• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Forum Change Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Why Mases even bought ZI in the first place is beyond me, but that's an irrelevant issue.

Anyway, we all already know that Mases doesn't see the forum the same way we do. He sees it just another gaming forum, when in reality it's more than that, it's a community. I want Mases to actually look at this thread and see for himself what people really think of the merger, because in his mind the forum isn't overly important. We're actually a really tight-knit community that literally just recovered from a lot if crazy drama and toxicity. Mases doesn't see any of that, which is why it's important for him to see this thread before making an official decision. What kind of leader (besides every leader ever) makes such huge decisions as that without any input from the community?

I think I'd be ok with the merger in general,as long as all our stuff (posts, vms, etc) stay. I'm just really annoyed with the lack of taking the feelings of the community into account. This isn't even gonna be ZD anymore, it's gonna be ZI. I joined ZD because I like ZD, I never had any intentions to join ZI. ZD is Mases' baby, not ZI. So our forums shouldn't be taken over by ZI's.

The ZI forums also have a really ugly layout, but I digress.

Dan

I took a look at the comments section on their main site, didn't see anything distasteful what so ever. Maybe I should have looked at more than 10 articles.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think this word Toxic gets thrown around way too much. It's also very subjective. We've had members here say that other members here are very toxic to the climate of the forums. [And those same members return the favor by claiming the others are toxic]. Now we are using that same term to define the commentary on another website, and the message boards. There is a heck of a lot of toxicity talk here...

Changes are happening. After I bought Zelda Informer I had lunch with their Editor-in-Chief. One of the first things I said was. 'The Cold War is over'. It's not a competition anymore. The horse race is over. Being pro-ZD doesn't mean you are anti-ZI. [Not that this sentiment made sense in the first place].

Whatever the norm was during the pre-January 2016 era, is no longer the norm and won't be anymore. I was toying with the idea of just bringing the websites together completely. As one massive website. After giving that some thought, I shot that idea down. Too much branding involved. The Zelda Dungeon brand is first and foremost its guides/walkthroughs. That's what the website will focus on from this point forward. There will be a renewed focus on Guides/Walkthroughs, as well as the expansion of our encyclopedic content. Zelda Informer will maintain its blog/news setup. Forums are moving to Zelda Informer.

The websites will remain separate but there is going to be heavy integration between the two. This is both navigationally and also in concept. The websites will complement each other. We will use a common forum, a common wiki, a single group of walkthroughs, a single blog for news/editorials, etc...

So much for listening to your customers. Note that I haven't said anything about ZI being toxic (how would I know?), but you unfortunately didn't respond to any other arguments that I and others have brought forth. It's your site, do whatever you want with it - but don't be surprised when people don't just blindly follow you.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I believe I mentioned "massive decisions being made without the say of the community" once or twice.

I mentioned toxicity, but that wasn't my only point. Nice to see, once again, that the entire forum community is getting ignored. I sense de ja vu here...

A huge chunk of Zelda Dungeons user base is here on the forums, possibly a majority. And nothing we say gets taken into account. This is sad.

Customers? Do people pay for service here or did I miss something?

I understand folks not wanting to lose a fan-hangout, but let's get this clear: This site belongs to Mases, and we're just along for the ride. There are folks who help run the site and give their input, but calling any of us "customers" is trying to put weight on the subject that isn't there.

This is more like someone opened a personal playground and let people in for free, but moved for personal reasons and took his toys with him. Let's not kid ourselves.

I don't know that I agree or disagree with the decision, but that's because I've seen very little official word on the subject. Let's all just chill and see what happens.

Reactions: Dan
Customers? Do people pay for service here or did I miss something?

I understand folks not wanting to lose a fan-hangout, but let's get this clear: This site belongs to Mases, and we're just along for the ride. There are folks who help run the site and give their input, but calling any of us "customers" is trying to put weight on the subject that isn't there.

This is more like someone opened a personal playground and let people in for free, but moved for personal reasons and took his toys with him. Let's not kid ourselves.

I don't know that I agree or disagree with the decision, but that's because I've seen very little official word on the subject. Let's all just chill and see what happens.

I wasn't all that serious about the customer thing - that was more of a snide remark. My point still stands, though - I said myself that it's his site and he can do whatever he wants with it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I damn well have the right the voice my disagreement and leave if it stops being fun (wether I do, I'll decide when it happens). Besides, I don't think the comparison to a customer is off by that much - after all, ZD is financed from ad revenue and who do you think is producing that?

Yeah, why actually listen to the people that use your site?

Does he really have to?

If somebody says they like my model-making hobby, and I decide to drop everything and make teddy bears, does it really matter what the other person thinks so long as I have fun?

This site is somebody's hobby. It costs them money to run. There's simply no point in acting like the world is ending. :/

Reactions: Dan
Does he really have to?

If somebody says they like my model-making hobby, and I decide to drop everything and make teddy bears, does it really matter what the other person thinks so long as I have fun?

This site is somebody's hobby. It costs them money to run. There's simply no point in acting like the world is ending. :/
Yes, but in the long run this could be bad for him even. If too many people object to this and leave, that's less people coming and less traffic.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Does he really have to?

We're the people keeping this site alive. If we leave because we feel ignored then it's ultimately the chief webmaster that loses. I think our opinions are totally valid and that yes, he should listen.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Why the hell would you move the active community to a much smaller and less active site? We've never got an actual reason, since the ZeldaDungeon url will still exist for the walkthroughs.

Does he really have to?

"Oh hey **** what the people who use this site care about because what I say goes" yeah he has a right to do that, doesn't mean it's not a ****ty thing to do.

Yes, but in the long run this could be bad for him even. If too many people object to this and leave, that's less people coming and less traffic.

Will it? Or will he shrug it off, close the site, and find something better to do?

Maybe, just JUST maybe, his thoughts on the matter don't depend on the posters on a forum. Maybe that's cynical of me to say, but none of us is entitled to be here. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom