• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Your Zelda Story

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
Hey everyone :) I was just wondering what your story is, like how Zelda came into your life or whatever. There's gotta be someone with a cool story. Mine's pretty generic I think. When I was about 6 or 7 (I think) my older brother's friend gave us his old N64, along with a bunch of games. One of which was OoT. It was my favorite game at that age, and I played it all the time, though I was pretty terrible, but I loved watching my brothers play (Especially the spirit temple, that was fun to watch). Eventually my bro got TP for his GameCube, which I played till I beat it, again and again. As soon as I found out about emulators and ROMS, I played the heck outa other games. Then I got SS as soon as it came out. Sadly I just recently moved to the uk from America, so I don't have any games anymore, but I'll restock :) Anyway, what's your Zelda story?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
As a kid I had mainly Playstation consoles; I had the first when I was 4 and the second installation [the PS2] when I was 7. So the only Nintendo console I had growing up was the Nintendo Gameboy Advance. Unfortunately I never really got into the series properly until later on.

Luckily enough my friend was a big Nintendo fan when he was growing up, and he owned a few Zelda titles, so I would go round to his and play them. Even though I had never fully owned a Zelda game during my early childhood, I was aware of the franchise, I had played it, and I was fond of it.

Anyway fast forward to 2007, I owned a Nintendo DS and I saw a new game - Phantom Hourglass. It looked cool and it was my first chance to buy a Zelda game, so I did just that. All in all I was captivated by this game, it was fun, charming, Interesting, but it also tested me unlike other games have failed to do. It wasn't in your face challenging, but challenging in a subtle way; it made me think more.

After I had completed that game I set out to buy a Wii for Christmas of that year and then set my sights upon Twilight Princess. My friend had told me about this game, I had seen the epic trailers, I wanted it. First couple of hours in I was drawn into the characters and this fantasy adventure. Sure I loved PH, but this was on another level. It fast became one of my favourite games ever and I have been fond of this franchise ever since.

Last edited:
I've played every console game on or near release day since the first game. I was 5 when the Legend of Zelda was released in America in 1987 and since then I've been lucky enough to have played each installment when they arrived in the United States. I picked up an ALBW 3DS combo pack last November and also played through PH and ST. Starting last November, I have made it my goal to 100% every LoZ title, and I have completed 9 so far.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I'm similar to JC(c00lguy). I had a ps1 and played mainly Spyro, which was the first game I considered myself a fan of. My friend had a n64 and got hooked on OoT and MM. Tried them a few times but never got into them as much as she did, the n64 controller was too different from the ps1 controller. I constantly had to look at it to find certain buttons and it just felt awkward.

So after listening to my friend's praises for Zelda games for years, I finally decided to get my own copy of one. I got TP for my new at the time wii, and I loved it.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
I remember owning a Gameboy when I was six and I also had a copy of LA though I'm not sure where it came from. Aside from her name at the beginning I never knew why it was called the Legend of Zelda and honestly I didn't really care, because the game was awesome and I played the heck out of it. (Beat without dying first time!) There was just something about the mystery surrounding the games darker elements that really drew me in and the shock I felt when I learn the Island was a dream cannot be described.

Years later we got a Wii for Christmas with TP, super Mario Galaxy and football. So of course I went with what looked like a cool adventure game (I also thought the wolf and Minda were the bad guys of the game because of the back of the box) That was the first time I learned what Links name was and I played the game all the time, was my favorite back then and still is one of them now. Then when we went to FL on a vacation (We lived in MT at the time) we stopped by my cousins who was addicted to Video Games and who happened to be playing WW at the time. I only had a day to play it and had just gotten the sword when we had to leave, going to different cousins house where I played SSBM and saw Link again. Kinda intrigued me that he had so many different forums, sadly I didn't find another copy of either game.

Some time later when I was at Heart Surgery in Seattle I was staying at a Ronald McDonald house and guess what I found-WW AND SSBM!!! Despite owning three of the games and smash bros I didn't make the connection between each having Link and Zelda (Save LA) until My oldest sister Pe-ordered SS for my B-day! That was the game that got my into Gaming as a hobby, thanks to the ending of the game I finally made sense of the other Zelda games I played and I eventally learned about the other games and made it my gaol to play all of them. So far so good, just the Four Swords and ALBW to go!

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
My uncle had an N64 (which I still have to this day). By the time I was 3, I started playing OoT but stopped playing it because it scared the **** outta me. 8 years later I bought a used copy from a trading store because I lost my gold cart from before. Started playing OoT again and beat it. Then I got into the other games and kaboom! I became a Zelda fan.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well my dad bought my mom an N64 for Christmas in 1998, the year Ocarina of Time came out, and she played it, and I was 1 and I would sit and watch her. And so then I would play... And then we bought Majora's Mask. And she had the Oracles, and Link's Awakening, and sooo I played them :P And that's pretty much it

Salem

SICK
When I was really young, my uncle got the game Zelda alttp for the SNES, I wasn't very good at it at first, but it got me hooked at the series.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
When I was pretty young, around 4, my family bought a GameCube. My dad got himself a few games; one of which was The Wind Waker. I would sit there and watch him run around as the little green hero and occasionally tell him what to do. Eventually my dad got to the final battle against Ganondorf, of which he could not beat. (How embarrassing!) I am pretty sure he just gave up after awhile until he had to deploy. While he was gone, I played the game and loved it. I didn't play any other game until Twilight Princess came out. I thought it looked cool, and being familiar with the series, bought it. Loved this game so much. By this point I knew I liked Zelda, but it wasn't until after I beat skyward sword and discovered this website that I actually became a fan. I began to play with emulators and roms and watched videos until I knew everything there is to know bout Zelda.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I think I was 8 or 9 years old when I got my N64. Though the first game I got was Diddy Kong Racing (oh sweet nostalgia :)) I remember wanting Ocarina of Time from the moment I first read about it. The game was magical. I could hardly read any English and remember it took my a whole day of playing to find the Kokiri Sword. I took me some time to finish Inside the Deku Tree and after I finished it, it felt like I already experienced a great adventure.

Then came that awesome moment where you leave for the castle to meet princess Zelda. That moment when I first set foot on Hyrule Field was simply magical. My mind was blown. So many placed to explore, so many things to do. At that moment I fell in love with the series!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
When I first saw Zelda, I absolutely knew that I would NEVER play it. The game had no jump button and was an adventure game, something I couldn't get into. I could, however, get into a hero with a sword, shield and cool gadgets, so when Smash Bros came out, I always chose Link. When Melee came out, I continued to choose Link, but then I noticed Zelda was a playable character. Up to this point, I had though Zelda was just a fancy word the put in the title, but seeing she was a character confused me. So I asked my brother...

"If Link is the main character and Zelda is the princess, why are the games called the Legend of Zelda?"

Rather than explain, my brother went to get his long forgotten MM cartridge and put it in the 64. He told me that I would absolutely love the game. And he was right. When I saw that little boy in a skirt running around solving puzzles, I was beyond fascinated. Like... the absolute highest form of that video game "wow" you rarely feel when you play a game for the first time. And I was a natural at it too, solving puzzles like I had been playing the game for a good while. But I still couldn't get used to the controls, so my brother played while I told him what to do. I begged my brother to let me borrow the game so I could start my own adventure and get used to the controls. And the rest is history.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmm well I was pretty late. I discovered LoZ only in 2008 so that's not that long ago. It started with SSBB. I played a couple of Mario games and everybody was talking about SSBB how great it was etc. So I bought it and played it myself and everytime I faced Link. I heard that name before so I asked my sister who Link was and she told me he was a LoZ character and from the same person(s) who created Mario. So I checked Link out on wikipedia. I owned a DS and decided to buy a LoZ game which was PH. I liked the game and bought TP for the wii and then I checked for more games. That's how I entered the world of Zelda or maybe I should say the world of Zelda entered my life :D

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It all started for me when I was three. My family was moving from one state to another. Once we got to the state I live in now my parents rented a apartment for about a month, then they bought a house. When we moved into the house my dad went out and bought a really big tv, at that time, and a N64 with some games. One day I was playing around with the console when my dad went to work and my mom went to drop my older sister off at school. I managed to get the console to work and found myself playing Ocarnia of Time. So I can say OoT was the first videogame I ever played. Later my cousins let me borrow Majora's mask, then my dad bought it himself. We never got a lot of the handheld games, mostly just the console games. Now I have almost every game, or have played almost everygame. Ocarina of Time is the game that hooked me, Majora's mask is what made me a fan of the series for life.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The first Nintendo console I owned was a DS Lite. Prior to this, I had played Nintendo games, but nothing much outside the Super Smash Bros. and Mario games my friends and extended family happened to own. I did follow the Pokemon anime vigorously, collect the playing cards and play a lil' bit of Pokemon Stadium, but that's as far as my Nintendo experience went for the time.

Naturally, as more Super Smash Bros. was played, I grew more curious of the franchises I was unfamiliar with. Zelda was one of these, and this lead to playing Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass, with many more following.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
phone conversation - early January said:
Friend: Hey. I got the new Zelda game for Christmas.
Me: The new what?
Friend: Zelda. Didn't you play it?
Me: Was that the one with the stupid commercial?
Friend: ... yeah. Anyway, ask your mom to give you a ride. We still need to beat Contra anyway [parenthetically, we never finished Contra without the cheat despite attempts well into the 1990s]

Later...

Conversation - Two despondent youths said:
Me: *sigh* Is it supposed to be this hard?
Friend: dang...
Me: [shouting] NO! OW! GET YOUR ORANGE ARMOR AWAY FROM ME!

Later...

After ragequitting (before that's what it was called) said:
Friend: I should have asked for a different game...

Auspicious beginnings to be certain. I barely played Zelda again until LttP (after which I revisited and finally conquered all the fear and self-loathing induced by The Adventure of Link). While I've only ever genuinely loved a few entries in the series - LttP, Minish Cap, and the aforementioned AoL (mostly because it rejected me so completely). I still buy the games with the hope that the next one is going to light the spark again. GJ, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom