• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Top 10 Favorite Franchises

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Out of all the franchises you've played over the years, which ones have stood as some of your favorites? And if you want, maybe a couple sentences to why its one of your favorites.
The list is unordered but it's going in descending order. And I wouldn't even say these are set in stone, just what I feel at the moment and are probably interchangeable otherwise.

Honorable mentions: Star Fox, Pikmin, MOTHER, Dark Cloud, Phoenix Wright, Yakuza, Burnout, Sonic, Ys

• Jak & Daxter - Despite the tonal shift from the first game, I felt the trilogy got better and better as it went on. The HD collection is such a hallmark for me on the PS3, the first game is the only game I've ever platinumed. Always wishing to see a proper return someday.

• Final Fantasy - To be honest, it's mostly carried by a few stand out titles since there's still much I've yet to play, but the ones I have played resonated with me enough to hold the series in high esteem. And that's including side games like Tactics Advance and Crisis Core.

• Persona - This was a big unexpected series for that filled in something I hadn't realized I wanted. A weird blend of social life sim and dungeon crawling. Starting from from 4, I've become more and more invested in what this series has to offer, including mainline SMT.

• Fire Emblem - These are games I kept getting addicted to starting from the GBA games until the 3ds ones. I found the strategy gameplay so engaging compounded by the fact that units are there own individual characters that could be lost at any time (unless casual mode in modern games).

• The Legend of Zelda - Probably doesn't need much explanation since I'm here in the first place. It's a series I've loved since childhood during the GameCube days and that love has only grown as I went back to play the older games as well as the newer ones.

• Super Smash Bros - I almost forgot this seeing as it's a crossover of other franchises, but it definitely is a series on its own. It's been a huge part of my life growing up w/ Melee and eventually Brawl and still continues to be something I play today w/ Ultimate. It even kick started my interest in Nintendo history in general with the vault.

• Grand Theft Auto - Largely in thanks to my older brother, I've played almost every new entry since at least San Andreas (though I'm 95% certain I played Vice City the year it came out) and I've always found them to be fun and chaotic. The PS2 games especially I put on a podium.

• Mario - This is a bit of a cheat b/c I'm including all the Mario spin offs here like the Karts, RPGs, sports, etc. If we're talking just mainline Mario then it's probably behind Zelda, but the IP as a whole was big part of my childhood and I've stuck w/ it throughout.

• Metal Gear - Middle school was when I was really getting into the series, and the storyline for these games have always had me captivated and blown my mind on several occasions. The gameplay I loved too since I'd replay them constantly and always love finding extra codec interactions or new ways to approach the game.

• Xeno - An even bigger cheat as I'm referring to the Xeno collective (Gears, Saga, Blade), but screw it, they've been some of the most profound games I've ever played with so much to analyze and dissect, especially early on. Just on devotion, they're the only games I preorder and have been on my mind constantly for years, in one way or another.

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not in any particular order, as I'm terrible at ranking things in general, but especially things I generally have an equal amount of love/appreciation for.

Fire Emblem - No other franchise has combined styles of gameplay and storytelling into one type of game as well as Fire Emblem has for me. Awakening was my starting point, and from there (though my preferences have changed a fair amount over time) I've just generally come to love every entry for what they offer as individual experiences and how they contributed to the series as a whole.

Monster Hunter - Monster Hunter's one of those exceptions for me where I don't care too much about the story (or lack thereof) when I think about why I enjoy it. The loop of hunt/gather > craft is just satisfying. Probably one of the most enjoyable online communities I've had the pleasure of interacting with.

Trails - When it comes to RPGs, the hook is always the same. If there's a cast of characters I can connect with and appreciate, I'll be golden even if the rest of the game is lesser in quality. Trails isn't lacking in anything I'd expect from an RPG, but that memorable cast is the best part.

Rune Factory - Pure life sims tend to bore me, but Rune Factory has that nice blend of RPG action and other shenanigans to keep me interested. 4 in particular is just a lovely game, through and through.

Warriors/Musou - Seems to be a divisive type of game but I really can't help but love the power trip of hacking down wave after wave of enemy on a battlefield. I prefer Samurai Warriors over Dynasty Warriors, but the IP-related Warriors games are great too.

Final Fantasy - Might be cheating here because the only mainline game I've played for FF is 15, but I'll count it because I'd absolutely include 14 and Bravely Default among some of my favorite RPGs. 14's world in particular is just a joy to engage with, the community included in that.

Xenoblade - 3 is one of my favorite games I've played, just that good. 1 was more of a slow burn to appreciate (for me at least), but a great RPG all the same. Though my experience with the series isn't exactly extensive, I'd still include it in my top 10 franchises.

Zelda - For WW and BotW alone, Zelda is a special series to me. Haven't played as much of the series as I'd like, even now, but yeah it's up there as one of my favorite series, no doubt. Much as I rag on it too.

Mario - Mario's been part of my gaming life both for the spin-offs and mainline over the years. Sunshine, Odyssey, and Yoshi's Island (the original, which I think still counts as Mario because of the title idk) are top platformers in my book and who knows how many hours I've put into the various Mario Kart games, 7 most out of all of them.

Tales - Tales is pure, campy RPG charm, and I'm there for it. The battle system in particular (I prefer the older style of LMBS, personally) is probably one of my favorites in the genre, and the skits are a style of character development and interactions I'm quite fond of.

The Legend of Zelda-My favorite of all time. I always look forward to an adventure, and have many happy memories of most of the titles I've played.

Mega Man-My go to for a good old fashioned action platformer. It gets me pumped! The music is almost always good. Love many of the bosses.

Pokemon-I snubbed this series for years. My daughter got me into it. I'm a bit addicted to it.

Golden Sun-Just a solid, fun rpg trilogy. I didn't like it at first, but it's become my favorite. Well, the first 2 anyway.

Ecco the Dolphin-I like 2 of the 3 I've played. It's a beautiful, atmospheric, game series. And I've always had a fascination with sea life. Wish Sega would port Defender of the Future so I could try it.

No More Heroes-Another game like this would have me rolling my eyes. But it's so fun, and the bosses and characters are so out there that its loveable. Fun combat too.

Okami-What can be said about masterpieces like this that hasn't already? Amazing!

Donkey Kong Country-Okay, I know I should just say Donkey Kong but I've never liked the arcade games. But the SNES trilogy is LOVE!

Super Mario Bros.-I'd be remiss not to mention this series. It helped save videogames, it's not afraid to try different genres either. Usually fun too.

Streets of Rage-The tenth was difficult to pick, but 1, 2, and 4 are still a blast to play. One of the greatest beat em ups of all time impo.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
The Legend of Zelda-My favorite of all time. I always look forward to an adventure, and have many happy memories of most of the titles I've played.

Mega Man-My go to for a good old fashioned action platformer. It gets me pumped! The music is almost always good. Love many of the bosses.

Pokemon-I snubbed this series for years. My daughter got me into it. I'm a bit addicted to it.

Golden Sun-Just a solid, fun rpg trilogy. I didn't like it at first, but it's become my favorite. Well, the first 2 anyway.

Ecco the Dolphin-I like 2 of the 3 I've played. It's a beautiful, atmospheric, game series. And I've always had a fascination with sea life. Wish Sega would port Defender of the Future so I could try it.

No More Heroes-Another game like this would have me rolling my eyes. But it's so fun, and the bosses and characters are so out there that its loveable. Fun combat too.

Okami-What can be said about masterpieces like this that hasn't already? Amazing!

Donkey Kong Country-Okay, I know I should just say Donkey Kong but I've never liked the arcade games. But the SNES trilogy is LOVE!

Super Mario Bros.-I'd be remiss not to mention this series. It helped save videogames, it's not afraid to try different genres either. Usually fun too.

Streets of Rage-The tenth was difficult to pick, but 1, 2, and 4 are still a blast to play. One of the greatest beat em ups of all time impo.
I totally forgot about ecco the dolphin’s existence! I played it on the dreamcast back in the day, I remember it being beautiful but also quite difficult. I was pretty young though, so that may have something to do with it hah. I’d love to revisit that game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Out of all the franchises you've played over the years, which ones have stood as some of your favorites? And if you want, maybe a couple sentences to why its one of your favorites.
The list is unordered but it's going in descending order. And I wouldn't even say these are set in stone, just what I feel at the moment and are probably interchangeable otherwise.

Honorable mentions: Star Fox, Pikmin, MOTHER, Dark Cloud, Phoenix Wright, Yakuza, Castlevania, Sonic, Ys

• Jak & Daxter - Despite the tonal shift from the first game, I felt the trilogy got better and better as it went on. The HD collection is such a hallmark for me on the PS3, the first game is the only game I've ever platinumed. Always wishing to see a proper return someday.

• Final Fantasy - To be honest, it's mostly carried by a few stand out titles since there's still much I've yet to play, but the ones I have played resonated with me enough to hold the series in high esteem. And that's including side games like Tactics Advance and Crisis Core.

• Persona - This was a big unexpected series for that filled in something I hadn't realized I wanted. A weird blend of social life sim and dungeon crawling. Starting from from 4, I've become more and more invested in what this series has to offer, including mainline SMT.

• Fire Emblem - These are games I kept getting addicted to starting from the GBA games until the 3ds ones. I found the strategy gameplay so engaging compounded by the fact that units are there own individual characters that could be lost at any time (unless casual mode in modern games).

• The Legend of Zelda - Probably doesn't need much explanation since I'm here in the first place. It's a series I've loved since childhood during the GameCube days and that love has only grown as I went back to play the older games as well as the newer ones.

• Super Smash Bros - I almost forgot this seeing as it's a crossover of other franchises, but it definitely is a series on its own. It's been a huge part of my life growing up w/ Melee and eventually Brawl and still continues to be something I play today w/ Ultimate. It even kick started my interest in Nintendo history in general with the vault.

• Grand Theft Auto - Largely in thanks to my older brother, I've played almost every new entry since at least San Andreas (though I'm 95% certain I played Vice City the year it came out) and I've always found them to be fun and chaotic. The PS2 games especially I put on a podium.

• Mario - This is a bit of a cheat b/c I'm including all the Mario spin offs here like the Karts, RPGs, sports, etc. If we're talking just mainline Mario then it's probably behind Zelda, but the IP as a whole was big part of my childhood and I've stuck w/ it throughout.

• Metal Gear - Middle school was when I was really getting into the series, and the storyline for these games have always had me captivated and blown my mind on several occasions. The gameplay I loved too since I'd replay them constantly and always love finding extra codec interactions or new ways to approach the game.

• Xeno - An even bigger cheat as I'm referring to the Xeno collective (Gears, Saga, Blade), but screw it, they've been some of the most profound games I've ever played with so much to analyze and dissect, especially early on. Just on devotion, they're the only games I preorder and have been on my mind constantly for years, in one way or another.

For me it is:

The Witcher - I love the stories, characters, music and world of The Witcher. I consider the third entry to still be the best game out there. It also has the best approach to DLC, giving stories and even a whole new world as big as some entire games are, that you would usually pay full price for but instead it is incredibly reasonable. They are even updating the series graphics this year for free along with more free DLC! No other franchise treats it's fans this good.

Nier- These are games that suck you right in with their narrative and really make you feel for the characters. The stories with their multiple endings are so well written and leave you thinking about them for a long time after completion. The soundtracks that accompany them are amazing also!

The Legend of Zelda- Some of the greatest games have come from this franchise which have really influenced my life and inspired my creativity.

Soul Calibur- It's the best fighter out there for me. I like the weapon based combat and am a big fan of the cast. In newer entries I really enjoy creating custom characters and fighting online with them.

Elder Scrolls- Great lore, soundtrack and world's. I like creating a custom character and having the freedom to act as I please within this fantasy world. Easy to spend 100 hours in an Elder Scrolls game.

Fallout- It's similar to Elder Scrolls in terms of mechanics only set in an apocalyptic wasteland and you get drugs and guns.

Mass Effect- I played 1,2,3 back to back and had one of the greatest times with them, immersing in the world, characters and story of the series

Final Fantasy- I haven't played most of the series and I wouldn't necessarily like all of the games however this series has produced some of my favourite fantasy RPGs including the FF7 remake and FF15. This franchise has some fantastic soundtracks too and graphics are almost always top notch!

Halo- These were so fun to immerse in the story of the campaigns and to play online for hours and hours. The lore is fascinating and rich. Halo 5 put me off the series and killed my love for it, however it was recently revived with 6 and I look forward to what the future brings.

Gears of War- Great characters and story especially for a game where you do a lot of chainsawing mutants and blowing their heads up. This franchise features some exciting locations even featuring going inside a giant worm reminiscent of Jabus belly. It's one of the best 3rd person shooting franchises out there for sure.

No particular order:

Red Dead Redemption - both are some of the best games of all time, with amazing worlds and unforgettabke stories and characters. Especially the sequel. Also, great soundtrack.

The Witcher - Fantastic RPG series, love the world, story, music, characters, everything. The 3rd entry is my personal favorite and one of the greatest games of all time.

Doom - Such a fun series, especially 2016 and Eternal. Some of the best shooting in a video game, and the kickass soundtrack just makes it that much better.

Half-Life - both 1 and 2 still hold up as some of the best shooters ever made, with great shooting, mechanics, perfect pacing, and the soundtrack make this one of the most incredible franchises ever (Make Half-Life 3 Gaben!!!).

Portal - great very unique games, the puzzles are great and these games are just so funny.

Zelda - The series that got me into action-adventure games, and still a great legendary franchise today. Also, great soundtrack.

Mario - I’m going to say Mario and count all the spin-offs to. But yeah, there is something so endlessly fun about a Mario game, and the series that got me into gaming. Paper Mario is my favorite spinf-off series with TTYD being one of the best games I’ve ever played, and Mario Kart is great fun.

The Elder Scrolls - I love the worlds in these games, and creating a character and just exploring. Skyrim still remains the game I have the most hours in and replaying it (especially with mods) never really gets old.

Fallout - Similar to Elder Scrolls. New Vegas still remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Donkey Kong Country - Its just so fun, I love the platforming and the soundtrack is so good. DKC2 and Tropical Freeze are masterpieces.

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I can only think of 7 right now so maybe I’ll just have to come back to it later.

Zelda-
Pretty obvious, nothing really to say about it that hasn’t already been said so moving on.

Metroid-
I love Metroid for very similar reasons why I love classic Zelda. The way that progression is handled is interesting in how it opens up opportunities for the player to figure out what exactly each item can do for them in any given situation. It’s the kind of game that can only be described as linear, and yet it goes out of its way to encourage the player to break that linearity as much as possible. This is particularly the case in Super Metroid, though a few other games do this well also.

Pokemon-
We’re on shakey terms right now, but when Game Freak actually manages to finish their games, Pokemon is one of the best turn based RPGs out there. The gen 5 games in particular are excellent, with gens 3 and 7 also being pretty great.

Bioshock-
Specifically the first two games. Infinite was an ok game thats insistence on using the “infinite multiverse” garbage that plagues media nowadays screwed over the story of the previous two games, but that doesn’t stop those two from being my favorite shooters ever. The rich atmosphere and indirect storytelling is top-notch, the games various plasmids allow for terrific combat, and the city of Rapture is one of the most fun settings to explore in a video game.

Minecraft-
Even if I don’t play it nearly as much as I used to, Minecraft is a game with such intricate mechanics that I can’t help but admire it. No matter what your playstyle is, you will have enough content to lat you a lifetime. You could play on a single world for decades and still not even begin to scratch the surface of what you can do in the game. Building a giant Gameboy that can play the entirety of Pokemon Red? Sure. Creating a farm that can get you thousands of carrots an hour? If you wanna figure that out. Building a system that sorts millions of items at once into a neat storage unit? There are plenty of tutorials. Games that let the player figure out exactly what it’s own limitations are as opposed to having them spelled out for them are exactly what I want to see, and no game does that better than Minecraft.

Super Mario-
Galaxy alone puts Mario on this list for me, though Odyssey and 6 Golden Coins are also some of my favorites. Mario has always been the gold standard for just about every genre under the sun, but platformers are easily the genre he’s best in.

Professor Layton-
I wish I got into this franchise sooner. A brilliant series of puzzle games, each perfectly intertwined with a wacky mystery story that keeps the player guessing before finally sucker punching them with a plot twist so out of left field that it makes Ace Attorney look tame by comparison, and then wrapping it up in an emotional ending each time, with Unwound Future’s being particularly potent. Everything about this franchise oozes charm, from the various towns you visit, to the music, to the characters and story, to the hand drawn cutscenes. But the star of the show is easily the Professor himself. I have never had a character win me over so quickly. He is easily my favorite character in any piece of media ever, and a big reason why I adore his series so much.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Ooh, FINALLY a thread where I can talk about my hyper-fixations. :`v`:

• The Legend of Zelda - This one is definitely a no-brainer, since I am a member of this forum after all! The first time I ever played a Zelda game was when I was about 8 years old, around the time Wind Waker came out. I remembered seeing Link and Zelda in Smash Bros. Melee and I really liked the characters, so my mom pre-ordered the game, and I got not only Wind Waker but also the Ocarina of Time Master Quest edition. I never beat either game until about two years later (I was not great at puzzles that young) and was hooked on the series ever since. I always liked how it made me feel; so many emotional moments and characters you get attached to. Twilight Princess was a favorite of mine, especially because the story was so good and unique. I also find the lore of Zelda to be really interesting and I like the subtly in the story-telling in each of the games.
  • Animal Crossing - Another childhood favorite. Something about the game and the freedom it gives you to roam and create really stands out to me. I have played every game in the series, with New Horizons and Wild World being my favorites. I even enjoyed the non-conventional titles such as Happy Home Designer. Also, fun fact: it's the game I have the most hours on on my Switch. Almost 1000, to be in fact lol.
  • Rune Factory - What CAN'T you do in this series? There's farming, dating, adventuring, monster collecting, and more. It's like they took all my favorite genres and combined them into one game. Rune Factory 4 is still in my top 10 video games of all time.
  • Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons - My first experience with this game was actually Harvest Moon DS. I had heard about it from a friend when we were in middle school. I was immediately hooked, and was so excited with DS Cute came out. I still play each new release in this series, and can't wait for the A Wonderful Life remake coming next year, which is my favorite game in the series. It's such a relaxing game and I love the romance aspect and getting to know each of the characters.
  • Spyro the Dragon -Spyro has had an interesting history, with not many games with his name and being revamped in a new series known as Skylanders. The Skylanders games were fun, but I'm not a huge fan of Toys to Life even though the idea of it is pretty neat. I absolutely adore the Spyro games, especially the classic trilogy. So many long summer nights my friends and I would play these games and try to collect everything in each of the diverse levels. Also, Stewart Coplan does the music for those games, which is a 10/10 in my opinion.
  • Red Dead Redemption - What a great open-world adventure game. So many secrets and places to explore and things to do...and the stories are really good. I was reluctant to play this game at first because the old west, cowboy theme isn't really my jam, but it turned out to be some of my favorite games ever.
  • NieR - Such an amazing series...great visuals, incredible story-telling, and fun gameplay, of course. Not my favorite kind of gameplay, but the stories make up a lot for it. Nier: Automata is one of my favorite games of all time.
  • Dead or Alive - Okay, hear me out. Partial nudity aside, this game is one of my favorite fighting games EVER, and I honestly love how diverse the characters are and how many costumes you can collect. And I might be the only person on the planet who is invested in the plot of this series lol.
  • Super Smash Bros. - Speaking of fighting games, this one is my other favorite. I started with Melee and have played every one of the games since. My favorite is still Melee, because of how much there was to do in it, but I also like how many characters have been added to the roster in the Switch version.
  • Pokemon - This is my last series as I have a complicated relationship with it. While I love most Pokemon games and get addicted to each one I play, I can't help but feel that the newer titles are WAY too easy. So with this franchise, I tend to not play it for a few generations, and then pick it back up if I am feeling the urge. I MIGHT check out Scarlet/Violet, but I'm still not sure yet.

Honorable Mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Sonic the Hedgehog, Jak and Daxter, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Kingdom Hearts

Honorable mentions: Star Fox, Pikmin, MOTHER, Dark Cloud, Phoenix Wright, Yakuza, Castlevania, Sonic, Ys

I agreed with you 100%

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Sports games and racing simulators. I get why people play them, but nothing they do appeals to me. I bought NBA 2k17 during deployment, played it for about an hour, and then never touched it again. That hefty download size didn't help.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
In no particular order

The Legend of Zelda: Possibly my favorite franchise in all of media. Zelda has been a big part of my life ever since I can remember. Ocarina of Time was the first game I ever finished and I’ve replayed it countless times throughout my life. The Zelda games have always been my favorites and I love to go back and play them constantly because of the fond memories I have with the franchise. This community has also made my love for the series grow exponentially and I cant imagine my life without it.

Pokémon: I played Ruby when I was younger but I didn’t really get into the series until I played Y and Omega Ruby. I love the team building aspect and it’s always exciting to experiment with different Pokémon on my play throughs.

Metroid: I haven’t played many Metroid games. I’ve only played Prime, Super, and Dread. I need to play more of the games tho because I love metroidvanias and I love the world and lore of Metroid.

Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley: I threw Stardew in here because it’s kind of a spiritual successor to Harvest Moon. And also Stardew is my favorite game of all time. The new story of seasons games are good but they don’t have the same charm to me as the older entries. I grew up with A Wonderful Life and A Magical Melody and I love those games to death.

Resident Evil: I’m not a huge fan of horror but I love this franchise. 7 and 2 remake are some of my favorite games of all time. 4 is also a top 5 favorite game of all time for me. I’m so excited for that remake even though I didn’t think it needed one because I still think RE4 still holds up to this day.

Soulsborne: I am pretty weird and I started with 3 and that’s still my favorite game in the franchise. I do love DS1 and Elden Ring though. Never really got into Bloodborne. I love the world in that game but I can’t wrap my head around the combat. I’m excited to see how the future of pans out because of how massive Elden Ring was.

Halo: I remember playing Reach all day every day when I was younger. One of my favorite games of all time. The original trilogy was amazing. It’s sad to see what 343 did to the franchise but I can’t deny that this franchise was very important to me growing up.

Fire Emblem: Kind of seem like a fake fan on this one as well. I have only played Awakening and Three Houses. I did play the GBA one when I was younger but I don’t remember much about it. I’m hyped for Engage though and I’ll be playing it the day it releases.

Fallout: I grew up playing Fallout 3 and I was so obsessed with that game when I played it. I was more into Skyrim because I am more of a fantasy fan but that’s the only game I played from the Elder Scrolls so Fallout edges it out. New Vegas is also one of my favorite games of all time. I love 4 despite how polarizing it was and I don’t want to admit how much money I spent on Fallout Shelter.

Bioshock: This is the perfect trilogy in my opinion. I’m even a 2 defender too. That game definitely wasn’t as good as infinite or the original but I still loved it. I loved the world and the lore in this franchise and the gameplay was so unique and helped it stand out from other shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom