• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Top 5 Games 0f 2016

I made a thread like this last year and thought it was pretty interesting, so I thought I'd do the same this year. 2016 was a great year for certain genres (RPGs especially), although I didn't play too many entirely new games. If you don't have five games to mention, go ahead and post your top three or whatever. Here's mine:

5.) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition (PS4)

- I don't have a ton of free time like I used to, so my game purchases these days are limited to established franchises that I love, or very interesting looking new IPs. Skyrim rounds out the bottom of the list because I got to relive it for the first time since like 2012, and it reminded me why it was the game that really opened up my eyes to how great these open-world style of games can be. Having everything looking even nicer than it did when I fired up the vanilla version on my PS3 way back made me appreciate it even more, and I hope Elder Scrolls VI isn't too far away.

4.) Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (PS4)

- The previous game in the series, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, is one of my favorite games of all time because of how well it captured the traditional 2D platformer elements of the past that I adored (Megaman X, Mario, and Donkey Kong). I had very high expectations for the fourth game in the series, and although it's lacking in some areas that disappoint me (the Metroidvania component of the past and dungeons altogether seem to be completely absent for the sake of more Megaman X-esque platforming), it's still a very good game that was worth the weight. Plus we've got even more content coming via DLC, so that's always nice.

3.) Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)

- I never would have imagined that a brand new Fire Emblem game would be only number three on my favorites list, but it was such a good year for RPGs that this is where it is. I adore the Fire Emblem series for its brutal strategic gameplay and its well-told stories and characters. Fates definitely doesn't disappoint in the gameplay department, which is a step up from Awakening in every conceivable way. Unfortunately it falls well short of its predecessors in the story telling department, but at the same time has the same type of character development that I expect from the series. I put well over 80 hours into all three versions plus DLC, and I don't regret it.

2.) Pokemon Sun/Moon (3DS)

- A new Pokemon generation is always usually a shoe-in for my top spot, but number one was just that great to me. Sun and Moon has the potential to be my favorite generation for sure, and although I don't think it'll quite get there, the main game itself was excellent. Most of the mileage I get from Pokemon games these days are the more competitive aspect, and with a near unlimited amount of competitive possibilites now available due to Z-moves, I think this game might top the 100+ hours I poured into Pearl was back in the day.

1.) Final Fantasy XV (PS4)

- I was really nervous about this game, because everything has been going wrong with this franchise lately. XIII was not a good game, XIII-2 was only marginally better, and Lightning Returns was an experimental mess. Versus XIII was turned into XV, took a decade to release, had to change directors, had to go through heavy editing to become its own story, and was still under heavy scrutiny from the various demos and trailers released. I was overjoyed when I not only really liked XV, but ended up loving it. XV is so close to being a masterpiece - if Square uses it as a foundation for the future, I think the series can definitely become truly great again.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
5. Another Metroid 2 Remake
4. Gears of War 4
3. Fire Emblem Fates
2. Monster Hunter: Generations
1. Overwatch

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
5. Twilight Princess HD
This was a terrific remaster of a terrific game. Twilight Princess is on the lower end of console Zelda games for me... But it is still really good. The remaster in general was very true to the original... However, so much more detail was added that it looks terrific, and it even subtly adds more lore to the world. It is clear Tantulus lovingly recreated each texture of the game, and most of the time, TPHD looks absolutely terrific.
4. Pokemon Moon
What a terrific Pokemon game. One of my all time favorites for sure! Great graphics, story, and mechanics that actually freshens up the Pokemon formula.
3. Pokken Tournament
A fantastic fighting game all around, with some of the most addictive, balanced, and fair mechanics with great graphics.
2. Fire Emblem Fates
Absolutely the best SRPG that I have played gameplay wise. Everything fit together so well, and it created a masterpiece to play through... While the story was rough... Ugh. It still stands out from all of the SRPG's in the market.
1. Oddworld: New 'n Tasty
Oddworld is one of my favorites franchises ever. This is a complete overhaul of the PS1 classic, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. One of my favorites games. And this FF7-esue overall was absolutely worth it. While this may not be a new release for PC, PS4 and XBO. It certainly was for the Vita, PS3, and Wii U. This is one of my favorite games ever made. Oddworld provides such a fantastic atmosphere, that still hasn't been replicated, not only in platformers but with games in general. With a bunch of humor with a horribly dark and depressing story about environmentalism, slavery, capitalism, and cannibalism, this game just cannot be beat. It is masterpiece in graphics, sound design, story, gameplay. And they are all intertwined to make something fantastic. This platformer doesn't hold your hand, it is tough to be beat, and you don't have to be a good guy as well. I know this title was swept under the rug for many, and it is out of people's radar.... But man... Get this game. You won't regret it I swear.

Special Mentions go to Overwatch, Shovel Knight Plague of Shadows, Owlboy, and FFXV.

Oh man, I hadn't realised what a great yet horrid year 2016 had been for me personally with gaming until just now...

So many big games have come out this year; Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Titanfall 2, Forza Horizon 3, Dark Souls 3, Dishonored 2, Final Fantasy XV. Yet most of them dont appeal to me at all, and the ones that did I ended up not liking such as Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Seriously I think hitting 5 is gonna be tough...

5. TWILIGHT PRINCESS HD
My second favourite Zelda game, there's nothing to be said here, we know its a great game and the HD polish was very well done. I'd gush over the controls but seeing as how I'm a GC TP fan and anti TP Wii, the controls were all familiar and still welcome over motion control any day. What a shame that I've had to start this list with a remaster of a ten year old game...

4. ABZU
This game is 'Journey' but underwater, its still an enriching experience and there are some truly beautiful moments and scenery (often one-upping Journey) but the magic still lies with Journey. Like Journey, ABZU is a rather short game and can be completed in little over an hour, but its still well worth it.

3. SHANTAE: HALF GENIE HERO
I love Shantae, her series is going from strength to strength and is one of the few franchises I'm excited about for the future. The characters are great both in personality and design, the world is vibrant and the game itself is just a joy to play. Its also nice to have a proper 2D platformer that's actually decent for a change.

2. ODIN SPHERE LEIFTHRASIR
Another remake! To be fair though I never played the original Odin Sphere on the ps2 so Leifthrasir is a new game to me (still a remake though).
This game is great, its fluid, its as deep as you want it to be, the art style is magnificent, the characters are great, the game just oozes quality. Its half a platformer, half a beat em up, and all awesome. The voice acting is top notch, you end up feeling wholly invested. This is high fantasy at its best.

1. ...
Nope, don't have one... 'But Spirit, couldn't you just knock the entries in your list up a notch and add a lesser liked game'?
I could, I could put God Eater or Pokemon Moon at number 5 and make Odin Sphere my number one. But I won't because as much as I liked Odin Sphere, it isn't what I want to remember 2016 for. I want a game that I can definitively say 'yes, that game is my number one game this year', but I can't.
I've not played a game this year that stole my heart or impressed me enough to look back on it as something special, the games I've listed here are great, and to be sure Shantae and Odin Sphere are special in their quality and character but none of these games are 'the' game for me.

As i said, a lot of the releases this year just didnt appeal to me. I dont like guns so that's half of the year down the drain already. I dont like Uncharted and Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) bored me to hell, Fire Emblem Fates was crushingly disappointing to the extent that it put me off the series, Ive not played FFXV and don't want to...

So, yeah. 2016... Good year. Just not for me.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Much like Spirit, I've not seen the appeal of a lot of this year's big releases. Some games just don't look fun to me (Overwatch, Final Fantasy XV) while others ask for too much of my time (Pokémon Sun/Moon) and others represent the politicisation of an entertainment medium that I cannot condone (Battlefield 1). On top of that are other games I intend to play that I simply haven't gotten around to (The Witness, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice). For whatever reason, I've played very few new games this year and I'm struggling to think of five for a complete list.

Yeah, I can only get to three.

3 - Civilisation VI
It has more content than any previous base game, the art style is absolutely fantastic, gameplay is more streamlined without losing depth, and Sean Bean is the narrator. This blows Civilisation V clear out of the water. Districts has made the game so much more fun by adding strategic complexity as well as aesthetic satisfaction. The only gripe I have at present is that Religious victories are all the AI ever seem to go for, even the less religious civs. Hearing Sean Bean pronounce 'Huitzilopochtli' has been a significant highlight of my year.

2 - Hitman
All I wanted from Hitman was Blood Money with some of the streamlined gameplay of Absolution. That is exactly what I got. Hitman is almost the perfect Hitman game. It's about a sandbox with myriad options for moving around, planning, improvising, eliminating targets, and escaping. Each mission has a host of challenges to keep you engaged and experimenting and the Elusive Target events keep me coming back regularly. The episodic release works well for this kind of game because each level can absord over ten hours, so having the chance to take a break before the next one allows me to get on with other things instead of my life being taken over by obsessively earning mastery of every mission. It was everything I hoped for.

1 - Dishonored 2
I've been waiting all year for this one. Dishonored 2 is exactly what I wanted: the slick, satisfying gameplay of the original but with more options, more powers, and consistently brilliant level design. I got all of that. Non-lethal options have been expanded wonderfully with combat techniques and equipment, there are a host of new powers that all have a unique flavour and all have application for stealth and combat, and the game is absolutely gorgeous. Karnaca looks magnificent and the game is a pleasure to look at as much as it is to play. It is, however, poorly optimised on PC. I've been lucky in that regard. The only issue for me is a framerate of 24fps, but it's stable so it doesn't bother me much. There is part of me that wants to see it at 60fps because I was astonished by how much better that jump made GTA V look, but simple vanity aside, it's not important to me. This is a game as they should be made, in my opinion: with care and dedication by a team who genuinely love the material. This is precisely what I wanted from a sequel to one of my favourite games of all time. I couldn't be happier with it.

Of the games I have played and ganes that are not remakes and games from any other year do not count. This is Jan 1 to december 31 2016. These are my favourites.
I do not own all of these games buyt I know enough about them to list them. Also remakes and games from any other year do not count. This is Jan 1 to december 31 2016.

3. Overwatch (Obvious choice, it's a great FPS game)

2. Star Fox Guard (Not Zero, only Guard. It's a great game that really uses both screens well and you have to watch both to win. Totally worth downloading from the eShop)

1. Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Not perfect but so much fun. Also the soundtrack is so catchy and amazing. Takes a while for it to grow on you though)

Much like Spirit, I've not seen the appeal of a lot of this year's big releases. Some games just don't look fun to me (Overwatch, Final Fantasy XV) while others ask for too much of my time (Pokémon Sun/Moon) and others represent the politicisation of an entertainment medium that I cannot condone (Battlefield 1). On top of that are other games I intend to play that I simply haven't gotten around to (The Witness, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice). For whatever reason, I've played very few new games this year and I'm struggling to think of five for a complete list.

Yeah, I can only get to three.

3 - Civilisation VI
It has more content than any previous base game, the art style is absolutely fantastic, gameplay is more streamlined without losing depth, and Sean Bean is the narrator. This blows Civilisation V clear out of the water. Districts has made the game so much more fun by adding strategic complexity as well as aesthetic satisfaction. The only gripe I have at present is that Religious victories are all the AI ever seem to go for, even the less religious civs. Hearing Sean Bean pronounce 'Huitzilopochtli' has been a significant highlight of my year.

2 - Hitman
All I wanted from Hitman was Blood Money with some of the streamlined gameplay of Absolution. That is exactly what I got. Hitman is almost the perfect Hitman game. It's about a sandbox with myriad options for moving around, planning, improvising, eliminating targets, and escaping. Each mission has a host of challenges to keep you engaged and experimenting and the Elusive Target events keep me coming back regularly. The episodic release works well for this kind of game because each level can absord over ten hours, so having the chance to take a break before the next one allows me to get on with other things instead of my life being taken over by obsessively earning mastery of every mission. It was everything I hoped for.

1 - Dishonored 2
I've been waiting all year for this one. Dishonored 2 is exactly what I wanted: the slick, satisfying gameplay of the original but with more options, more powers, and consistently brilliant level design. I got all of that. Non-lethal options have been expanded wonderfully with combat techniques and equipment, there are a host of new powers that all have a unique flavour and all have application for stealth and combat, and the game is absolutely gorgeous. Karnaca looks magnificent and the game is a pleasure to look at as much as it is to play. It is, however, poorly optimised on PC. I've been lucky in that regard. The only issue for me is a framerate of 24fps, but it's stable so it doesn't bother me much. There is part of me that wants to see it at 60fps because I was astonished by how much better that jump made GTA V look, but simple vanity aside, it's not important to me. This is a game as they should be made, in my opinion: with care and dedication by a team who genuinely love the material. This is precisely what I wanted from a sequel to one of my favourite games of all time. I couldn't be happier with it.

I think Civilisation VI should be on my list only because of Sean Bean.

1. Uncharted 4: Among Thieves - Uncharted 4 is more story focused than its predecessors and has less memorable moments and set pieces than Uncharted 2, but it's still easily the second best game in the series. The multiplayer also remains one of the most unique in shooter games.

2. Pokémon Sun/Moon - I absolutely love the Alola region. The Totem Pokémon and Kahuna battles are fresh challenges and the music and story are the best in the series. The only real shortcoming is the linearity of the region.

3. Fire Emblem Fates - I played through Birthright earlier in the year and am now working through Conquest, and I say with full confidence that the split into two games worked very well. Two very fun games, though somewhat lacking in the story department.

4. Doom - A return to form for SciFi shooters. I haven't had this much fun blasting out alien brains since Halo 4. The game is absolutely gorgeous and bloody as hell.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - A worthwhile remake of my second favorite Zelda game. Hero Mode and an even harder mode with the Ganondorf amiibo stacked onto it are great additions.

Honorable mentions: The Last Guardian, Pokken Tournament, Gears of War 4

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I haven't played a single game released in 2016. In fact, I haven't even expressed interest in a single game released in 2016. Well... unless you count Horizon Zero Dawn which was delayed into the arse end of February. I might someday get around to getting a hold of the remake/remaster/whatever of Odin Sphere. And heck, that game originally released nine years ago now.

2016 sucked everything twice. I can't say I'll miss it.

I played alot of games this year, so I will be including a couple honorable mentions as well.

Honorable mention #1
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
SMTIVA was divisive game, but it was also one I got alot of enjoyment out of. A fantastic combat system that surpasses everything else in the series to date makes it a notable addition. Unfortunately, the story feels out of place in the established megaten series, preventing it from making it into the actual top 5.
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is available on 3DS.

Honorable mention #2
Make America Great Again: The Trump Presidency
this indie gem is worthy of note because of how little I expected of it. I imagined it would be a fun little joke that would be fun for about 10 minutes so I could get my $3 worth, but it ended up being alot more. Its simple, and you won't be getting a massive playtime out of it, but it was certainly a more memorable experience than I ever anticipated. It was a great way to take America back from those stupid liberal cocksuckers.
Make America Great Again: The Trump Presidency is available on PC and can be purchased on Steam.

Game #5
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls 3 is another fantastic entry in the souls series. Featuring the tight gameplay and engaging combat we've come to expect from Miyazaki's epics, Dark Souls 3 is easily one of the best entries in the series. Faster paced combat makes it even more engaging than before, only being outpaced by Bloodborne.
Dark Souls 3 is available on PS4, XBox One, and PC

Game #4
Steins;Gate 0
I never knew I needed a sequel to Steins;Gate. The original game ended with a satisfying conclusion, so naturally I was a bit skeptical that a sequel could be little more than a cash grab. Boy was I wrong. Steins;Gate 0 is a worthy successor to the original in every way, and Steins;Gate is one of my favourite VNs of all time. I was extremely happy with how well it worked out and I couldn't imagine the story of the original without it now.
Steins;Gate 0 is available on PS4 and Vita. a PS3 version is also available in Japan.

Game #3
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
With full servings of life and hometown, Senran Kagura Estival Versus is another great entry in the Senran Kagura series. It controls and plays well, but thats not the only reason to play this game. A new feature has been added where you can strip down the characters past their underwear, and while you don't get to see the goods, its a natural evolution for the series that is sure to make anyone with a penis happy.
Senran Kagura Estival Versus is available on PS4 and Vita

Game #2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2
This game was so close to making it to number 1. Part of me still wants to put it there to be honest. It was just barely beaten by a title that I've been anticipating for years. Thats just how good it is. Picking up right where the original Trails of Cold Steel left off, Cold Steel 2 does a great job of giving us a solution to the first games cliffhanger, and brings in its own revelations. The combat has been refined and and new animations make it look much nicer than the previous game. On top of it all the game features one of the best localizations I've ever seen. I have to give XSeed some credit here because they did an absolutely fantastic job. It may not reach the highs of Zero and Ao no Kiseki, but its still a wonderful entry in the series and I'll definitely be importing Cold Steel 3 when it releases in Japan next year.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 is available on PS3 and Vita

Game #1
Persona 5
I debated on whether it was fair to put this game on the list since it isn't out in English yet, but I decided I would do it because its just that damn good. Persona 4 is one of my favourite games of all time, and I can happily say that Persona 5 surpasses it in every way. Ever aspect of the gameplay has been refined and works flawlessly. It is one of the most stylized games I've ever seen, and its wonderful GUI sets a standard that every RPG will have to try and compete with from here on out. Its easily the best navigation for combat I've ever experienced and is extremely responsive. On top of that all of the Dungeons have been handcrafted, easily surpassing the randomely generated dungeons featured in previous games. The Characters and Story are also an improvement over the previous games (no, I haven't played persona 2 so I can't comment on that one. Its practically a different series at this point anyways). The sim elements have also been improved and the new Co ops are a great improvement over the social link system. They are functionally identical but give unlock more gameplay features, allowing a massive selection of options both in and out of combat compared to the previous games. Persona 5 is truly an achievement that I have to commend Atlus for and it sets new standard for RPGs.
Persona 5 is available on PS3 and PS4 in Japan. It will be coming to the west in April 2017

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom