• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Top 5 Games of 2015

Now that 2015 is all but over, it's that time where people start looking back on the year and deciding what they thought were the most impressive games out of what they were able to play. I never really liked "Game of the Year" discussions that focus on a single game, so I thought it would be better to have more of a top 5 or top 10. Here's my personal opinion from what I've played (I unfortunately didn't play many high-profile games such as Witcher 3 or Fallout 4):

5.) Freedom Planet

I don't play games via PC much at all since my setup is so worthless, so I was really glad to finally be able to try this one out on the Wii U. I feel like if Sonic had stayed on this path in some capacity, be it handheld or mobile gaming, the series would be in much better health than it currently finds itself in after Lost World and Rise of Lyric. Freedom Planet is pretty much all a platformer junkie like me could ask for - a take on a classic formula that's very familiar and yet new at the same time, and incredibly entertaining throughout.

It's worth saying this is the second year in a row where an indie game has cracked my top 5. Looks like a good sign to me.

4.) Batman: Arkham Knight

Although it's the worst of the Arkham series in a lot of ways, I'm still incredibly happy with the conclusion of the entire thing. It really does feel like the definitive Batman experience - a massive Gotham, almost every major villain in the book (with some surprises), the Batmobile, and a story that feels like a true conclusion in a very grandiose fashion. 100%-ing this one was a pain just due to the Riddler puzzles, but I don't regret buying my PS4 for this game at all.

3.) Super Mario Maker

This is one of those games where you'll either whole-heatedly agree with it being a top 5 pick, or you're still wondering why some people think it's so great. As I said above, I absolutely adore a good platformer, with some of my favorite games (Mario, Mega Man X, Metroid) having their roots in solid platforming concepts and ideas. Super Mario Maker is a classic Mario fan's heaven, with unlimited possibilities and levels to constantly experience. I've sunk way more hours into this than I could have ever imagined, and I see myself coming back to it throughout 2016 as well.

2.) Xenoblade Chronicles X

This is everything I could have possibly asked for as the follow-up to Xenoblade. All of Xenoblade's best qualities to me (massive worlds, a modern battle system reminiscent of past JRPGs, and a focus on forging your own path) have been greatly improved on in the sequel to the point where I definitely think it's superior to its predecessor. I've put about 40 hours in, and I don't think I'm even half way done with the story yet. I probably will never 100% the game, but it's going to be a very long time until I put it down. I greatly recommend it to anyone who even remotely liked any sort of JRPG in the past.

1.) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

This was a series that I just got into like three months ago.... and boy, was I missing out. I wrote down all of my thoughts on the main series titles in the review thread (all of it very positive), and I'll definitely get to this one at some point, but for now, let me just say this: Phantom Pain is an absolute joy to play for me. It takes the best parts of Peace Walker (the advantages of the mission system and the base management) and improves the things that didn't work so well (cramped environments, lack of mission variety) to a degree that makes them seem like true gameplay enhancers. I was also completely hooked on the story - it's a dark tale about the realities of heroes and inspiration figures, and presents some very compelling twists and turns along the way.

So what's your top 5? I couldn't really do a top 10 since I didn't play many new games this year, sadly.

1: Witcher 3
2: Fallout 4.

I'm guessing MGS5 could be #1 when I get around to playing it. Ground Zeros was amazing.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
"omg bok you put fallout over the witcher? What a ****ty unpopular opinion, you're such a troll"

Lol, but seriously, here's my list:

5.Metal Gear Solid V
4.Super Mario Maker
3.Splatoon
2.Xenoblade Chronicles X

1. Triforce Heroes (suck it)

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
5. Fallout 4
Being one of those people who wasn't a fan of Fallout 3 or New Vegas, I was oddly amped for this game. Picked it up day 1, and do not regret a thing. Its been a pure joy to play even though it has many, many glaring problems. Its one of those games that is more than the sum of its parts.

4. Rise of the Tomb Raider
Just started playing it, and oh boy the pacing is amazing. The set pieces are gorgeous. The puzzles are not too tough, but also not too easy, and I love how exploration is encouraged but not necessary. This is a linear action-adventure game done right.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest
Stunning visuals and style, and fantastic gameplay and puzzles. Easily one of the best platformers I've ever played.

2. Halo 5
Minus the terrible story, Halo 5 is the best shooter I've played this year. I've always hated twitchy FPS games where the person who shoots first, or the person with the better connection would win encounters, where one player can carry a team, running around like a goof with a modded up weapon. With dedicated servers, and more even balancing of weapons and teams, never has teamplay been so much more important. Its an easy game to pick, but takes time to master which makes it pretty good for newbies.

1. Witcher 3
Easily the best RPG in a long while. Blows Dragon Age Inquisition and Fallout 4 out of the water. From the characters, to the locations, to something always happening from point A to B (making you never want to fast-travel), to the story - Witcher 3 has a lot going for it, and it manages to do everything pretty damn well.

Honourable Mentions:
Cities Skylines
Until Dawn
Dying Light
Mortal Kombat X

In order, 1 being the best.

1. Captain Toad - WiiU

This game is simply amazing. It's Super Mario 3D minus jumping. This makes even the weakest enemy threatening. The way this game integrates the touchpad with the game is amazing. Sure other games use the gamepad well. This game on the other hand had me putting the gamepad vertically up infront of the TV and looking at both screens at once. This does work because you do not have action on both screens at once. Also using the gamepad's gyro to rotate the stage really helps too. Only a short game but oh so innovative.
    Only 20 hours at most to finish (apart from the broken and unfun grandmaster level), but it's the most fun 20 hours you'll have. Easily my No.1 game of 2015. It released early January 2015 in Australia so I can call it 2015.

2. Witcher 3 - Multi platform

On my list this and Xenoblade Chronicles X are equal. Witcher is the typical multiplatform 3D RPG. Nothing too revolutionary here. But it does everything so well. Almost flawless. This is prrof that fun can be had without anything too innovative if you get all the basics well done. Witcher did not get the basics well done. Witcher got the basics done to an amazing standard, better than just well done. Anyone into this genre of game really should play Witcher 3. Hardcore Nintendo fans (who are not really into other styles of games) could pass on this but for everyone else it's a must play.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X - WiiU

People call this game an RPG. Well it is, but a thinly veiled RPG. Xenoblade Chronicles X is really a world exploration game set to a backdrop of a futuristic RPG. People need to understand this when they paly Xenoblade Chronicles X. When they do, they will notice an amazing game. One of the most detailed, polished, loading screen free open worlds ever. Sure compromises had to happen to get it working on the WiiU.

I think of this game as being similar to Zelda Minish Cap. It's not as strange a comparison as you'd think. Minish Cap has Link doing everything (overworldwise) on one map. He slowly explores one map. Does quests and other things all within the confines of one map. It really works so well. The backtracking in Minish Cap didn't feel bad at all, because you were not travelling to earlier areas of the game. There was only one area/overworld (split into a few screens). Also because of this there was always somethnig to do no matter where on the map you were. Even travelling to other parts of the map, could net you items and other things.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is exactly the same. The only difference is the one Xenoblade Chronicles X is massive. 5 continents plus 6 areas in NLA. The blade barracks are special as that's it's own thing and multiplayer hub. But all the rest is just one massive map. You backtrack all the time in Xenoblade Chronicles X. But none of it feels bad as it's not a linear path. You can no many ways to your goal and you can always do things along the way.

Totally deserves to be on my best of 2015 list. As a world exploration game first and RPG 2nd.

4. Affordable Space Adventures - WiiU

The 2nd best dual screen experience of 2015. The best if you do not count Captain Toad as a 2015 game. Affordable Space Adventures maes you use both screens, gamepad and TV together in such a fun way. But not exactly at the same tine. You set up each move of the spaceship with the gamepad then execute it while watching the TV screen. The idea is genius. Even the multiplaer is great. It's the same as single player, but each player controlls a different aspect fo the ship. One player has ship movement. Another (wth the gamepad has the engine and power systems to run. A possible 3rd player can use the ship's flashlight (more important than it sounds). So all the players have to work together to avoid the obstacles.

This game was thought well outside the box. Innovation on overdrive here. Implimented to perfection. The only downside is the game is a little short. But the content the game has is truly amazing.

5. Cities Skylines - PC

Imagine Sim City 4, but improved in every way. This is Cities Skylines. An amazing city simulation game. Sure Sim City 2000 and Sim City 4 stand up as two of the genre's best games, Cities Skylines is totally an equal to them. Cities Skylines is what Sim City 5 should have been. Not really groundbreaking, but everything is so solid here and so well thought out that it deserves a place on this list. You can do whatever you want to, unlike in Sim City 5. Want more city land? Sure just buy it. Want a wonderfully detailed view of your city, far away or close in? Sure just do it in game. Want all the tools under the sun to make an amazing city? The game has them.

The downsides though, that the game is a little easy. It's hard to have your city go bankrupt or fail horrendously without even trying too. Also Sim City 4 has much more city events than Cities Skylines. But past these two issues the game is amazing.

Maxis had the title of developer of the best city simulation franchise. By a mountainslide. OPnce EA took over and made Sim City 5, that title has moved over to Colossal Order. For it's budget price this is well worth the money. Sure it's no Sim City 4. But Cities Skylines is not trying to be. It is its own game. I think after I finish as much of XCX as I want to I'll get Cities Skylines for OS X and play the heck out of it.

5. Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 has the best multiplayer in the series since Halo 3. Warzone is a great addition to the traditional Halo multiplayer experience. I have had a really great time returning to the multiplayer time and time again, something Halo 4 failed to do for me. Unfortunately, Halo 5's campaign is rather weak. You barely get to play as the Master Chief, and there is a certain boss that keeps repeating ad nauseam.

4. Super Mario Maker

I've had several ideas for my own Mario courses in my head since I was little, so it's nice to finally be able to create these levels and more. I actually didn't expect to put as much time into making levels for Super Mario Maker as I have. I got a bit bored with unlocking everything, even if it only required 15 minutes of fooling around with the latest unlocks. But once I had everything, I became obsessed with making a ton of levels. Playing levels isn't as fun, however, because there are so many trolls levels in 100 Mario Challenge.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'll admit that I have yet to complete the original Xenoblade Chronicles. I got sidetracked with other games, but I liked what I saw. Now in Xenoblade Chronicles X, I'm only a few chapters in, but the world has drawn me in completely. Exploring the vast open world of Mira is fun and addicting. I often find myself doing multiple sidequests before progressing with story missions. Having to survey a certain percentage of the world for story unlock requirements can be annoying, but the numerous missions lend themselves well to this delayed gratification.

2. The Witcher 3

The Witcher 3 takes a lot less risks than Xenoblade Chronicles X, but what it does is extremely polished and well done. It's a huge refinement over both of its predecessors. Like in Xenoblade, the sidequests can be more engrossing than the main story. Some of the characters can be stiff and hard to connect to, yet these few flaws do little to take away from the overall experience.

1. Splatoon

Splatoon is the most original shooter I've played since the original Bioshock and the best since Halo 3. The game is so much fun! It's hard to believe how much depth can result from the simple mechanics of spraying ink and turning into a squid. I was extremely skeptical about this game prior to its release. The missions seemed like a way to lock content behind an Amiibo paywall, and the mere five maps at launch were a paltry selection. But Nintendo has proven me wrong with constant support after release with new maps, new game modes, new weapons, and new gear. The Miiverse integration is the best of any Wii U with Inkopolis truly feeling like a bustling marketplace. While the single player is a lesser portion of the experience, the levels are equally well done with some quirky dialogue and amazing boss battles. The final boss is one of the best I've played in any videogame in years. I cannot wait for Spla2oon.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
1. Splatoon — Corrected a decade of online shooter debacles in one fell swoop. Made playing online fun again. Hands down the best online shooter ever made, and one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

2. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water — Release fiasco aside, this game deserved more hype and praise than it got. Easily the scariest game I've ever played. Everything about this game screams survival horror perfection. It was between this and Splatoon for best game of the year.

3. Xenoblade X — Despite its long list of flaws, this game is extremely fun. I've dropped way more hours into it than I should have. I complain about it a lot, but it's a must-own.

4. Until Dawn — I didn't actually play it, but I saw a Let's Play of it, and it looked like a lot of fun for the most part. I am against interactive movies, and that's essentially what this "game" was, but it was entertaining to watch, and at the very least the decision-making aspect of it made it more than just a quick-time-eventfest.

5. Super Mario Maker — It was good fun while the fun lasted. I'm kind of over the game, but I did enjoy it a lot while it was still fresh. The concept is great, though.

Honorable Mention: Devil's Third — Give it a try. It's nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1)Witcher 3. I was HYPED for this game and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Not just the best game of 2015 but one of the best games I have played. Storytelling, and music were fantastic. Graphics were top notch.

2)Life is Strange. This is a game I was recommended by Matt from these forums. This game has a really engaging story and characters and the use of time travel to alter events was a very interesting device. They are going to make another Life is Strange and after playing the first series I can't wait.

3)Fallout 4. Makes improvements over 3 which is one of my favourite games of all time. The settlement building and the fact weapons no longer degrade as well as the new levelling system are welcome additions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom