• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Tournament (March 2023) - Finished!

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
We're now announcing the return of Pokémon Tournaments here in ZD!
Hello! I'm ExLight and I'll be your host for this event and hopefully the ones in a near future! They'll undergo some some changes so stay tuned-in!

We intend on discussing the current ideas with the community, so we're able to make them more interactive and adequate for all types of players.
At the end of the event, feedback on how it was hosted, as well as a poll to decide what type of game format should be tried next, will be available to all members of the community. The inclusion of extra rules (such as the seasonal type limitations) in future tournaments will also be talked about.

That being said, sorry to keeping you waiting! For the returning one we'll keep things simple: National Dex
This game mode is one of the most popular, allowing players to pick almost any pokémon in the main series, as well as keeping battle mechanics from the previous generations!

FORMAT: Double Elimination Tournament (might change depending on the number of interested players)
PLATFORM: Pokémon Showdown
RULESET: Singles Gen 9 National Dex OU:
    • Species Clause: Players cannot have more than one Pokémon with any National Pokédex number.
    • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot intentionally prevent their opponent's Pokémon from fainting from PP depletion and Struggle recoil.
    • Sleep Clause Mod: Players can not induce sleep on more than one of the opponent's Pokémon at once.
    • Evasion Clause: Moves that boost evasion like Minimize are banned.
    • OHKO Clause: Moves that OHKO the foe (Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold) are banned.
    • Dynamax Clause: Players cannot Dynamax their Pokémon.
  • Arceus (all forms), Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Darkrai, Darmanitan-Galar, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Speed, Dialga, Dracovish, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Houndstone, Iron Bundle, Koraidon, Kyogre, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Lugia, Lunala, Magearna, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Naganadel, Necrozma-Dawn Wings, Necrozma-Dusk Mane, Necrozma-Ultra, Palafin, Palkia, Pheromosa, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Reshiram, Roaring Moon, Shedinja, Shaymin-Sky, Solgaleo, Spectrier, Urshifu (Single Strike), Xerneas, Yveltal, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta-Crowned, Zekrom, Zygarde, Zygarde-Complete
  • Arena Trap, Moody, Power Construct, Shadow Tag
  • Alakazite, Blastoisinite, Blazikenite, Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, King's Rock, Lucarionite, Metagrossite, Quick Claw, Razor Fang, Salamencite
  • Baton Pass

IMPORTANT:
Teams must be sent to @Morbid Minish for verification before the tournament begins. For this event, players are not allowed to edit their team after the tournament begins. Disrespecting this rule will count as cheating, resulting in instant disqualification and getting blacklisted in future events.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

"I created my team, but I'm still unsure if I'm breaking a rule!"
Since this event has no extra rules, all it has to do is playable accordingly to the current game mode's restrictions. Everyone can check by themselves if their team is valid in Pokémon Showdown. Here's the step-by-step on how to do so:

- Find the "Teambuilder" button;
- Select the team you're going to use for this event;
- In the field "Format", pick the format "National Dex". Upon doing so it must say "[Gen 9] National Dex";
- Click the "Validate" button:
- If your team is valid it will show the message: "Your team is valid for [Gen 9] National Dex";​
- If your team is invalid, it will show a message detailing what might be wrong with it. Fix those, and try again.​

1678847300504.png

1678847587146.png

1678847775802.png

1678847881308.png

1678847997131.png
"They changed the official ruleset during the tournament and my team isn't valid anymore!"
This has happened before and could happen again. If a ruleset change affects any players, the tournament you will still proceed normally with the submitted teams. However, when challenging another player, the affected player will have to select the "Custom Game" mode since their team would not be eligible for "National Dex" in the site anymore.

1678848675716.png

1678848722020.png

1678848830178.png
"How do I export or import a team?"
The import/export is an important and useful tool that will be at least required when it comes to sending the team for verification here in ZD. Basically it allows the transformation of a bunch of text formatted in a specific manner into the game's data or vice-versa. To use it:

- Find the "Teambuilder" button;
- Select the team you're going to use for this event;
- Next to the team's name, click the "Import/Export" button;
- If you intend to Export the team, highlight all the text and copy it;​
- If you intend to Import a team, erase all the text (if any) and paste the text of the team you want to import.​
- Once you're done, make sure to double check and save!

If you want to change only individual pokémon, each party member has a similar "Import/Export" button next to them that allows to make changes only on those slots.

1678847300504.png

1678847587146.png
1678851948390.png
1678852045586.png
"Are moves that lower accuracy allowed?"
Yes! The Evasion Clause (Moves that boost evasion like Minimize are banned) only bans moves that increase evasion. Moves that reduce accuracy such as Sand-attack are still allowed!

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
A sign-up phase's deadline will be set soon enough depending on my impression on the community interest.
Please use this thread to Signup or ask anything that might be bothering you!
Hope you all have fun!

Player List:
1. Pen​
2. The Sun Fan​
3. Mikey the Moblin​
4. thePlinko​
5. Pokémaniac13​
6. Ragnarokio​
7. Chevywolf30​
8. Dashing Darknut​

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
this is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to participate directly through Violet? not totally sure what Showdown is :sweat:
Unfortunately no, especially since this is nat dex and Gamefreak doesn’t want to finish their games. Showdown is pretty easy to understand though. It completely streamlines the competitive teambuilding process. It’s just a fan made battle simulator.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
this is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to participate directly through Violet? not totally sure what Showdown is :sweat:
Sorry, but no :(
There are plans for a tournament in Scarlet and Violet in the future, but this one can only be played in Pokémon Showdown.

Pokémon Showdown is what we call a battle simulator. It's a site where players can instantly build their ideal team however they want and fight each other.
It was chosen over an in-game tournament because it's open to everyone, meaning even people that don't have the games can play.

I have a blog post in development that aims to explain the basics of competitive Pokémon and the Showdown interface. In the meanwhile feel free to ask for help and we can help you make your team!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom