• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Youtube Might Buy Twitch

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This will be good. When YouTube makes the purchase, which isn't even YouTube but honesly it is Google, Google will obtain much power in the Stock Market, which will result in it gaining Dominance over Apple and its other competitors -- at elast fot hte time being. I believe we will see a high rising in DMCA policy violations thanks to this move, because Legal is ever ready to make Legal decisions that result in them gaining more money (such is Law with a company, in turth).

Fig

The Altruist
It's not really Youtube buying Twitch, but rather Google (since Google does own YouTube and integrated with Google Plus). If I'm not mistaken, Google has already bought Twitch for one billion dollars a few weeks ago. Now I know I'm not knowledge when it comes to policies but I know there are concerning thoughts flying around simply as the policies between YouTube and Google are somewhat unstable usually changing every once in a while. With Twitch bought, this could easily allow Google/YouTube to dominate the market and allow content creators to have better communication with their subscribers whenever they go live on Twitch. That said, it all relies on how Google will decide what will be the future for Twitch. Only time will tell just what Google will do with a huge platform such as Twitch.
[video=youtube;q1hSbWqMNPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1hSbWqMNPY[/video]

Clank

Hmm
I'm not sure it's such a bad thing really. I mean to be entirely honest, Twitch hasn't really been innovating or standing up for their users, so why don't we just kill it and open up a new space in the market for a competitor, one who actually innovates.

Besides, has anyone actually tried Google's live-streaming, it works really well. Personally, if it weren't for the record labels, it would easily be the top service.

Big Octo

=^)
Google again expanding their Internet empire. However, Google's not stupid, and they'll keep Twitch alive and well. Sadly, like YouTube, they're more than likely going to force Google+ integration, which is only a bad thing because it turns so many people away. Personally I don't care that much (I have a G+ account, but I don't use it outside of YT).

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I see this as definitely a good thing. Twitch has had many problems over the years and pretty much all of it down to money. They aren't a big company, their services exploded and they've been struggling since, it's why there's now those big delays on streams when there used to not be and why there's been no real big improvements in recent time. The sheer effort of maintaining the service is taking up most of Twitch team's resources.

Best case scenario, Google lets Twitch function as they always have done with some extra funding, and that also seems to be the most likely scenario, Google are putting stock in the Twitch team rather than forcing them out and taking over. The streaming functions of Twitch will improve as servers are upgraded, and Google will hopefully let Twitch in on some Youtube tech in order to improve their horrible VOD service. I'd love some integration with Twitch and Youtube too, having an auto-VOD upload to your Youtube channel or something akin to that, but I think that's a pipe-dream. Better VODs, however, I don't think is and is something I think we will see.

As for people's worries about copyright things, well, it was only a matter of time to be fair. We very much live in a world of entitlement, "It's always been this way so it always should be!" type opinions being very common. Twitch isn't above the law and have been getting pressured about this stuff for a while I'd assume, and so Google will likely pile some (hopefully better than the first attempt) anti-copyright tech into Twitch to sort all the copyrighted music use. As long as they actually do it well, I don't see a problem with that really.

And as for Google+ integration, I'm not sure they'll actually do it. They could link accounts, which seems likely, but Twitch's chat interface is just a heavily modified IRC and so unless they completely re-do the chat from scratch or do some very odd interface loopholes and DB links then they can't just start using Google+ accounts. I wouldn't mind a chat re-work to be fair, but as long as we keep all the smilies.

Twitch wouldn't be twitch without
2169924-kappa.png

So, initial thoughts, good. I hope Google don't disappoint!

Last edited:
However, Google's not stupid

I think everything they've done with YouTube ever contradicts this statement.

This is basically massive internet tumor buying a smaller site and incorporating them into their network of satellite states. Soon, the People's Republic of Google will have a revolution and everyone will praise the great Servers for protecting them from the internet.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Looks like people's hatred of Google might not matter, looks like Amazon is the buyer.

Amazon.com Inc. AMZN +1.08% has agreed to acquire Twitch, a live-streaming service for videogame players, for more than $1 billion, according to a person who has been briefed on the matter.

The deal could be announced as soon as Monday, the person said.

Google Inc. GOOGL -0.20% had earlier been in talks to acquire Twitch, but those talks cooled in recent weeks, according to people familiar with the matter.

Twitch, launched in June 2011, is the most popular Internet destination for watching and broadcasting videogame play. The startup raised $20 million from investors, including Thrive Capital and videogame-maker Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. TTWO -0.76% in September.

News of the acquisition was earlier reported by tech website The Information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ama...l2.2962j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

^ A Google link since a direct link to WSJ won't work. It's the top article of the search, ignoring if there's some ads there.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I sure hope not. YouTube got flushed down the toilet when Google bought it, it is currently stuck in the drain. Let's hope twitch doesn't suffer the same fate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom