• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Preferences in a Zelda Movie

Before we start, know that I'm not automatically endorsing a Zelda movie, and I acknowledge not everyone is going to want one. In fact, I don't necessarily want one. This is a pure speculation topic meant to stimulate the juices of the mind and see if something could work.

Let's just say a Zelda movie was guaranteed to be in the works and there was nothing anybody could say or do to stop it from being released, but we could influence what the final product looked like. How would you want a Zelda movie to be done, regardless if you supported the movie in the first place?

#1: Original story or based on a game? An original story might be easier to pull off, considering the grind of dungeons and solving puzzles in the Zelda games don't really lend themselves to a full-blown movie; a TV series, maybe, but not a one-to-three-hour movie. Then again, creating a successful representation of one of the Zelda games would be incredibly rewarding, if probably a bit harder. My preference likely goes to making a movie based on one of the games, so long as it doesn't turn into a half-baked nostalgia fest where every character and boss from every freaking Zelda game is crammed in just for some face time. I'd be interested to see both ends (original or based on a game), but a successful representation of one of the games would probably feel much more rewarding to me.
#2: If the movie was based specifically on one of the games, which would you want them to start with? You've got the "first" game in the chronology, Skyward Sword, as well as the first Zelda game to actually be made. Ocarina of Time was immensely popular and receives perhaps the most references of any game in the series, so maybe that would be a good place to start. My personal vote goes to making a movie of the very first Zelda game, as I feel they could do more with it considering it barely has a story of its own. The chronology could easily be added into the mix; each movie (if they made more than one) could show us a timeline in the opening of its placement.
#3: Animated or live-action? I'd be game for either, but my preference probably goes to CGI animation. The world of Zelda would probably be easier to pull off that way, and you don't have to worry about actors not looking or feeling like their representations. Then again, we always get animation in the games, so live-action would be a nice change of pace. Like I said, I'm perfectly fine with both, but animation would probably appeal to me more.
#4: Link as a full character or silent passerby? Do you want his past and motivations to pop up, making him a full character like anyone else, or a reticent hero whose background and personal motivations are never expounded on? My vote is to do a little of both; a lack of a solid background could still make the audience ponder what they'd do if they were him, but speaking and showing personality would make him an interesting character in the present since we can't control him.

Feel free to ask any other questions as well. Remember, this is purely from a speculation standpoint, not to say a Zelda movie should even be made.

Ecysmest

Of the Forest
Wow. I have not really though about anything like this before. I've always thought that a LoZ movie would be amazing, if it were made correctly, but never considered what game to base it off of. Or whether or not it should be based off a game to begin with.

If they were going to make a group of movies, I would probably prefer that they go in chronological order, so starting with SS, then moving down the line. If it were to be a series, the real problems would set in after OoT, with the time split. Were it just a movie; I'm not really sure. The only place you could really start with would be SS, due to the lack of background information and history (If someone who was not a fan of the LoZ series decided to watch it).

Animated or Live Action? Again, it all depends on how it would be made. Considering there hasn't really been any Live-Action LoZ released by Nintendo, it's a bit difficult for me to imagine how that would look. I do agree with you that Live-Action would spice things up a bit, though.

I also agree with you on Link's personality. In the games, he does actually talk, there's just no text. I suppose that's Nintendo's way of making you think. Making you imagine just what he could be saying or what he said based on the dialog of the other characters. So having him talk, but still keep his background a sketchy image, would make for a better character in this sense.

Great questions, by the way :)

Personally, I think a lot of what the community wants to see more of in the games (Shiekah/Gerudo background, Twili, any of the wars) provide amazing threads for movies, and allow new characters to take the lead away from Link. Like how at first glance LoTR is about the ring and the hobbits, but (and especially after the Hobbit) you start to realize that it is actually about Gandalf.

If the movie were to be based off a game, I'm not sure which one I'd like. The 'go collect all of these important items' main quests of most games makes it hard to say which one would translate best. Mini-Series would probably work best, and then I'd pick the original two games. Still feel like there should be a ZeldaIII: Curse of Ganon...

Live action with 90's style special effects. JP's T-rex would make a great Dodongo. But the clothing would need to look realistic, not like cheap fabric just so we can see that, yes, Link is wearing green. Match TP, not OoT.

As I'd rather have a original work, I'm all for Link being a background character. Link tends to have a fairly defined personality in whichever game you play, and a lot of young and upcoming celebs are great at doing just those kinds of characters. He isn't quite as silent a protagonist as many would think.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Personally, I think a lot of what the community wants to see more of in the games (Shiekah/Gerudo background, Twili, any of the wars) provide amazing threads for movies, and allow new characters to take the lead away from Link. Like how at first glance LoTR is about the ring and the hobbits, but (and especially after the Hobbit) you start to realize that it is actually about Gandalf.

Uh, no. It's way bigger than Gandalf. In fact, it is more about Sauron than Gandalf, and it is even bigger than the two of them. Read the Silmarillion. You'll understand what I mean, because explaining the complexities of Eru and the Valar would be too difficult to do here. But the movies were more about the Hobbits- specifically Frodo- along with the Ring and Sauron. Not Gandalf; his story is just a side thing. And the movie doesn't even explain who he fully is, at that.

But back to Zelda:

1. My first reaction would be to say a game. You'd get a great story that everybody loves. However, it would be hard to explain all the dungeons and bosses in a movie. It wouldn't really make sense. So maybe an original story would be better.

2. OoT. It would make the most money, as it is the most popular. If the movie is good, the money they make would allow for more Zelda movies.

3. I don't know. Probably something that looks like the Zelda Project, if in real life. CGI might make it a bit more kid-friendly, though, if that would be the audience they wanted.

4. Well, if OoT were to be done, I would have his past spoken of, as it was in the game. With his speaking, part of me would want him silent, in order to stick with tradition, and part thinks it would be fine if he spoke. But, having never heard his voice- except for in "HYAAA!" when spin attacking/rolling and "HWAAAAAAAAA!" while falling- I don't know if I would ever want to find out what it sounds like. So I lean towards him being speechless. This might not make sense in a movie context, though, and might be better if he did have dialogue.

In fact, I'd say that if I wanted any one to work on a Zelda movie, it would be the artists at the Zelda Project. The work that they do is incredible. If you haven't yet, go check them out!

So, it would be cool if there were indie movies done on YouTube or something (like the Zelda Project intends to do), but I don't know about a full scale, Hollywood movie. I don't want them to ruin my Zelda like they did with the Super Mario Bros. movie...

OoT is the most popular, but I just can't see it being a good candidate for a 'movie', pacing wise. The best pace game for a movie might actually be the original game.

Deeds

no text
#1: Original story or based on a game? If it were to be based on a game, I think that would be pretty cool. It would be like reading a book before watching a movie, really satisfying, in my opinion. If it were an original story, they'd probably ruin the whole zelda concept if the movie had nothing to do with the developers of LoZ.

#2: If the movie was based specifically on one of the games, which would you want them to start with? Start with SS - OoT - MM.

#3: Animated or live-action? Animated CGI, they'd never get any of the actors right, and there's a chance if they did get one right, he/she might not want to do the next one - I hate it when that happens.

#4: Link as a full character or silent passerby? I agree with you on this one, having him in the middle would be just perfect.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
#1: Original story or based on a game?
I think it should be based on a game, but it would have to be careful with it and not miss out anything important. I don't think it would work if they tried to come up with an original story.

#2: If the movie was based specifically on one of the games, which would you want them to start with?
I want to say OoT then MM then go back to SS as a prequel. However, I know this would never work in the movies because people that haven't played it would be like WTF. So I think SS- OoT for definite. But then MM is so different from the other games I'm not sure how it would work. Possibly then move onto TP or Windwaker (or both if they go by official timeline)

#3: Animated or live-action?
Live action! I know it would cause a thousand arguments over the actors, but I think that would only happen if they tried to cast well-known actors to play people. Instead, I think if they cast from unknowns, it would be better because they would be an open book, and also you would be more likely to get someone with a bit of enthusiasm. I don't think animated would work because it would be unrealistic and nobody would pay attention to the story, which would have to be the point of the movie. It would suck majorly if it was animated.

#4: Link as a full character or silent passerby?
I think maybe just have Link as quiet, but not completely silent. It's hard to create sympathy for someone who never speaks, or build a character on them, but it would go against the grain to have him as a loud mouth. Perhaps he would just be shy.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Watching a movie based on an already existing story of a game seems silly to me, it would essentially be retelling a story. If a Zelda movie is ever made I'd rather they make their own story completely with different characters and setting just inspired by the games, something like Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time did. They had characters & story inspired by the game but then again a thing of it's own. ^^

Inspiration in story I'd pick from a few games, although remove the dungeon portions since It'd be boring watching a guy in green clothes fighting his way through 10 different dungeons for 2 hours. If I were the writer I'd combine the prologue setting of TWW with the main plot of TP and the epilogue of OoT. We'd have a regular guy on an island (Outset Island) somewhere who looses a person close to him, sets out to save them and discovers a whole new world plagued by a darkness (twilight) of some villain then ending with a final showdown at the villains castle (Ganon's Tower). Either that or a trilogy like LotR, then they could focus on the story of even more characters.

tl;dr :kawaii:

Most important to me would be not to make it too similar to an already existing game's story, rather inspired by multiple games. Picking out the best parts of each game and combining them to form an entirely new story that yet at the same time feels familiar. Link should definitely talk and be his own character, would make for an awesome character development. :xd:

Watching a movie based on an already existing story of a game seems silly to me, it would essentially be retelling a story. If a Zelda movie is ever made I'd rather they make their own story completely with different characters and setting just inspired by the games, something like Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time did. They had characters & story inspired by the game but then again a thing of it's own. ^^

Inspiration in story I'd pick from a few games, although remove the dungeon portions since It'd be boring watching a guy in green clothes fighting his way through 10 different dungeons for 2 hours. If I were the writer I'd combine the prologue setting of TWW with the main plot of TP and the epilogue of OoT. We'd have a regular guy on an island (Outset Island) somewhere who looses a person close to him, sets out to save them and discovers a whole new world plagued by a darkness (twilight) of some villain then ending with a final showdown at the villains castle (Ganon's Tower). Either that or a trilogy like LotR, then they could focus on the story of even more characters.

tl;dr :kawaii:

Most important to me would be not to make it too similar to an already existing game's story, rather inspired by multiple games. Picking out the best parts of each game and combining them to form an entirely new story that yet at the same time feels familiar. Link should definitely talk and be his own character, would make for an awesome character development. :xd:

Hmm...interesting and effective points there. You're right about having to redo the dungeon system if they made a Zelda movie; it makes for great gameplay, but we're not going to want to watch Link push blocks onto switches and light torches for the next two hours. Maybe elements from those dungeons incorporated into their general areas in addition to the appearance of bosses and some clever puzzles, but using dungeons themselves, in full, might be a bad idea.

It's also an interesting idea to craft a Zelda story that takes place over two or three movies rather than cramming it all into one. All the dungeons could actually be fleshed out of this method was used. However, it does kind of lend itself to only original stories, as trilogies get time-consuming and expensive. Can you imagine the whole Zelda series being made of trilogies? That's about forty-eight movies right there. How many years would it take to make them all?

And this goes without saying, but we need a development team who are both big fans of the games and run a talented gig, right down to cast and writing. Just picture sitting in a theater, watching the previews, when a trailer for The Legend of Zelda comes up and the narrator goes, "From the director that brought you the Resident Evil movies...." Who else would be horrified?

Original story or based on a game?
Two ways i can go with this. IF this movie were to be handled by Nintendo in the same way the Tekken and Resident Evil CGI films are handled by Capcom, then I'd want an original story that fits into the canon of the franchise.

If the movie was based specifically on one of the games, which would you want them to start with?
THEY would probably go with OoT (being the most famous installment) or TP (being the most generic and action orientated one). But I'd like then to go with the Wind Waker, not that i'd like to see the Wind Waker be made of mockery of in a movie but if it did well and the sequels came out then I'm sure Ph and ST would work better as movies than they did games.

Animated or live-action?
Animated CGI like Tekken: Blood Vengeance and Resident Evil Degeneration and Damnation.

Link as a full character or silent passerby?
This is why a Zelda movie won't work, a movie is not a game, in a movie Link cannot be a surrogate, and it wouldn't be interesting for the viewer to follow a completely silent character through an entire movie, it'd feel alien and the viewer wouldn't be able to associate with Link at all, his silence woks in a video game when the player is for the most part concentrating on playing the game rather than watching images pass by. In a movie (particularly one as mainstream as a Zelda movie would be) Link would have to talk and i can't see Nintendo making a very good job of that given what they did to Samus recently.

I just invisioned Link in OoT's forest temple when he first confronts a wallmaster... it was epic. :D

I think the first movie should be based off of SS, since it already has LOTS of dialouge, including pre-bossfight Girahim monologe that could be turned into banter. XD The next one could be OoT

Live action please, seeing Link's emotions and struggles just wouldn't work as well if it wasn't live action. Imagine a scene where the water temple suddenly becomes a churning whirlpool that he must pull himself from. (so what if that isn't in the game, they have to make it more interesting than Link constantly changing water levels)

Plus I want live action just because it has more realistic graphics,and it would be nice to see a realistic HD Zelda. XD

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
#1: Original story or based on a game?

I'd prefer an original story that borrowed key elements common to Zelda games. An original story would give me a new story to look forward to. I enjoy movies more when I don't know the entire plot beforehand. Sometimes knowing the story beforehand can lead to disappointment with the movie. Have you ever read the book, then watched the movie? Most of the time the book is better because you go in with preconceived notions about how the movie is going to turn out. You find that the movie isn't quite like you imagined from reading the book. Certain things get omitted or altered.

#2: If the movie was based specifically on one of the games, which would you want them to start with?

I think Ocarina of Time would have the most potential for a blockbuster film because that's the most well-known and played Zelda game. However, I think Twilight Princess would make a really good movie because of its linear story focus. Majora's Mask would be interesting with the moon falling down on Termina in 3 days theme. However, I don't know how well the game would translate to a movie since Majora's Mask is so sidequest heavy. You would probably have to omit alot of things from the game to have a more coherent movie that doesn't go all over the place.

#3: Animated or live-action?

I'm fine with either but I think I would prefer live-action just because I prefer the more realistic-looking graphics style. I think it would depend on what Zelda game it was based off of though. A game that uses more cartoony graphics like Wind Waker would suit the animation style well. In a darker game like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess, it just wouldn't look right and a more realistic, live-action approach would be the way to go.

Do you want his past and motivations to pop up, making him a full character like anyone else, or a reticent hero whose background and personal motivations are never expounded on?

I'd like him to be a fully developed character but at the same time I want him to stay true to who he is in the games. A character who is silent and lets his actions speak for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom