• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Wallet Is Full...

Sheik

:the:
In some Zelda titles, you have a wallet. Its function is to limit the amount of Rupees you can carry at a time. Several games out there, not just Zelda, have a feature similar to this (or at least a defined limit of how much of an in-game currency you can carry at once).

Personally, I find this feature a bit frustrating in certain situations. Sometimes, my wallet is full, and I come across a treasure chest. What's inside? Rupees. All along I was hoping it would be something really valuable, like a Heart Piece, but it's just Rupees. What's worse, those Rupees would have been valuable if I hadn't been given a limit on how many I could carry.

So what do you think about the wallet system? Like it? Hate it? Do you even care at all? Speak.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I dislike the early limits in some zelda games on your wallet. Granted i understand it full well but those who've played OOT know you can easily get the Giants wallet before Adulthood yet it doesn't carry over in MM. Which is really annoying you can get both Bomb Bags early on as well before adult hood but those don't carry over which suuuucks. In some games i can see it as a good use when we are limited in rupees it stops us getting the awesome stuff earlier but it is a hindrence.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I think limits on your money are extremely silly. What is the point at all? Just makes things more frustrating.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Psalm 120:1 "I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me."
What's worse, those Rupees would have been valuable if I hadn't been given a limit on how many I could carry.

The same thing happens to me. I think the limit system is in place just so you have a bigger wallet to get. It's like an RPG aspect.
Lengthens the lifetime of the game. Nobody wants to collect the Skulltulas if you don't get anything. This makes it so you WANT
to get the Skulltulas (in reference to OOT.) Sometimes, it prevents you from getting items, like in Wind Waker, you have to access the fairy islands before you can get a bigger wallet, which stops you from buying certain powerful items (or some of Tingle's annoying maps.)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I find it rather stupid. The currency system in Zelda games has always been bad, I can't think of one game where it was actually beneficial and gave an economical feel to the game. Thing is, you get so many Rupees and you have virtually nothing to spend it on.

The series seems to have two categories of purchasable items: the essentials and the expensive. The essentials, things like potions, hearts, arrows, magic etc. are useful to those who need them; however, they're so cheap that it kind of takes away from the struggle. And then you have a large jump to the expensive items, some of these are just plain useless. So you have too many Rupees, a limited wallet amount, and nothing to spend your Rupees on.

Bethesda games seem to excel in their respective currency systems, so I'd love to see some sort inspiration taken from those games. It's simple really, don't have a limited wallet and have a plethora of items to spend on with some essential to survival. Rupees need to feel important.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Its only annoying in games where rupees have a use, like TWW or Skyward Sword. In games like OoT however, it's a different story.

I find it rather stupid. The currency system in Zelda games has always been bad, I can't think of one game where it was actually beneficial and gave an economical feel to the game. Thing is, you get so many Rupees and you have virtually nothing to spend it on.

The series seems to have two categories of purchasable items: the essentials and the expensive. The essentials, things like potions, hearts, arrows, magic etc. are useful to those who need them; however, they're so cheap that it kind of takes away from the struggle. And then you have a large jump to the expensive items, some of these are just plain useless. So you have too many Rupees, a limited wallet amount, and nothing to spend your Rupees on.

Bethesda games seem to excel in their respective currency systems, so I'd love to see some sort inspiration taken from those games. It's simple really, don't have a limited wallet and have a plethora of items to spend on with some essential to survival. Rupees need to feel important.

Maybe not as much potions, but hearts, arrows and magic are so insanely easy to get it's a joke they would even sell them in-universe. Like in OoT the Kokiri store selling freaking sticks, when they live in a forest! Kills it for me a bit.

The reason it's so silly is because it offers little to no strategic element to the economy; placing a limit on the amount of money you can hold will never deter you from collecting as much of it as possible. It's only purpose is to provide reason to complete sidequests-- lazy design, in my opinion.

That said, I don't despise the concept of a wallet entirely; perhaps it could be a physical limitation-- i.e., it would only hold so many tangible rupees, regardless of value. This would introduce tension between the rupee as a collectible and its worth, making green rupees an inconvenience and purples a rare treasure. Or maybe that would just be annoying. Idk.

The reason it's so silly is because it offers little to no strategic element to the economy; placing a limit on the amount of money you can hold will never deter you from collecting as much of it as possible. It's only purpose is to provide reason to complete sidequests-- lazy design, in my opinion.

That said, I don't despise the concept of a wallet entirely; perhaps it could be a physical limitation-- i.e., it would only hold so many tangible rupees, regardless of value. This would introduce tension between the rupee as a collectible and its worth, making green rupees an inconvenience and purples a rare treasure. Or maybe that would just be annoying. Idk.
Collecting Rupees itself is fun, so I don't think something like that would really work. Every element of it is designed to reward the player. The little tone that plays when you pick them up, how they appear above your head for a moment… C'mon. I know many of you out there will go out of your way to grab up a single green rupee even when you've long been at your maximum.

To really get into this game design problem you have to look past the idea of a limit being annoying, and instead look to the fact that some of these games were not successful in giving you a reason to continually spend rupees. As I stated above, collecting them is fun but eventually you max out. That takes some of the point away. But look at aLBW. In the end game, it tells you how many rupees you collected. There are also many ways to spend your rupees, and they don't feel like a contrivance. What's more, it's possible to buy a Golden Bee for 9,999, the in-game limit to your wallet in 'Between Worlds'. This allows you to get totally full up, then drop to zero so you can collect them again. You're later rewarded for this with the aforementioned display of how many rupees you collected if you beat the game a second time.

Personally I've never had a problem with the wallet limit and collecting bigger wallets, because like in any adventure game it's a means of showing you the power level you're currently at. If you can't collect enough rupees for some expensive item then that's a subtle way the game has to show you you're not strong enough yet for one or more of its challenges.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
In some Zelda titles, you have a wallet. Its function is to limit the amount of Rupees you can carry at a time. Several games out there, not just Zelda, have a feature similar to this (or at least a defined limit of how much of an in-game currency you can carry at once).

Personally, I find this feature a bit frustrating in certain situations. Sometimes, my wallet is full, and I come across a treasure chest. What's inside? Rupees. All along I was hoping it would be something really valuable, like a Heart Piece, but it's just Rupees. What's worse, those Rupees would have been valuable if I hadn't been given a limit on how many I could carry.

So what do you think about the wallet system? Like it? Hate it? Do you even care at all? Speak.
I hate it. In games like fallout and skyrim you can carry as much coin or caps as you can find. I'd rather it was more like that and just had a better pricing system where players can get really valuable items if they take the time to collect loads of rupees.

I've never seen a particular use for the money limit in Zelda games. I'm imagining that it is the game just trying to depict the physical limitation of carrying the rupees, though Link always carries an unrealistic amount of things anyway. Or maybe they always want you worry about managing your money by capping how much of it you can have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom