• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Forum Change Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Since ZD bought ZI, shouldn't they be merging with us? If Mases wants the incompetent forum software that is IP Boards because DISQUS IS THE FUTURE, we can still switch software, but the fact is, ZD is the brand; ZI is the product. It would be ridiculously backward for the current plans to be played out.
Stupid question. But why are we obsessing over a disqus login when Diqus itself is NOT a unified login system, and they in fact rely heavily on integration with Google and Facebook accounts. Getting a plugin that lets people login with Facebook or Google should be much easier AND will accomplish the same thing as this ridiculous plugin would without such insane measures.

I completely understand that the forums are low priority compared to the main site and what the plans currently are when it comes to ZD+ZI and all that. If this is inevitable and there's nothing we can really do about, I'm not going to make a stink and dig my nails in deep and refuse to cooperate. If forums really are obsolete and no worth it anymore, it's whatever; I definitely don't know what's best for everyone in the grand scheme of things.

I just don't think I'd have the heart to completely move over though and it not be the "ZD forums". That's kind of what it's always been really. "The Dark World", "DGN forums", it had some formal name changes, but I always knew what it really was. It's just difficult to imagine having the same place when the URL isn't "zeldadungeon.net/forums". We'd lose a good number of people in the move for sure, and like others have said, we'd also lose those that haven't logged in for a while and find a dead site when they try to again. It'd be a rough transition for the current community for sure.

And yeah, I do think it would be depressing to do it right now especially. We all seem to be in agreement - the past few months here have been wonderful. Far better than I've ever witnessed since I first joined. The currently administration is doing a great job at the moment, and we seem to have finally shook off some people that were just here to stir up discontent and strife. Pointless drama is non-existant, when we used to not be able to go even a day without it. To jeopardize that by forcefully merging with another community that may not be in as good of place as we are right now would be a shame.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I completely understand that the forums are low priority compared to the main site
This is something I'm curious about. Just how important does Mases consider these forums to be? For me, I couldn't care less about the main site and I use the forums here more than any other feature on this site, and I don't think I'm alone in that. I get it if Mases wants the main site to thrive, but is it possible to do it in a way that the forums don't suffer? They're very important to me and they've been a part of my life for years. I know there should be others who feel the same way about them.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm going to be straight up. If we move and a lot of my friends leave, I can't promise I'll stay. I hope we all stick together as a community no matter what, despite the imminent changes. Unfortunately I'm under the impression that this change will break our community bonds. Everyone seems agreed that they don't want to become the new Zelda Informer Forum. The sad truth is, I think Mases is set on his decision and there really isn't anything we can do. The only reason he wants us to move and become the new ZI forums and adopt their software (IP Boards) is because they have that plugin that allows you to log in once and reply in the forums, and in the Disqus comments.

Xenoforo literally feels like wasted time, I feel like I put effort into something, contributed to get it to a point were we all are beginning to feel satisfied with (has anyone noticed we've had a lot of new member activity this past month?) and now it's all going down the toliet.

I don't think it is even the software that is the issue — it's losing the URL. People are joining the Zelda Dungeon Forum, not the Zelda Informer Forum. We'll get the members on ZI's forum, but I'm not too confident that we'll maintain the new member activity we're getting here over there. Also we're a pretty tight bunch, the ZI members might end up getting alienated by us. It might happen.

The only way things might not die is if we stay together. If we all seperate than the community will die. Maybe the URL will be different, but is we stay together it'll still be Zelda Dungeon. If we split up it's really going to die. I can't blame any of you if you do leave. I just hope a majority of you don't. That's my main concern... this merge is potentially detrimental to our community bonds.

Why exactly are we commuting to such a big change for a single programming fix?
But also, another way this will effect the activity is because ZI is somewhat more obscure and people would be more likely to join here.

The sad truth is, I think Mases is set on his decision and there really isn't anything we can do. The only reason he wants us to move and become the new ZI forums and adopt their software (IP Boards) is because they have that plugin that allows you to log in once and reply in the forums, and in the Disqus comments.

Can anyone explain to me how, exactly, that is a good feature? Sounds to me like it would only decrease the actual quality of user made content by lowering the entry barrier too much.

Can anyone explain to me how, exactly, that is a good feature? Sounds to me like it would only decrease the actual quality of user made content by lowering the entry barrier too much.
It isn't a good feature, and it will lower the entry barrier by more than too much.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
As if DISQUS was really so important that it's worth switching the entire forum over for.

I also don't agree with switching the forum over for the benefit of the wiki. That's sacrificing something the community loves for something that the majority of the community doesn't even care about (I'm sorry but it's true, no offense intended).

EDIT: I also don't see the point in the disqus plugin. It's not like it's hard to make a separate disqus account, it takes literally no time at all.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Why exactly are we commuting to such a big change for a single programming fix?
But also, another way this will effect the activity is because ZI is somewhat more obscure and people would be more likely to join here.
Because Mases feels interconnectivity is everything.

Like I said above, he feels interconnectivity is everything. For him it's a good feature he is willing to switch software for.

I guess I cant stop the cogs turning if mases has made up his mind and I dont want to sound melodramatic but...

I'm pretty proud of this site, I'm proud of my time here, I've tried to engage members and create threads and give this site some life, I'm proud of the members that have been active and made this forum a joy to be a part of.

The merge with ZI, to me, couldn't be coming at a worse time. A couple of years ago this place was a nightmare with troublesome members and no end of arguments but now its like ZD is having a golden age.

There are no huge arguments in the shoutbox anymore and everyone is really friendly. There are no more ranks to make things complicated like hylian knights and nobles so things are simpler now too.

Really, this site and my newsfeed on twitter is all I use the interwebs for, it'll be a shame to see it all go.

Id like to follow the members here to a new site but I'm comfortable here and don't have the time to put work into integrating myself into a new site so if ZD ceases to be then it'll be a sad time to see all of our hard work go as well as the members I've come to respect here.

D

Deleted member 14134

What are the chances that a user on ZI shares a username with a user on ZD and when the merge happens, they end up with a merged account?

I'm worried about this to, I'd hate if there was a Philosophies About Bok Choy on ZI and I lost my account to him.

Dan

Personally I think you're all overreacting. This move does suck a little but not to the extent of a 3rd class Sunny D girl.
Our community has been through worse than this, or are you all forgetting that cancerous era where essentially two sunny D girls and a boy with self esteem lower than Angelina Jolie's acting talent ran the forums? I don't think I even need to talk about the Axle era. Point being is that we survived that toxic mess, we survived it because we as a group love and support one another.

Azure sage when your car broke down who told you how to fix it? That's right none other than ZD member Tristan. Ari when you were in debt to Disney World who gave you the funds to pay it off? That's right ZD member Vanessa. There are countless non-fictional examples of our community aiding one another when the chips are down. We don't need a piece of software to keep us together! We are ZD!

We don't need to worry about toxic members when we become ZI as we'll have our ZD modding team put a stop to it right away.
Regarding old members, we can keep the url I'm sure, so when oldies do come back they will land on a page with a nice greeting "Hello there, we missed you the ZD community has moved over here pal, good to see you back" add some love hearts and glitter to make them feel extra welcome too.
Smilies can easily be moved to the new forum. Although if the ZI forum doesn't already have a :bubsy: emoticon they can all go die in a ditch.

When we do move to the new forum will this thread be transferred over as well?:bubsy:

Last edited:
Personally I think you're all overreacting. This move does suck a little but not to the extent of a 3rd class Sunny D girl.
Our community has been through worse than this, or are you all forgetting that cancerous era where essentially two sunny D girls and a boy with self esteem lower than Angelina Jolie's acting talent ran the forums? I don't think I even need to talk about the Axle era. Point being is that we survived that toxic mess, we survived it because we as a group love and support one another.

Azure sage when your car broke down who told you how to fix it? That's right none other than ZD member Tristan. Ari when you were in debt to Disney World who gave you the funds to pay it off? That's right ZD member Vanessa. There are countless non-fictional examples of our community aiding one another when the chips are down. We don't need a piece of software to keep us together! We are ZD!

We don't need to worry about toxic members when we become ZI as we'll have our ZD modding team put a stop to it right away.
Regarding old members, we can keep the url I'm sure, so when oldies do come back they will land on a page with a nice greeting "Hello there, we missed you the ZD community has moved over here pal, good to see you back" add some love hearts and glitter to make them feel extra welcome too.
Smilies can easily be moved to the new forum. Although if the ZI forum doesn't already have a :bubsy: emoticon they can all go die in a ditch.

When we do move to the new forum will this thread be transferred over as well? As small as their community may be I'm sure they won't be too happy being labelled as toxic cockroaches... even if they are. :bubsy:
Hmm... You actually make some good points there.

Also, They've already seen this thread and are very confused, actually.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Hmm... You actually make some good points there.

Also, They've already seen this thread and are very confused, actually.
I read the thread. It looks like there's misconceptions on both sides. Since Huk linked them to this thread, I'll send the link to their copy
http://forums.zeldainformer.com/ind...rums-are-merging-into-our-forums/#entry415965

As for the ultimate issue, it would only make sense to continue under the ZD brand. Our forum is bigger, our boss bought out theirs, etc. When Google bought YouTube they didn't change their name to YouTube during the merger. They remained Googly.
When it comes to bringing the communities together though, I'm all for it. I just feel like the way we're going about it is wrong

EDIT: Do we have a timeline for the merge?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom