• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

You're Personal Top Ten Zelda Games.

D

Dungo

Zelda had some of the best games hands down, every game is considered "The best" and comparing them is a hard task so this is my personal favorite and i hope to hear others as well.

1.OOT: This had to be the best gaming experience in video game history and it allowed the action adventure saga to go into 3d, the graphics were great for its time,the music was outstanding, there was literally no flaws but it just being perfect wasn't enough it had to popularized 3d action adventure games, plus it set the standers for zelda games period.

2.Link to the past:This game is underrated as far as the Zelda community and has its rightful place by critics and it's probably because most never played it at it's release. LTTP is the first Zelda to introduce it's generic formula, go to dungeon point, a, or b ,or c, than big scene, and then 5 more dungeons. It also had the first real Zelda timeline, and a full story plus the best graphics at it's time making this one of the best Zelda games.

3.Twilight princess: Once again Nintendo proved that GameCube graphics can be compared to PS2 and this game pleased the mature players and the Zelda fans making this the most anticipated and epic Zelda experience yet.The game stood true to Zelda almost a replica of OOT but its engaging cinematic makes this the most storied Zelda yet.
This game was aimed for the Hardcore players but not the fans of the series, the game was made for start to finish not for collecting everything 100%, it was made to show off Nintendo graphical capabilities, not to be artistic,and the game was made huge and dense enough just to go through your first play through.This is mostly considered by critics and non Zelda fans to be the greatest after OOT, and it was exactly what Zelda needed after it's "kiddie" approach with Wind Waker.

4.Zelda Wind Waker: It's cute charming graphics in an era of violent video games turned Zelda once mature experience to a "kiddie" and childish game, but once you stop acting immature and trying to act "all grown up" you'll experience one of the most beautiful satisfying and creative Zelda games in the whole franchise. WW no doubt was one of the biggest zelda games its ocean was so engaging that i wouldn't care about my destination I would just want to sail at sea and hoped it never end. It had one of the most memorable sound tracks and the most treasures than any Zelda game and the action was improved with counter buttons and so on this game can easily engage you enough to mark every last island,treasure, side quest, the whole 100% of the game never feels tedious and makes as the best Zelda for adventure.

5.Skyward Swords: Zelda is about the best franchise period, and for a game that's so great to end up at number 5 shows that there really is no winner against zelda games.This game tries to tie side quest, epic game, and open world while all trying to stay dense and revolutionize,And it does all of it without leaving one or the other. while skyward swords did a little of all it failed to do it as well as most zeldas, it's sky wasn't as alive and big as WW ocean, its actually game from start to finish wasn't as great as twilight princess, it's 1:1 sword fight didn't have as much impact as OOT, and the constant fetch quest made the 40 hours feel more empty. But due to this it will easily be in all are hearts never falling too low and for some too high.

6.Majoras mask: "Most of this game reputation is from OOT" that is not true, this game may have had OOT engine but was a totally new experience which was without doubt the most different in zelda.The game uses the same graphics music and style as OOT, but had a complex yet challenging time system, link was also able to transform and the town was a living breathing place in majora mask.This game will forever be the most dense game in zelda but it has little dungeons/bosses and a story so for some they might not like this entry.

7.Zelda: The game introduced the whole action rpg genre nuff said. This turned video games from being a point system, to a adventure that could be explored by allowing players to go not one but 4 directions

8.Minish Cap: at this point it just a matter of what i personally liked and the only handheld that can compete with a console game is MC.The game always felt so much like a big title and the story characters side quest and dungeons felt like Capcom took Nintendo formula and changed it to there's.

9.Phantom hour glass: it was the first DS title and it really showed you all the little details of the DS such as the mic it once again made me respect the handheld zeldas more and more.

10.Oracle games:There were Capcom first zelda titles and had everything zelda was known for making it a great zelda stereotype.

P.S. i already posted this before, and sorry about You're personal top ten zelda games, instead of, your personal top ten zelda games

Last edited by a moderator:

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Here's my list:

1) Ocarina of Time
2) Majora's Mask
3) Skyward Sword
4) Twilight Princess
5) Wind Waker
6) A Link to the Past
7) The Legend of Zelda
8) Minish Cap
9) Oracle of Ages/Seasons
10) Four Swords

zellinkda

one of many
mine would be
10.Minish cap
9spirit tracks
8phantom hourglass
7 four swords
6 a link to the past
5 adventure of link
4 ocarina of time
3wind waker
2 twilight princess.
Majora's Mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

MW7

The order shuffles around from time to time but more or less for me it looks like this:

10. Phantom Hourglass- the touch screen controls were a double-edged sword. They were a little awkward, but at the same time they allowed for some innovative uses of items.

9. Twilight Princess- Probably the most epic Zelda ever made and had some awesome dungeons (I loved Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak Ruins the most). I do feel that this game almost tries to inhibit exploration at some points though, and I thought sidequests took a step backwards in the wrong direction (back to collecting things from helping people). These two aspects were especially salient because it's predecessor (Wind Waker) excelled in these two aspects IMO. Also I really dislike rigid linearity so that's my biggest bias against this game.

8. Oracle of Ages- Some of the most difficult puzzles in the series are in this game. The gameplay was great, and this game captured a similar spirit to Link's Awakening.

7. Link's Awakening- Had a very unique story with interesting characters. The dungeons were challenging and had great puzzles.

6. Wind Waker- Great game with an absurd amount of sidequests. The overworld reminded me of the original game in that you could explore from edge to edge fairly early on (although the game made the questionable-IMO- decision to force you to complete two dungeons before setting you completely free). The biggest thing that I see as a problem in this game is that it doesn't have as great of dungeons as other games in the series. This is just purely an opinion but this was the only Zelda game I've played where I struggle to pick even a single dungeon that I truly adore.

5. ALTTP- More dungeons than any other game in a series characterized by dungeon-crawling, and it's 20 years old. How is that possible? This game had a masterfully designed overworld which allowed for a reasonable balance between linearity and nonlinearity.

4. Skyward Sword- This game gets highly ranked almost solely on the basis on the Wii Motion Plus controls for the sword. This led to perfect gameplay which was incredibly fun and enjoyable. I really enjoyed some of the dungeons especially 4, 5, and 7. The sidequests were also enjoyable and similar to those of Wind Waker's or Majora's Mask. The only reasons I didn't really like the game as much as the 3 games above it on my list are that it placed a ton of emphasis on story and also it was needlessly linear. These complaints also apply to Twilight Princess, but it's clear how much I loved the Wii Motion Plus by how much higher I would rank this game.

3. Legend of Zelda- This game is just awesome because of its level of challenge and exploration. I absolutely love how nonlinear this game is. Also how is this still the only game with a true second quest? Other games have a second quest of sorts, but this is the only one that completely changed the dungeons and that is inherently superior to any other kind of 2nd quest IMO.

2. Ocarina of Time- I could never get tired of this game. Once again nonlinearity makes a huge difference for me. This is the only 3d Zelda game that truly is like the earlier 2d games IMO. The newer games are so attached to telling a story that they force you along a single path in the main quest, and this game avoided this pitfall (entirely my opinion) less than its successors. The game also had some of the most memorable dungeons ever for me. The Water Temple is a close second to the Stone Tower Temple as my favorite dungeon ever, and the Spirit and Forest Temples were very awesome as well.

1. Majora's Mask- The sidequests in this game blow away the rest of the series combined IMO. This is the only Zelda game in which I truly cared for the characters and what happens to them. The 3 day routine and masks are so much fun to experience. Finally, the dungeons in this game are few, but this is the only game in the series in which the designers were batting 1000 IMO. Every dungeon was masterful, and Stone Tower Temple is the coolest dungeon ever.

1.Twilight Princess
2.Ocarina of time
3.Wind Waker
4.Majora Mask
?.Skyward Sword (I still can't tell if its my 2nd,3rd or 4th)
5.Phantom Hourglass
6.Minish cap
7.A Link to the Past
8.Four Swords Adventure
9.Spirit Tracks
10.Oracle of ages

Rare Addict

Site Staff
1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Skyward Sword
4. The Wind Waker
5. A Link to the Past
6. Majora's Mask
7. The Minish Cap
8. Spirit Tracks
9. The Legend of Zelda
10. Phantom Hourglass

It's a pretty tough choice in regards to the #3 spot, but Skyward Sword -- despite having my fair share of issues with the game -- just hit so many of the right notes for me. The orchestrated musical score, the vibrant characters (particularly Ghirahim and Groose), the head-scratching puzzles -- While it may not have had the same impact on me as OoT and TP, it's certainly one hell of a game.

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
10. A Link to the Past - Was an enjoyable game, but It isn't in my taste.
09. Oracle of Ages/Seasons - Ages I prefer more, still not in my taste.
08. Link's Awakening - Interesting game, fun cameos of the Mario themed enemies.
07. Spirit Tracks - I found it to be a very enjoyable experience, had a great time playing it, the character interaction between Link and Zelda was fun.
06. Minish Cap - I wish there were more of these games, sadly there isn't.
05. Ocarina of Time - You know the good parts, everyone hypes this one.
04. Wind Waker - God what a fun and amazing title.
03. Twilight Princess - The Character Arc of Midna has left me with one of the most amazing stories that Zelda games has given me.
02. Skyward Sword - Just recently beat it. Amazing.
01. Majora's Mask - I cannot over-stress how spot on this game is. I love how it represents several characters. I love this story, and it makes me praise it constantly.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
It's really difficult to order these games. For me, the games outside the top five tend to flip-flop a lot, but here's the general idea on which games I like the most.

1. Ocarina of Time - Being my very first Zelda game, you could say that my nostalgia is on at full blast here. I fell in love with this game not from playing it, but from watching my older brothers play it. Once I picked up a controller, I already knew what was going to happen, but what I saw intrigued me. I remember being horrible at the game and being terrified of Deku Scrubs. Then when Gohma showed up, I quickly turned off the game and started over. But I got better as time went on, now the game is a breeze. But even with my nostalgia, I still find this game fun to play. The atmosphere is great, the gameplay is fun. There's really not much for me to say on this subject that no one else has said.

2. Twilight Princess - I know this game is a love it or hate it thing, but I personally love it. It's easy, but it's the only game that came close to giving me the same feeling that OoT did. I absolutely love the combat controls (the Hidden Skills are so much fun) and the horseback combat was great. Despite how linear they were, I loved the aesthetics of the dungeons. The Temple of Time is one of my favorites purely for the atmosphere it creates. I liked the story, as well, and how well-developed Midna was. The cutscenes were memorable and I just enjoyed watching the story unfold. In general, this game tends to flip-flop with OoT as my favorite Zelda game.

3. Skyward Sword - Okay, I have yet to beat this one (I'm just past the fifth dungeon), but from what I've played, this game is just awesome. The art direction is great and I love how cinematic the cutscenes can be. Despite some minor control problems, the gameplay is solid. The dungeons are clever and feel dense, despite being short. In fact, the entire game is like that. Small, but still dense. I find Ghirahim an awesome villain and I really can't wait until I finish the game.

4. Oracle of Ages - Another nostalgic game for me. This was the second Zelda game I owned and I was horrible. The puzzles just confused me to no end (and to this day, they still give me trouble). I love how time travel was utilized in this game. It definitely used it more than OoT and it was used differently than in MM. This gives the game a unique feel. Unfortunately, I don't own Oracle of Seasons and so never have experienced the full game.

5. Minish Cap - One of the reasons I love this game is the graphics, which are very well done and a joy to look at. I liked how different this game was compared to other Zelda titles. The items were very cool and the fact that a couple made it into SS just made squeal in delight. The shrinking mechanic was also very interesting and cool to see. Ezlo isn't my favorite sidekick, but I always get a chuckle when I see Link's hat suddenly talk to him.

6. Majora's Mask - I remember when this came out; I even remember playing the demo at Best Buy. My parents, however, never let me get it back then and so I only started playing this in the past year. The characters are great and so is the atmosphere. For what it is, the game is very well done. I like the dungeon layouts, though I'm not a big fan of the bosses. My biggest issue with the game is the three day time limit, but that's just because I don't do well with time limits. They just stress me out.

7. Wind Waker - Another early Zelda game for me, though I was certainly used to the formula by the time WW was released. I don't mind the cel-shaded graphics, but the art style does bug me a little bit. It seems more suitable for the handheld games, but that's just my personal taste. It doesn't stop this game from being fun. Some of it is tedious (Triforce hunting and sailing), but the story is great and actually a little bittersweet. The dungeons are where this game shines and they are really well done.

8. A Link to the Past - Okay, this game is not really my taste, but it's still well made and I enjoyed it quite a bit; there's just no way it'll ever be at the top of my list. I have trouble getting into the story and it feels rather empty. Part of it is probably because I'm used to the newer games with more characters and more involved stories. But despite that, the gameplay is solid and very challenging. Considering this is very similar to OoT, it's hard for me to really dislike it. It's just not my first choice of a game to play.

9. Spirit Tracks - PH was not my cup of tea, but Spirit Tracks really fixed a lot of issues that PH had. Again, dungeons were well done and I actually like the Spirit Tower. It really helps that there's no need for backtracking and having Zelda possess the Phantoms is very entertaining. Where this game fails, however, is travel. The train feels very restricted and so I dislike doing sidequests for this very reason.

10. Link's Awakening - Just got this game recently. I'm not very far, but it's been fun and it's one that I really want to finish.

Gizmo

Isn't it Captain Keeta?!
10. I only really played 9 Zeldas so far D:
9. The Legend of Zelda
8. The Adventure of Link
7. Twilight Princess
6. The Wind Waker
5. Minish Cap
4. A Link to the Past
3. Link's Awakening
2. Ocarina of Time
1. Majora's Mask

I've only played 10 so far, so let me describe what I liked and why as well as what I didn't like.

10. Zelda II The Adventure of Link
While I like that it brought us the magic meter and different sword moves, I do think it is overly difficult, at times boring, and sometimes visually unappealing, especially in the overworld.
9. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (Anniversary Edition)
I was the only one who had a 3DS at the time and I wasn't interested in handhelds when it came out. Overall, I like visuals and gameplay, but I don't like the lack of an overworld to run around in.
8. The Legend of Zelda
Sort of mandatory to have this on a list of best Zelda games. It doesn't totally hold up in my opinion but for my money's worth it is still enjoyable and I do like many things about it, especially the early attempt at a non-point based game with free roaming and minor theme of coming of age.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX)
The first handheld Zelda is a treat. While I do find it a bit odd that Zelda herself isn't in it, then again we've had tv shows where the title character isn't in one episode, I do enjoy this departure from battling Ganon and its rather bittersweet twist. That and it actually looks nicer than Zelda II.
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
This is something I'm mixed about when it comes to this sequel. I admit it is a good game... but I think Zelda fans have overblown how great it is. Yes it has a dark story with an interesting villain and good dungeons. But at the same time, I do not like so few bosses, I think that there are too many sidequests to the point where it feels 40% main game and 60% sidequests. Look, I like sidequests but not to the point where the take up almost half of the game. Also, at least 1 of the masks is otherwise useless, the Gorman Mask, as to get it you need to complete protecting Cremia during the Milk Run... and the mask prevents the carriage from being attacked. I know, limited by data and time during the development, but I still feel the need to critique from a story perspective and ask what the point of the mask is if its for something you already did. It is not my favorite, nor do I think it is better than Ocarina of Time, I do think it is better than Zelda II. If you think this is the best, I can live with that, but in all honesty, while I think its a decent game, there are better.
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
I admit I was turned off from the visuals, but after playing, I grew to love them. I love the expressiveness and the stylized designs for some of the monsters. I like Aryll, she made this Link different from the rest by making him an older brother. And, in all honesty, I kind of like sailing. It got boring at times, but it made the world feel bigger and there's a good feeling of atmosphere when you're just sailing fast and enjoying the music. In the games where there is a field, you'll notice the game fading to white or black then cut to the town you're entering because the two are separate locations, but in The Wind Waker, none of that, and I like that, playing a part of the larger feel of this game's world.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Anyone who says this game ruined the series or was more harmful is a fool. This is the game that got me into Zelda. The characters, the bosses, the main plot, the music and having the most memorable mini-boss battle in the series, Dark Link. Otherwise, its not the best, here are my top 3.
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Let me say I couldn't decide between this and the next which is second or third, so I might change their spots if asked this again.
I like the visuals (I say visuals not graphics because graphics are the shapes and data needed to make these visuals), the weapons and the monsters. The only thing I don't like is cutting your magic meter in half at one point, which I did do because I wanted to get all of the items and spells.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Like The Wind Waker, this is a game I like for the reasons some might not like. It takes place in Hyrule itself, which is where I always think the series should be, if we see a sequel then we should see a part of Hyrule not shown before. I like the town Link is from, I like how they make the Ocarina of Time look more realistic in terms of design, I like the weapons that return, I like the sword techniques, the music and, to be honest, I like how big Hyrule field is. A lot of people complain about how empty it is, but I actually like it this way. It makes the world once again feel bigger and at times more real by showing a small canyon, different parts of the field and so forth. Admittedly I got lost a few times and I miss being able to make time move faster, but I really like the open world more than I did a smaller one like in Majora's Mask. The only thing I didn't like was that Link and Zelda barely knew each other, which leads to my new favorite.
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
I'm sorry, I just have to make this my new favorite. The visuals, the characters, the plot, the weapons, the music, the origins of Ganon, why the Shiekah are loyal to the Royal Family, Zelda's powers, Link and Zelda's reincarnations and the Master Sword. My favorite aspect is the relationship between Link and Zelda being more developed, giving the goal of rescuing her more importance and I actually want to see him be reunited with her. I like the romantic angle they went with them and the looks on Link's face, especially when it comes to Zelda. Usually people say Link is a blank slate for the player when I bring up that I like him over Kratos, but the reason I call him a better character is because actions the character does in game define him more than the player's perception. In this case, his reactions to seeing Zelda harmed or in danger show him to be a force of pure will defying fate and nature itself to be with her. For this and more, this became my new favorite.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I can only go with the ones I've beaten.

6. Wind Waker - I enjoyed the art, Ganondorf and Medli, but I mostly found it mediocre for a Zelda game.
5. Twilight Princess - I didn't really like the ending to the story, however, I really enjoyed the dungeons and had fun playing.
4. Ocarina of Time - I enjoyed everything in the game, just felt it was too similar to many other Zelda games in storyline.
3. A Link to the Past - I enjoyed it about the same as Ocarina of Time, but a little bit more. It's also the original classic Zelda story.
2. Skyward Sword - I loved the dungeons, and the characters. I loved the story as well, I felt the story had more potential though.
1. Majora's Mask - I loved everything about this game. The side quests, the items, the dungeons, the story, the 3 day stuff, everything.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
All right, here are mine:

1. Majora's Mask- This is my favorite because it is one of the more unique games in the series. Unlike OoT, it has a sense of urgency, like the world is actually going to end if you don't do something fast. (Thumbs up for Majora's Mask 3DS
2. Ocarina of Time- Well, duh.
3. Skyward Sword- Although it has only been out for a little while, SS has made a lasting impression on me. I'll be waiting to see how Nintendo tops this game.
4. The Wind Waker- Yes, I've already heard the crap about how WW is a terrible game because it's cartoonish and childish. Well you can shut that up, because WW was one of the first Zelda games I ever played, and I absolutely loved it.
5. Twilight Princess- I personally think that this is one of the more beautiful Zelda games as far as the art style. It's very dark and realistic, almost gruesome. I'm not sure how you could reproduce it and make it seem "new," though...
6. Spirit Tracks- Mainly because this game succeeded where Phantom Hourglass failed.
7. Phantom Hourglass- The first Zelda game I ever played. It's what got me into the series that I'm still playing today.
8. A Link To The Past- This game really resonated with me. It gave me the feeling like I was going back to the basics.
9. Adventure of Link- The 2D side scrolling action was a pain, but it was more challenging and made the game more combat oriented.
10. LoZ- This game defines "adventure." When it comes to exploration games, it has no rival.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
My top 10 (I have not played either Oracle game, so they will not be on the list)
10. The Adventure of Link
9. Link's Awakening
8. Spirit Tracks
7. The Minish Cap
6. The Wind Waker
5. A Link to the Past
4. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
1. Skyward Sword

My top ten Zelda games are
1.Wind waker