• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Preferred Apocalypse

So I don't believe that the world will end tomorrow, but going along with the current doomsday craze, I decided to ask this question: If the world were to end, how would you want it to happen?

I'd like it to be an alien invasion, because I've always been fascinated by aliens and the thought of encountering them.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Something instantaneous. Growing up in a place that would be vaporized by a Soviet ICBM in the first hour of World War III had a certain level of comfort. I have zero desire to carry on in a ruined world.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
It depends: Apocalypse How?

If it's something like a Societal Collapse Class 2 - Something that "wipes out current civlization" but doesn't actually kill us all, a technopocalypse might be something I'd contend with. That is... solar flares or an electromagentic pulse destroys most major techology, throwing us into a pre-industrial/agricultural or hunter-gatherer age. It's not something I want to happen considering how Internet and gaming addicted I am, not to mention I like having a refrigerator, indoor plumbing and a heated residence, but I can actually see myself succeeding here a little more than I do in my current life because I actually have a few skills that certain city-folk might want to learn from me. Not many, granted, but I have enough creativity to devise some way of surviving, perhaps.

If it's something like a Class 4 or above - We're all gonna die! I think it might be neat to have a cosmic threat (such as a falling moon!) that we all know about because I can see a variety of things happening - either I could have fun with the looters, or I could join the group (if any exists) that all comes together in a spirit of shedding our differences in human solidarity to wait for the end. In any case, seeing it coming, while stressful, would give one time to prepare. It'll probably bring out both the worst and best in people - which would be interesting to watch (if one can find a safe vantage point).

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Zombie apocalypse, I'd at least have some fun by slaughtering zombies before my end.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I also have to go with Zombie Apocalypse, as I have no doubt I'd be a survivor, and so would most of my friends.

If not Zombies, then a Solar Flare- perhaps it won't take out everyone, just about half of the population when it struck the earth, and hopefully take out all technology, too. I also have some skills that are necessary to survive, and, though I'm using comforts now, I can get by just fine without them.

octorok74

TETTAC
Covenant invasion. Halo has been training me for years now and I sure hope I get the chance to use those skills. PLus, I could get an energy sword and those things are just so cool. But not a Flood invasion. Flood are scary buggers and though I could still fight them just as effectively, I don't want to ever see one.

I prefer a large tidal wave of biblical proportions over anything that has to do with intense heat. Also, I'd like it happen whilst I am asleep.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I also have to go with Zombie Apocalypse, as I have no doubt I'd be a survivor, and so would most of my friends.

If not Zombies, then a Solar Flare- perhaps it won't take out everyone, just about half of the population when it struck the earth, and hopefully take out all technology, too. I also have some skills that are necessary to survive, and, though I'm using comforts now, I can get by just fine without them.

Cute. Assuming a solar flare event devastating enough to kill 3.5 billion people, the ecosystems of earth would be totally FUBAR'd. Translation: Within twelve to 18 months there would be virtually no food left anywhere between the collapse of agriculture and spoilage, creating a bizarre (and ghoulishly hilarious) competition among sickly, starving bands of survivors over the world's last stockpiles of Spam. In this context, you have to make some cartoonishly difficult choices. Would you kill someone for a can of beans? Would you eat someone if it came to it?

We're pampered. Most of us couldn't have survived the lower east side of Manhattan New York in the 1920s, much less the total breakdown of civilization. And that wasn't even the worst place to live.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
This probably sounds weird (and stupid), but I would cherish and adore a cat apocalypse. Yes, you heard me right. I would love for the skies to shower with kittens, and eventually suffocate from cat hair. <3

Drow invasion. I've read so many drow books and understand the culture and characters so much that, as terrifying as it would be, I'd love a chance to meet a drow and just have a little chit-chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom