• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Top 5 Games of 2017

I've been doing threads like these for the past couple of years, and with 2017 being such a fantastic year for gaming, I definitely wanted to make another one now that the year is almost over.

The launch of the Switch was a big deal for Nintendo fans, with some of the best 1st party games we've had in a long time being right behind it, but it was also a great year for games outside of the Nintendo fandom. If you didn't play five noteworthy games, feel free to post your top three or whatever. Here's mine:

(I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet, unfortuantely. It would undoubtedly have a spot on this list if I did because I'm such a huge fan of the series, but I'll have to wait until Christmas to give it a try.)

5.) Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)

- FFXII gets overlooked almost entirely because it doesn't fit the "modern Final Fantasy sucks" narrative, but I was a big fan of the game even back during its original launch on the PS2. It had some glaring issues that kept it out of the top of my list of my favorites in the series, but it was still very enjoyable. Zodiac Age not only updates the whole thing for the PS4, but finally gives North American players the zodiac job system that is superior to the original in every single way. I had a great time playing through it again for the first time in nearly a decade.

4.) Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

- As one of the five people on earth that's played through the original Metroid II multiple times, this remake gave me everything I could have asked for from the return of 2D Metroid. Mercury Steam exceeded nearly all expectations, and I truly believe they've earned a crack at their own, fully original 2D Metroid game. The 3DS is in its final stages of life, but Samus Returns was an excellent addition to its already outstanding library.

3.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

- The fact that this game is only third on the list is a testament to how outstanding gaming was in 2017. This game being in third isn't a knock on it at all - after all these months, I'm still blown away by what it did and how it reinvented the 3D side of the franchise in a way that it desperately needed. The emphasis on the vertical component of the world in tandem with the survival motifs made for what is probably my favorite Zelda game of all time (something I never thought I would say due to nostalgia with OoT and TP).

2.) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

- Like Zelda, this is probably my new favorite 3D Mario game of all time, something that's crazy to think about when I realize both of these games were released before the Switch was even a full year old. I'm still thinking about whether or not it ultimately beats out Mario Galaxy as my hands-down favorite, but Odyssey is a game I can't really find any flaw in without relentless nitpicking. If BotW wasn't a reason to own a Switch before, I think Odyssey most definitely is.

1.) Persona 5 (PS4)

- This game reminded me of when I first dived into the Metal Gear franchise for the first time a few years ago; I had no idea what I was missing out on. My newfound love of the Metal Gear series led me to considering MGSV: The Phantom Pain to be my favorite game of 2015, and history is repeating itself for me with the Persona franchise. Persona 5's ability to make a turn-based battle system feel completely fresh, new, and exciting was enough to make me love it, but the fact that all of its other elements managed to captivate me for nearly 80 hours without a break is proof that, deep down, I loved this game the more than any other in 2017. It looks like Persona doesn't get new entries that often, but I'm officially on board for a Persona 6 whenever it happens.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
Okay let's see...
#5 Switch/ PS4/ PS3/ etc. Puyo Puyo Tetris (I got it in 2017)
#4 3DS Pokemon Ultra Sun
#3 Wii U/ Switch LoZ: BotW
#2 PS4 Persona 5
#1 PC/XboxOne/PS4 (just pick one) A Hat In Time

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
  1. Super Mario Odyssey - Loved the design, the sound, and the interesting puzzles. I've spent a fair amount of time playing already, and expect to play many more hours in 2018.
  2. Cuphead - Just got a hold of this game a few days ago, but I'm loving it so far. Not as huge a fan of the platforming sections, but I'm a sucker for the theming and boss battles. If I stay up until 3am playing a game and I'm not tired of it the next day, it deserves its spot on the list.
  3. Sonic Mania: I've always loved the classic Sonic games, and finally got around to beating most of them a few months ago. Sonic Mania is a great return to that era with lots of classic nods, a beautiful gameplay engine, and an obviously modernized but still loyal design. Not sure if this or Cuphead deserves the secondary spot.
  4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - Only my third Fire Emblem game, but maybe my favorite so far. Only one on this list I've actually completed (except for the post game, since I left it at home when I went to my parents house for Christmas). The Fire Emblem franchise as a whole is an interesting RPG series that is very different from the generic Final Fantasy setup that a lot of RPGs seem to follow.
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Admittedly, I didn't give this game the chance it deserves. Still great, but it can be boring and repetitive at times, so it isn't worthy of the top slot in my mind.
Other 2017 games I played (in no particular order):
  • Splat2n
  • Bendy and the Ink Machine
  • Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria Simulator
  • Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
  • Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
Edited becayse how tf did I forget Mania?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

This isn't just my favorite game of this year, it's my favorite video game period now. The exploration, the physics engine, the gameplay, the art style, the music, the sheer creativity of how you can tackle anything in any way you can think of... it all comes together to create my favorite Zelda experience. I have 815+ hours with it, and hundreds of those hours were spent just having fun, making my own adventures in the overworld. I love this game very dearly.

2. Monster Hunter XX (Switch)

This is a game I've been waiting for for a while. And sadly, it still hasn't been localized, so I imported it since the Switch is not region locked. You would think that playing a game in a language I can't read would be ridiculously tedious, but in truth, it's really not. I'm extremely familiar with the menus after 800+ hours of MHGen, and Kiranico is a useful guide to breach the language barrier. After a while, you just kind of remember where and what everything is. The game itself is the best Monster Hunter experience I've had yet; the gameplay is very fluid and smooth, and the new styles and hunter arts are a ton of fun to use. The new and returning monsters make G rank a great challenge, and the new deviants are incredible.

3. Monster Hunter Stories (3DS)

Another MonHun game, this one a spin-off. I enjoyed this more than I ever thought I would, especially considering it's turn-based. The combat is simple on the surface, but the more you progress, the more skills you unlock and the more you need to be aware of as the battles go on. The art style is adorable, and I must say I've never been able to create my ocs in a character creator anywhere near as accurately as I have in this game. It's very charming and fun, and probably the most faithful spin off I've ever played.

4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)

This was my first FE game. The idea of moving sprites around on a map as the bulk of the game + it being turn based REALLY turned me off from the series for a long time, though I was always intrigued by the stories and characters. This particular installment came with free roam dungeon crawling, so I decided that might be enough to get me through the turn based map parts. And it was; if the game didn't have those free roam dungeons, I would definitely not have liked it nearly as much as I do, even despite battles in said dungeons still being turn based. The story was very good and got me emotional at times, and I really got invested in the characters. I'm not really one for strategy games, but it did feel good to pull off some close victories. And the music, boy was it phenomenal. Fantastic game overall.

5. Miitopia (3DS)

When THREE turn based games make it into my top 5 for the whole year you KNOW they were good despite the handicap of being turn based. Miitopia had no exploration to speak of, and as always with turn based games, the combat got stale after a while. However, what really made this game shine was pure fun. It was a goddamn trip to turn every single npc and playable character into a Mii. I made ten of my ocs as the main cast, and I used random ones such as Reggie as the King and Groose as the Besmirched Noble's Son. I even started with Nicholas Cage as the Dark Lord. There was more content than I ever imagined there would be, and I mean a LOT more. It was just so much fun that the stale gameplay and lack of exploration didn't seem to matter. That is NOT something that can be said about many games.

#1 being the best in my opinion.

1. Breath Of the Wild
2. Blaster Master Zero
3. Yooka-Laylee
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Persona 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would easily be in the top 10. It's not as good as the WiiU game but it's still top 10 worthy.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
ah yes,my top 5 games of 2017,here we go

1.Xenoblade 2
2.Super mario Odyssey
3.Blaster Master Zero
4. that 20 minutes of Persona 5 I've played
5.probably Shantae once I download it

.....oh yeah,I barley even played any modern games this year

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Nier: Automata
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
YS VIII: The Lacrimosa of Dana.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Not many games interested me this year, I just got a PS4 and I don’t have a switch yet so that’s my top 5 because only 2 qualify for me.

I did also play Mass Effect: Andromeda, Outlast 2, and Destiny 2 but all 3 of those games are god awful and all were a waste of money in my opinion.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
One is the top game. I am counting new games that I played in 2017, not only games released in 2017

1- Skyrim (Switch). I got this for my first time on release day for my Switch. It's by far the best game of the year for me, even though it's not even new anymore.

2- Breath of the Wild (Wii U). Even though there isn't a very interesting story, the world to explore is just SOO big. If only Skyrim had climbing mechanics like Breath of The Wild (Skyrim has none).

3- Smash (3ds). Now, I know that I've played this game way before 2017, but I've discovered it in a whole new light recently, and I've only bought 4 games that I'd never played this whole year, and my #5 will be that last one, even though it sucked...

4- Splatoon 2 (Switch). I loved Splatoon 1, so when number 2 was announced, I made sure I was getting number 2. The sad thing is, I don't really play it much. I'm REALLY good at it, but don't play it almost at all...

5- MK8D (Switch). If it wasn't on the list by default, it wouldn't be on here. I really wish I had never bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom