• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Smash tournament!

Which model?

• #1, Elim bracket

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • #2, One night of glory

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fig

The Altruist
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: When you sign up, you'll have to state which character you're using. (Using different alts is fine, using echoes is not) Are y'all ok with allowing multiple people to use the same character?

Unless there's a theme to the tournament, character locking upon sign-up is something you want to avoid. I don't care if people use the same character because that's going to happen in any fighting game. However the whole point for a tournament is to give the loser an advantage by counterpicking a character and/or stage for the next game.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Unless there's a theme to the tournament, character locking upon sign-up is something you want to avoid. I don't care if people use the same character because that's going to happen in any fighting game. However the whole point for a tournament is to give the loser an advantage by counterpicking a character and/or stage for the next game.
This is probably not a tournament for you

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I see what you're saying, but first off, why do you have to submit a single team for the Pokemon tournaments? And also, picking a character to counter whoever you're up against next seems kinda pointless because the other guy is gonna try to pick a character to counter you. I plan on doing these things for a long time, so I'll be open to trying different things, bit right now I'm liking the idea of character locks better for previously stated reasons.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I see what you're saying, but first off, why do you have to submit a single team for the Pokemon tournaments? And also, picking a character to counter whoever you're up against next seems kinda pointless because the other guy is gonna try to pick a character to counter you. I plan on doing these things for a long time, so I'll be open to trying different things, bit right now I'm liking the idea of character locks better for previously stated reasons.
Pokémon teams are built to be well-rounded. There are a lot more variables that the player gets to control every aspect of . In addition to the obvious 6 different Pokémon out of 1000, there are IVs, EVs, moves, abilities, natures, and held items.

With smash, the only choice the player has when going into a match is whether they want to keep their character and play to his/her strengths an weaknesses, or choose a different one and play to that characters strengths and weaknesses. Locking them into a single character is getting rid of their only way to have any sort of tactical control.

To answer the other question, generally only the loser of a match gets to change characters, though even that isn’t always the case.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
To answer the other question, generally only the loser of a match gets to change characters, though even that isn’t always the case.
Ok, I didn't realize that's what Fig was saying. So now I'm thinking I'll ask that you state which character you plan on using when you sign up, and if you change to state that in thread also. Again, I'm accepting feedback on everything.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Ok, I didn't realize that's what Fig was saying. So now I'm thinking I'll ask that you state which character you plan on using when you sign up, and if you change to state that in thread also. Again, I'm accepting feedback on everything
I think it would be better to ask for all of the characters you’re planning on using upfront, making it a lot easier to swap between the two. This will especially be good if we make each match a best of three like most tournaments do.

Fig

The Altruist
I see what you're saying, but first off, why do you have to submit a single team for the Pokemon tournaments?

You're comparing 2 different types of games. One is an RPG and the focus of competitive is setting up scenarios in effectively a stat-check battle. The other is a fighting game where anything can happen between two players. The six Pokémon in a team can effectively either steamroll another team 6-0 or get washed up 0-6 and everything in between. Another reason for that is to prevent cheating. If I know my opponent's team ahead of time and discretely change stats or moves, that's cheating and should be banned/DQ'd as a consequence. In a fighting game that's different. You have to make the choice or either staying with your guts or risk it using a different character to see if the result may change.

And also, picking a character to counter whoever you're up against next seems kinda pointless because the other guy is gonna try to pick a character to counter you. I plan on doing these things for a long time, so I'll be open to trying different things, bit right now I'm liking the idea of character locks better for previously stated reasons.

Except this doesn't happen in competitive Smash tournaments. As stated earlier, like in arcades and other fighting games, the winner is locked to their character before the match starts. The only way for the winner to change characters is to lose the following game or if the winner wants to change characters before the next match, they have to lock in their change first regardless, i.e. if I won Game 1 with Mario but I didn't feel confident and wanted to change characters, the ruleset allows me to do but I have to inform the loser that I'm changing to x character first before the loser picks their character so that they can still counterpick if they want to.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Ok, thanks for clarifying all that. I still feel like it would make for more interesting competition to ask that you state any characters you plan on using when you sign up, with a max of 3-4 characters. Makes for more strategy imo. Thoughts on this, anyone?

Fig

The Altruist
Ok, thanks for clarifying all that. I still feel like it would make for more interesting competition to ask that you state any characters you plan on using when you sign up, with a max of 3-4 characters. Makes for more strategy imo. Thoughts on this, anyone?

That's fine, most offline tournaments do that so they can setup their graphics in the event a given set of players do make it to the final bracket. Plus, most people who do care about competitive will be only focusing between 1-4 characters as juggling too many characters makes it harder to advance from the low or middle levels.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I know the way they were run in the past you could change your character whenever no matter if you win or lose, we have only ever had 1 tourney that restricted characters and that was during the Pokemon ORAS celebration event.

Really wish we could do an event like that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom