• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Yuga's Name

Ganondork

goo
So I was reading around a bit, and I found an interesting little tidbit about the word, "Yuga." Apparently, in Hindu philosophy, it's the name of an epoch or era within a four-age cycle. It made me think about A Link Between Worlds' antagonist, Yuga. I wasn't really sure what to make of the possible correlation between the word and the name - still not entirely sure, honestly - but I figured that it must have some significance.

At the moment, I'm thinking that it means that Yuga was going to bring about a new era. Hyrule Warriors also uses the term, "Era," when referring to Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, so I figure that it may have some correlation. I know that Hyrule Warriors isn't really canon, but calling those different time periods, "Eras," is somewhat interesting.

Perhaps Yuga was going to bring about the fourth and final era? I'd assume the first three being Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and finally the fourth and final era brought upon by Yuga. The previous three all had a connection to Ganon - Demise being the connection in Skyward Sword - so it's possible that in Yuga and Ganon fusing, this final era would be one in which Ganon emerges victorious.

What are your thoughts?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
So I was reading around a bit, and I found an interesting little tidbit about the word, "Yuga." Apparently, in Hindu philosophy, it's the name of an epoch or era within a four-age cycle. It made me think about A Link Between Worlds' antagonist, Yuga. I wasn't really sure what to make of the possible correlation between the word and the name - still not entirely sure, honestly - but I figured that it must have some significance.

At the moment, I'm thinking that it means that Yuga was going to bring about a new era. Hyrule Warriors also uses the term, "Era," when referring to Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, so I figure that it may have some correlation. I know that Hyrule Warriors isn't really canon, but calling those different time periods, "Eras," is somewhat interesting.

Perhaps Yuga was going to bring about the fourth and final era? I'd assume the first three being Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and finally the fourth and final era brought upon by Yuga. The previous three all had a connection to Ganon - Demise being the connection in Skyward Sword - so it's possible that in Yuga and Ganon fusing, this final era would be one in which Ganon emerges victorious.

What are your thoughts?

Interesting theory Kieth, I don't know why another has responded yet. My thoughts, its a possibility, but what exactly do you mean by Yuga and Ganon fusing? You mean that maybe at some point another game might be made were Yuga merges with Ganon since they are counter parts, and their combined strength would cause Ganon to be victorious?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think I tried doing some slight research into what Yuga actually meant, but this is new to me and quite interesting.

Regarding the whole "Era" thing though, I mean if we consider the Official Timeline a credible source on significant time periods then you actually have multiple eras: Era of Creation, Era of the Goddess, Era of Chaos, Era of Prosperity and that's not even taking into consideration the actual game eras. So really you would have 8 Eras before A Link Between Worlds.

It depends really on how interpret the meaning though, the term might not even relate to eras of history, but instead eras of evil. I was thinking about it briefly and possibly it could mean villains, as in a cycle of villains with Yuga being the 4th. First you have Demise, then you have Vaati, then of course Ganondorf, and finally Yuga. Now Yuga and Vaati could be interpreted as sub-villains ; however I'd argue against that. Vaati is a dark and cunning sorcerer who betrayed the people of Hyrule - he, at that time, was the sole villain and the most dangerous of his era. Yuga, while seemingly being a sub villain, was actually not. I mean if you look at what happened, with the fusing part, Yuga basically powered himself up with the empty shell that was Ganondorf. In a way he used Ganondorf for his gain.

So that's my input, it could mean anything or nothing it all - depends on how you interpret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom