• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Thoughts on "girl Gamers"?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So gamer girls are hotter than girls who play video games? That's what I am getting out of this.

No, gamer girls are just flaunting useless information is what the image is saying. Who gives a **** if you're a girl? Just play the damn game (i.e be a "girl who plays video games").

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Never knew the term existed.
You aren't a boy or girl gamer, you're a Gamer who's a boy or a girl, never both of them. And those pictures.... Bleh.

ILU

i luv u
I hate the term "girl gamer". HATE it. Because, like the OP said, we don't call males "guy gamers". Just "gamers". I don't like that females have to be specified. Whenever I say that to somebody who has called me a "girl gamer", they usually respond with the typical "but not many girls play games". Which is bull. Absolute bull. I don't mean to sound angry, it just.... really bothers me. There are millions of gamers that are female. Mind you, it's probably due to being harassed in various ways that they don't make it apparent. I don't talk when playing online games because I've experienced how many male gamers treat female gamers. Sucks.

BUT ON ANOTHER NOTE!
2VzqK.jpg

There is NOTHING wrong with this. Except that she may be around 12 and posing like that. I can't tell with all the makeup. It bothers me when people, especially other female gamers, throw out insults or accuse girls like this of being fake gamers. HOW would you know, really? The obvious ones of models playing Mario Kart on screen with a Zelda cartridge, yeah, burn them all. But there is nothing wrong with an attractive girl posing with her gaming gear. I'm attracted to male gamers, why can't girl gamers attract guys who like their type? It's better than the stupid duck-face pics you see everywhere. If I had ANY self-confidence in terms of my physical appearance, you bet I'd pose with all my glorious gear. My turtle beaches, my special edition controllers, ALL OF IT.

A female gamer can be ultra-feminine, she can be tomboyish, she can be anything she wants and still be a gamer, and she shouldn't be called "fake" or some other, more hurtful things for feeling confident with her appearance and "status" as a gamer. Too many people are even afraid to admit being huge gamers to people outside of the internet. It's a darn shame. Let these girls show off their looks and their gamer gear. They should be able to feel confident in both areas, because yeah, it IS sexy. It's not demeaning, it's not sexist. Nothing wrong with it. It defines THEM, not YOU. Want to show people that there are other types of girl gamers? Why not post your own "gamer girl" pics and spread the nerdiness?

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
They're even more awesome than girls who don't play video games in my opinion, I've actually been watching an LP which was made by a female gamer and overall I can't say it's any less amusing than the LPs I watched which were made by guys, can't say there's a difference in regards to which gender is better when it comes to gaming either. As far as I'm concerned both males and females can be good at gaming, I dunno why a term exists for girls alone really, but it seems quite silly to be honest.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
For the most part I agree that the term itself is riddiculous. We're gamers, not boy gamers and girl gamers, however I can understand the need to use some kind of term when speaking about issues like discrimination towards players based on their gender. I don't play online myself, and thankfully I have not been patronized by staff members when going into game shops (mostly because the game shops over here have both male and female employees) - however I've heard enough stories to know that this is a problem that needs to be adressed.

The term "girl gamer" is unfortunate and has been warped (by images of girls trying to look sexy while handling some kind of gaming hardware) to such a degree that it's rejected by the majority of the gaming community, males and females alike. I don't use the term "girl gamer" to describe myself, despite being a girl who likes playing games. Firstly I don't think it's relevant to point out my gender, it's usually clear as day that I'm female as I tend to have feminine usernames, but I don't elaborately point out my gender (not unless it's relevant to the discussion, like this one).

Firstly I don't want my fails and victories to be contributed towards my gender. If I am good at something or suck at something, it should be about my type of gameplay and skill, not because I happen to be female. Same goes for what types of games and gameplay I like and don't like. Even though it fits the stereotype that I personally have no interest in FPS, it shouldn't automatically be linked as such, as there are plenty of girls out there who do enjoy FPS. Nor should it be a "whoa" revelation to learn that I enjoy combat and skating games. My gender doesn't dictate my interests, same goes for everyone else. Sometimes we like things that fit the stereotype, other times we like the complete opposite.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Of course anyone would be idiotic to have a problem with female gamers.

As for "girl gamers," pretty much everything that's viewed as a predominantly male hobby, like football (see Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders), cars (see Michael Bay movies) and rock music (which appeals to women, but is mostly composed by men--see groupies) has been sexualized.

How long have "booth babes" been around? Girl gamers aren't anything new, and I don't see why they make people so angry. If you don't like it, feel free to denounce it, ignore it, or make fun of it (I certainly do), but it's not unique to the game industry and it's barely worth mentioning in the context of gaming alone.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I think if you have a problem with someone who identifies as a female playing videogames that you are quite silly. There really isn't much more to say on the matter, I think.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I find the term itself to be stupid in general, you shouldn't be grouped after gender, goals and skill should determine that instead. I also find gamers who are female not to be that rare, what's rare is probably the ones that don't do it for attention since I have very few friends who are both female and love to play games. ;)
But I can't really complain since the basic concept of games is to have fun, and if some girls find it fun by swimming in pools of attention from 12-year old boys then I shouldn't be complaining. I usually only encounter this on CoD so no big deal anyway. The only other thing that bothers me I guess would be the stupid assumption that all females who play games look like super models.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
The term "girl gamers" has been reduced to an annoying girl that tries to make attractive guys think she plays video games. Personally, why don't we use the normal term "gamers" for both genders, instead of trying to find the difference between fake girl gamers & real girl gamers, like this
this-is-not-a-gamergirl.jpg

Girls that play video games are just like anyone else, those girl gamers are awesome.

HOWEVER, those dreadful "girl gamers" that are just a pair of boobs slapped onto an advertisement are detestable.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I disagree. Look where the analogs are on the second one. At the top. It's some computer controller she's bought at a store to plug into her Desktop where she is emulating tWW. Duh.

No... Poor illustration is poor illustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom