• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your unpopular gaming opinions

I think having opinions shows strength in character, you have your own sense of self to decide what you do and don't like and stick with those convictions.

Even if you agree with a majority, your reasons are your own and that can be a wonderful thing.

However, sometimes you may have an unpopular opinion...

Keeping this focussed on video games; what are some of your unpopular opinions?

Do you think Final Fantasy 7 is trash?

Is Sonic 06 not so bad?

Is Other M the pinnacle of narrative storytelling in gaming? (Ouch, it hurts to even joke with that one).

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think OoA was better than OoS.
I agree. Give me that swish swish mermaid suit any day of the week.

I have a few unpopular opinions but I suppose two of the most unpopular would be:

1. Half-life 2 is a bad game
I feel I could do a three-part video essay series on why this is true, but the bullet points are: the core combat gameplay is some of the worst in any first-person game ever due to lack of enemy variety, bad enemy AI, a small weapon sandbox stuffed with dull weapons of limited function, all resulting in a total lack of strategic options; some of the worst storytelling in a video game with a narrative presentation that rejects cutscenes but indulges in locking the player in small rooms while the rest of the cast go through the story (with Valve even providing whimsical distractions for players on repeat playthroughs because the designers know you will be bored in these, functionally, unskippable cutscenes); a silent protagonist who is canonically silent in-universe which destroys any meaningful inter-character relationships; and huge sections of padding (i.e. the vehicle sections) which offer nothing but tedium and frustration without even the good grace to take place in interesting environments. Also the Gravity Gun is just throwing things and is only interesting in Ravenholm when you have projectiles to use with it that produce unique results (the saw blades).

2. Resident Evil 6 is a great game
People said games were too short so RE6 gave us four distinct campaigns in one game (well, three and a half since Ada's overlaps with all the others almost entirely). People said RE combat was too archaic and stilted so they expanded the movement options and incorporated the gunplay into it seamlessly, allowing for more maneuverability and options in minute-to-minute gameplay, leaving the player more in control of their actions than in almost any other third-person shooter to date. People said AI companions are idiots so RE6 developed the AI partners to make them actually useful and not a nuisance (cough Sheva cough). People said they loved Mercenaries from RE4 and 5 so RE6 brought it back but with arenas specifically designed with it in mind (instead of recycled locations from the main game) which made for a more fluid and exciting incarnation of an already exciting game mode. People said they liked good graphics so RE6 was made to look gorgeous. People said they liked Matt Mercer so he was cast as fan-favourite Leon Kennedy. People said they liked RE for its characters so they wrote a story that actually focused on those characters and their specific conflicts with the 'Evil corporate monster mash' as the frame, not the focus. And then everyone said they hated RE6.

Well not me. I loved it. It's my second favourite RE game (after RE3) and I will continue to watch Ada crawl in leather pants while other people play obviously inferior games.

Bonus. Sonic was never good
You heard me.

2. Resident Evil 6 is a great game
People said games were too short so RE6 gave us four distinct campaigns in one game (well, three and a half since Ada's overlaps with all the others almost entirely). People said RE combat was too archaic and stilted so they expanded the movement options and incorporated the gunplay into it seamlessly, allowing for more maneuverability and options in minute-to-minute gameplay, leaving the player more in control of their actions than in almost any other third-person shooter to date. People said AI companions are idiots so RE6 developed the AI partners to make them actually useful and not a nuisance (cough Sheva cough). People said they loved Mercenaries from RE4 and 5 so RE6 brought it back but with arenas specifically designed with it in mind (instead of recycled locations from the main game) which made for a more fluid and exciting incarnation of an already exciting game mode. People said they liked good graphics so RE6 was made to look gorgeous. People said they liked Matt Mercer so he was cast as fan-favourite Leon Kennedy. People said they liked RE for its characters so they wrote a story that actually focused on those characters and their specific conflicts with the 'Evil corporate monster mash' as the frame, not the focus. And then everyone said they hated RE6.

Well not me. I loved it. It's my second favourite RE game (after RE3) and I will continue to watch Ada crawl in leather pants while other people play obviously inferior games.

Bonus. Sonic was never good
You heard me.

I love you :)

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Sonic Adventure 2 is a bad game
The controls are weird and slow. I never liked the 3D spin dash, so a game where that's almost required for speed charactwrs is not a fun time. The voice acting is also terrible, with few exceptions (RIP Deem Bristow). While the story concept is actually really good, there's nothing about the writing that stands out as particularly interesting.

Batman and Robin is a good movie
It wasn't trying to be a "great" movie at all. It was designed as a fun popcorn flick full of over the top acting, cheesy one liners, and all the rest. George Clooney has great comedic timing. Overall, it was a fun time that succeeded in doing exactly what it set out to do, even if it isn't what most people would call a "Batman movie" (I know its not gaming but it needed to be said)

The RPG Genre as a whole needs to start taking less from Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy is a good series. I'll support that. 1 was a great game, and the others look good from an outsiders perspective. However, the genre just steals too much from it. The formula grows stale if you literally have an entire engine (RPG Maker) that had produced thousands of games with the exact same gameplay. It's just gotten so... boring. It's one if the reasons I love Fire Emblem and Pokemon. They're so different gameplay-wise. While I understand that there are lots of "different" RPGs, it's still prominent enough where the team-based RPG format is one of the most common types. It's starting to fall to the wayside though. I suggest we keep it that way.

Quin

Disaster Master
Super Paper mario is my favorite Paper Mario

Super Mario 3D world is one of the best 3D mario games.

Mario kart 64 is one of the worst mario kart games. (not saying its bad)

Donkey Kong Country 1 is my favorite of the bunch

All I can think off at the moment.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Mario kart 64 is one of the worst mario kart games. (not saying its bad)
7lWjDiH.png

funnier6

Courage~
Wow this should be fun. :)

I liked Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight, and Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood. BOOM. I’ve played a little of classic Sonic but it was pretty eh. I feel the same about classic Mario so probably a me thing. I also like SS! :D Though tbh I can’t even remember why I just know I did until I joined here lol. Smash 4 sucks, at least compared to Brawl. I like the Wonderful 101. I like TFH, I did not like Pokémon X, I love Super Paper Mario, I like pretty much every game with the word Zelda in it except ALBW which would be a really good game if alttp didn’t already exist. I don’t like Minecraft at all but I love Terraria, I think that’s all but I might think of some more and add them in.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Sonic Adventure 2 is a bad game
The controls are weird and slow. I never liked the 3D spin dash, so a game where that's almost required for speed charactwrs is not a fun time. The voice acting is also terrible, with few exceptions (RIP Deem Bristow). While the story concept is actually really good, there's nothing about the writing that stands out as particularly interesting.
ok,here's where we get into the area of whats unpopular and what's not,b/c my unpopular opinion was that I enjoyed adventure 1 & 2 even today, despite the general consensus being that those games are trash, so from where I stand that's far from an unpopular opinion

another is that mario kart double dash is overrated as balls, even as a kid I never thought that the game was all that [bear in mind this was my first mario kart], I genuinely think every mario kart that came after was better than double dash

also I like brawl more than melee, from a non-competitive view though

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
SS is a great game.

Mario Odyssey is decent, but not great

Wind Waker isn't THAT great

TP is the best Zelda (Not unpopular, but somewhat uncommon)

Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft

The original Zelda was pretty easy (Zelda II however is crazy hard for me)

OoA > OoS

As a series I like Sonic more than Mario (Mario Maker however was amazing) (Yes most of the later Sonics were trash garbage)

Brawl was the worst Smash (Apparently that's an unpopular opinion, but not where I live)

Hmmm... Maybe I'll think of more later

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
  • Batman: Arkham Knight > Batman: Arkham City
  • The DmC reboot was great.
  • Sonic Forces isn't that terrible.
  • Valve is overrated.
  • The Uncharted series is overrated.
  • Majora's Mask is overrated.
  • Skyward Sword is a great game.
  • Resident Evil 7 is terrible.
  • Spider-Man 2 isn't the best Spider-Man game.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I like Dragon Age 2. Frankly, I don't really care anymore. But when I did I liked Dragon Age 2. I get some fan complaints and I think others are simply bogus. Wut? Reused level assets in a Bioware game? In what universe? This one? GET OUT!

Nothing about DA2 bugs me. I like its story. It's functionally superior to most rpg narratives. It's a helluva lot better than its predecessor's story I'll give it that. I sure enjoy more of its characters than its predecessor. Yeah the combat is hacky slashy and sloppy and random and dumb, but when has a Bioware production ever had decent combat since Baldur's Gate? Everyone always thought Anders was annoying. Wut? Compared to Minsc? The Bioware original everyone fawns over? They describe Anders as a mopey emo git. Wut? For being frustrated at the way mages are treated? Which is a major point of conflict in the narrative! I think they have him mistaken for Fenris, who is the only character I can't stand with the possible exception of Meril who I adore at times.

For that matter, I like Inquisition as well.

Yeah, DA2 is no gem but it's no diamond in the rough either. It surely isn't a bad game and no it's not inferior to DA:O which really isn't all it's cracked up to be to begin with.

Ninja

Well well well
Final Fantasy 13's combat system was fun to play, and it was overall a great game despite its linearity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom