• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Sense of Direction

How good is it? Like, when you're driving around or riding or walking or whatever else, how well are you able to keep track of where you've been/where you are in relation to other things/etc.?

Mine is absolutely pitiful. By now I have learned how to get around my little hometown (for the most part), but anywhere else I'm hopeless. I pretty much have to rely entirely on memorizing road names and turning directions if I need to get somewhere. I've basically no grasp on the compass directions or anything; it's pretty bad.

I got my horrible sense of direction from my mom and her mom, and I think it can also be partially attributed to the fact that I was always playing my various Gameboys and DSs instead of paying attention whenever I rode around with my family growing up.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Once I'm familiar with an area, I don't have that much trouble navigating my way around without really thinking. But it takes a while. I never really pay attention to addresses or street names. Give me an address and I couldn't necessarily go right to it or understand where it is. But point it out on a map, or refer to another location near it that I'm aware of, and I'll know exactly how to get there. I don't pay attention when I'm just a passenger though. Which is all I have ever been in the larger cities near me. So I couldn't get around those at all until I have been in them on my own for a while. But I like the smaller community I'm in now and would rather not be in a larger one. Though I would be willing to commute to another for a job, living here. It's common in my state to live in small towns and work in large cites. The average commute to work is about an hour. And that's mostly on highways the whole time. People here don't think much of it, but people in the west and east coast think it's crazy.

When I'm staying at some place, another house or a campground, it usually takes me about a day to get used to where everything is and find my around. I really don't have any basis for comparison for whether this is typical for most people or better or worse.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
There is only one direction.

one%20direction_0.jpg

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
Apart from the area around me, my sense of direction is the absolute worst. It doesn't take me too long to get used to an area, I just can't on a large scale. I can somewhat read a map, but not too well. You could ask me to fetch you something on the counter, and I'd travel in the opposite direction of said thing. The worst offense? I mistook East and West when it came to train routes. My boyfriend and I were out of town and I almost made us take a train opposite to our direction home. It was on the platform where we saw the destinations where I realized I made a mistake. :P

My sense of direction is laughable. Unless I've traveled somewhere a dozen or so times, I probably won't be able to get there without a GPS or printed directions. Maps aren't useful to me because I have poor 3D visualization of flat objects. I might remember the connection of streets on a flat surface; however, actually clearly thinking and applying this knowledge is a different matter.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
Terrible. Unless I'm playing Daggerfall. Strangely, I seem to be the only one who's not confused by the 3D dungeon map system in that game. I actually like it! I even wish there was a 3DS game with a similar map system.

I have a pretty good sense of direction. In fact I'd say above average. Not that I haven't gotten lost before but I usually can grasp the surrounding area pretty well and I have little trouble with maps. I also love and have an interest in geography and even as a kid was always fascinated with knowing exactly where I was on a map, especially when I traveled.

Terrible. Unless I'm playing Daggerfall. Strangely, I seem to be the only one who's not confused by the 3D dungeon map system in that game. I actually like it! I even wish there was a 3DS game with a similar map system.

That map is HORRIBLE. I have no idea how you can read it. Love Daggerfall though <3

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I have no sense of direction

I still barely know my way round my area. But some of that might be because all the streets look exactly the freaking same.

But nah, I can learn my way around but I'm not good at orienting myself.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Don't ask me streetnames. I'm horrible at those. Even in my hometown where I loved for more than 25 years I had no troubles finding my way around (I could walk through it blindly) but the streetnames.... Even after 25 years some streets sounded pretty familiar but I still had to get a clue what was near it so I remembered where it was

Fig

The Altruist
I believe my sense of direction depends if I'm familiar with an area or not. For the most part, I tend to have a decent sense of direction as I usually remember landmarks, signs, or anything that can help me remember where I am the next time that I have to go through a specific portion of the city or town. Whenever I am entering a new portion of the city that i am not familiar with, I do observe the scenario and try my very best to make sure that I do not get get lost as I am travelling. One thing that I do find funny is that I can not seem to remember the name or the placement of the streets, although if I'm given a general direction or reminded of certain landmarks, I will most likely know that area like the back of my hand.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I've always been better at visually figuring out where I'm going than by street names. I do know some street names and will be able to tell a person where I am if I happen to be on said road, but as far as that goes, that's about it.

I remember that there have been many times when I've drove or traveled to places with just my visual memory alone even if I've only been down that path once. But ask me the street names that I took to get to said place, I probably couldn't tell you.

Dan

I'm pretty good with sense of direction, I'll always be looking at my surroundings constantly and using structures and the sun/moon to figure out how to get back to a certain point.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I've never been seriously lost. I can almost always find my way home. So I'm going to say pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom