• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Thoughts on Zant?

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Zant was promising at first. I love how they pulled of the classics "mysterious villain profile" by only showing the lower half of his face, keeping his eyes hidden. I remember first seeing his actual face- the lower half- and thinking, "Man, I bet this guy is some badass-looking hottie." Boy was I wrong.

They gave him a great introduction. He seemed very calm and sure of himself... his presence was intimidating and chilling, and he was the first Zelda villain other than Ganondorf to actually pique my interest. He seemed cruel, yet sly. They built him up really well, but in the end, I feel they destroyed him. They reduced him to nothing more than a whining, jealous, power-hungry brat. He actually threw a fit. His voice was annoying and high-pitched, and his movement could be compared to that of a 5-year-old on a sugar high. I don't think his lust for power drove him to insanity- we already saw his behavior before he obtained any power in a cutscene, and he was just as childish there as he was during the game's current events.

As far as battling him went, he seemed to lack any sort of skills other than flailing around like an idiot. I do think that going back through stages found in the temples was a great way to enjoy seemingly unimressive levels, though. I think that if he had been a little more difficult and a little more reserved, then he'd have been a worthy opponent. It's just kind of weird that a 16-year-old (Link) seems to be more mature than Zant, regardless of Link being a hero.

His design was definitely top-notch, though. I liked how Gerudo designs survived in the design department after so many years, and the serpentine twist really went well with the design. His helmet was impressive with all the detail. As far as appearances go, Zant is definitely one of the better designed Zelda characters to date. I think Zant is quite unique, but not necessarily in a good way.

In any case, whether we find him pretty cool or just plain silly, he is definitely one of the more interesting villains, and he stands out among them.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
It's just kind of weird that a 16-year-old (Link) seems to be more mature than Zant,

I took this as being the point they were trying to convey though. Zant had an edge over Link earlier in the game because of his transformation into a wolf. He treated Link as some kind of pathetic peon that was almost not worth his time and effort. When he saw him again in the Arbiter's Grounds, he realized that there was probably more to this individual then there seemed. He was gaining strength and determination, but he was still brushed off as not much of a threat.

By the end of the game though, Link surpassed Zant in the realm of potential and he upstaged him in both skill and maturity. That's why I enjoyed the fight so much because Zant began it with calm composure. As the fight progressed, he became increasingly aware that he underestimated Link, and began to panic and lose his concentration. His attacks became more desperate and uncalculated. By last moments of the fight, he had entirely lost it and was reduced to throwing another temper tantrum. He howled and waved his arms aroudn frantically in a desperate last attempt to win.

So, in all of this, it was shown that Link, even in being younger and more inexperienced was the better man of the two, and came out of the entire ordeal as the victor.

I don't think this was a random, non-thought-out idea as well, because even if you listen to the progression of Zant's theme music throughout the game, it increasingly becomes more frantic and disjointed. By the last time you hear his theme in the last segment of the fight with Zant, it's barely even music. It's as if someone fast-forwarded music and was playing with an old record player speed dial to try and get the proper speed down unsuccessfully. Obviously there was discussion between the designers and the composers about Zant's arc, and his descent from dignified composure to raving lunatic whereas Link's themes from the innocent carefree tunes of Ordon became the full-fledged Overworld theme by the game's end credits.

R

Rheks

He was a crap villian in my opinion, he was a ***. He didn't seem very believeable as an enemy.
He was just like Gannons side kick you know, you don't care about it.
It seemed like he didn't even play such a big role even if he was, It didn't feel like it.
I wasn't thinking, Zant's the evil guy in this game, I was thinking Gannon was, and Zant was just some Sidekick who didn't matter.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I took this as being the point they were trying to convey though. Zant had an edge over Link earlier in the game because of his transformation into a wolf. He treated Link as some kind of pathetic peon that was almost not worth his time and effort. When he saw him again in the Arbiter's Grounds, he realized that there was probably more to this individual then there seemed. He was gaining strength and determination, but he was still brushed off as not much of a threat.

By the end of the game though, Link surpassed Zant in the realm of potential and he upstaged him in both skill and maturity. That's why I enjoyed the fight so much because Zant began it with calm composure. As the fight progressed, he became increasingly aware that he underestimated Link, and began to panic and lose his concentration. His attacks became more desperate and uncalculated. By last moments of the fight, he had entirely lost it and was reduced to throwing another temper tantrum. He howled and waved his arms aroudn frantically in a desperate last attempt to win.

So, in all of this, it was shown that Link, even in being younger and more inexperienced was the better man of the two, and came out of the entire ordeal as the victor.

I don't think this was a random, non-thought-out idea as well, because even if you listen to the progression of Zant's theme music throughout the game, it increasingly becomes more frantic and disjointed. By the last time you hear his theme in the last segment of the fight with Zant, it's barely even music. It's as if someone fast-forwarded music and was playing with an old record player speed dial to try and get the proper speed down unsuccessfully. Obviously there was discussion between the designers and the composers about Zant's arc, and his descent from dignified composure to raving lunatic whereas Link's themes from the innocent carefree tunes of Ordon became the full-fledged Overworld theme by the game's end credits.
Which is exactly what I didn't like. Regardless of Link being the victorious hero, he shouldn't be more mature than the villain at hand, at least not in my own opinion. Miyamoto wanted his design to appear young (he rejected a design where Link appeared too mature), and so I'm sure that while he intended for Link to be heroic, I don't think he wanted Link to come off as Mr. Maturity. He's supposed to be a young hero. While young heroes aren't as goofy as the Link portrayed in the Zelda cartoons, they still lack some maturity and maintain a youthful demeanor.

The great thing about Ganondorf is that regardless of being foiled over and over again, he maintains a sense of dignity. Zant did not. Perhaps (more than likely, actually) that was on purpose- maybe to contrast with the list of villains to date. Regardless, my own thoughts on Zant... I find him to be silly and unimpressive.

I liked Zant, I was so happy when I found out that there was going to be more then just Ganon. Zant was a fun person to fight! I loved the challenge, and the fact that it was not the same ole thing, as all the other Zelda games that I have played!

Zant had a lot of character potential. I really liked him throughout the game. He seemed to have power, motive, and even seemed to be truly evil. Never in a million years would I have imagined Nintendo messing a character as wonderful as Zant up in the end! Yet, they did it, and it didn't take much. He was an overly-dependent, whiny brat in the end! He could not have turned out worse than he did! He seemed awesome, until you met up with him again for what seemed to be the final encounter. Then, he revealed everything, which ruined him completely!

Ganondorf just seemed tacked-on at the end. I mean, we had no idea that he was even in the game until Zant revealed it. Nintendo seemed to put him in there for the sake of having him in the game. I don't know why, I don't know what on earth they thought would be achieved by this, and I certainly don't know who's brilliant idea it was. But one thing I do know is this: it was a terrible idea, and I hope Nintendo learned something valuable about character development from it.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I thought that Zant was probably the coolest villian ever (especially in the scene after Lakebed Temple), but after seeing his face, he seemed kinda lame. I wish they would have made his face as scary as it apeared in the cutscene where you could only see hihs jaw and mouth.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I feel the exact same way because I thought there would be more to him but when he showed his face and told his story there was no more mystery to him unlike other villains. and his fighting style was awful.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
Zant was a very strange person for a long time and in the end he just gives up. Now one thing strange in the end of the game is that Zant or someone else. I also liked Zant because he makes you think he is the final boss. This is just me.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
I thought that Zant was more a minion and power source for Ganondorf, He played his part well and made him seem like the main villain, he was dark cool menacing and like most villians was a ruler, but in the end he was a just a piece of trash to Ganondorf after he served his purpose. Just like all the other villains, but when Zant turned on Ganondorf and helped in stopping his reign of terror, he became a double-agent.

He was a great add on character and was one of my personal favorites but the way Ganondorf treated him and other villains makes me mad.

Ganondorf you suck and you deserve to be punished for good!

Linky

King of Twilight
Zant is my favorite villian of all time. He was just epic and that weird shreik that he makes everytime it shows his mask/face (or whatever it is) probably the most epic sound I've ever heard in my life and nothing will ever go past it. Only I still like Ganondorf as the main antagonist because..I dont know it would just seem weird as Zant being the main villian and the last fight. Also the way he walks is just cool, the way you don't see his hands and his robes cover his arms and chest and he strides slow and evil-like. That would be awesome if a similar character to Zant returned in Zelda Wii, but then again that wouldn't be so good because it's best to keep an epic villian in only one game (not including Ganondorf)

I will be honest. When I first saw Zant, I was pretty stoked. I mean, a new Villain? That was great I thought. I thought it was going to change it up. The first scene he appears in is kind of a B.A. scene in my opinion. But then, it goes sour. It just turns out that Zant is a little... B. Not only do we find out that Zant is a total wussy, but who is controlling him? Ganondorf? AWE SHOOT. I was basically thinking "uhhhh really?" I thought they could do better than that. I hope he does not make a return in Zelda Wii. If he does, I hope they unpussify him. New word, unpussify.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Bit of a clown really.

Which in all fairness is a great shame seeing as he started the game as this dude who looked so bad ***.
But, by the time you get to your battle with him, I mean what the hell?
He sounds like a child while he's fighting you, it was at this point, just before you kill him, that I decided that I could no longer take him seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom