• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zant and Midna are related by blood

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Just been thinking about Zant. The guy was originally next in line for the throne, or else why would he bang on about his royal right. The man expected to be king but was not given the title. Usually the kings firstborn son is the heir to the throne, so is it that Zant was the son of the previous king of Twilight?
If not the firstborn son then who could possibly be next in line? A daughter perhaps. Females in Zelda lore are given more equality than in the british royal family for instance where it must be a male heir to succeed. Could it be that it is possible for the king to choose one of his female offspring as a successor if he desires? If so that would make Midna the sibling of Zant.

What do you think are they blood related somehow or do you have a different theory?

Djinn

and Tonic
The first time I played the game I assumed they were related by blood, if they were not brother/sister. It was later on when I was writing something on the Twili that I went back and looked up their text from the game and got the impression that they might not have been related at all.

I'm not totally sure how the ruler of the Twili was picked in their system since it never goes into any detail in the game. It's either related to inheriting some special brand of magic, or at least achieving it once they are picked. But from the interactions between Midna and Zant I don't really think they are closely related.

Pen

The game is on!
I've always thought of them as being related somehow, because as you say G-King, Zant used to be the next in line to the throne. However, I've never thought of them as possibly being siblings until now. To me it actually makes pretty much sense. I can actually draw a parallel to what happened in the royal family here in Sweden some years back. The current King of Sweden's first born was a girl, and his second was a boy. The boy became next in line after his father, because the tradition said that it had to be the oldest boy. However, when the prince and princess were maybe teenagers, they changed it so that it doesn't matter what gender the first born has. The first born shall be the next in line to the throne regardless of their gender. Because of this little reform the princess was announced to be next in line after her father because she was, after all, the oldest of the kids. And as a result the little prince - who was previously said to be king one day - lost his chance at the throne.

Anyway, unlike Djinn above, I could definitely see Midna and Zant as sibling from looking at their interactions with one another.

I always assumed they were engaged at one point. Romantic tension yo!

Either that or Zant was so random court official who was mad a woman was going to take power. Women can't be leaders, that just silly!

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I didn't think they were siblings. Maybe at most cousins or something. But my thought was always that he was an advisor to the throne, who was aiming to take control of the Twilight Realm and was kicked out once Midna took the throne because she knew he was a power-hungry psychopath. He was ****ed at her for taking away what little power he did have, so he went and cried about it and then Ganon found him.

JetstreamSam

Harbinger of Chaos
I didn't think they were siblings. Maybe at most cousins or something. But my thought was always that he was an advisor to the throne, who was aiming to take control of the Twilight Realm and was kicked out once Midna took the throne because she knew he was a power-hungry psychopath. He was ****ed at her for taking away what little power he did have, so he went and cried about it and then Ganon found him.
This perfectly describes my opinion on the subject. I always saw him as an immature child, angry for not getting his way. In all honesty, I was a little let down by how they depicted Zant. With the mask on, he looked like such a calm, collected bada**! Turns out, hes just batsh** crazy xD

This perfectly describes my opinion on the subject. I always saw him as an immature child, angry for not getting his way. In all honesty, I was a little let down by how they depicted Zant. With the mask on, he looked like such a calm, collected bada**! Turns out, hes just batsh** crazy xD
Lol yea the first time playing TP I was kinda let down when learned about Zant. For most of the game he is calm collected and creepy as crap (looks at the scene with Midna and Wolf link in Linaru`s spring and the creepy reveal of his mouth under his mask. Then he just goes insane when you fight him and is the equivalent to a 5 year old not getting his way.

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I believe going back, it said that Zant believed that he should have been picked as the rightful king because he had lead some kind of revolution against the former monarch that freed a large majority of his people. But when it came time to pick the next ruler, they glossed over him and decided to pick Midna, who belonged to the former monarchy, instead.

It's kind of similar to the whole back story of Far Cry 4 where the resistance of the old monarchy, the Golden Path, had teamed up with Pagan Min in order to topple said former monarchy. The Golden Path tried to set up their own ruler, but Pagan revealed that it was in his own plans to become ruler all along and massacred the remaining survivors of their seige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom