• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Music Competition Round 6

Whose entry do you like better?

• Entry 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for your responses to the poll I created back in January. Taking the results into account, we have decided to go ahead and give this competition another go. In order to ensure that this competition is open for many people, there are no restrictions about the type of music you can create. The only requirements are that you stick with the theme, which you can find below, and that the music you submit is made by you. Anything, even a low quality audio recording from your phone of you humming the Song of Storms, will be accepted. Do not think you need to be a musical mastermind in order to participate, I want this competition to be one in which anybody who wants to can participate without feeling held back by lack of experience of DAWs or any professional music software.

So, with that being said, the theme for this round of the Music Competition is:

Video Games

Please submit a cover of some kind of music from any video game, or an original piece inspired by a video game (and if the latter, please tell me which video game it is based on). There are no additional parameters. Submissions may be recordings of live instruments or digital productions, just as long as it is made by you. Including samples or backing tracks that you did not make may be allowed, just be sure to send me a private message about it first.

Due to the time involved in making music relative to some other art forms, I can receive submissions for up to 4 weeks. Thus, the deadline to submit entries is Monday, May 31, at 11:59PM MST. In order to enter, simply PM me your submission!

Additionally, when you submit, please tell me if you would like to submit anonymously. By default, submissions will not be anonymous.

Last edited:

H3LLFIR3

Shadow Emperor H3LLFIR3
Sitting on my throne in The Shadow Realm.
Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for your responses to the poll I created back in January. Taking the results into account, we have decided to go ahead and give this competition another go. In order to ensure that this competition is open for many people, there are no restrictions about the type of music you can create. The only requirements are that you stick with the theme, which you can find below, and that the music you submit is made by you. Anything, even a low quality audio recording from your phone of you humming the Song of Storms, will be accepted. Do not think you need to be a musical mastermind in order to participate, I want this competition to be one in which anybody who wants to can participate without feeling held back by lack of experience of DAWs or any professional music software.

So, with that being said, the theme for this round of the Music Competition is:

Video Games

Please submit a cover of some kind of music from any video game, or an original piece inspired by a video game (and if the latter, please tell me which video game it is based on). There are no additional parameters. Submissions may be recordings of live instruments or digital productions, just as long as it is made by you. Including samples or backing tracks that you did not make may be allowed, just be sure to send me a private message about it first.

Due to the time involved in making music relative to some other art forms, I can receive submissions for up to 4 weeks. Thus, the deadline to submit entries is Monday, May 31, at 11:59PM MST. In order to enter, simply PM me your submission!

Additionally, when you submit, please tell me if you would like to submit anonymously. By default, submissions will not be anonymous.
can uh we sing the cover?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
*quietly crawls in*

Hi everyone. My apologies for transitioning to the voting phase more than a week after the submission deadline. Due to a lack of entries, and my own error in failing to write a reminder post when the deadline was approaching, I silently decided to continue accepting entries for another week or so after the deadline had passed.

So, with that said, I received two entries this round. Please give them a listen and vote for your favourite one!

Entry 1: Original composition (inspired by Mega Man 0) - User opted to submit anonymously.

Entry 2: Gerudo Valley - Mikey the Moblin

Voting will be up for one week, and will close Tuesday, June 15, 11:59PM MST.

Unfortunately, due to a relative lack of entries, I think this competition will have to take another indefinite hiatus after this. However, please sound off below if you would like to continue seeing it run.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Personally I find composing and performance more involved than writing or drawing, at least to the level of these competitions. The music competitions need to either be way more step by step with long deadlines to make sure people are keeping up, or it needs to be way simpler in scope if we want to keep this running

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Personally I find composing and performance more involved than writing or drawing, at least to the level of these competitions. The music competitions need to either be way more step by step with long deadlines to make sure people are keeping up, or it needs to be way simpler in scope if we want to keep this running
The problem with long deadlines is that it's easy to forget without near constant reminders, and it's best to keep this section running at a decent pace. I do agree, though, that it is much more demanding to create music submissions than pretty much any other art form, and will thus give some consideration to doing more forgiving deadlines in the future.

That being said, @Mikey the Moblin's performance of Gerudo Valley has received the most votes in this round and therefore wins the competition, so congrats! I will make sure your award gets distributed promptly.

I will follow up with a discussion with the rest of the Volunteer team regarding the future of the music competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom