was not so easy to overcome. His brother Hanzo, who was likely sent by his father to bring him home, stops just within earshot. As Hanzo stood before him with his arms crossed, he spoke,

“Genji, you cannot have it both ways. Join the Shimada clan and Father will still receive you.”

Genji had heard this before. He knew what would happen next. If Genji did not agree, Hanzo would attempt to take him by force. Unfortunately, Genji did not know what lethal ends to which his brother was ordered to go.

“Make your choice, Brother,” Hanzo says, fearing that Genji would not listen to reason. “This is your last warning Genji.”

Genji thought about his options, but he knew already that he could not go back to the Shimada clan. He had promised himself that he would use his training to protect people, not hurt them. With that goal in mind, he had recently joined Overwatch, which was the elite crime fighting team which included some of the greatest scientists, sharpshooters, and warriors in the world. They were all fighting for good and he felt peace for the first time. He lowered his head and spoke.

“I will not go back to the Shimada clan,” he said severely.

Hanzo’s heart fell, and as that happened, his warrior instincts kicked in.

“Forgive me brother, I do not do this of my own will,” Hanzo said. Nocking an arrow and pulling back, he then recited the summoning of the Spirit Dragons. “Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!”

He let the arrow fly, but it was soon shattered by the dragons he had released. The twin blue dragons spiraled towards Genji. In a split second, Genji attempted to dodge out of the way but it was too late. The dragons connected with the young warrior and threw him back with the force of 100 men. He hit a wall, it cracked under the force of the impact, and slumped to the ground, marred and torn. Hanzo sighed and a lone tear rolled down his cheek.

“Forgive me…”

Hanzo stood in the street, the quiet seemed to be judging him for what he had done. The first snowflakes danced down from the sky and quietly landed in his hair. He turned and walked away, leaving the body of his brother wilted on the dirt road.

“It is done,” Hanzo said to his father. “My brother is dead.”

His father looked at him and smiled. “You have done well my son; now you have earned my place as leader of the Shimada clan.” He gave a signal and a servant presents the Shimada warrior’s tunic, robes only worn by the most elite warriors in the clan. Hanzo was pleased that he had won his father’s favor, but he would always regret the lengths he had gone to to earn it.

THE END

Entry #3:

His was not your world. Darkness fell only once in a generation in the place he lived, sunlight dominated his experiences. The life he lived was made up of unlimited possibilities culminating in an experience which was both preceded by and followed by another. Each instance was an opportunity to engage in something new and thrilling, brilliant and fascinating. Within this life-long progression, each new moment brought with it the exciting prospect of something never before imagined, an infinity of the unknown. The aspect of a life lived in this way left no room for remorse, guilt, or apathy. He lived life in the present and found it to be a blessing.

His kind had no names. To affix an arbitrary title to one individual or another was anathema as each was as to another. To his ilk, experience was shared, not for a single specimen to claim for one's self but to include each of his kind in each of his exploits. This paradigm had the added benefit of making belongings superfluous. Things were not kept, owned, or exchanged; they simply were. Claims to objects, thoughts, and experiences were not made, as tomorrow, they would be gone. What one did possess was merely a passing reference to one's self to indicate point of view, and he used the pronoun, "he" for himself.

The light crept across the sky as his life progressed, nearing its zenith on the eve of his coming of age. Those who had gone on before him had imparted their knowledge to him, telling that this radiance would roll across the firmament to the edge of the earth and eventually, they had been told by their fore bearers, would drive itself directly into the mountain where it would incinerate the very ceiling of the earth before dying out, giving way to a generation born into sheer darkness. In the dying hours of those born into the dark, a new burning brightness would drive up through the plains cast light upon the world.

The sprawl of existence was dotted sporadically by great expanses of water which were said to house the unborn souls of those who would inhabit the earth at a future time. Pools of water rippled across the known world, stretching in some places beyond the limits of the universe; Quagmire, these spirit worlds were called. Deep within these pools were said to writhe the spirits of the yet-to-be, patiently awaiting their opportunity to experience. He knew that once, his soul had too inhabited the queer depths of the Quagmire but what had been a divine womb was now cut off from him, both in memory and in flesh, for he could no longer tread in these places. But it was not upon him to question such things in any case.

What did fascinate him were the tales of the Old Ones. Mighty beings of eldritch power, gods among the living. Buried under the world beyond the reach of light or shadow, hidden from time, they were said to slumber throughout the eons, gathering to themselves power and might. Eternal was their breadth of longevity, unknowable were the leagues of their wisdom, unattainable the depths of their ferocity. Passed down for a thousand upon a thousand generations, the myth of the Old Ones held true as the only collective memory of his kind that had prevailed throughout the ages. And it was said that their time would arise once again. Legend told that it would be they who thrummed an ancient song as epochs passed, as generations overtook generations. It would be they who would lift to the heavens on gossamer wings, outstripping the mightiest efforts of his people, soaring through celestial realms of chaos to the brilliant light. Tales they were, alone prevailing through the ages, the omnipotent, omniscient, everlasting ancients.

His imaginings of these deity had been fulfilled in his late hour. Youth had taken its leave of him and as the jaws of age had clamped firmly about him, he longed for experiences of a different nature. Another had shared with him of the awakening of the Old Ones. The legends warned of a great time of frigid darkness, an era when even the times of light would be dim and its warmth would refuse to touch his kind. Plants would shrivel and the ground would cease to bear sustenance. Even the expanses of the Quagmire would solidify, trapping a million, million souls within its confines. It had been three hundred generations since the last ice age and another was predicted to begin within his lifetime. You may question why those consumed with the present would pass on a story for a thousand upon a thousand lifetimes. The answer should surely become clear when you realize that the gods of his tribe have returned.

Upon the arrival of the epoch of Bitter Chill, there was prophesied the emergence of the Old Ones. Sweet and low came the hum, gentle and quiet. Then it came roaring like a tyrant, fierce and majestic, shaking him to his deepest being, demanding obeisance. It echoed throughout the realm, shaking the very pillars of the earth, it elicited terror and rent sanity. The impossible cacophony shattered even the Quagmire, unleashing untold hordes of the yet-to-be upon creation. It penetrated to his core and loosed a torrent of horror and dismay deep within the recesses of his psyche. Then shadows fell across the plains.

Even the dim light was cast from his sight when the Old Ones emerged and took to the sky. They thundered through the heavens by the ten thousand, casting unearthly shadow across the land. His kind flew in terror as the apocalypse which was foretold descended upon them, consuming all in their path, wreaking devastation. They rained down from the celestial realms in spades and blackened the world as they fed. He witnessed the insatiability of their ravenous craving. He witnessed their towering stature and their monstrous strength. Five eyes atop an swiveling head surveyed their domain and four jaws shred every living thing in their proximity. Arms sporting evil-looking spines reaped their rightful bounty and impregnable armor covered every inch of their bodies. He cowered in fear before the fiendish and malevolent behemoths, the Old Ones. In just one day, the earth was raped of light and life, spoiled for eternity. The Old Ones had returned.

As he lay petrified before the onslaught, one mighty being took notice of him. His frail form quivering in reverence and awe, he could do naught but stammer in broken syllables, his mind devolved in utter fear. His stuttering query bled from his throat like ichor dripping through an hourglass, “Is the world undone?” He fell aback for the final time as the bellowing reply came deep from within the god-beast before him, his legs failing to lift him trapped him in this final place of rest. The guttural response came more gently than he could fathom yet more powerful than he could comprehend. “Child,” The Old One spoke, “this is but a single day.”

And at the end of that day, as the ancients took their leave, he looked far back to morning. The morning when he was youthful and erupting with vitality and promise, experiencing each instance to the fullest, his wings glistening with dew and all of his legs full of power. Every moment bursting with potential and hope and each moment a new adventure. He saw midday, when his life waxed and the afternoon sun was swallowed up by rain clouds as they ushered in the winter. And with the winter came too the Old Ones. The Old Ones who saw not the significance of his span of life, one day though it was. The Old Ones who lay waste to the world in his twilight and gleaned for themselves the harvest which grew throughout the generations, thrumming their eternal song over the earth. And against his newest and final fear, he asks you as his light fades, “Is the life of the mayfly less worthy than the life of the cicada?”

Get ready, cause I'm gonna sound like a dick. But I really did enjoy it all. So please don't hate me:D

#1: I kind of see what you're going for here-- trying to draw the reader in to a place of comfort, of elusive bliss, and then confronting them with the grave underpinnings of that bliss, revealing to them a broader world. It's fascinating, and stark, which you were possibly going for-- but there were more artful ways to develop it. Try to approach the same subject through a lens of irony, and try, when you write this or any other poetry, to let your mind flow free during drafting-- structure and poignancy will naturally come later, in revision.

#2: It was an interesting concept, but you're trying to condense too complex a temporal and emotional landscape into a short story of maybe a thousand words. It's not impossible, but without pacing yourself, you'll reach your climax too soon, with little underpinning to your themes or your characters.

Two ways you could keep the same word count and pack more of a punch: One, focus on one specific point in your story. You incorporated three scenes-- try to choose only one, and fully develop it. Delve into the character nuances of your protagonist, the father, and the brother; develop the setting and, through imagery, irony, etc, relate it to your themes. Your style, and your inclusion of small, poignant details, is really well suited to this approach. And try to structure this scene so that it develops properly, reaches a clear climax (not necessarily an external one), etc.

The second way would be to distance yourself from the characters, as though you're writing a book in the Bible-- a narration. Keep it stark, brutal and remorseless, damaging, cold.

#3: Yeah no, this is pretty good. Your pace of voice is excellent, your narration is tantalizingly impersonal, you're very descriptive-- the main criticism I'd have is that you're lacking a sense of place. You use a lot of long Latin words, which seem impressive but tend to come off as empty-- they lack drive, grit,weight, personality. I had a hard time investing myself in the character and relating to the world, and because of this, there's no clear course of development. Try not to monologue so much-- it reads as an essay, while interjections such as dialogue, inner voice, etc would break up and ground the work, giving it a sense of perspective.

But yeah, this one gets my vote.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Maybe this is rude of me and I apologize if the person in question really worked hard on his piece but piece #1 seems downright lazy. It's incredibly short, has poor sentence structure, typos, and does not appear to be revised at all. The only relevant part of the story is the last questions which are just confusing and muddled political statements. Unlike an Orwellian satire, there is nothing in the proceeding or following bits that adds anything to those 3 sentences. It does not strengthen your political points (which bringing up Reagan, in my opinion, requires), and the intended shock value of it is not actually present because it doesn't reveal to me anything new or cause me to think and go "wow". More like, "Yeah, I guess." Overall I can't imagine the writer put much work into it and if they did, then the writer needs to really work on their writing. I suggest doing research on writing techniques particularly satire and irony if you want to write a piece like that.

If you are serious about improving I suggest you do really work on your skills and talk to users around the forums about how to improve before submitting next time. Make sure if you submit something it's something you are really proud of.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Maybe this is rude of me and I apologize if the person in question really worked hard on his piece but piece #1 seems downright lazy. It's incredibly short, has poor sentence structure, typos, and does not appear to be revised at all. The only relevant part of the story is the last questions which are just confusing and muddled political statements. Unlike an Orwellian satire, there is nothing in the proceeding or following bits that adds anything to those 3 sentences. It does not strengthen your political points (which bringing up Reagan, in my opinion, requires), and the intended shock value of it is not actually present because it doesn't reveal to me anything new or cause me to think and go "wow". More like, "Yeah, I guess." Overall I can't imagine the writer put much work into it and if they did, then the writer needs to really work on their writing. I suggest doing research on writing techniques particularly satire and irony if you want to write a piece like that.

If you are serious about improving I suggest you do really work on your skills and talk to users around the forums about how to improve before submitting next time. Make sure if you submit something it's something you are really proud of.
I was under the impression that anyone was invited to join in this competition, regardless of skill. Every writer started out with a lower level of skill than that with which they ended up. I'm grateful to all of the contestants who opened up their personal work to us. Constructive criticism is surely welcomed, I imagine, but that involves being willing to set yourself aside and comment for the benefit of the writer.

Jamie

I was under the impression that anyone was invited to join in this competition, regardless of skill. Every writer started out with a lower level of skill than that with which they ended up. I'm grateful to all of the contestants who opened up their personal work to us. Constructive criticism is surely welcomed, I imagine, but that involves being willing to set yourself aside and comment for the benefit of the writer.
I'm not sure how my criticism wasn't constructive. I pointed out numerous things that were wrong with the piece and how to improve it.

It has nothing to do with skill. If you see what I said, I clearly said you should submit something you're proud of. Seems like you just glossed over my entire post. I felt there was a lack of effort with that piece. Revision, research, writing standards, these are things any novice can accomplish with relative ease. I think that the writer did not put very much effort into his piece. As a writer myself that bothers me and I explained why I felt that way and provided constructive criticism. If you reread my post instead of assuming it's rude because I didn't compliment a piece I found to be poor, then so be it. Not all constructive criticism has to take positives too. But if I must, I will agree with the previous poster who said the concept was interesting.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I'm going to single myself out on this one, because reading it now I see how bad it is. I'm not proud of it. In fact how bad it is will serve as a reminder to myself that I should try to write at work, between customers again. I misread the deadline and thought I only has a couple hours to write something, which I tried to do but had to do it in between customers. In fact, that's why it's so short and the Reagan and ISIS stuff cane so quick. Originally I was basically going to write out my own south Park episode woth the boys going crazy about Sun and moon, while there would be this subplot of the member berries hoping around until they all ended up in the book store for a pikemon tournament. But I was worried about a deadline and barely got a chance to write.

So no, I didn't work hard on it, it was really lazy, it wasn't great writing, and could have been longer. In fact I'm surprised I even have a vote atm. Not only that but I got annoyed by the member berries in my head before I got to the rest of it. So I've learned my lesson, and I will likely have better submissions in the future, or I hope they are. This is not typical of my writing.

Oh. And "I member" isn't a typo. They don't say they "Remember" they say they "Member" and that's why they're called member berries. Interestingly though, they say remember when they're asking people if they remember something.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I'm not sure how my criticism wasn't constructive. I pointed out numerous things that were wrong with the piece and how to improve it.

It has nothing to do with skill. If you see what I said, I clearly said you should submit something you're proud of. Seems like you just glossed over my entire post. I felt there was a lack of effort with that piece. Revision, research, writing standards, these are things any novice can accomplish with relative ease. I think that the writer did not put very much effort into his piece. As a writer myself that bothers me and I explained why I felt that way and provided constructive criticism. If you reread my post instead of assuming it's rude because I didn't compliment a piece I found to be poor, then so be it. Not all constructive criticism has to take positives too. But if I must, I will agree with the previous poster who said the concept was interesting.
I don't want to cause any lasting animosity so I'll simply say that I respect your generous sacrifice of time taken to write a post that you selflessly hoped would truly make a positive impact on another writer's skill set. I too, am simply wishing Libk the best and intend only to support and encourage him in his writing which he made himself vulnerable enough to share with us. We're all on the same team here, sorry for any confusion about my intended purpose in responding the way I did.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I Only came forward to agree It's bad. And that Jamie is right. I guess HH is just saying to take it a little lighter on the poster, as someone else may have read what you said in a negative way. Especially since you started it out with "Maybe this is rude of me". I don't care. I take both negative and positive criticism, but some other people may be a bit more sensitive to your criticism.

Also, @Viewtiful Ken, let's not. I seriously did awful for this one.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Just gonna put my thoughts forward here. Libk's poem could have benefited from a profounder structure and stronger impact, but poems don't really need to be overly fancy compared to, say, a 1000 word short story. As long as there's a central theme and consistent pacing, that's generally all that a poem should possess to engage the reader.
#3: [...] You use a lot of long Latin words, which seem impressive but tend to come off as empty-- they lack drive, grit,weight, personality. [...]
Sorry to focus on this one snippet, but I disagree that the Latin words detracted from the overall charisma. The writer uses a lot of verbose terms because that's how people spoke back then. And based on the omnipresent form of storytelling, I'm assuming that the narrator isn't the main character, but one of the "Old Ones" who would obviously favor archaic speech.

But no, I didn't write the third entry; it just falls within my field of expertise.

Jamie

I'm going to single myself out on this one, because reading it now I see how bad it is. I'm not proud of it. In fact how bad it is will serve as a reminder to myself that I should try to write at work, between customers again. I misread the deadline and thought I only has a couple hours to write something, which I tried to do but had to do it in between customers. In fact, that's why it's so short and the Reagan and ISIS stuff cane so quick. Originally I was basically going to write out my own south Park episode woth the boys going crazy about Sun and moon, while there would be this subplot of the member berries hoping around until they all ended up in the book store for a pikemon tournament. But I was worried about a deadline and barely got a chance to write.

So no, I didn't work hard on it, it was really lazy, it wasn't great writing, and could have been longer. In fact I'm surprised I even have a vote atm. Not only that but I got annoyed by the member berries in my head before I got to the rest of it. So I've learned my lesson, and I will likely have better submissions in the future, or I hope they are. This is not typical of my writing.

Oh. And "I member" isn't a typo. They don't say they "Remember" they say they "Member" and that's why they're called member berries. Interestingly though, they say remember when they're asking people if they remember something.
I was referring to the "pomemon" typo.

I'm glad that you didn't take my criticism to heart. Obviously, it was nothing against you personally. I hope your next piece is great and you are proud of it, and I look forward to reading it. Good luck.

Misty

Ronin
1. I agree with a lot of the criticisms you've received so I won't restate them. However, to extend one compliment, it reminded me very much of nonsense poetry that I enjoy and that made it brighter to read. To extend a thought further, I also found your choice to move from more childish things to adult which culminates in the very political last line to be very well done. I wouldn't say you stuck the landing by any means, but you had the right idea and getting hold of a right idea is often difficult to do. It has merit, and if you can fire this sort of idea off between customers you shouldn't feel a need to hang your head or come forward. I would like to see what you do when you have time .

2. You do a lot of telling and almost no showing. This makes it rather difficult to invest or feel as if I'm reading so much as being lectured. If you're curious what I mean, look to your last line. This is not only where you tie it all up with a little bow and sparkles, but also the moment you're meant to be able to hang your hat on that leaves your audience I presume with something to take home.

Hanzo was pleased that he had won his father’s favor, but he would always regret the lengths he had gone to to earn it.

I mean this honestly, from start to finish with this line, I felt disconnected and bored, because none of them feel like living, breathing characters.

But how does one fix this? Instead of telling me he is proud, show me. Something like: As the servant bowed perceptibly lower and presented him with his new uniform, the thin lines of his eyes crinkled outward hiding the dark orbs within, his lips drew into a shaky grin, and his skin dirty with sweat suddenly seemed to glow at the sight of the clean and rich material in the servant's hands.

Why do I think my sentence works better? Well, because I've assumed intelligence on the part of the audience. A father is presenting a son with something he has always wanted, it would be rational to assume he is proud. But I haven't said it, I've shown it in his body. He grins, his eyes become larger, he glows and is flush, these are all signs that communicate pleasure and happiness universally. However, I've also purposefully left a somewhat darker undercurrent. His eyes are dark, is this because of their colour in the light or is this an emotional darkness brought on by the regret. His grin is shaky, not full on because of the lengths he goes to. His skin is dirty and sweaty from the fighting but for a sudden moment it is positive.

All that is left is for me to sink it home with something like: Slowly, his gaze lowered to the stain of blood on his shoulder and he picked at it for a moment before accepting the new garb. Lowered heads are a common sign of regret, and I don't have to say where the blood came from. Maybe it is from burying his brother. Maybe it is from fighting him. Maybe it is his own blood. Maybe it is the blood of someone else from past. Doesn't matter exactly, because it will recall the fight and imply through the other robe being clean that he is dirty with blood.

Stuff like this makes characters feel real and not like hand puppets or fanfiction and it is one of the hallmark rules of writing.

However, if I had to offer a positive, I could easily imagine almost everything you wrote because you were more or less given to clarity. Don't lose that.

#3. It's strange because while reading your piece, I found myself feeling both lulled into it and also feeling absolutely nothing. Which is to say, it flowed very much, but it didn't take me anywhere. That sort of flow is a very good thing when the journey is there...but I do not see that in this piece. It's a lot of statements that seem deeply unimportant to anything. I feel as if I could cross out five or six paragraphs without losing anything at all because it all seems so repetitive. I could be wrong, but I almost suspect you were disconnected while writing this piece. It almost reads like a dream even.

How to fix this is tougher...but I suppose I would say edit. If you read a sentence and don't see it as deeply important to the intricate web being woven. Entirely needed to get from point A to B, then it is probably best to cut it unless it is a truly beautiful and inspired tidbit. Kill your darlings even then. This piece needs darlings killed like a slaughterhouse.

Still, my goodness, that voice of flowing...that's rather great and don't lose that from cutting out the fat.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Hey, #3 here. I wanted to thank you all for your comments and thoughts, it's been fun and informative reading them and I know I've learned from the experience. Also, thank you to the other two writers who submitted pieces, they were great fun to read. People were largely positive about the submissions and I appreciate everybody who took the time to not only read these but to comment on them as well.

I wanted to apologize for not editing my piece. I ended up being crunched for time as I have a life outside of Zelda forums and I felt that the piece was a bit more expositional than I would have liked. I would say that you all deserve better editing out of me but hey, none of us are getting paid for this! Anyway, I know that my writing is often quite esoteric and this piece exemplifies that quality in my writing. However, although some of my works may be so esoteric as to be inaccessible, I'm probably not going to change too much. In entering this competition, my objective was to share, not "win" and as a piece of work not crafted to be all-inclusive, I'm actually quite proud of the premise. Granted, this is what amounts to a rough draft but with that being what I had time for, it was a success.

Now I've taken this piece to several people to gather opinions and feedback and I've realized that there's one factor that separates those who greatly affirm it and those who give it a mere pass. That dividing factor is the framing device. The last sentence of the story reveals the framing device of the piece, namely, that the main character is a mayfly and the Old Ones are cicadas. Those who failed to absorb this largely saw the story as a well written but vague story with nebulous meaning. Those who understood the framing device found it to be a lens which magnified the entire story, casting it in an entirely new light.

The literary conceit lies within this framing device. Once made privy to the nature of the main character and Old Ones, I intend for the reader to have a general entomological understanding. This, I believe, is where most readers will miss the subtlety of the deep conceit. Namely, that cicadas live for 13 or 17 years (depending on their species) before emerging from the ground and adult mayflies live for a mere day. I realize that it's asking too much of most reader to have a previous knowledge of this but I'm eager to take the blame for that as that is the esotericism I chose and I gladly accept that most casual readers will not find my deeper meanings within.

Armed with the understanding of the nature of the characters and their lifespans, one can see that the story is not, in fact, the prose as which it first appeared. No, in fact the piece's conceit is allegorical. The mayfly, at first, was presented as an abstract and unrelatable foreign concept. Then, just as the cicada (who had an entirely different perspective on life) saw the mayfly from its perspective, so the reader sees the mayfly and cicada from their perspective. Hopefully, through having seen the world in such an abstract way from the mayfly's perspective, we can see ourselves through his perspective and gain new understanding of the way our experiences dictate the way we perceive life.

Now just to address a couple of critiques...

You use a lot of long Latin words, which seem impressive but tend to come off as empty-- they lack drive, grit,weight, personality. I had a hard time investing myself in the character and relating to the world, and because of this, there's no clear course of development. Try not to monologue so much-- it reads as an essay, while interjections such as dialogue, inner voice, etc would break up and ground the work, giving it a sense of perspective.
I'm not entirely sure to what Latin words you are referring. Possibly "anathema"? However that is an English word, no matter that it comes from a Greek root. Either way, I didn't use any words in this piece that I haven't used in conversation (though some are rarely applicable). Also, the "monologue" as you call it is a by-product of too much poetic influence. I admire especially the works of Samuel Tailor Coleridge and his style of writing. Lovcraft also influences some of my language and temper. The lack of interjections of dialogue, inner voice, and parenthetical exposition was deliberate in an attempt to make the presentation as jarring as possible (to make the world seem that much more foreign). The development was somewhat odd and disjointed, certainly something that could be fixed in a fit of editing and redrafting, thank you for the input!

t's strange because while reading your piece, I found myself feeling both lulled into it and also feeling absolutely nothing. Which is to say, it flowed very much, but it didn't take me anywhere. That sort of flow is a very good thing when the journey is there...but I do not see that in this piece. It's a lot of statements that seem deeply unimportant to anything. I feel as if I could cross out five or six paragraphs without losing anything at all because it all seems so repetitive. I could be wrong, but I almost suspect you were disconnected while writing this piece. It almost reads like a dream even.

How to fix this is tougher...but I suppose I would say edit. If you read a sentence and don't see it as deeply important to the intricate web being woven. Entirely needed to get from point A to B, then it is probably best to cut it unless it is a truly beautiful and inspired tidbit. Kill your darlings even then. This piece needs darlings killed like a slaughterhouse.

Still, my goodness, that voice of flowing...that's rather great and don't lose that from cutting out the fat.
A detailed critique of the piece, I can tell you put thought and effort into this, and I'm very grateful. After reading what I've already written, I'm sure it's a bit more clear now but I'll tell you that crossing out five or six paragraphs would have demolished the world I was building and made the entirety of the mayfly reveal unimportant. The point was to construct a world to which the reader felt disconnected only to give the last sentence that much more meaning when the reader is made aware that the world is, in fact, their own. Those darlings you referred to...well, there's definitely some truth to that. Some details did need to be cut as they didn't have much effect in light of the reveal, but some details needed to added as well. I don't think the story needed to be pruned as much as it needed to be shaped, which again (my apologies) was due to my trying to get this finished up at the last second. And as far as "fixing" this piece goes...whew, that's harsh. It certainly wasn't a polished and mastered piece but I can't go so far as to say it was broken. Still, I'm glad you caught that disconnection, perhaps the next piece I write for the eyes of others will be a bit more straight forward and easy to digest, I may have lost the art of writing a simple narrative. We shall see.

Thanks for all the feedback, this was fun and everyone here seems to be so much more willing to get along than most places online (includingcertainother#1Zeldasitesiwontmentionanynames*cough*) and it makes this a comfortable setting in which people can share their writing skills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom