• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Smash tournament!

Which model?

• #1, Elim bracket

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • #2, One night of glory

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
E1zQ6eIUYAMQsPn
Hello, everyone! I am now in charge of the Smash tournaments, but I've never done something like this before, so I want y'alls feedback! Right now I've got two different models I'm considering.

Model #1 is similar to how Terminus runs the Pokemon tournaments, I would set up a bracket and randomize y'all and it would be up to the participants to move the tournament along.

Model #2 is a more traditional Smash tournament, we would have to set up a time that works for everyone and all meet together and use the tournament mode in Smash Ultimate.

I'd like to hear feedback on those models and what rulesets y'all wanna see, items or no, how to set the stage, etc, etc, etc. I'll let the discussion run for a week or so and then set up signups based on the more popular option.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I like model one better, personally. Easier to do quick matches with each other and whatnot.

When it comes to Smash, the best ruleset is 3-4 stock, no items, final destination omega and battlefield only, if you ask me.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I pushed double elim for pokemon and I'll push it here too
if there's a lot of interest, maybe a 4 player friendly bracket in addition to a 2 player bracket?
Absolutely. That had crossed my mind but didn't actually make it out when I was typing.
I like model one better, personally. Easier to do quick matches with each other and whatnot.

When it comes to Smash, the best ruleset is 3-4 stock, no items, final destination omega and battlefield only, if you ask me.
I might just leave rulesets up to the individual battlers tbh. I'd just need evidence that it had happened and that everyone had used the right characters.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: When you sign up, you'll have to state which character you're using. (Using different alts is fine, using echoes is not) Are y'all ok with allowing multiple people to use the same character?

Gorozoron

wild ride
Absolutely. That had crossed my mind but didn't actually make it out when I was typing.

I might just leave rulesets up to the individual battlers tbh. I'd just need evidence that it had happened and that everyone had used the right characters.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: When you sign up, you'll have to state which character you're using. (Using different alts is fine, using echoes is not) Are y'all ok with allowing multiple people to use the same character?
Dibs on Pikachu
and yeah I'm chill with peeps using the same character as me

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Finally. Someone else who gets it.
People love to tout no items and omega/battlefield only or stage hazards off as the end-all-be-all of smash gameplay but that's the most mind-numbingly boring way to play. It takes everything that makes smash fun out of smash. Like.... if you're going to make smash be just like every other fighting game on the market, why bother playing smash at all?

But that's just me. :v the more chaotic the better. I say we allow cutsom stages too.

Fig

The Altruist
As someone with experience in both competing and TO'ing tournaments, I personally would prefer a double elimination bracket. Granted this is assuming if you prefer a more skilled-based tournament. Current tournament standards are using the SWT ruleset. If not, then anything goes I suppose.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Yeah, items are fine in casual play, but not in any sort of competitive. Having items takes away any skill involved in the match. The most I’d say to use is the Final Smash meter.

the rule set id say go with is double elimination, 3 stock, best of 3, using tournament stage selection (though I always felt like Bridge of Eldin with hazards turned off and Mario Galaxy should be allowed as well to give some sort of viability to characters with a poor recovery, but that could just be because I second Ganondorf.)

I think requiring you to use a single character is stupid, as it takes away the idea of playing to each characters strengths and weaknesses. If only one character is allowed than nobody is allowed to change their tactic to reflect who they’re playing. 2 characters max is fine, but only allowing 1 is a bad idea.

Fig

The Altruist
I think requiring you to use a single character is stupid, as it takes away the idea of playing to each characters strengths and weaknesses. If only one character is allowed than nobody is allowed to change their tactic to reflect who they’re playing. 2 characters max is fine, but only allowing 1 is a bad idea.

This would be the first time I hear of Smash tournaments character-locking throughout the set. You are only locked in if you are the winner similar to how in the arcades, the loser has to put in a quarter in for a rematch and only they can choose their character and/or stage for the next match. Only tournaments that are the exception is if there's a specific theme around the tournament such as only Pokémon characters and you just happen to only be ok with one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom